Australian Visit Visas

Australian members may have seen this topic regarding frequency of visits to the UK.

Phuyai has asked in that thread

I realise that this thread concerns UK visitor visa conditions, however, I wonder if a similar guidance/instruction exists for Australian tourist visas. Does any member have knowledge and advice on where such guidance might be found?
I've moved his question to a new topic as I feel it has more chance of being seen by someone who knows the answer than if left in a topic about UK visas.

Can any of our Australian members help out?

The Australian Embassy reserves the right to limit the amount of visas issued to any one applicant. It doesnt state what the limit is.

However.....in the past they have warned people after 3 visas that they wont get another Visitors visa and will have to apply for a more substantive visa such as a spouse visa.

The reason usually given is that the applicant is no longer considered a tourist.

Thank you Graham. Do you think Aust. Immigration (DI&C) is concerned about the number of tourist visas issued to any one person (over a long period or time) or are they concerned about the frequency? The UK guidance seems more related to frequency. Am I correct in understanding a spouse visa has a limited period of validity and if there is no intention to settle in Australia, maintaining contact with an extended family will therefore involve multiple applications for a spouse visa?

Thank you Graham. Do you think Aust. Immigration (DI&C) is concerned about the number of tourist visas issued to any one person (over a long period or time) or are they concerned about the frequency? The UK guidance seems more related to frequency. Am I correct in understanding a spouse visa has a limited period of validity and if there is no intention to settle in Australia, maintaining contact with an extended family will therefore involve multiple applications for a spouse visa?

It would seem that the concern is more about the number of visas issued to one person.

Spouse visa is for those who intend to marry or live de facto and settle in Oz.....there are no multiple applications for spouse visa, it is a single application.

That the spouse visa is intended to be for a person who is married or in a defacto relationship and wants to settle in Australia would seem to be valid reason why such a person who does not want to settle in Australia but who wants to maintain close relationship with an extended family (eg inlaws, adult step children, etc.) would apply for a tourist visa on a frequent basis.

Is it then that Immigration is just implementing a process to test for a genuine reasons for multiple applications for tourist visas? Can I presume that those warned "after 3 visas that they wont get another Visitors visa" were not in a position to make a response and provide a well justified rationale? Or is there more to it than this?

Edited by Phuyai

That the spouse visa is intended to be for a person who is married or in a defacto relationship and wants to settle in Australia would seem to be valid reason why such a person who does not want to settle in Australia but who wants to maintain close relationship with an extended family (eg inlaws, adult step children, etc.) would apply for a tourist visa on a frequent basis.

Is it then that Immigration is just implementing a process to test for a genuine reasons for multiple applications for tourist visas? Can I presume that those warned "after 3 visas that they wont get another Visitors visa" were not in a position to make a response and provide a well justified rationale? Or is there more to it than this?

There are some reports from members here that have been issued with multiple visas over and above the three visas. So it would appear that there is some discretion applied. Once warned that a further tourist visa will not be issued then it is unlikely that, that decision would be overturned.

I think the point is that the Embassy reserves the right to apply discretion where it sees fit and to apply restrictions where it sees fit as well. In other words.....they hold all the cards...... :)

My GF was issued a multiple entry visa (valid for entry for 12 months) after 3 previous restricted VVs.

She always abided by the conditions on every entry, and they accepted she was a genuine visitor with no plans to seek residency.

My wife has had 2 x 3 month tourist visas granted this year in Bangkok.

I know another aussie in Bangkok who's Thai wife has had 5 tourist visas in 4 years.

So it is a guessing game depending on who is in a good mood in the au embassey andif they get your application.

I know another aussie in Bangkok who's Thai wife has had 5 tourist visas in 4 years.

So it is a guessing game depending on who is in a good mood in the au embassey andif they get your application.

The Migration Regulations do not provide for the maximum number of tourist visas someone can apply for. That being said, any application must clearly evidence that the applicants intention is to visit Australia as a genuine visitor only. It may be seen after multiple tourist visas that what the applicant is intending to do is somehow attempt some sort of de-facto residence through multiple tourist visas. This is particularly so if the applicant is in a relationship with an Australian citizen/permanent resident. DIAC may therefore advise that a partner visa may be the more appropriate visa to apply for.

The Migration Regulations do not provide for the maximum number of tourist visas someone can apply for. That being said, any application must clearly evidence that the applicants intention is to visit Australia as a genuine visitor only. It may be seen after multiple tourist visas that what the applicant is intending to do is somehow attempt some sort of de-facto residence through multiple tourist visas. This is particularly so if the applicant is in a relationship with an Australian citizen/permanent resident. DIAC may therefore advise that a partner visa may be the more appropriate visa to apply for.

My wife had 3 x Tourist Visas issued over 2 years. It was not until I was filling out the 4th one that I noticed a box to tick for a 12 month multiple entry Tourist Visa. I ticked it and we have now had 2 x 12 month ones issued. We are now going through Permanent residence Visa applications which should be finalised in August?