Farang Connection

hellyes2oo2

Drinking and chatting in the FC for one.biggrin.gif

Sounds like fun... I've seen the guys there several times, maybe I should introduce myself next time.

Other than drinkies at the FC... is there anything else happening like golf, sports (watching or playing), community meetings, bbq's (my fav).

The boys from SF and BE have been know to have cross over piss-ups....since their cliques are invite only.

Best avoided, truthfully....:blink:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drinking and chatting in the FC for one.biggrin.gif

Sounds like fun... I've seen the guys there several times, maybe I should introduce myself next time.

Other than drinkies at the FC... is there anything else happening like golf, sports (watching or playing), community meetings, bbq's (my fav).

The boys from SF and BE have been know to have cross over piss-ups....since their cliques are invite only.

Best avoided, truthfully....:blink:

As usual Jeff, ill-informed and wide of the mark.

Any non-banned members are openly invited to attend, in both cases having a 'poll' to enable members to vote on preferred locations. I am not actually sure when SF last held an event but I have attended at least 2 with BE - I do not recall receiving a personal invitation.

Perhaps you can try and be more accurate/factual/truthful in future and THINK before you post.

Ah....Ray, always the apologist and suck-up for this mob. I wonder if your cause-of-the-day and tunes would be different if you didn't have an already established business that greatly depends on this likely circle....one, I might add, of the very few Farang operated business that seems destined to survive in the greater Surin-Buriram region.

BTW, you should know that I am still welcome [and thriving] at one of those aforementioned locales for the proverbial chat. Suckers.:lol:

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about because if you knew anything and the true story you would not be sticking up for someone who was ripping people off.

ALSO if i was threatening or shouting so bad why didnt any of you or your band of beer bar stool heros come to her rescue as you clearly love her so dearly? Or you lot were just happy there to sit in silence like church mice as it gave you some much needed gossip in your sad existance of a life.

re-think....

Edited by Patronus

Ah....Ray, always the apologist and suck-up for this mob. I wonder if your cause-of-the-day and tunes would be different if you didn't have an already established business that greatly depends on this likely circle....one, I might add, of the very few Farang operated business that seems destined to survive in the greater Surin-Buriram region.

BTW, you should know that I am still welcome [and thriving] at one of those aforementioned locales for the proverbial chat. Suckers.:lol:

No apologist. You know I always play with a straight-bat and try to be even-handed in my comments.

A number of people on those forums do a number of good things.

If I had to rely on the custom of the active members of those forums, I doubt I would have enough to pay one week's rent. I am happy to 'support' those forums because they can be useful sources of information and - yes - I believe there should be Farang forums. These can be online or in local meeting points.

I also think you are confusing 'welcome' with 'tolerated'. :jap:

Please refrain from discussing other internet forums. It is against forum rules. A public warning was previously issued about this & people that ignored it are no longer here.

So please do not say you have not been warned.

Please refrain from discussing other internet forums. It is against forum rules. A public warning was previously issued about this & people that ignored it are no longer here.

So please do not say you have not been warned.

Hi Roo, I know I'm a newbee here but I didn't notice any other forums being mentioned, did I miss something? If they were (and this is clearly a sensitive issue), then PM me so that I have a clue what you're talking about and can avoid this minefield in the future.

Thanks.

Yes, I agree. I have found the exchanges very interesting and am following them keenly, I am sure many here would have and hopefully , are still learning,about the travails of living in the sticks. And how little difference there can be between here and "other" "places. My request , therefore , is to allow the discourse to run itself into the ground..I wondered about the terms BF and SE.Took me some time and effort. Oh Dear!!, but could they Mean Buriram forum and Surin Expats ?Someone with more local knowledge maybe able to verify.

So i figure if you guys sit there all afternoon having a nice chat and putting the world to rights, then you must drink at least a whole 12 bottles between you in 4/5 hours.

I've been getting ripped off for years. I'm regularly charged for 4 or 5 beers in the 2 - 2 1/2 hours that I spend there!

Today's Surin is fastly different than when he opened FC.

The Farang Connection was initially opened by Kurt in 1999 (the name was "borrowed" from an establishment in Nana Plaza, btw). There were two other "owners" (Young Colin and David) before Martin took over in 2002 (I think).

So i figure if you guys sit there all afternoon having a nice chat and putting the world to rights, then you must drink at least a whole 12 bottles between you in 4/5 hours.

I've been getting ripped off for years. I'm regularly charged for 4 or 5 beers in the 2 - 2 1/2 hours that I spend there!

