Tens of thousands kick off Tel Aviv's gay pride parade

News_Editor

Tens of thousands kick off Tel Aviv's gay pride parade

2011-06-10 22:34:12 GMT+7 (ICT)

TEL AVIV (BNO NEWS) -- Tens of thousands on Friday gathered in Tel Aviv to kick off the annual Gay Pride Parade, the Jerusalem Post reported.

Police closed streets along the parade route in central Tel Aviv to safeguard the event. During the parade's opening, opposition leader Tzipi Livni told the crowd that all people have the right to be who they want to be, and the issue does not need to be a political issue dominated by the Left. He also said that the government has the responsibility to protect the rights of all people.

Also speaking, was Nitzan Horowitz, a gay member of parliament. He told the crowd: "We will expand the struggle so that anybody who wants to live his or her life on their own path, can do that without fear of being cursed or hit in the street, without fearing being thrown out of their home, and with the fear of being harassed at work."

YNet news reported that Friday's parade was the biggest in Tel Aviv's history according to the mayor's advisor on gay community affairs Yaniv Weizman. He said that more than 100,000 people attended the march.

Over 5,000 tourists were expected to arrive from overseas just to join in the celebrations.

Unlike previous years, there was no counter-protest by far-right activists.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-10

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A parade, with 100K participants. I wonder if there is a gay parade in any arab country. Hmm. That would entail civil liberties, wouldn't it?

*snicker*

I suppose a march of women's libbers, transexuals or atheist/humanists would be out of the question too. :ph34r:

There is no doubt that Israel has civil liberties that we from the west can identify with, as related in the OP. The comment by Nitzan Horowitz though. shows that perhaps total acceptance and equality of homosexuals has a way to go yet, as is the case in many other countries.

Off topic: A common trend I notice on any thread mentioning Israel, is some posters will almost always start comparisons with it's Arab neighbours, even though no other country is mentioned in the OP.

There is no doubt that Israel has civil liberties that we from the west can identify with, as related in the OP. The comment by Nitzan Horowitz though. shows that perhaps total acceptance and equality of homosexuals has a way to go yet, as is the case in many other countries.

Off topic: A common trend I notice on any thread mentioning Israel, is some posters will almost always start comparisons with it's Arab neighbours, even though no other country is mentioned in the OP.

That's because Israel is a Middle Eastern country located right in the middle of the Arabic world.

Next ...

That's because Israel is a Middle Eastern country located right in the middle of the Arabic world.

Next ...

I see. And I was thinking that some wished to promote Israel at every opportunity by putting it's neighbors down, ( which is actually a poor way of doing it ) I look forward to the comments when Brazil holds it's gay parade, just as a source of comparison.

Just for you, next....

Judas, You are right in a way with your observation, but have neglected to extend your reasoning to ask why this is. Perhaps it has something to do with the microscopic scrutiny some posters afford to every single perceived wrong Israel does, whilst completely ignoring far more serious wrongs committed by it's neighbours. This being the case would you not see it as understandable that such hypocritical behavior warrants some people having their noses rubbed in it at every opportunity.

Judas, You are right in a way with your observation, but have neglected to extend your reasoning to ask why this is. Perhaps it has something to do with the microscopic scrutiny some posters afford to every single perceived wrong Israel does, whilst completely ignoring far more serious wrongs committed by it's neighbours. This being the case would you not see it as understandable that such hypocritical behavior warrants some people having their noses rubbed in it at every opportunity.

I do, to a degree, understand where you are coming from Steely Dan but for me, the promotion of one country by berating another is almost counter productive. There is little, IMO, to be gained by promoting Israel as a free and open nation with the argument that it's Arab neighbours are not the same. The best way to sell a product is not by belittling the competition but by promoting the product and company in a positive way. Israel is unfortunately, in my eyes, a product which needs constant selling on it's merits on the international stage to ensure support, in the face of it's adversaries.

I appreciate your openness in your reply.

Edited by JUDAS

I do, to a degree, understand where you are coming from Steely Dan but for me, the promotion of one country by berating another is almost counter productive. There is little, IMO, to be gained by promoting Israel as a free and open nation with the argument that it's Arab neighbours are not the same. The best way to sell a product is not by belittling the competition but by promoting the product and company in a positive way. Israel is unfortunately, in my eyes, a product which needs constant selling on it's merits on the international stage to ensure support, in the face of it's adversaries.

I appreciate your openness in your reply.

Israel in your eyes is a product which needs constant selling eh? I'm not sure whether you are giving your view of Israel or it's perception to the outside world. Returning to the OT, Israel is a democracy with a mostly secular leaning population who are tolerant to others choices or religion, gender preference etc. There is a lot of positive contributions Israel makes to the world but if you weigh up the praise it receives for it's good aspects compared to the criticism it recieves for it's less acceptable ones I doubt you would find a Country on earth where the disparity is so marked. To illustrate this bias the Balen report was an independant report commissioned by the BBC to investigate whether it had an anti-Israel bias. On completion the BBC refused to divulge the contents of said report and actually went to court to ensure it's contents were not accessable through the freedom of information act. Again I would invite you to draw your own conclusions.

