Identification Required For Soi Cowboy?

Woofer

These identification checks are a joke. I remember going into a club in Thong Lor using my work-permit as ID. The guy on the door checked my work-permit and then asked me to show him where my date of birth was as he couldn't find it. I asked him why he needed to see my date of birth. He said he wanted proof that I was over 20 years old. :D I told him that all he had to do was look at my face as it's fairly obvious that I am over 20 years old. Once he had read the proof that I was 32 years old. I was allowed to enter the club - yippee!! :D

I can laugh this kind of stupidity off as I live in Bangkok. I'm used to it. It will be funny if they start asking tourists to prove their age. I can just imagine the fun and games when a group of lads just off the plane being are asked for ID when they try to enter Cowboy. :o:D

Edited by Spit the Dog

I went to a club in Thong Lor and no problems getting in...the following week, asked for ID, showed British driving license but without my passport no way was i getting in. It was the same guy, i am sure he recognised me from the previous week too. I dont look my age (30) but i sure look over 20!

As a poster has already stated living here you do sort of get used to it but for a tourist, that is ridiculous!

I always have an updated copy of my passport with latest entry stamps. A Thai driving license valid for 5 years is also in my wallet.

You folks must be stupid to enter a venue without any kind of photo ID.

How do you treat foreigners without ID in your home country??

I always have an updated copy of my passport with latest entry stamps. A Thai driving license valid for 5 years is also in my wallet.

You folks must be stupid to enter a venue without any kind of photo ID.

I agree identification is needed. Drivers License should suffice or copy of your passport. Oh Christ just go get a forgery made and carry that with you. :o

I think you can have a passport copy certified at imigration for a few bath. That copy should then be valid as identification for imigration purposes.

Well worth the time and effort if you are going to spend some time in LOS.

People running around in Thaiand without valid ID must be IQ Zero.

Keep a photo copy of passport in your wallet, and keep a Thai and/or national Photo ID with you, Should be basic!

We have runned this topic for years here now, use the search function:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=Search

Cheers!

I think you can have a passport copy certified at imigration for a few bath. That copy should then be valid as identification for imigration purposes.

Well worth the time and effort if you are going to spend some time in LOS.

we give 'em free medical and dental care , free housing and food for them and their families , free schooling for the kids , free legal aid , free interpreters.

any chance of that here ?? :o

I believe technically your suppose to have your actual passport on your person, but no one does.

Like everyone else, a current photocopy has sufficed for most ID checks I had to deal with, (I remember the Mystic always wanted to see ID), :o

we give 'em free medical and dental care , free housing and food for them and their families , free schooling for the kids , free legal aid , free interpreters.

In the UK, if a policeman walked up to a foreigner in the street and asked them to produce ID, almost certainly complaints would be made to the authorities about police harassment.

In the UK, if a policeman walked up to a foreigner in the street and asked them to produce ID, almost certainly complaints would be made to the authorities about police harassment.

Yup. A UK police officer does not have the automatic, legal right to demand your name or ID. The only exception are if you are driving a vehicle in which case he can demand licence, tax and MOT and possibly some immigration and terrorism laws (of which I am a bit sketchy on).

Carrying the previous point fwd, we're NOT in London or Oklahoma, or Timbuktoo- Thai authortities can ask to see your I.D. at anytime. I too keep a scanned passport copy in my wallett at all times, just makes sense and only takes a sec. You'll prob never need to show it but you may be thankful if they ask :D

"Pee in this cup and let's see your passport pls" comes to mind... :o

Edited by baht&sold

Been stopped 5-6 times in 13 years on cross country trips. Thai DL has always worked even at stops where it was clear the MIB was shuffling around waiting for a"tip". Didn't get one. I keep a minature copy of my passport, my Thai DL and my university photo ID in my wallet. My passport is never more then a few minutes away. University sticker on my car windscreen seems to keep them at bay a little more now.

Slightly outside the topic but apart from a copy of my passport I have made a credit card size, laminated, personal ID with a photo, passport details, blood group, insurance details/contact numbers and a few family and friends contact numbers.

Hope it's never needed but in the case I get knocked over they will know who to contact and that I'm insured so medical help should be no problem.

Slightly outside the topic but apart from a copy of my passport I have made a credit card size, laminated, personal ID with a photo, passport details, blood group, insurance details/contact numbers and a few family and friends contact numbers.

Hope it's never needed but in the case I get knocked over they will know who to contact and that I'm insured so medical help should be no problem.

Good idea, didn't think about notification information.

Carrying the previous point fwd, we're NOT in London or Oklahoma, or Timbuktoo- Thai authortities can ask to see your I.D. at anytime. I too keep a scanned passport copy in my wallett at all times, just makes sense and only takes a sec.  :

Spot on ...think Thai...not US-UK-U anywhere else...

Apart from Airports/Embassys in/out I have never been asked to show any iD in any country that I have worked in ..including the dodgy ones but common sense says be prepared.

As above scan the pp/laminate and carry a Thai D.L(handy for local price tics), business card with name -photo(smile)and maybe a wee Thai-UK flag on it (use your imagination)and best of all I have copy of K.W Thai ID on which she has inscribed.."If in Doubt phone ME". :D

Trouble is I dont look suspicious.

When I last pulled over a policeman in Patti (minor situation-long story)...he ran away saying he not want to get involved ...thank you...chok dee na krup etc.... :o:D