Cheap Doner Kebabs In Bkk

cameozo

I'm looking for doner kebabs in Bangkok like the ones that are all over Pattaya. I used to eat these things every other day when I was in Pattaya. My favorite place was the place at the corner of 2nd road and PhayaThai Road. I know these aren't exactly authentic, but I'm craving them. I went to Soi Arab (soi3) the other day during lunch time and there were none out, I thought there would be street stand everywhere. I was able to purchase a Kebab from one of the restaurants and it was good, it was more authentic, but I'm looking for one like the ones in Pattaya. Help me out. Time of day / day of week would be great too.

:whistling:

Sorry to hijack this topic, but has anyone been to the Shaharazad (not sure of the spelling) restaurant recently. It's on Soi 3 or Soi3-1 off Sukhumvit about 500 meters or so in from the road.

Last time I was there was at least 20 years ago.

Yes all the female staff wore headresses, and they served (still don't I'm told) NO ALCOHOL....I can see a lot of people are already tuning out in disgust....but they had the ABSOLUTE BEST Arabic/middle-eastern/and Indian Mulsim food in Bangkok I ever had in my life (and I worked 5 years in the Arabian Gulf and in Turkey for 2 years).

The owner was an Iranian (he left Iran to get away from Khomeni, if you must know) and there was a Muslim prayer room upstars...that's why NO ALCOHOL.

The last review I can find about it on the internet is from early 2010. That review mentions the Thai waitresses as being dressed in the Chador...but the reviewer mentions that he was never in the mideast and I'm not sure if he really knows the difference between the Chador and a headdress. (full head covering)

Actually I don't care what they look like or what they wear, I would be going there just for the food anyhow.

So, my question is: has anyone been there in the last year...and is the food still excellant?

(They used to do a roasted Lamb dish that still makes me drool just to think about it).

P.S. If you "don't like Arabs" avoid the place...there are far more Arabic customers than Thai or farang.

:blink:

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a kebab stall outside panthip I thunk (can't remember for sure) but definitely outside one of the malls in the vicinity. Day time stall

Soi 3 is night time

Another place would be khaosarn road. But again only night time. (I think). Although there's a couple of small sit down restaurants in the little lane beside the police station. Perhaps they are also open during the day?

• 3 months later...

:whistling:

Sorry to hijack this topic, but has anyone been to the Shaharazad (not sure of the spelling) restaurant recently. It's on Soi 3 or Soi3-1 off Sukhumvit about 500 meters or so in from the road.

Last time I was there was at least 20 years ago.

Yes all the female staff wore headresses, and they served (still don't I'm told) NO ALCOHOL....I can see a lot of people are already tuning out in disgust....but they had the ABSOLUTE BEST Arabic/middle-eastern/and Indian Mulsim food in Bangkok I ever had in my life (and I worked 5 years in the Arabian Gulf and in Turkey for 2 years).

The owner was an Iranian (he left Iran to get away from Khomeni, if you must know) and there was a Muslim prayer room upstars...that's why NO ALCOHOL.

The last review I can find about it on the internet is from early 2010. That review mentions the Thai waitresses as being dressed in the Chador...but the reviewer mentions that he was never in the mideast and I'm not sure if he really knows the difference between the Chador and a headdress. (full head covering)

Actually I don't care what they look like or what they wear, I would be going there just for the food anyhow.

So, my question is: has anyone been there in the last year...and is the food still excellant?

(They used to do a roasted Lamb dish that still makes me drool just to think about it).

P.S. If you "don't like Arabs" avoid the place...there are far more Arabic customers than Thai or farang.

:blink:

Thanks for the heads up. I used to use a place in Bournemouth which was a kebab shop with a tiny restaurant behind....they did one meal each day only.

The roast lamb came in a bowl on its own with another bowl next to it of rice. First time I ordered I thought it would be dry as hell....touched the top of the lamb with my spoon and the bubbles started to rise until they covered just to the rim of the bowl....absolutely delicious lamb...the best I have ever tasted.

