BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
hellyes2oo2

Farang Connection

For me, as I have curtailed my drinking now to desert wandering proportions, combined with the fact that my wife is excellent at cooking my favourite dishes, and I enjoy thai food, I find FC carries no draw for me.....I dine out at the soup noodle stalls....:) .

Ah yes, another convert.

Has it's moments, doesn't it?B)

Everything in moderation.

For me, as I have curtailed my drinking now to desert wandering proportions, combined with the fact that my wife is excellent at cooking my favourite dishes, and I enjoy thai food, I find FC carries no draw for me.....I dine out at the soup noodle stalls....:) .

Ah yes, another convert.

Agreed, but you must admit there is the major benefit of having your food in front of you before most restaurants would have arrived with the menu.......:).........also I cannot envisage chewing my way through a pork chop when there is the alternative of bite size chunks fried in a garlic suace.......same with a steak.....why?.....you can make lovely beef strips fried in garlic and honey.......why chew through a steak?.......just my preference of course.......and as for bread.....it is a well known fact that it can give you heartburn.......most probably thought it was the beer......:D

I do understand the craving for some foods, but I got fed up with not enjoying the food as much as my memory thought I would

And yes before you ask I still have all my own teeth.......:)

So what would entice me to Farang connection above anywhere else...................a buffet mix of Thai dishes, European food (Minimal),fresh salad and fruit.........eat all you can for 200 baht.....and free water....:)

Agreed, but you must admit there is the major benefit of having your food in front of you before most restaurants would have arrived with the menu.......:).........also I cannot envisage chewing my way through a pork chop when there is the alternative of bite size chunks fried in a garlic suace.......same with a steak.....why?.....you can make lovely beef strips fried in garlic and honey.......why chew through a steak?.......just my preference of course.......and as for bread.....it is a well known fact that it can give you heartburn.......most probably thought it was the beer......:D

I do understand the craving for some foods, but I got fed up with not enjoying the food as much as my memory thought I would

So what would entice me to Farang connection above anywhere else...................a buffet mix of Thai dishes, European food (Minimal),fresh salad and fruit.........eat all you can for 200 baht.....and free water....:)

I concur, some good ideas here.

Good to see that, after all the (petty) arguing, finally it appears there is something constructive developing with regards to this thread and improving the FC, if possible.

Cheers, MH

Edited by MHayward

Ah yes, another convert.

Great input and suggestions, will forward to Sunny. The other day when I was there most of the dishes ordered that day were European in Flair. The only issue with buffet style is knowing if you're going to have sufficient clients or not to warrant to risk of the amount of foods to be pre-cooked. Maybe having a buffet Friday or something like that to start would work to "test the waters".

Any ideas on that technique?

Great input and suggestions, will forward to Sunny. The other day when I was there most of the dishes ordered that day were European in Flair. The only issue with buffet style is knowing if you're going to have sufficient clients or not to warrant to risk of the amount of foods to be pre-cooked. Maybe having a buffet Friday or something like that to start would work to "test the waters".

Well first you must decide on your market, my thought would be to aim at the Thai market alongside the existing Farang market

Ask your current customers if they would like to give a buffet a try, get their input on preferred dishes introduce some of the huge variety of fruits currently available......the 'farang salad bar' perhaps, the farang fruit is currently available plus, those pink fruit, the red hairy things,water melon, durian, grapes,banana, pineapple a whole list of fruit to try for foreigners and loved by most Thai....I don't know the names of many but I tried at least 3 new ones on my recent family visit and enjoyed them all.... give small samples to try encourage participation especially with the one off visitors......make eating at farang connection an experience.......but a relatively healthy experience......

Perhaps think about recruiting a soup noodle stall operate out front for a while to attract Thai local workers.....just a suggestion, make up snack packs of in season fruit for them to take back to work......

Tom yum is cheap and easy to make, rice, and some greens, barbecued chichen legs and thighs, perhaps a pork dish, maybe a green curry, possibly a fish dish,offer a buffet or individualy priced dishes, the buffet would allow eat 'til full and a cross section of tastes, individual should be one off dish no seconds, but cheap to support the buffet.

