The Thai Post Office Has Lost My Ems Mail

connda

Well, so much for all of the posts that I've seen that indicate that EMS mail is great. The first time I use it, the Thai Post office loses my package that I sent to the United States.

EMS is Trackable! EMS can give you Proof of Delivery! From what I can tell, it's not trackable or traceable-- here's why:

My EMS package was sent May 19 from the main Chiang Mai Post Office. I've checked the Thai PO EMS tracking web site and I can track it as far as the SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE. I then checked the US Postal Service web tracking to see if the EMS package arrived in the US. It has not. The trail ends at the SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE on May 20.

I went to the main post office in Chiang Mai with my Thai wife (so I wouldn't run into English / Thai translation issues) on May 30. The bureaucrat we were shuffled off to speak to left for about 5 minutes and then came out with a printout of the same tracking sheet that I can obtain off of the Thai EMS tracking site.

He tells my wife that the package is not at SUVARNABHUMI. So I ask where is it. "Not at SUVARNABHUMI. Come back next week."

I went back home and contacted the US Postal Service and requested a "Proof of Delivery" from the US Post Service. Today, I just got back a letter indicating that there is no record of my EMS parcel being received in the US.

So, now my guess is that I'm going to be stuck between two bureaucratic organizations, both of which claim that that have no knowledge of where my package is -- and worse -- I had important documents in that package. It seems as though the EMS system is inaccurate and unreliable.

So here's my big questions to whomever may have an honest, legitimate answer:

What do I do now!!! :ermm:

I really don't expect any assistance from the Thai Post Office considering that I've already have gotten the run around. I'm stuck! Who can help me? Anybody?

Edited by connda

Maybe customs has snagged it at Swampy for some reason and havent told EMS or the air freight company has forgotten it in a warehouse or has been stolen..maybe EMS is telling you the truth, they dont know where it is, these things can happen at times, it appears there is nothing of "value" in it...sure it will turn up.

Personally always found EMS a pretty good set up and used it many times over last 10 years and never had an issue

Maybe customs has snagged it at Swampy for some reason and havent told EMS or the air freight company has forgotten it in a warehouse or has been stolen..maybe EMS is telling you the truth, they dont know where it is, these things can happen at times, it appears there is nothing of "value" in it...sure it will turn up.

Personally always found EMS a pretty good set up and used it many times over last 10 years and never had an issue

Trackable and Traceable mean that some person with a handheld computer is making entries regarding where the item goes. I've used other couriers in the past and I can see if the package was diverted to customs. Why not EMS? And I did say that these were "important documents", i.e., they have value to them.

There's got to be a way that they can "Put a trace" out for a "lost" package. I mean, what do I need to do to get them to confirm that they have LOST the package? I think at that point they are liable for the contents up to a certain amount of baht?

I had a similar thing once.

I could find no trace of what I had sent anywhere. Thinking it was lost I called the person that was supposed to receive it to let them know it was apparently lost, only to find out that they had already received it.

Not sure this is any consolation to you, but I received an EMS package while living in the USA that took over 3 months to get there from Thailand. It was torn to pieces but all the documents were indeed there. It might still arrive.

...There's got to be a way that they can "Put a trace" out for a "lost" package. I mean, what do I need to do to get them to confirm that they have LOST the package? I think at that point they are liable for the contents up to a certain amount of baht?

1. Compensation policy for EMS items: http://www2.thailandpost.com/product_servicedetail_en.asp?cat_id=6&product_id=44-S-000005

2. You fill out a claim form and attach information/evidence about the value of the contents of the EMS item.

...There's got to be a way that they can "Put a trace" out for a "lost" package. I mean, what do I need to do to get them to confirm that they have LOST the package? I think at that point they are liable for the contents up to a certain amount of baht?

1. Compensation policy for EMS items: http://www2.thailand..._id=44-S-000005

2. You fill out a claim form and attach information/evidence about the value of the contents of the EMS item.

Puccini,

Thanks for the links and info. Much appreciated. :)

I'm off to the CM post office on Monday for another round of discussions. I will post the results for my discussion in detail.

Edited by connda

Trackable and Traceable mean that some person with a handheld computer is making entries regarding where the item goes. I've used other couriers in the past and I can see if the package was diverted to customs. Why not EMS? And I did say that these were "important documents", i.e., they have value to them.

There's got to be a way that they can "Put a trace" out for a "lost" package. I mean, what do I need to do to get them to confirm that they have LOST the package? I think at that point they are liable for the contents up to a certain amount of baht?

Did you put a Return to Sender Address on the back,if undelivered?

I learn't my lesson,and now I always put a return address.

I had no problem sending my insurance documents (from hospital stay) to the states, arrived back in the states and had notification of the amt. the insurance would be paying. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.This was sent from Chiang mai post office.

My friend sent his passport to the Indiain consultant in sanFrancisco for a 10 year visa. About 2 weeks before his trip he realized no passport. went to the post office (in US) and began tracking the package. it had never left the post office but no where to be found. He does a expedited passport and visa at the cost of 300 dollars. So off to India gets back 3 months later and what shows up his old passport with 10 year visa. He goes back to post office, hey what gives, the package was found in the bottom of a mail bag caught in a fold. he did recieve his cost of new passport and visa because of the lost package.

Have had more than a few packages arrive in the US without the USPS scanning said packages into their system (but instead my friends informing me that they had arrived).

Could be anywhere.

:)

Yes seems a little fast to be worrying. I just sent a document through them and it took about three weeks to America. Your package has value but I think the other reply meant that your package appears to be of no value so probably wasn't stolen like my expensive blood pressure monitor was last year. Really though with any important documents, spend the extra money and go with one of the big three couriers. It is worth the peace of mind.

Don't waste your time going to the actual post office just do the following:

A ) Call the post office hotline: #1545 (get wife to call in Thai), and report package missing. They will ask you to fax them a copy of the EMS tracking/receipt paper (fax this to them)

B ) They will try to locate the package (may take a week or so)

C ) At this point the package is either "Lost" or they have located it.

- If the package is lost they will take you through the procedure for claiming the insure money (fill out form fax it) and it will probably take a month to get your money. You will pick up the money at the post office you shipped from at this point.

- If package is located and delivered you can still apply for the shipping cost back, as they guarantee the package arrive in the US (not at location, just in the country) within 5 business days. If they fail this they will refund the shipping. Will take around a month to get this money back.

I just had a registered letter undelivered and reported it to the Thai post office.

Got a call within a couple of days to say they had found it returned to sender and where did I want to collect it from.

So suggest you fill in a missing items report.

Kudos to Dave111223 and Puccini for lifting us out of the realms of "conjecture" to solid information and steps one can take to see this through. I wish we had more posters just like you! jap.gif