Wtf?

PhayaoPete

Don't get me wrong....I love Thailand, but can anyone tell me why in the world someone would design and engineer a window or sliding glass door with the frikken screens on the inside? Oh...it's mosquito season and the wind is blowing the rain inside the house...no problem...I will open the dam_n screen and see how many mosquitos and other bugs I can let in while I close the window. Who in the world came up with this asinine approach? Is thinking not allowed here? Can anyone enlighten me on this? One of those things not caught in time...they were up and installed before I realized how they were designed. I guess if it was a submarine, they would still put the dam_n screens on the inside, eh? PP

normally the contractor asks you "inside or outside?". i opted for the "asinine screen inside approach" but refrain from telling you my reasons (because you wouldn't understand anyway).

:whistling:

normally the contractor asks you "inside or outside?". i opted for the "asinine screen inside approach" but refrain from telling you my reasons (because you wouldn't understand anyway).

Some of us understand Naam.

Its because Klingons do not like to be "probed" by empathic species. :D

I have been living in my house for almost 6 years now with the screens inside and never even been thinking of it but I am probably as stupid as the Thai designer! :blink:

Is this the worst problem you found with your new house ? Lucky man!

:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

I believe it is all about the aesthetics and appearance from the outside. The house does look better with only the glass visible from the outside. However, it does lower the effectiveness of the screens. Then again, lots of windows around here are kept open and have no screens at all. I guess that is why the geckos are welcome in most houses.

You need some geckos, Pete? I just happen to have a few on special offer. All you have to do is catch them.

But while you're at it, consider this:

Why do builders make toilet doors that open to the inside in any business? Once you have finished your business and washed your hands, you have to grab the same door handle that the last ten people who didn't wash their hands have to grab. And then return to your dining table and pick up that chicken leg and stick it in your mouth.

Why do they make, in some cases here, beautiful, wide sidewalks and then allow people to park motorcycles all over them, cover them with street-side dining tables and cooking apparatuses, plant trees, signs and power line poles dead center in the middle of them and, my favorite, allow business or home owners to use them for their personal car and truck parking spaces?

Why do they have street parking in the business districts and allow the business owners to save those parking spots for themselves and make the customers park blocks away?

Why do they.........................................?

I dunno why they do some of these things. Fortunately, most of it cracks me up instead of bothering me too much..

I thought flyscreens were a more recent turn of events.

Most of the rural folk don't have those high falutin sliding window thingys. but fold out windows. Who wants to make a bloody great flyscreen cage on the outside to encompass the fold out windows, when the screen can be simply mounted with turn clips for the inside. Unfortunately this gets stuck in the mindset, so why change.

Edited by Garry

I thought 'Why' questions were a NO NO on this forum.

Whateva.

My house is 10 years old with screens inside, just as above never gave it a 2nd thought.

What does bug me hugely is the inside doors all opening outwards, and not into the romm.

And while we're at it my light switches are located as far as is possible from the door in every <deleted> room.

Deal with that on a daily basis

You can only smirk at such stupidity B)

the simple mind of a Klingon is an open book even for non-empathics. our faces give away what we are thinking. if we smile we consumed quite some bloodwine and/or had sex. if we don't smile we had neither.

back to the topic. in my case it was a matter of aesthetics:

post-35218-0-15169500-1306811362_thumb.j

“<deleted>?, frikken, dam_n, asinine. “ Just love your vocabulary and you say you love Thailand, how nice for you. If you don’t learn to chill a bit, you are going to have a very stressful time of it here in this Thailand that you love so much. :)

Because with the screens on the outside they would collect all the dust and pollution, then on that windy day in question when its cool enough to keep the windows open, but the screens closed... all that dust and pollution would blow off the screens and into your house...

Then there would be another thread starting off with "Don't get me wrong....I love Thailand, but can anyone tell me why in the world someone would design and engineer a window or sliding glass door with the frikken screens on the OUTSIDE?"

Edit:

Most probable answer: They copied the place nearby....

Edited by richard_smith237

I thought flyscreens were a more recent turn of events.

Most of the rural folk don't have those high falutin sliding window thingys. but fold out windows. Who wants to make a bloody great flyscreen cage on the outside to encompass the fold out windows, when the screen can be simply mounted with turn clips for the inside. Unfortunately this gets stuck in the mindset, so why change.

Don't get me wrong....but I think you hit the nail right square dab on the head. I just love stirring up this pot. Great comments and it was all in the name of getting you all to think about it. I still do....really....love Thailand. What was it that one poster signed his off with?......a quote from MLK...."I am free, God almighty....I am finally free!"....or something like that. PP

the simple mind of a Klingon is an open book even for non-empathics. our faces give away what we are thinking. if we smile we consumed quite some bloodwine and/or had sex. if we don't smile we had neither.

Naam,

Very nice detail work....but appears to be a fixed glass window, or is it the other window in the reflection? Either way, thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering myself, why they like putting the screens on the inside. I have to agree with PP though....it does/can/will let in outside flying critters if trying to close in case of rain or wind, especially if one has a light on, inside. ett

I have asked that question numerous times and had 2 different answers that "make sense" ..

1 - The screens last longer because they stay dry.

2 - If they are installed on the outside, someone will steal them.

But actually, exterior screens on sliding windows would probably be more difficult to clean and/or replace if exterior "kamoy bars" are installed.

I never paid too much attention to the screens on my house, I guess I'm just much one for details. So I took a close look today and noticed the windows on both sides of the house and the rear had the screens on the outside, which I agree is more practical. However, all the windows on the front of the house have the screens on the inside so it is my opinion they do it that way for aesthetics.

Upstairs my fly screens are hinged and fold inwards, the windows fold out. Downstairs same deal with the fly screens with sliding windows. Works fine for us and nothing noticeable outside. Glass is easier to clean than wire mesh.

Luckily, we can take out the screens by adjusting two screws on the bottom rollers in order to clean them on both sides, as this needs to be done every 6 months or so. Our clean, fresh, country air is anything but. I am amazed at how dirty they get and how it actually impedes the breeze. The white screens we choose shows the grime more. But we still have to open the screens to close the window when it is blowing rain....mosquitoes or not. We (mainly I, as I am trying to teach the wife that light attracts bugs and therefore should be turned off before opening the screens) darken the room and do it as quickly as possible. However, if the voyeristic said bugs have been sitting ring side while the light is on, they are still ready for entry as soon as they get the chance. And sliding glass windows and doors are NOT weather proof, but is no big deal when one has tile floors and concrete walls....gotta love that, eh? I still wish all of that was pointed out before the fact. Had I the option, I definitely would have gone with the screens on the outside, myself. Our window maker did not offer that to us. ett

Naam,

Very nice detail work....but appears to be a fixed glass window, or is it the other window in the reflection? Either way, thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering myself, why they like putting the screens on the inside. I have to agree with PP though....it does/can/will let in outside flying critters if trying to close in case of rain or wind, especially if one has a light on, inside. ett

you caught me pants down. it is indeed one of the two fixed glass windows in our home and i used it for demonstration purposes.