Six killed, 10 injured in Israel-Syria border protests

News_Editor

Six killed, 10 injured in Israel-Syria border protests

2011-06-05 23:07:29 GMT+7 (ICT)

DAMASCUS (BNO NEWS) -- Six people were reportedly killed and 10 injured on Sunday along the Syria-Israel border when Israeli soldiers opened fire on pro-Palestinian protesters, Syrian television reported on Sunday.

According to the Jerusalem Post, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it could not confirm the number of people killed or if there were any deaths. It said in a statement that the forces warned the "rioters" approaching the Syrian-Israeli border near Majdal Shams to stay clear of the border.

"Stop! You are breaching an international border. We warn you not to damage security infrastructure. Whosoever attempts to violate Israel's sovereignty or security infrastructure puts himself in jeopardy. Please return to Syria," soldiers said, according to the statement.

An IDF spokeswoman also told the Jerusalem Post that shots were fired at the demonstrators' lower bodies when they continued toward the Israeli fence.

"We know of 12 injuries," she added.

After several hours of clashes, IDF began allowing Red Cross teams access to the Syrian border area in order to evacuate wounded protesters.

The clashes come as Palestinians mark the 1967 Six-Day War, an event they call the 'Naksa,' or setback. During the war, Israel captured the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, the Golan Heights from Syria and the Sinai Peninsula and Gaza Strip from Egypt.

Earlier on Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that there are "radical elements who are trying to breach [israel's] borders to mark the anniversary of the start of the Six Day War," speaking at the beginning of the weekly cabinet meeting. "We won't allow them to do it."

Netanyahu added that the security forces will act "firmly but with restraint."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-05

Israel not only has a right to control it's borders, it has a duty to stop an international border breach. These morons cut through the barbed wire and the fence as I understand it. Asking to be shot IMO.

In Texas if you tried to breach my border i have very right to secure my property with appropriate force. Including blowing ones head apart. Try breaching Chinas border or any other like this. Same result! If you have seen the video all appropriate measures were taken. Must have been martyr Mondays at the local Palestinian watering hole. dry.gif

http://www.debka.com/article/21000/

Syrian President Bashar Assad's security machine is creaking judging by its failure to raise thousands of Palestinian and Syrian volunteers to brave the Israeli troops manning the Golan Sunday, June 5 - three weeks after his success in staging the first mass border incursion. debkafile's intelligence sources reveal that even the few hundred willing to turn out demanded a fee: $1,000 for every demonstrator who managed to cut a piece of razor wire from the Israeli border fence – and exorbitant fee in Syrian terms - and $10,000 for the families of volunteers shot by Israeli troops before they reached their goal.

It's kind of ironic that Assad had to pay for this stage managed protest but still only ends up with less than a tenth the death toll he got free of charge by shooting his own citizens on Friday night.

The useful idiots will lap it up though and I bet some western camera crews were on hand even though there is normally a complete ban on foreign press in Syria.

The land belongs to Syria, and has been occupied by Israel since 1967.

Maybe Syria should watch out who they threaten to attack. Possession is nine-tenths of the law. ;)

Could you please show me the law which says a thief has a right to the property he stole.

The sore loser law. :lol:

"Syria's forces are "ready not only to repulse the aggression, but to initiate the act of liberation itself, and to explode the Zionist presence in the Arab homeland. The Syrian army, with its finger on the trigger, is united.... I as a military man, believe that the time has come to enter into a battle of annihilation." Syrian Defense Minister Hafez Assad, May 20, 1967

http://www.sixdaywar.org/content/threats.asp

Edited by Ulysses G.

The land belongs to Syria, and has been occupied by Israel since 1967. News reports are now saying more than 20 people are dead.

Syria attacked Israel with a large number of tanks, thinking that by coordinating attacks with Egypt (in the southern region), they would easily roll over Israel's small territory and drive the Jewish people out. The Israelis fought tenaciously, and smashed the Syrian foray. They probably could have taken Damascus a week later. The Syrians should send truckloads of olive oil to Israelis, thanking them for not taking a whole lot more of Syrian territory. I study military history, but even for those who don't, it's known that victors often take and hold territory. The Israelis could also own the Sinai peninsula if they so chose, because they knocked the Egyptians out of there. You look at any country's borders (except some islands), and you'll likely see parts of their territory gained or lost by armed conflict. The Arabs wanted to do a land grab and lost. Not once but twice, and they're lucky they haven't lost a lot more territory than they did - and that was because of strong intervention by western governments and Russia.

