Abuse Of Phuket Tourists: 'Bar Mafia’ Crackdown Looms

webfact

I appreciated your sarcastic retort regarding the tuk tuks and jet ski's.... When I read they other guys comment stating no mention of them in the report? I did chuckle.. he obviously didn't get your witticism.. His reply was more funny that the thought of Russians ripping off Russians! :)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments on Thai people are observations based on experience and 7 years of living here.

The suggestion they seem to be racist is a joke because I work with over 3,000 THAI children and 180 teachers every day.

Also I am the only Farang not just at my school but also in my small town of about 25,000 THAI people.

It is because of people with strong farang opinions and racist attitudes I prefer NOT TO live amongst farangs

You didn't think that post through did you ?

Arthur, respect for the insanely funny retort! 555555555555555555555555555555555555

I have been a teacher here for 6 years and the government makes it harder every year for foreign teachers to work here and yet they let this scum open businesses and extort money from people.

It all comes down to money. MOST ( not all ) Thais do not have principles they can be easily bought.

Of course they are charging high prices because they have to pay off the police to stay in business.

If the government paid police a decent wage and got rid of most of it's existing police force we may actually have some law and order here, and the Thai people may even start to respect the police. Then the foreign mafia ( with Thai interests ) would have to move to another country. jap.gif

If they paid the Police a "decent" wage . that would achieve nothing... they (the police) find that tea money a part and a way of life..... if you gave them a 500% increase it wouldnt change a thing...

Bottom line is nobody is holding a gun to your head... if people cant adapt to the Thai way then go somewhere they feel more at ease ....

I read both stories and where did it say the TUT-TUT and jet ski operators where falanga. The story was about bar owners.

Oooooooohhh the irony!

I have been a teacher here for 6 years and the government makes it harder every year for foreign teachers to work here and yet they let this scum open businesses and extort money from people.

It all comes down to money. MOST ( not all ) Thais do not have principles they can be easily bought.

Of course they are charging high prices because they have to pay off the police to stay in business.

Get a real job and you could afford to go to the bars :whistling:

Why would anyone want to visit, let alone live, in a corrupt cesspool like Thailand ? Admit it guys, you are all there primarily for the culture.....bwaaahaaaahaaa.

Yes, I spent 12 months over a 3 year period living it up. But trust me guys, if you get back to civilization and get a REAL girlfriend your self-respect CAN be revived.

12 months over 3 years???? Wow you must know so much about Thailand :lol:

Sounds like sour grapes and jealousy to me, save up for a few years in your gloomy country and you might be able to afford to come back for a few more months, lol

If you notice the emphasis on a REAL girlfriend, you may well surmise that it took him 12 months to work out the she was a he.:( Which may be why he has cesspool on his mind.B)

Pay each round is a good idea in strange territory. May I add another - don't go back to a bar on the same night. Friend has several beers, pays bin and leaves, comes back 2 hours later and has 1 more - looking for a lady who caught his eye, and gets the old bill re-presented plus 1.

Try explaining that to the BIB.

This is just the way Thailand is set up - as discusting as it all is - i can assure you when you stay here long enough its do or die..

I run a business here importing cheap products to sell to Thais

Once it reaches Thai customs it is hit hard on customs tax - it is them almost always held due to some bogus claim that paper work is incorrect or some blatent lie... to get it our requires a under the table payment (no reciept)

automatically before business even begins my company has broke the law - and i have paid for something without a receipt.

Then comes the other pay offs, the high taxes and beurocratic road blocks that appear on a daily basis...

this country is purely built on lies, cheating, and dishonesty - from the deepest roots all the way to the top...

anyone who stays here long enough - you may arrive a morally upstanding citizen with your head screwed on and a good heart

i challenge you to keep this after a few years of doing business here...

Yes, mainly Germans and Russians

“Foreign mafia are mostly Russian and German. They open bars and charge much higher prices than their competitors.

“For example, they might charge 200 baht for [a small] bottle of beer that usually sells for around 80 baht to100 baht a bottle at other bars. They exploit consumers,” he said.

The whole story is a joke. When the iron curtain fell, Germany was suddenly filled with Russians, Albanians and other nationalities.

After a while there was no more German pimp in a German brothel.

The so called Russian- Germans came to Germany, holding a document, for ex. that the Granddad's brother was a German. These documents were so easy to buy in Moscow and also very cheap.

The joke about it was that German authorities couldn't prove the documents and within days, they all had a nice place to stay, a German passport and so on. Not long and they took over the whole illegal business.

Guns, drugs, prostitution and the Russians, now being Germans killed anybody being in their way.

The good old German pimps, who showed up with a baseball rag, when there was a problem between them completely disappeared.

The German government even helped them to have German sounding names, needless to say that most of them became rich, plus receiving welfare from Germany.

Many of the 'new Germans' were veterans, who fought in Afghanistan, none of them was using a baseball rag to solve a problem. They shot first and there was no more talking afterwards..........