Yeah I have the same problem... been happening for nearly 6 years now! unsure.gif

ok i was the op on this thread, and only wanted to state my point of view about what has gone wrong.I do not have a personal problem with the lady that owns the bar, because i have never met her.I have been there only a couple of times before, i met martin, and although he came across as a bit grumpy, he was a likeable guy.(rip martin)I was only pointing out that if you put out a menu, then please have the items available. someone said that if the trade has gone down, then maybe they could not carry all the items, thats fine, but then revise your menu to what you do carry.I then recieved some mild abuse from one of "the afternoon regulars" so i felt obliged to reply in kind,once again i don't know any of these guys, so i don't have a problem with them, so if i offended anyone then i apologise.It has also been said that if the owner is struggling to meet the needs of her farang customers ( who i think make up probably 99.9% of customers) then maybe she should get some advice from a farang who has run bars.I have run bars in the uk for almost 30 years, and i would be happy to give the lady any help and advice, i would willingly give up my time for free, because it would be sad to see what was once surin's most popular farang bar go to the ground.Once again if i offended any regulars i apologise to you all, and if anyone wants to pass my offer on to the lady owner please feel free to do so. Just a last thought in my opinion what would make the best farang bar in surin would be "norby's" that place has such potential, if it was cleaned up, get rid of all that stock and those awful plants, it could be fantastic, but last time i asked he wanted a stupid amount of money for a bar that was so quiet, just a thought.

ok i was the op on this thread, and only wanted to state my point of view about what has gone wrong.I do not have a personal problem with the lady that owns the bar, because i have never met her.I have been there only a couple of times before, i met martin, and although he came across as a bit grumpy, he was a likeable guy.(rip martin)I was only pointing out that if you put out a menu, then please have the items available. someone said that if the trade has gone down, then maybe they could not carry all the items, thats fine, but then revise your menu to what you do carry.I then recieved some mild abuse from one of "the afternoon regulars" so i felt obliged to reply in kind,once again i don't know any of these guys, so i don't have a problem with them, so if i offended anyone then i apologise.It has also been said that if the owner is struggling to meet the needs of her farang customers ( who i think make up probably 99.9% of customers) then maybe she should get some advice from a farang who has run bars.I have run bars in the uk for almost 30 years, and i would be happy to give the lady any help and advice, i would willingly give up my time for free, because it would be sad to see what was once surin's most popular farang bar go to the ground.Once again if i offended any regulars i apologise to you all, and if anyone wants to pass my offer on to the lady owner please feel free to do so. Just a last thought in my opinion what would make the best farang bar in surin would be "norby's" that place has such potential, if it was cleaned up, get rid of all that stock and those awful plants, it could be fantastic, but last time i asked he wanted a stupid amount of money for a bar that was so quiet, just a thought.

You haven't offended me and I have noted the points about the menu and have already told S. that she needs to make the changes. A couple of supports are working on it now as we speak... thanks for the input.

If you would like to help then lets get together, we too are giving our time for free to help keep our favorite place opened. Martin was a rough gem but still a gem and S. has always been a great friend of ours. I'll be available towards the end of next week if you can spare some time that would be fabulous!

Thank you for your kind offer! Maybe there's life still in the place, had a good crowd last night... I believe it's worth giving it a try that's for sure.jap.gif

PM me and I'll send you my mobile number.

Cheers...

Bloody 'ell mate, where have you been for the last year (forum-wise)

Well for the 6 plus years I've been going there, I've only known one price and that's what's on the menus and to the best of my knowledge there's only one set of menus.

Well Brim, it seems 6 years was not long enough to get the "local" discount.

If you were a local came in at any time you would get 25% off your beer...

...Basically, what is happening is that the tourists and evening customers, do in actual fact subsidise the locals beer.

That "thread" (click here to see) on Happy Hour prices was rapidly closed after that revelation. Damage limitation after self-generated bad publicity.

Edited by Cuban

Well for the 6 plus years I've been going there, I've only known one price and that's what's on the menus and to the best of my knowledge there's only one set of menus.

Well Brim, it seems 6 years was not long enough to get the "local" discount.

If you were a local came in at any time you would get 25% off your beer...

...Basically, what is happening is that the tourists and evening customers, do in actual fact subsidise the locals beer.

That "thread" (click here to see) on Happy Hour prices was rapidly closed after that revelation. Damage limitation after self-generated bad publicity.

Happy Hour... now there's a new concept...

Bloody 'ell mate, where have you been for the last year (forum-wise)

Fossilising!:partytime2:

It's kinda off putting to see these fat badly dressed Farangs drinking beer and complaining about everything Thai at 8:30 in the morning.

I don't visit the Farang Connection in the mornings. However, I know the majority of local Farangs around these parts and of those I'm unaware of any that call in on occasions for other than breakfast or coffee. Whilst you do not specifically state that these fat farangs were locals, the implications are there. Perhaps they were itinerant tourists.

Cheers, Yorkie (1.92 m tall, 80 kg, fresh ironed shirt every day, never drinks before noon)

You may not be aware that Norbies is now for sale..Not sure of the exact price so if you are interested pop in and see the man himself if you have the time.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

brian i think u just got owned lol... internet thing looks good to me

I don't wade in to these little debates very often...... but..... the figures on those bills are the standard rates for the True Visions Gold Package..... unless I am very much mistaken no internet connection I know (and I have used most of then) have those numbers.

