Thailand On Verge Of `First World' Status

george

Somkid: Thailand on verge of `First World' status

Minister says 2004 will be `golden year'

BANGKOK: Thailand is ready to step forward and become part of the ``First World'' alongside a handful of other Asian countries next year, according to Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak.

Addressing Thai Rak Thai MPs at a party seminar yesterday, Dr Somkid said 2004 would be a ``golden year'' for Thailand to move up on par with economically advanced countries in the region such as Singapore, Korea and Taiwan.

The deputy TRT leader quoted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as saying Thailand would advance with ``strengthened economic potential, stable politics and a peaceful society''.

Thailand has clearly recovered from its economic slump and turned around from being debt-ridden to nearly debt-free in the last few years, Dr Somkid said.

``While the world is not very stable today, Thailand is adopting stable politics, a strengthened economy and peaceful society. Next year is going to be the golden year for Thailand to step forward as part of the First World like Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan.''.

Thailand's gross domestic product has risen from 4.9 trillion baht in 2000 to 5.9 trillion this year, while the market capitalisation of the Stock Exchange of Thailand rose over the same period from 1.3 trillion to 4.6 trillion baht, Dr Somkid said.

Foreign reserves have risen steadily and now exceed $40 billion while foreign debts have dropped substantially.

The deputy premier said the TRT-led government had focused on policies to strengthen the national economy and improve the welfare of the people, including the anti-poverty scheme under which the impoverished and indebted people nationwide can register with the authorities who will find means to help them.

The government, he said, was determined to remain in a ``high performance'' mode and turn the country into a ``knowledge- and technology-based society,'' Dr Somkid told some 300 Thai Rak Thai MPs.

Initiatives such as the One Tambon, One Product programme, coupled with an increased number of foreign tourists each year, will raise the incomes of grass-roots citizens and strengthen the national economy, he said.

``The Democrats or the Opposition will be no challenge to the TRT government. Given the successes of our government's policies, the Opposition will never steal MP seats from us in the next 10 years,'' he said.

For that reason, Dr Somkid concluded, Thai Rak Thai was expected to elect at least 400 MPs in the next general election.

--Bangkok Post 2003-12-27

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Well at least I got a laugh : :o

Is it that Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak has not been to Singapore? or perhaps he can't see the real Thailand through his own wealth!

Time to get into the real world, if he wants to do his job properly.

Once again, wealth figures promimently in the criteria used to define in which “World” this country 'expects to be part of. The general lawlessness of the people, the pervasive corruption within the government and the civil service sector (including the police and the military), graft, nepotism at high levels, insidious antisocial behaviour, limited education, widespread poverty, lack of social welfare are discounted whilst those in high places blow their own trumpets.

“…..stable politics and a peaceful society, knowledge - and technology-based society”, who is Thaksin kidding?

I guess his ultimate aim is to have his Thai Rak Thai party as the only party in Thailand. Stuff the Constitution!!!

According to the WTO, "there are no WTO definitions of “developed” and “developing” countries. Members announce for themselves whether they are “developed” or “developing” countries." Being a developing country provides some benefits, like qualification for GSP tariff reduction- so countries have to pay a price to gain the title of a 'developed' economy.

A milestone, but the issues of upcountry poverty, corruption, weak legal infrastructure, little investment outside of Thailand, and more all remain to be addressed.

Cheers!

Hey, it's all politics. Just one man's view of how things are rosy, so he can be re-elected.

And to point out how politicians have a skewed and parochial view of the real world, how about this news story from Washington. It seems the Bush administration is "concerned" about Russian President Putin's "dismantling of the democratic process" and "irregularities in the last elections". Hmmm. It's a good thing there were no "irregularities" in Bush's election. And all those civil rights violations in the name of "anti-terrorism", those are NOTHING like Putin's excesses.

Politicians are politicians the world over. Most of them try to get away with what they can. A few have good hearts. And a few are truly frightening.

Just my opinion.

Artisan lists the problems still facing Thailand---but these are all pretty common, in greater or lesser degrees, in all 'First World' countries too.

To be fair to him, the Deputy PM didn't claim that Thailand was about to join the 'Ideal World'!!

Hurricane's view seems well balanced (IMHO).

Most politicians are decent people (and a bit more decent than average, in my experience from when I twice got drawn onto the fringes of politics in England).

But as Hurricane says a few are truly frightening. Quite rightly, the press exposes those whenever it can. But the downside of that is that a lot of decent and able people, who could give a lot if they got involved in politics, steer clear because of the bad name that politicians are given because of those 'truly frightening' ones.

Of all the countries that I have lived and worked in, I think Singapore and Canada have got the best bunches of politicians (though by very different means in very different situations). It'll be interesting to see how the next generation of Thais work things out. I'm quite optimistic about them and their likely chances.

If Thailand enters the First world, half oof the people will starve and there will be a coup. So don't leave too much investment here.

If I am not wrong some General politician tried the same trick about a decade ago, giving the people a false sense of wealth. Unfortuanately for him there was a coup and he had to step down.

The new PM and goverment is too much in a hurry to do anything. Just sit back and watch the social problems that will be coming up soon.

