Police investigate contact between Rep. Weiner and Delaware teen

News_Editor

Police investigate contact between Rep. Weiner and Delaware teen

2011-06-11 17:19:52 GMT+7 (ICT)

WILMINGTON, DELAWARE (BNO NEWS) -- Police in the U.S. state of Delaware are investigating the online contact U.S. Representative Anthony Weiner had with a local teenager, authorities said on Saturday.

Weiner, who has been the U.S. Representative for New York's 9th district since January 1999, has been involved in a scandal known as Weinergate since he accidentally posted a sexually suggestive picture on the social networking website Twitter. The Congressman had meant to send it privately to a 21-year-old woman, but accidentally sent it to all of his followers on Twitter.

The politician, who was considering a run for Mayor of New York City, has admitted to exchanging sexually explicit messages and photographs with at least six women over a three-year period, both before and during his marriage with Huma Abedin, a senior aide to U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

But suspicion has been raised since Weiner was also found to have 'followed' a 17-year-old girl from Delaware, who said on Twitter that she is "in love" with the Congressman. "Seriously talking to Representative Weiner from New York right now! Like is my life real?" the girl, whose identity is being withheld because she is a minor, said on Twitter, according to Patterico.com.

The authenticity of the public messages the teenager sent could not be confirmed since she has made her account private since the scandal broke. But in a recent message which was archived by Twitter Search, the girl apparently referenced to Weinergate.

"Still confused and disappointed. Labarb thinks he should resign for the sake of the party. I'm still undecided ... but pissed," the girl, who described politics as her "one true love", said earlier this week. Later messages archived by Twitter Search did not appear to reference to Weiner.

On Saturday, New Castle County Police spokeswoman Tracey Duffy confirmed that officers had interviewed the girl. "On Friday, detectives were made aware of alleged contact between Congressman Anthony Weiner and an area teen," Duffy said. "Detectives have conducted an interview with the teen and she has made no disclosure of criminal activity nor inappropriate contact by the Congressman."

Police gave no other details about the interview, or whether they would continue any investigation. But a member of the girl's family told the New York Times that they were concerned about Weiner's private contact with the girl, although the family member characterized the messages as "harmless."

"I am angry. This is surreal and unbelievable. It is absolutely crazy. We are just regular people who go to baseball games and basketball games, as ordinary and plain as can be," the family member told the New York Times on the condition of anonymity to protect her identity. She said the girl's mother had been asked to turn her daughter's computer and phone over to police to make sure no crime had occurred.

It was not immediately clear how many messages were exchanged between the Congressman and the teenager, who wrote in her Twitter profile about wanting to become president of the United States. "How hip am I talking to a future president," Weiner told the girl in a private message, according to the New York Times which managed to obtain one of the messages.

Risa Heller, a spokeswoman for Weiner, gave no additional details. "According to Congressman Weiner, his communications with this person were neither explicit nor indecent," she said in an e-mail statement.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-11

politicians have groupies also - though I always wanted to be a top touring musician - because then having groupies would not be front page news. Tough titty, Weiner. P.S. I saw a photo of your wife, .....not too shabby. Heck, I'd even pick her up if she was hitchhiking by the side of a dark and rainy road - late one night.

You may know the 60's song:

"while you're out lookin' for sugar, somebody's gonna take your honey and your wine."

Edited by maidu