Have the IDF ever heard of Non Lethal force? It is a technique that most modern defense forces are well trained in. If the soldier's on the ground lives were not in danger then why shoot to kill.

BTW Al Jazzera is now reporting 20 killed.

Human rights groups say President Bashar Assad's forces killed at least 25 people .......his own people! Israelis kill six people who had been warned repeatedly with warning fire and loudspeakers. I also believe Israel needs defensible borders from the maniacs that surround. Iranian president and his bosses dont get along and are about to have a nuke, and look at the rest, its all gone to hell in a hand basket! Have a nice daybiggrin.gif

Some of my best friends are jewsthumbsup.gif

Edited by FOODLOVER

Have the IDF ever heard of Non Lethal force? It is a technique that most modern defense forces are well trained in. If the soldier's on the ground lives were not in danger then why shoot to kill.

The IDF had used non lethal measures previously with no success. The attackers still went through the clouds of tear gas and dodged the rubber bullets.

Tell you what, you go to an area where a state of war is still in place and use non lethal means when a bunch of hostile people start charging at you from the side that is still at war wth you, and see how long you last.

The guilty party in these deaths is the Syrian government that aided and abetted these idiots. The people that died knew what they were doing and chose to put to throw away their lives. Not the brightest of people to allow themselves to be manipulated by the Assad regime and even stupider to have charged at a nation that is under a state of war.

Yes, that's right a state of war. Syria is still in a state of war with Israel as it has refused to sign any armistice or peace treaty. Any violent people running towards Israel will be considered combatants.

The IDF had used non lethal measures previously with no success. The attackers still went through the clouds of tear gas and dodged the rubber bullets.

Tell you what, you go to an area where a state of war is still in place and use non lethal means when a bunch of hostile people start charging at you from the side that is still at war wth you, and see how long you last.

The guilty party in these deaths is the Syrian government that aided and abetted these idiots. The people that died knew what they were doing and chose to put to throw away their lives. Not the brightest of people to allow themselves to be manipulated by the Assad regime and even stupider to have charged at a nation that is under a state of war.

Yes, that's right a state of war. Syria is still in a state of war with Israel as it has refused to sign any armistice or peace treaty. Any violent people running towards Israel will be considered combatants.

They were not Syrian troops with assault rifles they killed. They were civilians waveing flags on a day when IDF personnel should have been 'warned out' and well prepared to deal with these protests that occur every year.

I have been in situations of being confronted by people protesting hysterically waving flags and never had the urge to shoot them. It is called good training and disciple.It is also called' not commiting war crimes against unarmed civilians'.

Maybe Syria should watch out who they threaten to attack. Possession is nine-tenths of the law. ;)

Could you please show me the law which says a thief has a right to the property he stole.

I am sorry, but that is a crazy statement, in my opinion. Israel "stole" the land? Israel was attacked and drove the Syrians off the land.

So by your logic, all non Native Americans should leave the US, the Russians should leave their Asian land, the Chinese should retreat to the old kingdom centered on what is now Chengdu, all European Australians should beat feet, England should be broken back into the various Brtions' holdings, and the rest of Europe, well, if you can figure out who had claim first before eons of wars, well, then you are a better historian than most.

For that matter, who should rule Syria? The Eblans? Canaanites? Phoenecians, Egyptians, Romans, Ottomans, Hittites, Sumerians, Assyrians, Byzantians, Greeks, French ( you get the picture).

Israel "won" the land in combat, like it or not. Syria "lost" it. Thems the consequences of war.

Edited by luckizuchinni

I am sorry, but that is a crazy statement, in my opinion. Israel "stole" the land? Israel was attacked and drove the Syrians off the land.

So by your logic, all non Native Americans should leave the US, the Russians should leave their Asian land, the Chinese should retreat to the old kingdom centered on what is now Chengdu, all European Australians should beat feet, England should be broken back into the various Brtions' holdings, and the rest of Europe, well, if you can figure out who had claim first before eons of wars, well, then you are a better historian than most.

For that matter, who should rule Syria? The Eblans? Canaanites? Phoenecians, Egyptians, Romans, Ottomans, Hittites, Sumerians, Assyrians, Byzantians, Greeks, French ( you get the picture).

Israel "won" the land in combat, like it or not. Syria "lost" it. Thems the consequences of war.

Going by that logic one would want to know how the US got a UN mandate to invade and liberate Kuwait from Iraq. Once again, by this logic Iraq won Kuwait fair and square.

Going by that logic one would want to know how the US got a UN mandate to invade and liberate Kuwait from Iraq. Once again, by this logic Iraq won Kuwait fair and square.