Most of the above is relatively cheap to supply easily cooked quickly to refresh a favourite dish that is disappearing, also allowing the dishes to be fresh and not standing around too long

perhaps pick out one popular european dish per buffet

And yes you would have to go gently regarding cost and waste but you cannot afford to pinch on quality or run out unless there is a particular favourite that goes extraordinary well

But there are more capable people here to advise you guys ......Just a few thoughts .......good luck

I have deleted several off topic slanderous posts. Keep on that track ,It will be a private conversation with a suspension. Please DO NOT use this forum for your private beefs.

Well first you must decide on your market, my thought would be to aim at the Thai market alongside the existing Farang market

Ask your current customers if they would like to give a buffet a try, get their input on preferred dishes introduce some of the huge variety of fruits currently available......the 'farang salad bar' perhaps, the farang fruit is currently available plus, those pink fruit, the red hairy things,water melon, durian, grapes,banana, pineapple a whole list of fruit to try for foreigners and loved by most Thai....I don't know the names of many but I tried at least 3 new ones on my recent family visit and enjoyed them all.... give small samples to try encourage participation especially with the one off visitors......make eating at farang connection an experience.......but a relatively healthy experience......

Perhaps think about recruiting a soup noodle stall operate out front for a while to attract Thai local workers.....just a suggestion, make up snack packs of in season fruit for them to take back to work......

Tom yum is cheap and easy to make, rice, and some greens, barbecued chichen legs and thighs, perhaps a pork dish, maybe a green curry, possibly a fish dish,offer a buffet or individualy priced dishes, the buffet would allow eat 'til full and a cross section of tastes, individual should be one off dish no seconds, but cheap to support the buffet.

Most of the above is relatively cheap to supply easily cooked quickly to refresh a favourite dish that is disappearing, also allowing the dishes to be fresh and not standing around too long

perhaps pick out one popular european dish per buffet

And yes you would have to go gently regarding cost and waste but you cannot afford to pinch on quality or run out unless there is a particular favourite that goes extraordinary well

But there are more capable people here to advise you guys ......Just a few thoughts .......good luck

Thanks for taking the time to write a wonderful detailed posting, some great idea here too!

Farang Connection Regulars Friendly Greeting Committee.

I'm picturing this.....

Would just like to ask "zzaa09" if he was born anti-social or if he worked at it. Because if he worked at it, then I have to say, GOD YOU ARE GOOD.A real plonker but good. Why do you think that anyone who wants to help another person, has an ulterior motive.I know I may have upset a few people with my original comments on here, and i'm still not convinced that a lot of the regulars want any change, but at least I apologised if I did upset anyone that I didn't know. Back to the topic. As i said i met "brimacthai" last week and we had a good chat, I gave my opinions on what is wrong, and we seemed to be on the same wavelength. I was disappointed that suni did not have any imput, but hopefully she will follow the suggestions made by myself and many other people on here that want her to revitalise the FC. Hopefully over the coming weeks things will improve and then it will become a good place to go again, but that doesn't mean it has to go back to what it was when martin was running it, it can be more successful by changing with the times, moving on and becoming something different.I would love it to become somewhere where everybody can go and enjoy themselves, someone commented that you can't be all things to all people, sorry to disagree, but you have to try to give a whole range of people what they want. For some it has to be an extention of their living room at home, somewhere they can come and relax, maybe read the paper, or watch tv.For others it needs to be somewhere they can come and enjoy some privacy, just by sitting alone without anyone pressuring them to do anything,for some a place to bring their wives or girlfriends and enjoy a meal and a drink, and for others it is somewhere they can go and let their hair down and have a really good time. But it is up to suni to create that atmosphere. Another thing that I think she needs to do ( especially during the football season ) is open later at night. Now I also realise that not everyone likes football, and i would suggest that she could maybe open the upstairs into a sports bar, with big screen tv, comfortable seating, and a small bar. Because it is not just for football, but all other sports that people might like to watch. And people that don't like sport have the option of staying downstairs. Anyway I just hope that everything works out for her, and all the regulars that have frequented the FC over the years, but remember don't be afraid of change, you never know you might just like it.

Topic closed. Again contravenes forum rules.