Because of the weird laws to let them into Germany, some of them just showing a fake document, made so many Russian mafiosis to German citizens.

As a matter of fact, the "Russians, now holding a German passport with all the rights scare the shit out of the ordinary German people.

The so called "German Mafia" was never existing in Thailand.

Of course there are always some criminals from Germany, but you can't consider some individuals, doing something illegal "The German Mafia".

They shoot first...............................:jap:

Second that...i had to do a little time,like 10 years back(when germany gave out german passports for people that had proof that before the war they(or family) lived on german territory) and the whole place was filled up with russians holding a german passport and telling me that this german prison is like holiday for them.And they meant it!

There is no such thing as german mafia,they are all russians!

There are also other scams operated by the farang restaurant owners, especially in Pattaya where I have witnessed these myself.

A customer goes into a restaurant views the menu and orders a meal. When finished the meal and the bill arrives, the bill is over twice the amount that was displayed on the menu. When the customer requests to see the menu again, he/she is shown a similar menu but it has different prices listed under the photos.

Also sometimes a girl will begin to chat with the customer during the meal and all in innocence the customer may buy her a drink. If he falls for her charms and purchases a drink for the girl, he could be charged an additional 2000 baht, the owner claiming that the customer had hired the services of the girl as a hostess

The only way to solve this problem is to close down these bars and restaurants then deport the owners, but I doubt if this will ever happen.

Before long this illegal practice could spread to Chiang Mai where farangs have already got a strong foothold in the bar, massage parlour and restaurant businesses.

My advice to the tourists is; avoid these places unless you are with a group of around 20 other guys, they are becoming extremely risky and dangerous places, somewhat like Soho in the UK during the 1960s and 70s.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Why would anyone want to visit, let alone live, in a corrupt cesspool like Thailand ? Admit it guys, you are all there primarily for the culture.....bwaaahaaaahaaa.

Yes, I spent 12 months over a 3 year period living it up. But trust me guys, if you get back to civilization and get a REAL girlfriend your self-respect CAN be revived.

I spent 100 or so months over ten years, you just have to take Thailand for what it is. Use your brain, stay out of trouble, let go of control, take advantage of all great benefits and let the other bull roll of your back.

No doubt the greatest reason for living in Thailand is the women and some real loser men end up in Thailand to do nothing but chase bar girls. But those guys were losers before the came here to, who cares, they are certainly not every man who moved to LOS.

Truth is, if you happen to not be a loser, and if you are a clever guy that can make a good life for himself in the West, you may be able to double down here in Thailand.

My advice to the tourists is; avoid these places unless you are with a group of around 20 other guys

Does anyones knows how many US Navy guys were overwhelmed by the Tuk Tuk drivers last time? 3000-5000? how many people those military ships were carrying? and i guess they also had a bit more training in an "hostile" environment then the average tourists.....ehhrmm :D

In that case, I agree with Johncat1!

EDIT: After reading Arthur's comment about Johncat1, I am recanting my support for Johncat1 and switching to being an avid worshiper of Arthur.

Yes, I do have Italian blood in me! dam_n it!

Ictus or just PDL ?

Tourist police were called. When the wife spoke to one the tourist police on the side to enquire why this happens he screemed at her to %&*$ off from Thailand! Finally the reality of how it really is here...if you don't tow the line and just cough up like all good "quality" tourists should then £$%& off.

Thank you for sharing this precious piece of information, which can only give more strenght to my opinion of them and hopefully can open up the eyes of whom is still refusing to see things for what they (sadly) are....

I sleep contented in the knowledge that I can do it all over again the next day!!!

I do not deny that corruption is endemic in Thailand but you have to accept and put up with what is really a mild irritant taking all things into account.

You stick to your mundane lifestyle and I'll carry on with mine in the cess pit 'thank you very much'!!! I think that I know who is enjoying their life more out of the two of us.

Stay in the West and do us all a favour matey as it is people like you that is turning it into the cess pool you make Thailand out to be!!!

SichonSteve, in your post you are claiming that someone which is refusing to put his cash into a corrupted system is the one guilty of "turning Thailand into a cess pool" by advocating a sort of boycot, while you are in fact accepting this crap because you can enjoy a decent lifestyle :blink: What if the perpetrators suddenly decide to increase their pressure, possibly for just pure greed and your lifestyle become badly affected by this? What do you think is going to prevent them from becoming even a worse "cancer" on this society? the fear of the law? :lol: I really feel sorry for all those honest people on the island that are being affected because there is little or no action against the "mafia", people should stand up for their rights and deserve to live a decent life, we already have enough problems to deal with on this world, as natural calamities, sickness, etc... surely we don't need someone to create this artificial man made evil stuff as well on top of it.....

Do what I do; don't go to Phuket.

Agree with you 100 % why pay more for everything just because it is Phuket and the BIB stop you every 100 metres on the beach road for their cop of the gravy train.

"For example, they might charge 200 baht for [a small] bottle of beer that usually sells for around 80 baht to100 baht a bottle at other bars. They exploit consumers," he said.