Don't miss the next episode -"The Thai Dilemma"

If they continue the lunacy of closing entertainment establishments at 10 PM or 1 AM, they will only provide Bali, Malaysia, Vietnam, and the Phillipines the impetus to be better and more modern than the "Land of the Smiles." Like the person above, "liiving in a world of dreams."

HMMM... guess Thaksin and his cabinet are only stopping in wealthier areas in their mobile cabinet trips. What parts of Thailand are "first world"? Isaan? The hill tribes people?

My understanding, at least locally, is that this one village, one million baht campaign are actually loans, most of them to people who have blown the money with no intention of ever paying it back.

And what kind of tourists will he attract by closing nighttime venues? Even high end tourists like to go out!

Politicians are politicians the world over. Most of them try to get away with what they can. A few have good hearts. And a few are truly frightening.

A FEW?? What an optimist!

Overheard some "educaated" Thais commenting on how the SET {stock exchange Thailand] is inflated.

Is another deflator, albeit smaller than '97, just around the corner? They also talked about how everyone is in debt because of easy loans and low interest.

As shown by the PM comments, too many optimists.

Pride cometh before the fall. My guess is a fall is coming, or at least a stumble.

And what kind of tourists will he attract by closing nighttime venues? Even high end tourists like to go out!
I learn now---NO late nights, NO 'first world" High end tourists use drugs too!!!

Is the closing time of nightclubs that important? What do people lose?

I see a bunch of moaners here and what have you contributed?

Why not be politicians yourselves and see how easy it is to take care of a country?

The best advice I could give is to avoid anything Thai! And go back to paradiseland!

Dr. Pat Pong,

I am "here" from time to time, met too many people who always claim they know somebody. Got hurt a couple of times but am learning from my experiences.

Learnt one important lesson from an old chinese man in the hardware business. He has investments in Singapore, Thailand and now Vietnam.

The sly fox convinced his wife in Singapore that he had to marry a woman in Vietnam and is doing big time there. His Vietnamese wife and family has moved above his shop and they are providing the manpower for his business.

He never told me if he had a wife in Thailand but I suspect he does. I guess the asian way of doing business is to keep it within the family. So you don't have to be there yourself. :o

Cheers Doc,

Dove

I for one can hardly wait for Thailand to attain first world status. Then the country can begin acting like a first-world country, where, for example:

- People can buy real estate regardless of immigration status.

- Citizenship may be transferred via marriage.

- Foreign correspondents may criticise the PM without being threatened with deportation.

Very droll Dr. Somkid. We're back to the same nonsense local politicians were spouting ten years ago. According to predictions then, Thailand should be almost on a par with France and the UK by now.

Unfortunately, the talk is not backed up by many hard facts. One positive development is that local businesses are a little more prudent in how they invest. Much more talk along the lines of the nonsense posted above and they may lose their grip on reality once more.

Even Malaysia under Mahathir were smart enough to accept it will take another 17 years to reach deeveloped status - if all goes well.

The bottom line is that the average Thai worker is no more productive or skilled than he/she was five years ago. With cutbacks in eductation loans, the next generation is going to be even less use to an investor. The days whgen the country can be a low cost assembly base are ending and those assemblers have not upgraded their skills. If anything, Thailand appears to be regressing.

Criticism, Hmmmm.........you better start looking for a new forum, mate.

Btw, this news clipping has had the most posts of all the rest in the section.

It seems threads regarding Thailand and it's place in the world provoke a good response.

A lot of Thailand's growth is based on the tourist industry. In fact, (based on last years figures) 5% of all Thai workers were working to provide goods and services to foreign tourist. Also, 6% of Thailand's GDP was from tourism, the highest of all East Asian countries. Thailand's neighbours only manage to make around 3% GDP from the same industry. What's my point, BALI! One bang, and it all goes out the window. Shouldn't our illustrious leaders be looking to create wealth and investment in other areas instead of milking the tourism cow too much?

The very thing that WILL make Thailand successful are it's wonderful people.

After living in 37 countries I can beyond any doubt that the people of Thailand are great, polite and most of all hard working. Unlike MANY countries that claim to be "first world". I plan to live and retire in Thailand at a young age.

I have complete faith in the Thai government, it's people and it's Leaders.

Dr. Mike Amata

I had faith too, until the Toxin started attacking my nerves, then my brains, my heart errrrrr help me Doc I am dying the Toxin is killing me. Oops maybe you are not a medicine man maybe a Doc in political science.

If Thailand ever reaches first world status, what are the poor going to eat, they won't be able to afford anything.

There are people who have lived in 37 countries and think that they have seen the world, I wonder if they have been through Thailand's 76 provinces. Imagine blocking the slums in the city from visiting leaders in a meeting lately. A country where avoidance is practised, where the the rich avoid recognizing that there are poor people who sell their daughters to survie.

Maybe living in 37 cities can be quite misleading, it can be quite different from living in 37 countires.

ps. For those who knew some Thai political history there was some short loud mouth politician some years back who promised to clear the traffic problems when he was second in charge. I recalled that he stepped down after he failed.

Politicians come and go, in my opinion not quick enough but the damage they leave is enormous, sort of well bye then I will leave you with the mess to sort out.

I know that Roger Bannister was the first man to run the four minute mile but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the home secretary when he did it.