Farang Connection

hellyes2oo2

Please explain how the name could possibly be racist?

Lighten up! I'm sure it's just a wee joke.

I stopped off at the FC last month to see a couple of the

local lads who drink there and found it to be fine. I only

drank, didn't eat, and had a pleasant time. I was also the

youngest 'farang' for miles around it seemed as the place

is a bit of an elephant's graveyard - maybe that's why

everything is so slow!

Indeed. Most of the core Farang circles in and around Surin are nothing but fossils :lol::lol:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word "Farang" refers to people of a lighter skin, assumed to be foreign or of foreign origin. I understand that it originates from a time when most foreigners in the region were assumed to be French. It is offensive in the same way that "nigger" refers to people of a dark skin, usually assumed to be African or of African origin. In the UK some years ago people who appeared to be of Asian origin were referred to as "Packies" (i.e. from Pakistan). All such terms are very offensive and racist.

I am a Farang and I am not offended by it.

Now, try again.

Indeed it originates from the fact that many of the first westerners came from France. It is in no way an offencive remark like "nigger" or "packie". It is simply a mis pronunciation of the word "Francais". As you may or not know the Thais, or should I say " people who are born in Thailand" call France "Farangsaid". Again a mis pronunciation of Francais. It is a word that has stuck. No malice what so ever.

Don't forget that the Bar in question was named buy a "farang".

Indeed it originates from the fact that many of the first westerners came from France. It is in no way an offencive remark like "nigger" or "packie". It is simply a mis pronunciation of the word "Francais". As you may or not know the Thais, or should I say " people who are born in Thailand" call France "Farangsaid". Again a mis pronunciation of Francais. It is a word that has stuck. No malice what so ever.

Don't forget that the Bar in question was named buy a "farang".

Indeed. Named by a Farang for Farangs.

Distinctive and focused marketing.

Less effective now perhaps ?

Lighten up! I'm sure it's just a wee joke.

I stopped off at the FC last month to see a couple of the

local lads who drink there and found it to be fine. I only

drank, didn't eat, and had a pleasant time. I was also the

youngest 'farang' for miles around it seemed as the place

is a bit of an elephant's graveyard - maybe that's why

everything is so slow!

elephant's graveyard :lol: That was mean, but it did make me laugh. Do they have a victrola there? :whistling:

TheWalkingMan

Pakkie, Nigger and even Indibum can be construed as offensive, but hardly racist. Farang is a word often used by "farangs" amongst themselves and in that context is not offensive. However, sometimes when used by a Thai in an obviously derogatory way can be deemed offensive.By the same token, where does the oft used "Yank" fit in?

Edited by prakhonchai nick

Pakkie, Nigger and even Indibum can be construed as offensive, but hardly racist. Farang is a word often used by "farangs" amongst themselves and in that context is not offensive. However, sometimes when used by a Thai in an obviously derogatory way can be deemed offensive.By the same token, where does the oft used "Yank" fit in?

What about -septic tank?

Not many farang options left in Surin center now.

Crazy Ivan's place is a great drinking hole but not exactly famed for it's food, more of a night time bar.

FC has gone downhill since Martin passed away.

Starbeam can be good but unless Mike is there you just never know if it's going to be open or not.

Sports bar is alright, nothing special.

Heard good things about Green Mango but not tried it yet.

there is so much better on offer.

I have only ever tried FC and Starbeam. Can you give me some names of some places I would enjoy ( would be nice if they had some imported beer - like warsteiner )

thanks

edit: ok i saw the name sportsman pub, in a later post so will try there

Edited by kunash

I come from the deserts in the South West of the USA. We are described as wetbacks, the Yanks are the Blue bloods from New England, a different country as far as we are concerned.

Where's Green mango? :unsure:

If you are standing on the street looking at Ivan's place, sports bar is to the left and green mango is about 20 metres up the road to the right.

It looks OK and a few people have told me it's OK, I just don't bother with farang places much anymore apart from popping in to say hello to Ivan now and then, so I have not tried it yet.

If you do, let me know what you think.

Where's Green mango? :unsure:

If you are standing on the street looking at Ivan's place, sports bar is to the left and green mango is about 20 metres up the road to the right.

It looks OK and a few people have told me it's OK, I just don't bother with farang places much anymore apart from popping in to say hello to Ivan now and then, so I have not tried it yet.

If you do, let me know what you think.

thanks, remember the place, but haven't been there yet..... :jap:

That can only be a positive for the local society.

Why is there this obsession in place when it comes to Farang eateries catering to Western cuisines, less Farang "hangouts"?

Eat local.....

What about -septic tank?

Took me ages to learn that one !

Good idea to hide behind rhyming slang. What can we use for Farang to pander to the feelings of the more insecure amongst us ?

Prang - no, Cambodian sounds like that.

Chang - no, don't confuse it by using a 6.4% beer.

Satang - no

I will stick with F'rang I think.

Its sad to hear the old place has slipped if the knockers here aren't people with a grudge or vested interest elsewhere that is!! biggrin.gif

I and my cousin (a former member of this board and who knew Martin and Yorkie through the forum) would pass through Surin about twice a month when we were up that way working on a project in Pak Mun and would always head to Surin at weekends for football, food and company.