Every bar usually has a privce list somewhere in the open. I was in Patong a number of times and if I see the price of my drink double than other bar, I get up and walk away to other place. I don't see the problem when they charge 200 for a beer if it costs 80-100 elsewhere. Nobody forces touris to stay in any particular bar - get up and leave! End of problem.

If they try to charge you more than you actually ordered - that is a scam but don't get shit-face drunk and chances are it won't happen to you.

The best way to avoid getting overcharged is to pay as you go, one drink at a time. Then you can get up and leave anytime without any argument.

Everybody have to live with his Disadvantages

I even have to sleep with mine :-)

My Girlfriend has a very well payed Job in the Centara Hotel here in Pattaya

Never asked for any "Setang"

Is this your mentioned "Selfrespect"?

Most girls never ask for one Satang for an understandable reason. It might pop up when you marry her..........

Please do not tell us that a girl working in a hotel is making very good money.

Is this the place where she's working? Good luck Chuck................:jap:

post-108180-0-35114600-1305966461_thumb.

Vote with your feet...Do not go in these places....Keep an eye on your Check-bin...better still your Thai G/f to do it...Don;t get smashed...or angry towards Thais.

Yes agreed on The Russians...why this reciprocal Visa agreement exists with Russia is beyond me...must be good corruption income.Very brash aggressive and ignorant culture.

Germans...never known them to be aggro in Phuket...they have a huge community in Naklua...with many great bars and restaurants at sensible prices.They hate the Russians...with good reason..."Don't mention the War".

Everyone seems to agree we are used as scapegoats and all in all treated as mugs, will the day ever come where we just pack up and leave.....??

"Everyone" agrees do they? That's simply not true. Personally I could never stay in a place that I had such a negative impression of. At least you have got the solution to your problem worked out. Bye bye!! Meanwhile I'm going to keep on picking up my substantial pay checks and really not caring if the authorities decide to pick on some small time farang losers in Phuket. Anyway it is Saturday afternoon and time for a drink in a Thai owned bar where the only possibility of trouble is from one of the other farang customers. Enjoy your misery sir and don't think about leaving. Do it.You mind find that life isn't so bad after all when you are on the plane back to Russia or wherever:-)

Maybe I am weird but for me about the the best things about Phuket

# water sports, kite surf, surf, swimming, jog along beach

# Da Michelle Pizza

# Farang Food restaurant next to Index

# decent thai food in certain places

# motorbike rented to avoid tuk tuks.

# focus is not Patong

# usually asleep by 2100

simple answer to all of this is make a standard charge for bottles of beer through all bars whether foreign or Thai - say 80 baht small and 110 large then there can be no quibble and make it law that the tarrif has to be shown on a sign on all bars in the bar area the customer knows what he or she will be expected to pay

would make it all a much friendlier place all round if all is the same - any bar owners charging more should be liable to a 100,000 baht fine and closure for 3 months - there wont be so much robbing going on towards anyone then.

simple answer to all of this is make a standard charge for bottles of beer through all bars whether foreign or Thai - say 80 baht small and 110 large then there can be no quibble and make it law that the tarrif has to be shown on a sign on all bars in the bar area the customer knows what he or she will be expected to pay

would make it all a much friendlier place all round if all is the same - any bar owners charging more should be liable to a 100,000 baht fine and closure for 3 months - there wont be so much robbing going on towards anyone then.

A simplistic solution that is totally unrealistic.

So, I presume you will also legislate that all bar rents should be the same, too.

Yes, the answer is make another law. Thailand is fill of laws. What it lacks is implementation.

Maybe Caveat Emptor covers this scenario?

# Da Michelle Pizza

# focus is not Patong

# usually asleep by 2100

The farang restaurant in cherng talay is just as good...same person opened both.

Agree with you whole heartedly on all your points....allthough you forgot to mention waking up early as I do (5-6am) and going for a drive to pick up breakfast and watching all the zombies just making it home smile.gif

(id be liar if I said I agreed to jogging along the beach as im too lazy for that)

# Da Michelle Pizza

# focus is not Patong

# usually asleep by 2100

The farang restaurant in cherng talay is just as good...same person opened both.

Agree with you whole heartedly on all your points....allthough you forgot to mention waking up early as I do (5-6am) and going for a drive to pick up breakfast and watching all the zombies just making it home smile.gif

(id be liar if I said I agreed to jogging along the beach as im too lazy for that)

Thanx, didn't know about other farang food. is it closer to beach than the one near index?

6 AM surf check is a double edged sword depending on tide charts, but the wind might be better early vs getting a few cuts and the need for reef walkers. no crowds but often no waves.... but, no tiger sharks or "life and death" swells

Edited by atyclb

They say. " There is none so blind as he who will not see", Vice President Bhuritt Masswongsa. Is that all you really see? :violin:

When I first read the post title. Silly me I thought at last something was going to be done about all the scamming. But just looks like the Local Maffia+BIB are just asking for help with something that they can't control themselves?

jb1