Warning

barryofthailand

The men in brown are at it again on the hgwy from the Eastern seaboard to Korat at the bottom of the mountains In both directions. A checkpoint extorting money from farrangs as well as Thais. I have to travel to Surin again next month. I wonder how much it will cost me next time?

Barry

cheers for the heads up, it's a shame the police are begging by the roadside...they should get a better paid job :o

That said, even if the "toll" is 100 baht, motoring in Isaan is still a fraction of the cost in the west, perol is still cheap, there are few radar traps, no speeding cameras, no red traffic light camers. no endorsments on licence, even residual values of vehicles is good.

The farang motorist is onto a winner in Thailand i reckon :D

tipping the dibble is a small price to pay for so many benefits :D

I have to travel to Surin again next month. I wonder how much it will cost me next time?

Barry

Try taking the 359/33 Sa Kaeo/Aranyapratet road and then north on 348 to Nang Rong. The traffic is much lighter and the MiB in the area are more concerned with smuggling than expecting donations from farangs.

I have to travel to Surin again next month. I wonder how much it will cost me next time?

Barry

Try taking the 359/33 Sa Kaeo/Aranyapratet road and then north on 348 to Nang Rong. The traffic is much lighter and the MiB in the area are more concerned with smuggling than expecting donations from farangs.

This road is full of people that are looking to rob you. Not really safe. I'd rather pay then get robbed, and maybe killed.

Barry

My neighbor just got back from Korat, The men in brown clipped him for 400 baht. They always start out at 1000, but make like they are giving you a deal at 400.

Barry

I dont understand why you pay them, What would they do to you if you did not pay them if you are not breaking any laws? I once rented a car and drive from bkk to changmai and onto korat, there were around 6-8 stops in between on the long drives with the red flashing light and the police asking where ae were going and where we had been, also breath of a few beers i had, no licence, Never got asked for any money, Also recently around 2 weeks ago I was on bus from buriram to bkk and i think i know where you are talking about as after korat there was police and army puled the coach over, looked at every ones id including mine but did not check my bag but did every one elses, maybe i am lucky,,

But please tell me what they would do if you refused to pay as I am intending to purchase a 4x4 and travel all over the place, I am not interested in corrupt coppers who want to fleece me.

Regards

My neighbor just got back from Korat, The men in brown clipped him for 400 baht. They always start out at 1000, but make like they are giving you a deal at 400.

Barry

I dont understand why you pay them, What would they do to you if you did not pay them if you are not breaking any laws? I once rented a car and drive from bkk to changmai and onto korat, there were around 6-8 stops in between on the long drives with the red flashing light and the police asking where ae were going and where we had been, also breath of a few beers i had, no licence, Never got asked for any money, Also recently around 2 weeks ago I was on bus from buriram to bkk and i think i know where you are talking about as after korat there was police and army puled the coach over, looked at every ones id including mine but did not check my bag but did every one elses, maybe i am lucky,,

But please tell me what they would do if you refused to pay as I am intending to purchase a 4x4 and travel all over the place, I am not interested in corrupt coppers who want to fleece me.

Regards

Well this is one of those buyer beware things I have only seen it once, friend was stopped argued with them refused too pay and drove off, nothing happened. But this is one times out of how many times I would think it through. I have been stopped once and I was guilty as sin expected to be paying, chewed me out a bit and let me go. So in my case yes I would probably have paid since I was wrong. If not I beleive I would ask for the ticket, keep in mind they are going to take you to court then, so you need to have a bit of time I do., so it would be no big deal to me to go to court with them. Now the down side for crooked cop he isn't going to get the money, and he will be in court with you instead of shaking people down. But each to his own.

The men in brown are at it again on the hgwy from the Eastern seaboard to Korat at the bottom of the mountains In both directions. A checkpoint extorting money from farrangs as well as Thais. I have to travel to Surin again next month. I wonder how much it will cost me next time?

Barry

I was intending taking this route to Sakhon Nakhon soon, never travelled it before so i'd appreciate where do you mean EXACTLY by "at the bottom of the mountains". Appreciate your advice.

The police have staged a check point in two areas. Going south coming from Korat just before Cabin Buri. Going North at the bottom of the mountains in Pachtongchia. I got stopped in both directions. They ask you for your drivers license. If you do not have a Thai drivers license, you will have to produce your passport. They start out saying you were either speeding in the mountains, or you passed someone where thier is no passing. ( solid yellow line). I asked him what made him think i crossed over the yellow line. He said he has a radio. They tell you hjave to go to the police staion and pay 1000 baht. Well i did cross over the yellow line so i don't know. Thier are police stations in that area up in the mountains off the side of the road. Now coming back headed south we were stopped again just before Cabinburi. They again asked for my license. My wife told him we did nothing wrong and we already paid four days ago on the way up. He gave me my license back, but did not look too happy. Now if you don'y pay they will issue you a citation and eithewr keep your license or passport until you go to the police station and pay. You then have to go back to the checkpoint to retrieve your documents. Easier to pay then to go through the hassle.

