Internet Problem Chiang Rai

Nonja

I can only dream about what a buddy of mine gets in the US. Snapshot from last year.

822852479.png

You make me sick. Get back to work!

Don't be a hater. Also, I am at work, unlike some :lol: :jap:

I can only dream about what a buddy of mine gets in the US. Snapshot from last year.

822852479.png

I'll match your sitting at your desk getting big bum syndrome with repairing the Honda, ongoing painting, visiting rubber suppliers, walking the land inspecting plants and coming upstairs to talk to you!

822852479.png

I'll match your sitting at your desk getting big bum syndrome with repairing the Honda, ongoing painting, visiting rubber suppliers, walking the land inspecting plants and coming upstairs to talk to you!

I knew you would bight..is there a sarcasm smiley, we need one. Don't be making trouble by giving out reasonable excuses. Well, I can honestly say that I am not getting big bum (perhaps philosophically) sitting the office, that is when I'm trying to be nice to staff and make them work. It's funny, in the old day's (before the EVO) it was fix the Harley and the Honda took care of itself...how times change :D

Its all getting a little Heated,when basically its the Service Providers creaming the Profits,and are ploughing back as little as possible.Some do try, but they get fobbed off by the State System.... T.O.T. have been a Profit Taker on Par with Banks.:annoyed:

Its all getting a little Heated,when basically its the Service Providers creaming the Profits,and are ploughing back as little as possible.Some do try, but they get fobbed off by the State System.... T.O.T. have been a Profit Taker on Par with Banks.:annoyed:

SOrry to disagree but world wide they are all the same carriers and ISP's alike. I can think of 5 countries and

at leats 10 well known ISP's that have devolved the same way. Even when they start off with

sufficient infrastructure and good service it eventually drops off and then they play catch up.

Its a roller coaster ride.

Working with the ToT techs a while back I noticed alot of similarities to techs in other countries as far as

training and knowldge is concerned.

Customer service went out the door with privatisation and deregulation.

Raylo,I find the complete opposite. Over the years.apart from Thaksins Satellite Internet rip off I've found the stand alone Providors much better. In England B.T. had the Monopoly, and was such a disaster that i kicked them out of my Factory,and had a complete Thorn Ericsson System, 35 years back admittedly,.Last week i did the same with T.O. T in favour of 3B.B. on the Internet front..The Tec Boys here are well up to Standard,its the Old Fools with the Purse Strings, and being one myself find it annoying..Also we face an Area Thing here. Ferangs in Enclaves tend to get better service due to force of numbers.Up Country its knowing the Right Thais.I read the Motoring section mostly, and this Ordering Cars seems funny to me, i do hundreds of K.M.s a week, and all the Cars they cant get are littered outside most Dealers Up Country.:jap:

Raylo,I find the complete opposite. Over the years.apart from Thaksins Satellite Internet rip off I've found the stand alone Providors much better. In England B.T. had the Monopoly, and was such a disaster that i kicked them out of my Factory,and had a complete Thorn Ericsson System, 35 years back admittedly,.Last week i did the same with T.O. T in favour of 3B.B. on the Internet front..The Tec Boys here are well up to Standard,its the Old Fools with the Purse Strings, and being one myself find it annoying..Also we face an Area Thing here. Ferangs in Enclaves tend to get better service due to force of numbers.Up Country its knowing the Right Thais.I read the Motoring section mostly, and this Ordering Cars seems funny to me, i do hundreds of K.M.s a week, and all the Cars they cant get are littered outside most Dealers Up Country.:jap:

Yep BT were bad but no different than all the other state monopolies around the world. Complacent, bureaucratic and slow. You should have seen the training they provided compared to today! The Tot guys are jealous.

But when we are talking carriers and service rather than CPE (customer private equiptment)we have another scenario. Believe it or not Thorn Ericsson were nearly as bad in their time but seen a a breath of fresh air in many countries purely because they were not the countries monopolies. Ericsson has always been an equipment supplier around the globe not a carrier.

Now there is a shitload more to choose from both carrier or a supplier but when you need good service on the lines etc it is a different scenario and

all are totally maximum profit as opposed to a monopoly making a fortune but also providing better standards and service.

However we still get back to the OP and where is he? Was CM correct and he was a troll or was he abducted by aliens?

Edited by Lite Beer
Derogatory name edited out.