While the food was not of the calibre of some better supplied places in BKK or Pattaya, it was at worst passable, at best excellent; also after a week of Thai food at some of the backwater places we would be put up near - always more than welcome.

Prices were fair and the welcome always warm from Martin, the staff and the locals.

The bottom line is that places change continually in expat life. People move on, pass away, retire etc and sometimes the legacy of the departee just isn't continued.

What about -septic tank?

Took me ages to learn that one !

Good idea to hide behind rhyming slang. What can we use for Farang to pander to the feelings of the more insecure amongst us ?

Prang - no, Cambodian sounds like that.

Chang - no, don't confuse it by using a 6.4% beer.

Satang - no

I will stick with F'rang I think.

You know how that is, CH. Some have always been amongst these circles that give far to much consideration to the tag "Farang". It becomes a political or socio-political item. I have to wonder if they bring their overt sensitivities with them [predisposed, of course] or can't accept what is. Addressing us as "Farang" would be the worst of our worries, considering that they could easily refer to us as other things.......:rolleyes:

People need to get over themselves.

Edited by zzaa09

Why is there this obsession in place when it comes to Farang eateries catering to Western cuisines, less Farang "hangouts"?

Eat local.....

Noooooooooo thankyou. :D:rolleyes:

Edited by transam

Eat local.....

Nothing to do with obsession, I eat local 99% of the time. But on the rare occasion I feel like eating Western food the options are limited.

Eat local.....

Noooooooooo thankyou. :D:rolleyes:

Then, I guess you're on the losing end.

Best to be in Farangland if you yearn for it's "quality" fare and can't stomach insects, bark, and rotting fish.:whistling:

Being on the side of this eternal debate that believes the word generally inoffensive -- depending on usage -- I hate to see the argument undermined by repetition of unsubstantiated and ill-supported received wisdom (as opposed to research and analysis)...

Indeed it originates from the fact that many of the first westerners came from France...It is simply a mis pronunciation of the word "Francais".

Likely to be not the case though that's commonly believed. It's Indo-European in origin. Many, many other very similar words in other languages with the same meaning and origin.

Persians were here before French. Indians. Portuguese. Look to those antecedents.

We really need a Dinky Di Cockney ,to see if they can come up with something.

I'm no Cockney, but how about:

Meringue. (extra bonus in the spelling)

then there could be.....lemon meringue's......chocolate meringue's........whisky meringue (thats a Scot)

or the ultra abreviated version....... pies.

I am not surprised at all. Once management loses control or relenquishes control, the staff will not do anything they don't have to, such as getting a supply of raw materials.

I remember having a very similar experience at a restaurant called Krua Ake (number one kitchen) in Sattahip.

Formerly it was a fave, but over the years they had lost their luster. The last time I went there was when we finally had to ask them what they DID have in stock, since we ordered three different items all of which we were told they did not have.

The resulting meal was the worst I'd had there, so that was the last time I set foot in the place.

Then, I guess you're on the losing end.

Best to be in Farangland if you yearn for it's "quality" fare and can't stomach insects, bark, and rotting fish.:whistling:

ณงอำ าืน

I've known a few guys who lived in LOS for decades who eat Kao Putt at any Thai venue & spend lavishly on their Falahng food when they can.

I don't get it. When in Rome....

We really need a Dinky Di Cockney ,to see if they can come up with something.

I'm no Cockney, but how about:

Meringue. (extra bonus in the spelling)

then there could be.....lemon meringue's......chocolate meringue's........whisky meringue (thats a Scot)

or the ultra abreviated version....... pies.

Quality post. :wai:

Meringue works for me.

Being on the side of this eternal debate that believes the word generally inoffensive -- depending on usage -- I hate to see the argument undermined by repetition of unsubstantiated and ill-supported received wisdom (as opposed to research and analysis)...

Indeed it originates from the fact that many of the first westerners came from France...It is simply a mis pronunciation of the word "Francais".

Likely to be not the case though that's commonly believed. It's Indo-European in origin. Many, many other very similar words in other languages with the same meaning and origin.

Persians were here before French. Indians. Portuguese. Look to those antecedents.

Good for you Joe!

Most take the likely road as to the etymology of Farang. The expected French and Portuguese offerings have been repeated until forming some model of condition.

There is a firm learned crowd that the terminology derives from Semetic/Persian origins. Yes, some little-known contact [therefore influence] was prevalent outside of the common knowledge.

well folks it's a long time since I posted, but here it is.

If you dont like the place, solution is simple, dont go there, but dont go on whining about it.

I am 1 of a group of fossils, who enjoy a beer and conversation in the afternoon

So if you have a problem, you know the solution, I am sure you can find lot's more things to moan about, get a life

well folks it's a long time since I posted, but here it is.

If you dont like the place, solution is simple, dont go there, but dont go on whining about it.

I am 1 of a group of fossils, who enjoy a beer and conversation in the afternoon

So if you have a problem, you know the solution, I am sure you can find lot's more things to moan about, get a life

Yes. Get a life. Indeed.B)