Living In Cm, Suggestions For House Rental

jvv1972

Next week I (Dutch male) will visit CM for 6 days to look for property that we can rent. As from Jan06 I will have a job in Lamphun. I will move to CM with my Dutch wife and my 2 kids (7mnths and 2.5 yrs). We want to live in a nice, preferably new compound with facilities such as swimming pool, gym and kids playground. The house needs to be big enough to be able to receive visitors from Holland. I was thinking of a 5brm/3bthrm house, furnished or not doesn't matter. Can anybody advise me:

- compound or area where I can find such houses?

- use agent or not?

- what's the best approach if you have only 6 days to look around?

- what price indication?

I read through other (somewhat outdated threads) and saw good advices being posted. Hopefully one of you can give us some uptodate guidance as to where and how to get started??

In this case, I would say contact several agents and have them all send you ideas of potential properties right awy. Also look in the various classifieds (use the red search button at the top of the page and look for classified and you will find mayny references to various classified sources).

Also check this guy out. He seems committed to you and not the property owners. If he finds what you want, you pay him 1,500 Baht. Nothing if he does not find. He will email you possible options after you fill out a form explaining what you want.

----------

- Help you to contact the Thai owner.

- Fast Result - Save your value time.

- Will present more places till meet your satisfaction.

- Good result / Generous service / Helped you by Local Thai people / Low service charge.

- Not satisfy / No charge !!!

Contact now at email : [email protected] / phone : 018682358 , 053 244497

-----------

I have him looking for me right now, but I have given him some tough parameters.

Anyway, after looking over all possibilities arrange appointments with everyone to see all of the places you are interested in during your first few days there. Then keep on the go till you see them all. Take careful notes in regard to all things important to you and your wife as it will all be a blur by the time you are done.

My guess is you will want to live in the direction of Lamphun, but I do not know that area nor am I very familiar with moo baans or 5 brm houses. Others will need to advise you on these. Lots of choices.

All the best!

Anywhere on the south side of town on the Hang Dong or Canal roads. There you have access to the ring road and on to lamphun.

Ban Ny Fun on the Ping perhaps.

Or you could contact the local Dutch mafia.

Edited by lamphun

In this case, I would say contact several agents and have them all send you ideas of potential properties right awy.  Also look in the various classifieds (use the red search button at the top of the page and look for classified and you will find mayny references to various classified sources).

Also check this guy out.  He seems committed to you and not the property owners.  If he finds what you want, you pay him 1,500 Baht.  Nothing if he does not find.  He will email you possible options after you fill out a form explaining what you want.

----------

- Help you to contact the Thai owner.

- Fast Result - Save your value time.

- Will present more places till meet your satisfaction.

- Good result / Generous service / Helped you by Local Thai people / Low service charge.

- Not satisfy / No charge !!!

Contact now at email : [email protected] / phone : 018682358 , 053 244497

-----------

I have him looking for me right now, but I have given him some tough parameters.

Anyway, after looking over all possibilities arrange appointments with everyone to see all of the places you are interested in during your first few days there.  Then keep on the go till you see them all.  Take careful notes in regard to all things important to you and your wife as it will all be a blur by the time you are done.

My guess is you will want to live in the direction of Lamphun, but I do not know that area nor am I very familiar with moo baans or 5 brm houses.  Others will need to advise you on these.  Lots of choices.

All the best!

Thanks for the usefull advice. I sent him an email. Hopefully he can help out. I will keep you updated.

Anywhere on the south side of town on the Hang Dong or Canal roads. There you have access to the ring road and on to lamphun.

Ban Ny Fun on the Ping perhaps.

Or you could contact the local Dutch mafia.

Lamphun, what exactly do you mean with Dutch mafia?

That was a joke. But of course I am not Dutch.

There does seem to be a Dutch community of sorts in town. You might send an e-mail to the manager of the Rydges Hotel. He organises Dutch nights (hard bread and pickled herring) regularly.

Real Estate links in Chiang Mai for your research:

http://professionals.co.th/ENG/properties_searchE.php

http://www.better-homes.com/

http://www.chiangmairealty.com/rent2.htm

I’ve used the first 2 companies and had good experiences with both of them. You need to go through the listings to separate out rentals from real estate being sold though.

There are a lot of things to think about when you are going to rent a house here. Here is a list of questions that I think may be helpful to ask yourself and your family. If this is your first time moving away from your home country, there will be some adjustment period and it’ll be nice to be somewhat content with the living quarters.

•For instance, are you going to get a housekeeper? Is she going to be a live-in? If yes, you need a place with a room for her.

•Air conditioning is usually per room. What rooms do you require air conditioning?

•Do you require a phone line? Do you require internet access? What kind? Some areas have faster access than the just phone modem access.

•Where do you require hot water heaters?

•What are your kitchen requirements? When we first moved here, I definitely wanted an oven. I used to like to bake. For us, we definitely wanted a 4 burner gas stove and a fan.

•You mentioned that you didn’t care if it is furnished or not. If you are only here a year, do you really want to buy beds for 5 bedrooms? It gets expensive starting from scratch and it is expensive shipping things. Also, if you plan to ship things here, there may be duty fees – I think that there is information in this forum. You’ll need to weigh the costs with your overall plans to see if it will be worth your while. I mention this because for us, the first time we moved overseas, there were 4 of us and the company paid all the shipping and we didn’t have to pay any duty, but we did buy a lot of things for the move and a new car too.

•Do you need a carport? How big?

•Regarding location – someone mentioned that maybe Baan Nai Fan or the Hang Dong area. Just FYI - the commute into Lamphun will be about 35-40 minutes from that area.

•Schools and location of the home – your children are younger than school age so it’ll be a consideration later on.

Anyway, hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just returned from the trip. I contacted CM rental but unfortunately they were not able to help out with the difficult search variables I gave them. We went searching for properties with the real estate agent my company suggested: Swedhome. A nice woman named Suwanit is the owner of this agency. Suwanit speaks English very well (lives together with a Swedish husband already for a long time -lived also in Sweden) and really understood what we were looking for. We started searching on Tuesday 1 pm and at the end of the afternoon we found the place we were looking for: a nice 5brm house in a new Moo Baan, called Lanna Thara. The important thing I learned: the internet is not too much a help for these things. You really have to go out there and see it your self. Also I noticed that other agents were not responsive as to making an appointment to visit properties or to provide detailed description (send pictures) of the properties and Moo Baans.

Thanks anyone for the replies. We look forward to joining the community in CM!!!

Jerry