Bangkok Is Prepared To Handle Possible Floods

Jai Dee

BANGKOK IS PREPARED TO HANDLE POSSIBLE FLOODS IN THE FUTURE

Bangkok Governor APHIRAK KOSAYOTHIN (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) disclosed that the Department of Drainage and Sewerage has laid out measures to deal with possible floods in the capital, particularly in the areas where the elevation is 50 centimeters lower than sea level. Some of those areas include the waterways in BANG SUE (บางซื่อ), SAMSEN (สามเสน), and PHRA KANONG (พระโขนง). The measures will also handle the anticipating precipitation in the future. He said the drainage system will be able to drain rainwater very efficiently. However, it will also depend on the duration and the amount of rainfall.

In addition, the Bangkok officials have placed 2.3 million sandbags in flood-prone riverbanks, and they have also prepared 200,000 more sandbags for future use. More than 1,000 personnel have been dispatched to help out the Bangkokians who will be troubled by the possible floods and severe precipitation. At the same time, officials have also ensured that electricity will run smoothly during such incidents.

The installations of water pumps will be divided into three zones. They include the area near CHAO PHRAYA (เจ้าพระยา) River, the central part of Bangkok and the eastern region of the capital. More than 1,000 water pumps will be installed throughout the city.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 11 ตุลาคม 2548

"NO MORE FLOODS IN BANGKOK" SAYS MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE AND COOPERATIVES

Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Khunying SUDARAT KEYURAPHAN (สุดารัตน์ เกยุราพันธุ์) ensures that flooding will not occur in central part of Thailand as the Ministry has the capacity to control the influx of water coming from the northern region.

Khunying SUDARAT (สุดารัตน์) also mentioned that a team oficials have ben designated to work on the artificial rainmaking project, to help assist drought in the northeastern part of Thailand to store up water. Currently only 30% of water have been stored.

Khunying Sudarat further said that there will not be floods in the central region unless hit by another storm.

As for the flood prevention measures, the minister said that there will be damns and water pumps to control the flow of water into canals at the western part of Bangkok and also have it released into the sea.

Finally Khunying Sudarat added that more than 80 water pumps will be installed to drain water from the flooded areas. For long term measures, the ministry will request a two thousand million baht budget from the cabinet.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 13 ตุลาคม 2548

I was fully intending to have a weekend in Surin, one thing and another has brought me home to the comfort of Bangkok, rather than the rustic charm of other places.

I was very interested to hear a raio report on the way home that Asoke etc was going to flood tomorrow because of the rising on the Chao-Phra-ya river. I dismissed it, until driving down Asoke I saw several guys in orange, looking like some Emergency team.

So I asked my wife and she indifferently replied

Oh they are here to help people when it floods tomorrow
. I can believe how indifferent they all are. The Security guards, were still directing cars to the basement (I chose the 5th floor) and they were laughing and saying "Mai mee Ngam" The ladies in the local 7-11 suggested I buy extra smokes and booze because there was going to be flooding.

Just strange. Personally I hope there is no flood tomorrow - I forgot to buy milk.

HYDROGRAPHIC DEPARTMENT CERTAIN THERE WILL BE NO FLOODING IN BKK TODAY

The Hydrographic Department forecasted that today's reinforcing seawater will not cause flooding in Bangkok.

Oceanographic Division's director, Captain Withoon Tanthikul (วิฑูรย์ ตัณฑิกุล), said two instances of peak seawater height will take place today, and they will reach the highest level for this month. The first rising had already occurred at 5.13 am, while the second one should come about at 10 past 6 in the evening. According to the forecast, the seawater level would rise 1.74 meters above average seawater level.

Despite the water level increasing to 20 centimeters higher than that recorded on October 9th, it would certainly not cause flooding in Bangkok, as northern water being released from dams only amounted to 1,000 cubic meters per second. Besides, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's water barrier was as high as 2.2 meters. Also, only slight raining is taking place during this period due to the approaching winter season.

The head of the Oceanographic Division asked people in Bangkok not to panic over news concerned with flooding, as the Hydrographic Department has calculated from reinforcing seawater data and reports from the Meteorological Department and is confident that flooding will not occur.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอาทิตย์ที่ 16 ตุลาคม 2548