It looks to me that one person here has a grudge, and it is probably best to take that grudge outside of this forum.

//edit/ I've also just noticed that the scans have now been removed, which just doubles what I typed five mins ago.

Edited by Thaddeus

brian i think u just got owned lol... internet thing looks good to me

I don't wade in to these little debates very often...... but..... the figures on those bills are the standard rates for the True Visions Gold Package..... unless I am very much mistaken no internet connection I know (and I have used most of then) have those numbers.

It looks to me that one person here has a grudge, and it is probably best to take that grudge outside of this forum.

//edit/ I've also just noticed that the scans have now been removed, which just doubles what I typed five mins ago.

I hate to stereotype (and I know it is your geographical area) but the antagonist's avatar is something that may be synonymous with the aggression being exhibited.

(Bugger Me! - I am starting to sound like zzaa99 !!!!!!!)

clearly my request to not air your dirty laundry on the forum was ignored. I have now deleted the new posts & the next one will give the poster a 2 week holiday. Take it to pm or meet up in person.

this isn't an invitation to discuss moderation nor to ignore this request.

I hope this is clear.

clearly my request to not air your dirty laundry on the forum was ignored. I have now deleted the new posts & the next one will give the poster a 2 week holiday. Take it to pm or meet up in person.

this isn't an invitation to discuss moderation nor to ignore this request.

I hope this is clear.

heard loud and clear

So now that we've been told to change the banter... how about getting people to offer up some ideas that may help the FC turn things around. So my questions to the readers would be these:

1) what do you like about the FC?

2) what would be your number one recommendation to FC to improve services?

3) if you no longer come to the FC, what could they do to get your custom back?

Please keep you replies short and to the point, we can respond to facts not emotions. If you're not sure if your response will fit the strict rules set out by TV then PM me and I will respond in kind.

We're serious about changing things at the FC, to make it a better place and provide better services to their clientele, so please no venting or abusive responses, if you've not received good service then tell us in simple words, how we can fix it for you!

Thank you in advance from the FOFC (Friends Of Farang Connection)

So now that we've been told to change the banter... how about getting people to offer up some ideas that may help the FC turn things around. So my questions to the readers would be these:

1) what do you like about the FC?

2) what would be your number one recommendation to FC to improve services?

Please keep you replies short and to the point, we can respond to facts not emotions. If you're not sure if your response will fit the strict rules set out by TV then PM me and I will respond in kind.

We're serious about changing things at the FC, to make it a better place and provide better services to their clientele, so please no venting or abusive responses, if you've not received good service then tell us in simple words, how we can fix it for you!

Thank you in advance from the FOFC (Friends Of Farang Connection)

Do you folks at FOFC have a website as of yet??:rolleyes:

Personally speaking, nothing.

But not because of problems with the FC itself, I never had any problems with the staff and the food was always Ok.

I used to visit Surin every couple of months because Surin had a Big C and a Makro, something that Buriram lacked, and I would always stop at the FC to see who was there and up for a bit of banter, always knowing that if no one I knew was there, Martin usually would be.

Buriram now has a Big C and a Makro effectively removing my need to visit Surin, not because Martin is no longer with us.

It is usually the clientèle that attracts people to bars and the food that attracts people to restaurants, so getting people to visit a restaurant is quite simple, the menu doesn't need to be extensive but it has to be varied, and if it is on the menu, you should be able to deliver it "sorry, just sold the last one" doesn't work if you have tried asking for six things. Make sure that if the menu is in English and Thai that they match so that even non English speaking staff can take an order to pass to the kitchen.

The staff need to be attentive but not over you like a rash, one of the things that irritated me most in a bar/resto in the UK was being asked 'is everything all right with your meal sir' every ten bloody minutes, only topped by being ignored if there was something wrong. If the staff are incapable of understanding basics like "can I have some salt" make sure that the full range of condiments is delivered to the table at the same time as the meal or just before.

Make sure that all members of staff understand what a raised finger means and how to acknowledge that it has been spotted, even if they don't have the confidence to handle it themselves instil a bit of a sense of urgency to get some one who does, make sure that the staff who do have the confidence to handle problems don't break in to the headless chicken act in full view should they have more than one problem to deal with.

If a customer does have a serious and valid complaint, fix it when possible or take a hit for it one time, making a loss one time is way better than having a customer never return. The chips being the wrong shape is not a valid complaint.

How to attract people to a bar. Cold drinks and fair pricing, big screen T.V. for the dull moments and important must see events, decent background music for other times, channels 4, 8, 9, and 12 on True Visions Radio usually suit this purpose. Do that, and the birds of a feather will do what they normally do.

And smile, even on days that you don't feel like it.