Lemonaide From From Lemons

ray23

Last friday we got hit by a pickup on the big C road at a turn around fine individual that he was he didn't even slow down. Group of Thai's were out in the middle of the road helping us. One of which had a big grin on her face handing me the license plate of the pickup.

Next thing I knew an ambulance arrives and were off to AEK Udon, that was ok the wife was dizzy we were both wearing helmets. And hers had a deep three inch gouche in the top. So I was a bit worried about a concusion. The guy was going fast enough that he knocked a 300 kilo 750 CC motorcycle 65 feet sideways.

Everybody is panicking about me because I'm bleeeding heck I'm 58 I look at something sharp and I bleed. So got her taken care of. AEK Udon drove me to the Police with an interputer to file a report. The Police already had the licence plate.

Went back to the hospital where they cleaned me up and admitted my wife and I to the same room, there went flirting with the nurses.

By 1830 the owner of the pickup was on the phone talking to her, by 1930 the family is in our room explaining that yes the cars was thiers, but they were not driving it. Story was they had taken to a repair shop and someone at the shop was driving the car when it hit us.

Being the understanding sole that I am, my answer was if I was you I would go back to that shop get that driver and take him to the Police. Thinking well that should stop that until I got out of the hospital. Seems the police went to these peoples house that day and towed thier pickup away and I needed to sign something before they could get thier pickup back. Just wasn't in the cards for that to happen instantly.

The Thia mechanic who works on the bike went to the scene and took the bike to his shop.

I'll be darned if we didn't get a call the next morning form the people wanting us to meet them at the Police station cause they went and got the driver and took him to Police department.

My wife went there, the guys started trying to blame the accident on me at which time the Policeman made it very clear to him that he was wrong and he would be paying. They had the guy sign a statement saying he was at fault and that he would pay for the medical expenses and the repairs to the bike.

Well the guy doesn't have that kind of money, but the business he works for does and I will let my little lady lawyer work that one out.

The motorcycle insurance paid for my wifes treatment, something I wasn't expecting BUPA paid all my mediacl bills, the rumor was they would only pay 50% on a motorcycle acident, they paid 100% The total expenses I paid was 1706 baht. We are till getting bandages changed daily at no charge.

You know we had about seven Thia people help us that day and some of them even came to the hospital to visit us and make sure we were OK.

I didn't give any Thia's including the Police one baht, nor was I ever asked.

So sometimes all those nasty rumors we here just are not true

Glad that you two are OK. Pretty remarkable that everything went your way considering, as you said, all those nasty rumours. Of course you realize they are not all rumours and farangs do sometimes gets themselves burned from these instances. Perhaps Isaan handles things in a more honest way then some other areas of Thailand.

However, regarding the many Thais helping - that I feel is fairly universal in Thailand (IMHO).

Last friday we got hit by a pickup on the big C road at a turn around fine individual that he was he didn't even slow down. Group of Thai's were out in the middle of the road helping us. One of which had a big grin on her face handing me the license plate of the pickup.

Next thing I knew an ambulance arrives and were off to AEK Udon, that was ok the wife was dizzy we were both wearing helmets. And hers had a deep three inch gouche in the top. So I was a bit worried about a concusion. The guy was going fast enough that he knocked a 300 kilo 750 CC motorcycle 65 feet sideways.

Everybody is panicking about me because I'm bleeeding heck I'm 58 I look at something sharp and I bleed. So got her taken care of. AEK Udon drove me to the Police with an interputer to file a report. The Police already had the licence plate.

Went back to the hospital where they cleaned me up and admitted my wife and I to the same room, there went flirting with the nurses.

By 1830 the owner of the pickup was on the phone talking to her, by 1930 the family is in our room explaining that yes the cars was thiers, but they were not driving it. Story was they had taken to a repair shop and someone at the shop was driving the car when it hit us.

Being the understanding sole that I am, my answer was if I was you I would go back to that shop get that driver and take him to the Police. Thinking well that should stop that until I got out of the hospital. Seems the police went to these peoples house that day and towed thier pickup away and I needed to sign something before they could get thier pickup back. Just wasn't in the cards for that to happen instantly.

The Thia mechanic who works on the bike went to the scene and took the bike to his shop.

I'll be darned if we didn't get a call the next morning form the people wanting us to meet them at the Police station cause they went and got the driver and took him to Police department.

My wife went there, the guys started trying to blame the accident on me at which time the Policeman made it very clear to him that he was wrong and he would be paying. They had the guy sign a statement saying he was at fault and that he would pay for the medical expenses and the repairs to the bike.

Well the guy doesn't have that kind of money, but the business he works for does and I will let my little lady lawyer work that one out.

The motorcycle insurance paid for my wifes treatment, something I wasn't expecting BUPA paid all my mediacl bills, the rumor was they would only pay 50% on a motorcycle acident, they paid 100% The total expenses I paid was 1706 baht. We are till getting bandages changed daily at no charge.

You know we had about seven Thia people help us that day and some of them even came to the hospital to visit us and make sure we were OK.

I didn't give any Thia's including the Police one baht, nor was I ever asked.

So sometimes all those nasty rumors we here just are not true

Ray, thanks for a good story, and in my experience, it's typical. :o

Pleased to know you and Poiy got out of it in reasonable shape mate, it sounds like it could have been a whole lot worse. We will see you both on Monday,maybe some of that apple crumble will assist the recuperation. :o

MMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apple Crumble

Yeah, and lemonaid....MMMMMM.........has everyone forgotten the lemonaide from from lemons?

Hello Ray,

good to hear that you are O.K.. I got squashed when I was 20 years old and almost lost my leg because I was riding a motorbike. If it happened now, I would lose my leg for sure. Long time in hospital- bed pans and terrible food.

We never seem to learn though because I had quite a few bikes after that. Still have one now, old british thing in prime condition that I only ride when the weather is good and just for fun. A toy.

The nice things that you say about the Thais are for me very good to hear as the missus has plans for us to retire in the Issan in the not to distant future and if I lived in Thailand I would have a motorsai for sure.

All the best and I hope the purple bits dont last to long.

Nick.

hel_l of a way to get some apple crumble Ray. :o

But it's so good

Well my settlement was a bit different, I'm out of pocket 1700 baht the insurance covered everything else. It was obvious today that the kid had no money and his boss left him hung out to dry. The losses between the medical and repairs to the bike were about 50K. I didn't let them know I was a cop until it was all over. I couldn't let studly walk free since it was a hit and run. So everyday off he has for the next three years he is to report to my house for work detail. That should give him some time to think a better appraoch next time and thats good enough for me.

I actually wanting him to help an old couple somewhere but the cops couldn't figure out a way to pull that one off.

Glad to here you and your missus are fine ray. And a pitty about the old bike how bad is it. I just got a phone call from my missus and she tells me that there is very large pool of oil under my bike (god dam it)  :D

I can have it back on the road for 10K but minus a lot of goodies. I'm shopping now, jut ready frop something newer but we will see. Kind o stupid on my part thought I tinkered with that for over a year getting all th bugs out, but boys and thier toys. When your ready I will get you over to ome mechanic's here that are good on big bikes and won't rape you. Or if they do they will respect you in the morning :o