The police have staged a check point in two areas.  Going south coming from Korat just before Cabin Buri. Going North at the bottom of the mountains in Pachtongchia. I got stopped in both directions. They ask you for your drivers license. If you do not have a Thai drivers license, you will have to produce your passport. They start out saying you were either speeding in the mountains, or you passed someone where thier is no passing. ( solid yellow line). I asked him what made him think i crossed over the yellow line. He said he has a radio.  They  tell you hjave to go to the police staion and pay 1000 baht. Well i did cross over the yellow line so i don't know. Thier are police stations in that area up in the mountains off the side of the road. Now coming back headed south we were stopped again just before Cabinburi. They again asked for my license. My wife told him we did nothing wrong and we already paid  four days ago on the way up. He gave me my license back, but did not look too happy. Now if you don'y pay they will issue you a citation and eithewr keep your license or passport until you go to the police station and pay. You then have to go back to the checkpoint to retrieve your documents. Easier to pay then to go through the hassle.

Great description that is exactly where the friend got stopped for the yellow line and yes you will cross it, slow moving trucks all the way up the hill and very few passing lanes if any. We took the toll roads on the way back and had no trouble at all. Personally I doubt that they have anyone watching, by the time you hit that point everyone has crossed that line.

I wonder if anyone knows of motorcycles being stopped, in three years I have known many many people getting nailed at that location, but I have never heard of anyone being stopped on a bike.

Well there went my thought if they are going to make you go to the Police station and then come back and they are not going with you my plan would not work. If they are going to stay there and get thier Tea money the only one losing is you. More then likely that Tea money is shared all the way up the chain of command.

The place I was stopped was on the main road between Korat and Khan Kean and like I said they just chewed me out.

Well if Pattaya or Bangkok is the detination, from the Udon area there is always the toll roads a lot easier driving.

The police have staged a check point in two areas.  Going south coming from Korat just before Cabin Buri. Going North at the bottom of the mountains in Pachtongchia.

I don't know what all this fuss is about... :o

It's a drugs checkpoint.

I was stopped by the south-bound check a couple of weeks ago.

The police were very courteous, and asked us to get out of the car.

I was travelling with my Thai missus and her parents.

They asked for permission to search the car, to which I agreed.

They asked where we had been and where were we going (after noting the Chonburi plates on my car).

They asked to see my drivers licence.

After satisfying themselves that we were genuine and that we did not have any drugs on ourselves or in the vehicle, (all baggage, hand bags, glove box, console, boot, even behind the petrol cap cover) they wished us well and allowed us to go without any further ado.

No hassle, no money changing hands, just police doing their duty.

And very courteously too I must add.

No problem at all.

Howdy everyone,

It has been my experiance with check points in Issan,if many BIB not a shake down but if only a few BIB,give up the THB.The price has never been more then 200THB for me alone or with family.I do not like it but it has been a BIB way for many,many years and I am not the one to test the "I did not do anything wrong so go f--- yourself and drive off".Much easier and cheaper to just go with the flow.Besides who will the judge belive?

Drove just recently the East passage around Khao Yai southbound. Entering Khao Yai they tried to stop me, but since there were lots of cars on the road, I just assumed he didn't mean me and drove on. Left a flabber-gasted cop looking past me. Exiting Khao Yai I was pulled over again, this time no one else around, so I stopped. I did the old "I drive that road once a week" routine and "Kalasin Police station! Sure I know where it is..." and insisted on a ticket. No bribes, no tickets. Just a two minutes stop.

I think that it all depends on whether you look like an idiot or not.

I start speaking to them and take the lead in the conversation and hardly ever get asked for money. If you want to chance it tell them you have no money and have to go to the ATM, which is usually miles away and they let you go. Once they wouldn't and tried to give me a ticket and I found a couple of hundred baht for them.

forgot to mention...in lieu of my driving license, I showed him a 2-years old ticket from Bangkok...that one so far always did the trick to avoid new tickets...

Funny One there is also a check point between Udon and Nong Kia. Been through it literally a 100 times on the bike never stopped once. Here I come bright new shinny pickip truck and yep I get stopped. The cop had a real gleam in his eyes, walked up to the truck in a very demanding voice DRIVER LICENSE. I produced a five year Thai drivers license. You should have seen the disappointment on his face GO!!!!! He got just as much respect and courtesy as he gave me, NONE!!!!!!!!!

Been pulled up down there many times and if I'm in the wrong I negotiate a 'fine', usually 200 Baht. BUT if not and things look like getting heavy I pull out my mobile and fumble in my notebook which has the number 1193 clearly written on it. They see this and it gets me back under way like grease lightning. 1193 is the Highway Police number and the threat of calling it makes them shit. Ofcoarse your knackered if it's the Highway Police who have stopped you but 9 times out of 10 it's the locals out revenue raising.

Just passed through the area twice within the last couple of days and the boys in brown seem to be lying low, I have been stopped there myself in the past and managed to get away with paying just 200 baht.

For future reference the offending Police stop is at km36 on the 304 i.e. 36 km before Kabinburi if you are heading south or 36km after Kabinburi if you are heading north, the Policeman that stops you has you’re number and the speed you were doing on a piece of paper so there must be someone hiding at the roadside a few km before so if you slow down a couple of km before you get to km 36 you should pass through with you’re wallet intact.