Experience shows that most threads concerning Israel and the Middle East end in posts being deleted and eventually topics being closed. In order to prevent this, let's focus on the OP and the situation related to gays in Israel. Comparisons are welcomed, but off-topic posts won't be.

Thanks.

Guilty as charged. Hence my use of "snicker". I confess to getting a little bit of pleasure at noting that Tel Aviv was able to have a peaceful parade in the midst of a region where peaceful parades are not a common occurrence. There wasn't anything sinister in my observation. Having a Pride event does make a statement, a statement that for the week at least there is acceptance and some love. Seeing happy people makes for a nice change. Having a large scale public gathering withut mayhem (aside from a fashion mishap) is a good thing.

I noticed one newspaper comment;

"Tel Aviv has a very vibrant Gay community that demands funds and equal rights... And they get it. They are 16 to 17 percent of the citys population and are a major trend-setting force in our city," Deputy Tel Aviv Mayor Asaf Zamir said.

Yowza. I had no idea Tel Aviv was so gay.

Because they are bigots.

Oh and I would bet, after seeing that Jewish newspaper photo shopping out all the women in the command room where President Obama was ordering the hit on Bin Ladin, the only reason they don't protest against this parade is because they NEED the US to support them. so they have to look as democratic as they possibly can despite being a theocracy.

But anyway, all that aside, good for the gays there I bet it's nice to have something to smile about.

Because they are bigots.

Oh and I would bet, after seeing that Jewish newspaper photo shopping out all the women in the command room where President Obama was ordering the hit on Bin Ladin, the only reason they don't protest against this parade is because they NEED the US to support them. so they have to look as democratic as they possibly can despite being a theocracy.

But anyway, all that aside, good for the gays there I bet it's nice to have something to smile about.

You seem angry. Is it because the float was filled with Falashas that were more buff than you? I know that I resent these gay pride parades because way too many guys are better looking than me. They make me feel so old and fat. :( I've been to a couple and it is distressing to hear my friends go OMG he's gorgeous, I so want him, and I'm like going, yo, he's gay and doesn't want you and you do realize that I'm standing next to you, I got feelings. :o

Oh hell yeah Geriatric most of the buff gays got nicer bods than mine LOL! I just stock up on Old Spice and suck my gut in.

But I ain't hatin on em I don't wanna have to go through what they go through to get it.

Next ...

Israel is a Western style democracy with gays openly serving in the army and an excellent example of a modern-thinking people trying to do the right thing.

They're jewish and homosexual ?? Sounds a bit like masochism on a mass scale !!

Jewish is capitalized, mate. Being a "homosexual" Jew is bloody feygele-ous, snookums. Don't knock it till you've tried it. You should be so lucky. In any case it beats the pants off being an asexual Mormon ...

Yes, apparently it's true, Israel's cosmopolitan capital of Tel Aviv is tres gay, and they have great beaches, what's not to like?

They are people with hands, legs and everything else just like anyone else. What they do in the bedroom is no ones business.

Religion or nationality have nothing to do with sexual preferences.

The only difference is, while being Jewish and Gay is every Jewish mothers nightmare, it is still a fact and people in Israel are allowed to celebrate it, unlike in the neighboring countries or even Russia.

This has nothing to do with pleasing USA as some poster keeps claiming, and nothing to do with with anything else.

Prior to this year, there were always anit gay demonstrators also, the religious right wing, however they did not bash, kill or cut off any parts of their body.

So in a nutshell, Israel is showing once again about its "development" unlike the "springs" and the "offsprings" or the "onsprings" or whatever name you want to give it.

Reminds me of Posner's line in 'The History Boys':

"I'm a Jew... I'm small... I'm homosexual... and I live in Sheffield... I'm f*cked." :lol:

Next ...

Israel’s gay PR campaign

Israel has begun an aggressive public relations campaign to market itself as an oasis of gay tolerance and democracy in the Mideast, surrounded by “backward” countries where gays have no rights. The campaign is not about supporting queers in Palestine or elsewhere in the Mideast who are resisting homophobia. It is about using their experience of homophobia to promote hatred of Palestinians, Arabs, and Muslims – including queer Palestinians, Arabs, and Muslims.

http://queersagainstapartheid.org/gayisrael/

Edited by Scott
edited for fair use policy

Speaking as a gay man I get really tired of being dragged into other people's political campaigns. Here's a clue. The only place in the Middle East where being gay isn't a crime punishable by various horrific penalties is Israel. The IDF has treated gay members the same as straight members since 1993. And no, I'm not Israeli, I'm not Jewish and I've never been there. If you have problems with gay Palestinians, Arabs and Muslims being treated badly I suggest you complain to the relevant authorities rather than trying to blame Israel.

Israel has begun an aggressive public relations campaign to market itself as an oasis of gay tolerance and democracy in the Mideast, surrounded by “backward” countries where gays have no rights.

It seems that Israel has a very valid point. ;)

From the article :

'Unlike previous years, there was no counter-protest by far-right activists.'

It is good that the scum didn't show up. Far-right groups anywhere in the world are scum ; they are full of hatred and often act violently.

Jem

Edited by JemJem

Why has this been deemed as "News"? No mention of the Amsterdam, Brighton events. You would be better spending your time looking at real Middle Eastern issues such as the plight of the enforced unemployed in the West Bank and Gazza through no fault of their own.