Impressions Of Nong Khai

Surfing Spleen

I had a hard time finding accurate info on Nong Khai prior to going there so I thought I'd jot down a few notes. I only spent one evening and one day there but these are my impressions:

NK is slightly cooler than other cities I’ve visited in Isan, possibly due to the Mekhong River breezes.

The number Two highway to NK from Udon (35-45 minutes) is modern and well-maintained.

Hotels are cheap, possibly because they are plentiful. We stayed at the Pantawee, which I recommend. The rate was 700 a night and included two beds, hot shower, swimming pool, A/C, refridgerator, cable TV with HBO and Cinemax, and 24 hour internet access on the computer in the room. They also have bungalows available as well as a “resort” right on the river which, if I remember correctly, ran 400-600 a night. There are also a number of Hotels along the river that range in price from 200 to 800 baht a night. We chose the hotel in town to be convenient to shopping and restaurants. I also enjoyed jumping in the pool after a long morning jog along the river (yes, I showered before I got in).

Jogging was interesting. Though the folks here are very polite, as a jogger, I was treated the same as a vehicle. A number of times mopeds and vehicles pulled into my path to park directly in my way when they either could have waited two seconds for me to pass or parked three feet away. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Regardless of what anyone says, whether you like very loud dance music, live music shows, little open air “sit down & chat” bars, or beer garden/restaurants; NK’s night life is definitely happening. At the “Bar-Nana,” there were tables and tables of five and six girls sitting together drinking 100 Pipers and Pepsi while professional performers took turns singing and playing on stage. At the Hollywood bar, the music was house and rap and it was very very loud. Again, tons of girls. At “The Laundrey”(?) I had a good time talking to nice folks, one of which was a charming English gentleman who mentioned his son owns “The Meeting Place.” I passed on “The Danish Baker” as there was a man out front having a conversation with a wicker hat. Whatever the wicker hat was saying upset him quite a bit.

The restaurants in NK are many, varied, cheap, clean, and good. You will not be bored.

The Tesco/Lotus in NK is not nearly as good as the ones I’ve been to in Bkk, CM, Lampang, Chanthaburi. In fact, I’d rate it as “poor”.

The Tesco/Lotus in NK is not nearly as good as the ones I’ve been to in Bkk

It's a conversion from an existing store that was called "Big Jeung",the owner of which took the money from Tesco and built the biggest home you have ever seen on the road to Udon.It's not far out of Nong Khai and has two life size stone lions at the gate.I thought at first it was going to be a huge rice storage warehouse but it's a home like you have never seen.