I am very sorry for not getting back sooner: as some of you have suspected, I've been having the usual difficulties getting on-line.

I'll try to answer some of the questions and I thank you all very much for your patience, especially Kandahar. I admit to being completely technologically deficient.

I live about 2 km north of CR @ Bandoi.

It is a steep block.

The host's computer is at the top of the hill.

I am perhaps 40 metres away down the hill. The router is located in the middle. It is located under the eaves of a neighbouring cottage in direct line of sight.

The internet worked reasonably well for the second 2 months. Now it is most erratic and difficult.

I have no phone line. I connect via router to my host's computer. He is almost as clueless as I am: it is a generation thing. He is a very kind man but we are both floundering.

The internet is included in my monthly rental so I have no direct contact with TOT. My host handles all this but we do have some problems communicating with each other. Yes, I know I should be proficient in Thai: I am working on it. I am happy to pay extra for good internet but as I explained to TOT it has to work this time: it's no good just throwing money at the problem.

I will most definitely contact the HP Shop behind Overbrook. Thank you so much for that advice.

And as I mentioned, the satellite TV also has its moments, so perhaps the general connection here is poor. I am not so concerned about the TV but the Internet problem is driving me demented. There was not a lot of margin in the first place! (Joke: sorry.)

So thank you all for your kind advice. And above all, your patience.

I am perhaps 40 metres away down the hill. The router is located in the middle. It is located under the eaves of a neighbouring cottage in direct line of sight.

The internet worked reasonably well for the second 2 months. Now it is most erratic and difficult.

Some problems associated with wireless routers can be fixed by resetting them.

To do this you simply unplug the power, count to ten ... and plug it back in.

Good Luck!

Yep BT were bad but no different than all the other state monopolies around the world. Complacent, bureaucratic and slow. You should have seen the training they provided compared to today! The Tot guys are jealous.

But when we are talking carriers and service rather than CPE (customer private equipment)we have another scenario. Believe it or not Thorn Ericsson were nearly as bad in their time but seen a a breath of fresh air in many countries purely because they were not the countries monopolies. Ericsson has always been an equipment supplier around the globe not a carrier.

Now there is a shitload more to choose from both carrier or a supplier but when you need good service on the lines etc it is a different scenario and

all are totally maximum profit as opposed to a monopoly making a fortune but also providing better standards and service.

However we still get back to the OP and where is he? Was CM correct and he was a troll or was he abducted by aliens?

Sorry to say this but whenever I see Lurghy Boy mixed up in a post like this I get suspicious as well.

Quite so, an Equipment Providor mainly,but B.T. told me what i could have, and it broke down, whereas T.E. Supplied what we wanted,and never heard a Staff Complaint afterwards .At the time B.T were raveing about System X,, and Employese were worried about being fired.

Another Load of Thai Balls,we now have to rent a Line up here from CAT, to run our Faxes. T.I.T.:(

Some problems associated with wireless routers can be fixed by resetting them.

To do this you simply unplug the power, count to ten ... and plug it back in.

Good Luck!

maybe you can tell us the make and model of router, it may just not be upto spec. or was it recommended by TOT !?

I've had intermittent problems with several routers before and the only way around was to replace them. The router is running 24x7 !?

if your only 2k out of town, you'll almost certainly be able to get 3BB or maybe TOT to give you your own router.

generally instalations free . go to the 3bb Kiosk at BIG C and tell them you want internet , armed with your address in Thai and see what they say.

40 metres, especially 40 outside metres is asking a lot of a standard wireless router. It would probably also test the stronger wireless N or equivalent types also, and bearing in mind that we are shortly going to have a rainy season, this is not likely to improve your situation.

As a wired connection is also pretty much off the menu, I think a quick easy and relatively painless solution for the OP here could be an "edge" or air card or similar. A local PC shop or an AIS or DTAC shop should be able to hook him up with this.

The advantage of this is you are not tied to your location and could take it with you pretty much anywhere.

I am very sorry for not getting back sooner: as some of you have suspected, I've been having the usual difficulties getting on-line.

I'll try to answer some of the questions and I thank you all very much for your patience, especially Kandahar. I admit to being completely technologically deficient.

I live about 2 km north of CR @ Bandoi.

It is a steep block.

The host's computer is at the top of the hill.

I have no phone line. I connect via router to my host's computer. He is almost as clueless as I am: it is a generation thing. He is a very kind man but we are both floundering.

