Palestinian official warns of uprising in Israeli detention facilities after detainee goes on hunger strike

News_Editor

Palestinian official warns of uprising in Israeli detention facilities after detainee goes on hunger strike

2011-06-09 10:04:23 GMT+7 (ICT)

RAMALLAH (BNO NEWS) -- Palestinian Minister of Political Detainee Affairs Issa Qaraqe on Wednesday warned of a possible uprising by Palestinian prisoners inside Israeli military detention facilities, the Palestine News Network (PNN) reported.

Qaraqe said that a Palestinian prisoner is undergoing a hunger strike for the sixth consecutive day inside an Israeli prison. Akram Mansour, who Qarage said was diagnosed with a brain tumor, alleges that the Israeli military is refusing to provide him with appropriate medical care.

According to Qaraqe, the situation could lead to an uprising by the political detainees, who demand the release of the reportedly sick prisoner. He added that the ministry has requested a court hearing to discuss the possibility of Mansour's release, but the Israeli military is allegedly evading the request by refusing to set a date for the case. 

Mansour gave the ministry lawyer, Karem Ajwa, a letter addressed to the Palestinian president as well as human rights groups, assuring that his hunger strike would continue. Meanwhile, Palestinian prisoners announced that they would start holding protests if Mansour is not released immediately.

PNN said Mansour was arrested by Israeli forces on August 2, 1979, but did not say on what charges. The report claimed he was sentenced to 35 years in prison, but gave no other details, and Israel has not commented on the report. Qarage reportedly referred to Mansour as a 'political prisoner'.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-09

For reference purposes the detained person hijacked a civilian bus in 1979.. A passenger was murdered. Israel does not have the death penalty, but instead has prison sentences.

I wonder if this brain tumour is as serious as the cancer of the Pan Am bomber who supposedly only had weeks to live but went off to live in Libya - compassionate grounds release etc.

I support his right to not eat. :thumbsup:

Considering that the meals and accommodation are at expense of the government, i second your support. All the money saved can always be used for a better cause ;)

Can only hope others also join him on strike :D

I'm sure there are sundry NGO's and politically motivated activists masquerading as human rights organisations who are no doubt salivating at the prospect of him starving himself to death.

Edited by Scott
double word

I'm sure there are sundry NGO's and politically motivated activists masquerading as human rights organisations who are no no doubt salivating at the prospect of him starving himself to death.

You reckon they find a way to twist it and make it out that Israel made him go on strike? or stopped providing food for him?

I reckon, they will make it into him being tortured and starved to death and he was a peace loving person who never harmed even a fly, of course he was also an elderly civilian ph34r.gif

I'm sure there are sundry NGO's and politically motivated activists masquerading as human rights organisations who are no no doubt salivating at the prospect of him starving himself to death.

You reckon they find a way to twist it and make it out that Israel made him go on strike? or stopped providing food for him?

I reckon, they will make it into him being tortured and starved to death and he was a peace loving person who never harmed even a fly, of course he was also an elderly civilian ph34r.gif

The concentration camp comparison cartoons are probably already drawn and just waiting to go to press, I think we all know the score by now. :ermm: