Buying A New Car

Chris and Dan

Anyone have experience in buying a new car in Chiang Rai? We are thinking of buying a new Toyota pickup truck from Toyota Chiang Rai. Any feedback on this dealer?

What discounts or 'free' accesories can you bargain for? Any cautions or advice?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone have experience in buying a new car in Chiang Rai? We are thinking of buying a new Toyota pickup truck from Toyota Chiang Rai.  Any feedback on this dealer?

What discounts or 'free' accesories can you bargain for? Any cautions or advice?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It seems to be extremely difficult to get even the smallest accessoire for free.

Somebody bought a Vigo and the deal was almost off: He wanted such a little useless ridiculous parking mirror for free. The thing was threethousand Baht.

When he walked out the salesman finally gave in.

3 on a deal of 700!

A friend wanted to buy a 4wheel 4doors Hilux. He wanted some stuff for free as well (who doesn't?). Impossible! There he was standing with 800 thousand in his hand. He went to the Toyota dealership about ten kms before Maesai (which also belongs to Khun Wanchai Kitsakul) and got what he wanted.

A difference of 12.000 Baht between the two shops!

I hear that you even won't get a simple mat for free if you buy the new Triton.

Talk to Mumbojumbo, he has got the most beautiful Vigo in town. A 2door spacecab high-rider with a high quality carryboy. Not of plastic of course, only Mumbojumbo's tee's (tee's, not theeth) are made of plastic.

Very good mileage! At least if you don't choose for the 2,7 liter benzine engine.

For that matter: With cash and no car to trade in you are a king on the second hand market! But be careful with the smaller dealers, they sometimes change good parts for old one's before they deliver.

Limbo.

Some dealers offer a discount which covers the insurance they offer. Take that discount but don't take the insurance. You get the same insurance six or seven thousand Baht cheaper if you buy it yourself.

Lim.

Generaly speaking a car dealer will make about 11 to 13% profit on the sale of a new car.

Knowing that he must make money at the same time you want a discount, you can expect (and be happy) to have a discount of 7% of the price of the car.

When I bought my last car I went both to Toyota (for the Sportrider) and to Isuzu (for the Adventure).

Here is my technique:

1) Ask the dealer to take a piece of paper and write down the price of the car you want.

2) Ask him to put on the paper every options available for that car, and the price for each item.

3) At this stage, the dealer don't see what's the point of all this.

4) Once he wrote everything down you say: "ok, now what do you give me free among these options?"

5) He will cross a few option he wants to give you free (free mat, free seatbelt cover, ...)

6) Now the dealer will look very happy, but you tell him: "ok, this is what you give free to everybody. But what do you give ME free???"

7) The dealer will feel embarased and cross a few more options.

8) Now that you have the "free for everyone" options and the ones you just extort him, make the count. The total of what you get free will be around 3 to 4% of the total value (maximum).

9) Now you tell him that you know he makes about 13% benefit on a new car. You tell him you are sure he can give you something more (and that you don't want to lose his precious time by talking too much)

10) The dealer will say that he can't give anything more.

11) You insist, and say that you really like his car, but will go to check to the competitor if there is a better offer.

12) The dealer will tell you that the competition can't do better (of course).

13) You say that you believe him but want to think.

14) You let him your telephone number and say that you wait 24 hours for his answer concerning additional free options and in the meantime you will check at the competitor.

15) The dealer will not call you in the 24 hours. He will first wait anxiously for your own call, hoping you are the first to break in this little game, or were just bluffing.

16) After 36 to 48 hours the dealer will call you to know if you made a decision.

17) You tell him that you were waiting his call the day before. Since he didn't call you went to the competition, where you must go back this afternoon to order your new car. But you tell him you will drop by at his place for one more discusion before to place your order.

18) At this point you should have more free options :D

19) Go back to the dealer and say: "ok, let's help eachother, I want all the other options. You pay half, I pay half"... ok?

20) That's it :o

Ok, this worked for Sportrider versus Adventure. Not sure it can work with very successful models that sell very good...

Generaly speaking a car dealer will make about 11 to 13% profit on the sale of a new car.

Knowing that he must make money at the same time you want a discount, you can expect (and be happy) to have a discount of 7% of the price of the car.

When I bought my last car I went both to Toyota (for the Sportrider) and to Isuzu (for the Adventure).

Here is my technique:

1) Ask the dealer to take a piece of paper and write down the price of the car you want.

2) Ask him to put on the paper every options available for that car, and the price for each item.

3) At this stage, the dealer don't see what's the point of all this.

4) Once he wrote everything down you say: "ok, now what do you give me free among these options?"

5) He will cross a few option he wants to give you free (free mat, free seatbelt cover, ...)

6) Now the dealer will look very happy, but you tell him: "ok, this is what you give free to everybody. But what do you give ME free???"

7) The dealer will feel embarased and cross a few more options.

8) Now that you have the "free for everyone" options and the ones you just extort him, make the count. The total of what you get free will be around 3 to 4% of the total value (maximum).

9) Now you tell him that you know he makes about 13% benefit on a new car. You tell him you are sure he can give you something more (and that you don't want to lose his precious time by talking too much)

10) The dealer will say that he can't give anything more.

11) You insist, and say that you really like his car, but will go to check to the competitor if there is a better offer.

12) The dealer will tell you that the competition can't do better (of course).

13) You say that you believe him but want to think.

14) You  let him your telephone number and say that you wait 24 hours for his answer concerning additional free options and in the meantime you will check at the competitor.

15) The dealer will not call you in the 24 hours. He will first wait anxiously for your own call, hoping you are the first to break in this little game, or were just bluffing.

16) After 36 to 48 hours the dealer will call you to know if you made a decision.

17) You tell him that you were waiting his call the day before. Since he didn't call you went to the competition, where you must go back this afternoon to order your new car. But you tell him you will drop by at his place for one more discusion before to place your order.

18) At this point you should have more free options  :D 

19) Go back to the dealer and say: "ok, let's help eachother, I want all the other options. You pay half, I pay half"... ok?

20) That's it  :o

Ok, this worked for Sportrider versus Adventure. Not sure it can work with very successful models that sell very good...

Excellent, love it :D Hope it works

Brilliant Mr. Gerry1011!

I should have asked you six weeks ago.

I had a little handicap: I wanted to trade in a car.

But I also used part of your tactics.

I went to the shop (Ford), showed my interest for three alternatives, dropped my telephone number and asked the sales manager to phone me with 'an offer I couldn't refuse' (OK, I saw a lot of American movies, so this line isn't mine).

After a week he phoned and we came to an arangement.

Thanks for the great tip!

Limbo.