3g Mobile (nokia 6680(

paulnuek

Can anyone tell me if my nokia 6680 will work in Thailand (Chaing Mai).

I can not unlock it anywhere unless I pay 3g £300.

I want to use a Thai sim (pay as you go).

I have used a oldered phone before which was on vodafone but I have had bad reports about 3.

Paul

Can anyone tell me if my nokia 6680 will work in Thailand (Chaing Mai).

I can not unlock it anywhere unless I pay 3g £300.

I want to use a Thai sim (pay as you go).

I have used a oldered phone before which was on vodafone but I have had bad reports about 3.

Paul

I think that the answer's "no" at the moment. I've just seen very recent (i.e. from yesterday) posts on expert mobile forums saying that it can't be done by software yet. Seems like a lot of people are searching, so it's probably only a matter of time before it happens. Do a "Google" search on "Nokia 6680 unlock" and you'll see what I mean.

By the way, for many of your questions it's better to post in the relevant subject section - the Chiang Mai forum is aimed at local matters.

Edited by Steve2UK

steve's right no can do on unlock yet for the new 6630/80 nokias its totaly new software inside so no unlock solutions as yet.

are you on contract or payngo with 3 if contract 3 have to give you freedom of choice (eg make the unlock code available for a reasonable fee ie £30) under obscure eu rules as you are goverend by contract.

if you can finally get through to 3 helpdesk give it a try or better still go into a 3 shop when they are busy and politly get it sorted..........

unfortantly 3 are <deleted> and do take a lot of convincing

What about other phones that have been locked to a network?

I have used phones before in Thailand that have been on Vodafone and I just put a Thai sim in and everything worked fine.

But I understand that Nokia phones are a differnt ball game......

I am unfortunately a Nokia fan and want to take a 6630 or 6680.

Any advice???????

I am looking on Ebay at the moment and can pick a phone up for about £100 for 3 or about £130-150 for another network.

All the phones have been locked to a particular network.....

These particular phones can not be unlocked at ...market stall etc...

Thanks again Paul...

What about other phones that have been locked to a network?

I have used phones before in Thailand that have been on Vodafone and I just put a Thai sim in and everything worked fine.

But I understand that Nokia phones are a differnt ball game......

I am unfortunately a Nokia fan and want to take a 6630 or 6680.

Any advice???????

I am looking on Ebay at the moment and can pick a phone up for about £100 for 3 or about £130-150 for another network.

All the phones have been locked to a particular network.....

These particular phones can not be unlocked at ...market stall etc...

Thanks again Paul...

Take your new one down the market, I paid a £5er for my 3g phone on 3 contract to be unlocked, cobblers to it not being able to be done yet, if the chap on the stall has a laptop it can be done, I use a orange sim card in LOS, i just brought a sony w800i on 02 and that is unlocked also, i use talk and text in philippines, star hub in singapore.So any 1 you like will work. Good luck

Kind regards

If you buy O2 phones on contract they are usually not locked. I've had 3 now and they've all been unlocked to all networks out of the box. Do 3G phones work in Thailand?

If you buy O2 phones on contract they are usually not locked. I've had 3 now and they've all been unlocked to all networks out of the box. Do 3G phones work in Thailand?

£g phones work in thailand if unlocked but not in the same sense as video calls, you can only use as a normal phone, mms works etc but they dont have 3g infastructure yet, orange has 2.5g

Regards

I have been all over trying to get these phones unlocked.

I thought that I would be able to have them both unlocked for under £10.

But unfortunately they can not be unlocked on a market stall.

3 charge £130 + £30 fee for each phone!!!!

Lesson to learn...

Dont buy a phone on the 3 network

Paul

but back to original question.....

Will a thai sim work or am I F**KED

Paul

I saw the 6680 here in ChiangMai in many shops for around 20,000Bt (new) but they only work as cell phones, none of the 3G stuff yet.

About a month ago the BangkokPost did a large article on 3G phones in their Wednesday Data section (see attachment).

Bangkok_Post_Database_IT_News____Wednesday_14_September_2005__CUT_FOR_E_MAIL_.pdf

Edited by unforgettable_thai

I saw the 6680 here in ChiangMai in many shops for around 20,000Bt (new) but they only work as cell phones, none of the 3G stuff yet. 

About a month ago the BangkokPost did a large article on 3G phones in their Wednesday Data section (see attachment).

Bangkok_Post_Database_IT_News____Wednesday_14_September_2005__CUT_FOR_E_MAIL_.pdf

Thanks for the article.

Price of the phone is about the same here,but people are selling for about 1/4 of the price on Ebay so I think I will simply sell my phones and buy another 2 that will work in Thailand.