BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
hellyes2oo2

Farang Connection

I was in Surin on saturday with a friend, and at lunchtime we called into the Farang Connection to get some food. The waitress gave us the menu, and we both decided to have the roast beef dinner, so off she went, only to return a few minutes later to tell us they had no roast beef. So we went through the menu again, and to keep things simple we ordered fish, chips and mushy peas twice, off she went again,she came out of the kitchen, sat down at a table and we waited for our meal, a few minutes later she went back into the kitchen, then came to inform us that they had not got fish.So we gave it one more try, ordered the cheese and potatoe pie twice.And guess what....after a few minutes she informed us that they did not have any. So three meals ordered, nothing in stock, and when we said we would just finish our drinks and not bother eating we got a glaring look from the waitress as if to say i don't care. It is amazing how far this place has gone down, since martin passed, he must be turning in his grave.

I had a decent meal and service when I was there in March. :ermm:

I was there late last year and although we only ordered a steakburger and hamburger, i did notice a couple that had ordered and were tucking into something a bit more unique. I think snitzel from memory.

As i was staying in town i made a habit of looking in occasionally yet there never seemed to be anyone in the place..even the staff were keeping a low profile. The competition directly accross the road seemed to be doing somewhat better,although it was pretty quiet there too.

I am guessing if there is no farang prescence in management the Thais would not be bothered to pay for, and have on hand, all of that huge menu...especially since there is no telling how long it would be before they sold any of it. Most of that stuff would be frozen one would think?

Anyway, I assume Martin, who the OP refers to, was the owner/manager with his wife who were pictured on the menu? I dont think i ever saw Martin at that stage, maybe he had already passed.

RIP Martin..

Its a shame to hear of his passing..when did this happen OP?

Edited by tingtongtourist

Martin's funeral (cremation) RIP., was in January 2010.

Edited by bergen

I enjoy a breakfast at FC. Never tried over the road - will do as soon as i return

Needless speculation and rumor and the resulting bickering from rumor mongering have been removed.

Needless speculation and rumor and the resulting bickering from rumor mongering have been removed.

And i thought this thread would have been quiet harmless...how do they do it? :o

And i thought this thread would have been quiet harmless...how do they do it? :o

Beats the heck out of me, even after all these years.

Beats the heck out of me, even after all these years.

There seem to be a couple of forums where spleen is the default.

The lady who owns the FC doesnt deserve anyones service! Wont go into how she treated her husband who has now passed away but she treats farangs like idiots and is currently trying to rip me off over a deposit for rent on a house. Not replied to any emails for over a week now so will be going to the shop to have it out with her.

Apart from that the one and only time I went my wife got a curry that seemed to be a microwaved curry, watery, oily and bland. I got the breakfast and 15 minutes later it was a race to get to the toilet.

This poster knows his onions.

I will never set foot in this place again.

The lady who owns the FC doesnt deserve anyones service! Wont go into how she treated her husband who has now passed away but she treats farangs like idiots and is currently trying to rip me off over a deposit for rent on a house. Not replied to any emails for over a week now so will be going to the shop to have it out with her.

Apart from that the one and only time I went my wife got a curry that seemed to be a microwaved curry, watery, oily and bland. I got the breakfast and 15 minutes later it was a race to get to the toilet.

Farang connection was never much chop(pun intended) even when Martin was around. Food was expensive and bland. Service levels were poor from staff. Martin could be a charming and likeable person when he chose to be. I was a regular visitor to Farang connection and was annoyed at the numerous complaints from newcomers/visitors about both the poor service and poor food quality. In the end I chose to eat elsewhere and went there to chat to the locals when I was in town who are mostly a good bunch.

However to most new falang it was the only place they knew about and it was a meeting place for the local drinkers. At least you could speak English to the owner and had a reasonable chance of getting what you wanted. Now of course few if any of the staff have any english at all. My last visit there I was watching the tennis with a friend when the current owners(Sunnee?) boyfriend came in and changed the channel to the english football, put his feet up on the table and proceeded to read the local paper. My friend and I paid our bill and have never been back!

There are many many better options now in Surin and quite frankly if you run a business with bad service, employ staff with no or little english,, have high prices and poor quality food you can not expect to receive glowing reports from customers. It all comes down to a lack of management skills and a I don't care attitude from both management and staff.

This business could be turned around very quickly and if it was would benefit Surin as most people coming to Surin for the first time gravitate to this place as it has advertised well over the years. It is a pity that visitors to Surin will more than likely leave with a bad impression of the town due to this poorly run business!

Edited by tlcwaterfall

ticwaterfall.very well said.couldnt have summed it up better myself.excellent post

Yep. Even if it is an unfortunate circumstance...

Farang connection was never much chop(pun intended) even when Martin was around. Food was expensive and bland. Service levels were poor from staff. Martin could be a charming and likeable person when he chose to be. I was a regular visitor to Farang connection and was annoyed at the numerous complaints from newcomers/visitors about both the poor service and poor food quality. In the end I chose to eat elsewhere and went there to chat to the locals when I was in town who are mostly a good bunch.

However to most new falang it was the only place they knew about and it was a meeting place for the local drinkers. At least you could speak English to the owner and had a reasonable chance of getting what you wanted. Now of course few if any of the staff have any english at all. My last visit there I was watching the tennis with a friend when the current owners(Sunnee?) boyfriend came in and changed the channel to the english football, put his feet up on the table and proceeded to read the local paper. My friend and I paid our bill and have never been back!

There are many many better options now in Surin and quite frankly if you run a business with bad service, employ staff with no or little english,, have high prices and poor quality food you can not expect to receive glowing reports from customers. It all comes down to a lack of management skills and a I don't care attitude from both management and staff.

This business could be turned around very quickly and if it was would benefit Surin as most people coming to Surin for the first time gravitate to this place as it has advertised well over the years. It is a pity that visitors to Surin will more than likely leave with a bad impression of the town due to this poorly run business!

After many years reading about the place I managed to get there in 2009.......swore I would never go back, did once more and that was enough...service was siht and the atmosphere terrible, full of pi**ed guys that were having problems with their x bargirl wifes...as for the staff, rude, ignorant and unfriendly....Surin is crying out for a decent bar with a good owner/manager that knows what he is doing.

....Surin is crying out for a decent bar with a good owner/manager that knows what he is doing.

There are. They're just not Farang run, vacant of European fare.

The long and short of it, is that [even to this day] Surin doesn't have a large enough market to legitimize an exclusive hangout the promotes Farang atmosphere and whatnot. Many have gone under even with the best intentions. A couple have survived......barely hanging on and continue to thrive.