The Iraqis won it, they just couldn't hold it. The two go hand in hand.

They were not Syrian troops with assault rifles they killed. They were civilians waveing flags on a day when IDF personnel should have been 'warned out' and well prepared to deal with these protests that occur every year.

I have been in situations of being confronted by people protesting hysterically waving flags and never had the urge to shoot them. It is called good training and disciple.It is also called' not commiting war crimes against unarmed civilians'.

You have conveniently neglected to take into account that the IDF warned the people they would be shot. Teargas and rubber bullets did not work. You have also neglected the fact that a state of war is in place along the border. No war crimes were committed as the IDF were behind their lines and were legally allowed to protect their border. You throw around the term war crime without any understanding of its meaning.

You now claim to have been in a war zone and attacked by a large number of assailants without any urge to "shoot" the assailants. If you were an officer, you'd have been arrested and charged for putting your men in harm's way and allowing for the potential capture of a position and personnel that you were responsible for. It is called dereliction of duty. What part of the Syrian-Israeli demarcation line do you not understand is a legal battlefield? You might want to look up the definition of a non combatant and the rules that apply to "civilians" that take up action on behalf of one of opposing sides.

You do realize that you are pissing into the wind on this one don't you?

You have conveniently neglected to take into account that the IDF warned the people they would be shot. Teargas and rubber bullets did not work. You have also neglected the fact that a state of war is in place along the border. No war crimes were committed as the IDF were behind their lines and were legally allowed to protect their border. You throw around the term war crime without any understanding of its meaning.

You now claim to have been in a war zone and attacked by a large number of assailants without any urge to "shoot" the assailants. If you were an officer, you'd have been arrested and charged for putting your men in harm's way and allowing for the potential capture of a position and personnel that you were responsible for. It is called dereliction of duty. What part of the Syrian-Israeli demarcation line do you not understand is a legal battlefield? You might want to look up the definition of a non combatant and the rules that apply to "civilians" that take up action on behalf of one of opposing sides.

You do realize that you are pissing into the wind on this one don't you?

Who said anything about me being in a "War Zone" ? I cannot find these two words in my post. Can you ?

However I have been to hundreds of football games. Fans protesting hysterically with flags. :lol:

And where is it legal to shoot unarmed civilians? Regardless of if they are trying to cross a restricted border. Arresting them is the proper course of action. Remember that they were unarmed.

For up to 20 Syrian civilians to have been killed it must have been getting real serious and of course dangerous for the IDF personnel on the ground. How many casualties did they sustain? Any of them get hit with a flag? Or were there any eye injuries sustained by IDF personnel from having thier eyes poked by the protesters and thier flags? Seriously. How many injuries did Israel sustain? It was a protest!!!!! Not an attack!!!! Appropriate force is not 20-0.

Edited by coma

Would you care to explain in detail what that NON Lethal force is? and perhaps show some examples of the use of the so called NON lethal force? specifically when it comes to border breaches.

Perhaps IDF should follow the example of Syrian armed forces ;)

:cheesy:

Ah, the indignation continues from the usual suspects who are completely silent regarding the 130+ Assad had shot on Friday, memories of a goldfish some folks. Not a dickie either about how Assad even bankrolled the demonstraters in a cynical move to save his own regime by trying to deflect attention towards Israel.

And the US took it back "fair and square."

It is not a matter of fairness under the Marquess of Queensberry Rules. It is just a fact of life that peoples take lands of other peoples. Just look at a few of the examples I gave you on Syria itself. So to call the Israelis "thieves" is pretty silly.

Who said anything about me being in a "War Zone" ? I cannot find these two words in my post. Can you ?

However I have been to hundreds of football games.

You certainly tried to give the impression that you were controlling protesters in a similar situation to the IDF - not attending a football game . In other words, you have no clue about how to control large crowds of radical Islamic lunatics trying to illegally cross an International border.

However I have been to hundreds of football games.

You certainly tried to give the impression that you were controlling protesters in a similar situation to the IDF - not attending a football game . In other words, you have no clue about how to control large crowds of radical Islamic lunatics trying to illegally cross an International border.

If you think so. B)

Ah, the indignation continues from the usual suspects who are completely silent regarding the 130+ Assad had shot on Friday, memories of a goldfish some folks. Not a dickie either about how Assad even bankrolled the demonstrators in a cynical move to save his own regime by trying to deflect attention towards Israel.

It's obvious, and I agree with SDan, that sicko Assad orchestrated the incursion in an attempt to divert attention away from Syrian troops shooting their brethren.