The internet is included in my monthly rental so I have no direct contact with TOT. My host handles all this but we do have some problems communicating with each other. Yes, I know I should be proficient in Thai: I am working on it. I am happy to pay extra for good internet but as I explained to TOT it has to work this time: it's no good just throwing money at the problem.

I will most definitely contact the HP Shop behind Overbrook. Thank you so much for that advice.

And as I mentioned, the satellite TV also has its moments, so perhaps the general connection here is poor. I am not so concerned about the TV but the Internet problem is driving me demented. There was not a lot of margin in the first place! (Joke: sorry.)

So thank you all for your kind advice. And above all, your patience.

" I correct via router to my hosts computer." I am guessing you are connecting to the Internet via the wireless router not your hosts computer.

If I interpret correctly the wireless router is 20-25 meters away. Not an impossible distance to hardwire but you are the only one who can decide if practical.

As stated, reseting the router by unplugging is sometimes the only fix. If you can see the lights, there are normally 4 that are on or blinking if all is well.

Click the wireless icon in the bottom right of computer to check connection and strength.:jap:

1. If the router is located 20 meters from the hosts computer and he is connected to it by hardwire, you can do the same. You're only 20 meters from it also.

2. You have said that you are connecting to the hosts computer wirelessly. I think that is an error in the telling of the tale. Surely you are connecting to his wireless router which is halfway down the hill towards you. If you are connecting to the hosts computer (that is possible) then your speed is going to be terrible even if you have your computer right next to his. So, to determine if you are indeed connected to his computer, or to rule it out completely, answer this: If he shuts his computer down and turns it off, can you still surf the net? If you can, you aren't connecting to his computer. If you cannot get any connection when his computer is off, then you have made the wireless connection to his computer. You need to remove his computer from your choices of wireless connections so that doesn't happen again.

At my house, my wireless router serves another computer that is more than 20 meters away and the signal has to go through a double wall. From my experience, 20 meters isn't too far for the cheap routers unless the signal is blocked by a lot of inches of material.

3. Paul888 had a great idea. Try it and see what happens. It is possible that your computer is jacked up and the signal has nothing to do with it.

4. Have you tried taking your computer to a Wi-Fi area and seeing how it performs on the net? Give it a shot. Find a coffee shop or another of many of the places in the area and see if you can connect to the wireless network there and have a good experience.

If you can, or if the connection is good when you connect to the hosts line directly as Paul suggested, then the computer is okay.

It is possible that you have so much malware activity on your computer that it is spending all of its online time handling bot work and it won't (can't) respond to what you want it to do. If so, there is a great fix for that, so don't worry. But no need to chase that until you have performed some of the basic suggestions made by other posters.

Try some of the suggestions and let us know what happens. If you can't find a wireless place to do a test, come see me and bring the computer. Connect to my router and see what you get. We could probably arrange for at least one knowledgeable person to be here to really determine if it is the computer itself or not.

Edited by kandahar

Wireless range is very fickle. Depends on many things not the least the brand of the modem/router.

Some high priced units have trouble over 10m with walls others vary up to 20m.

Its not worth it in this case but he could also fit high gain antennaes and range expanders. I have used them at 50 - 60m but of

course still suffer from foreign objects and they do cost money.

If all the fixes suggested dont get you anywhere why not measure the actual distance (add 10%) and get one of the shops in the Rai

to make you up a cable. Seriously, some Cat 5 cable and 2 RJ45 connectors are not expensive and there are contractors

in town who can supply and terminate. Should only take 10 mins maximum.

If you really want good internet there is really no option if you want streaming to getting your own connection.

If you are renting you can still get our own connection with either 3bb or TOT however there is a contract period of a year. You can cancell during this period but it will cost about 4000baht.

If you really want good internet there is really no option if you want streaming to getting your own connection.

If you are renting you can still get our own connection with either 3bb or TOT however there is a contract period of a year. You can cancell during this period but it will cost about 4000baht.

I just cancelled my TOT account, 3200 bht, but the funny part was I paid up to and including the 25th of May. This was on the 23rd. Got home, 23rd and it was already off!!!! Try and get that service when you want it on!!! I have no complaint with TOT, good service and fast connection but would have been as cheap just to leave it on for 6 months HaHaHa. They did say I could keep the modem and not pay the reconnect fee when we get back.