Cheap Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean Restaurants?

timmyp

Looking for a tasty but cheap Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean restaurant, where the main-course plates are around 150 baht. Cheaper is even better!

Kebabs, humus, falafel, grape leaves... Lebanese, Israeli, Persian, Greek, not really sure what the differences are, I love it ALL.

My goal is to pig out shamelessly on food from that region, to completely over-indulge, but on the cheap. I've found some fancier places in BKK, but it looks like a decent amount of food will easily clear 500 baht. Any tips on some cheaper but yummy, full-volume spots? A Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean joint where I can consume a good 4000 calories of main-course dishes for under 500 baht?

Many thanks to those with any tips!

:rolleyes:

There's a place on Soi 3 Sukhumvit called Scharazade...not sure if it is spelled like that though..close to where Soi 3 meets Sukhumvit road. It may be a little more expensive than what you asked for...but as I recall there were 4 of us that ate there and the total bill was less than 1500 Baht for a LOT of good food. That was however over 15 years ago...so I'm not even sure if it is stil open. But if it is, be sure to try it.

Some points though:

1. It used to be run by an Iranian living here in Bangkok. He was a devout Muslim and he served NO ALCHOHOL for that reason. He may have sold the place now, but just keep that in mind if you must have a beer with your meal.

2. They used to do Beef and Lamp Kebabs outside on a grill. If that is still the case then by all means DO order the Lamb Kebab...it was really good with the meat seasoned perfectly with spices.

3. The food is a mix of Lebanese, Turkish, and Arabic style dishes...all very good...and the portions were large sized.

4. The owner used to be an Iranian whose family left Iran to get away from Khomani and his bunch. He may have sold the place by now...but just so you know.

5. His female waitresses all wore head coverings...the owner was a devout but not a fundamentalist Muslim.

I wasn't there but I believe he closes for prayer call times, usually 15 minutes each time at the most. There is a small Mosque upstairs, so you will see Muslims passing in and out to go up there and pray.

If it is still open, try it. The food was REALLY GOOD.

:lol:

:lol:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

These tips are just what I need! I have scheduled my shameless hedonism for next Friday night, so will make may way down Soi 3 then to dine at the recommended spots.