I'll be checking this place out soon! smile.gif

I was in BKK in July and there was a good ME restaurant in the basement of the Ploenchit Center (across Suk from Soi 3)...mostly ME clientele...tasty shwarma...got meself a mezza and shwarma and pigged out...the waiter warned that as a single diner I was ordering a lot of food...didn't care, took it back to the hotel and feasted for the next 2 days in between plates of tacos from Sunrise...I had been deprived for months working in rural Vietnam, y'see...

near where I lived in Jeddah there was a place that did excellent falafel sandwiches with salad, lots of tahini sauce and arabic bread...I thought:'falafel burrito'...man, was it good and would dive in out in the car and not wait to get home, tahini sauce all over the steering wheel...

'near where I lived in Jeddah there was a place that did excellent falafel sandwiches with salad, lots of tahini sauce and arabic bread...I thought:'falafel burrito'...man, was it good and would dive in out in the car and not wait to get home, tahini sauce all over the steering wheel...'

to finish the story, the falafel sandwiches were prepared by an unsmiling, grim faced, middle aged arab man who frowned at me over the counter (take away only) as he deftly prepared the items without one wasted motion and I said once: 'do you know that you probably prepare the best falafel sandwiches in Jeddah?' and he grunted and his facial expression did not change...

There is a stand at the food court in Paragon.

Devilishly good and lots of sauces to choose from.

If you eat one, you gotta have another, and then another. This will repeat untill you explode.

I prefer them sized that I don't need to have another,and then another.:D

This thread has been seriously hijacked.

Am I correct in assuming that the OP is seeking the processed doner kebab as is sold all over the UK. It looks like a huge triangular sausage stuck (pointy bit down) on a large skewer and turned in front of a flame in order to bbq the outside? It's then thinly sliced and packed into a pitta-bread with salad (or not) jalapeno peppers (or not) salsa, yoghurt (or not).

If so, I can see where he's coming from in that a "real" kebab is wonderful but a phony kebab is nonetheless so. Same as a proper ground-beef burger is good, but so is a McDonalds. Same as black coffee is my usual choice but I can also appreciate a cafe-latte.

So, assumptions abounding, does anyone know where a proper mass-produced doner kebab can be had in Bangkok?

Am I correct in assuming that the OP is seeking the processed doner kebab as is sold all over the UK. It looks like a huge triangular sausage stuck (pointy bit down) on a large skewer and turned in front of a flame in order to bbq the outside? It's then thinly sliced and packed into a pitta-bread with salad (or not) jalapeno peppers (or not) salsa, yoghurt (or not).

If so, I can see where he's coming from in that a "real" kebab is wonderful but a phony kebab is nonetheless so. Same as a proper ground-beef burger is good, but so is a McDonalds. Same as black coffee is my usual choice but I can also appreciate a cafe-latte.

So, assumptions abounding, does anyone know where a proper mass-produced doner kebab can be had in Bangkok?

yeah, sorry to hijack...I get carried away on food threads (and generally speaking)

at the Beirut restaurant (Ploenchit center) that me and UG refer to above they sell a proper Middle Eastern shwarma and I can't tell how that compares to the UK variety (kebab) 'cause I never had one...and there is a lot of variety; can vary significantly from chef to chef in the same location in a city in the Gulf, for example sometimes wrapped up with chips but always with tahini sauce...the turkish 'iskendr kebap' is served with tomato sauce, piled high on a plate, mostly...there might have even been a 'kebab war' thread in the food section of thaivisa a few years back with contributions from the west LA israeli shwarma street cart brigade...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yeah, sorry to hijack...I get carried away on food threads (and generally speaking)

at the Beirut restaurant (Ploenchit center) that me and UG refer to above they sell a proper Middle Eastern shwarma and I can't tell how that compares to the UK variety (kebab) 'cause I never had one...and there is a lot of variety; can vary significantly from chef to chef in the same location in a city in the Gulf, for example sometimes wrapped up with chips but always with tahini sauce...the turkish 'iskendr kebap' is served with tomato sauce, piled high on a plate, mostly...there might have even been a 'kebab war' thread in the food section of thaivisa a few years back with contributions from the west LA israeli shwarma street cart brigade...

No need to yell "I'm Spartacus", tutsiwarrior. It was hijacked long before you chipped in and I agree, it is very easy to go off-topic in any thread but particularly with regard to food (most of us, me included, would have to hold our hands up in guilt to that one, on occasion).

A British doner kebab is guite distinctive in that it looks more like a huge Frankfurter of processed lamb (or lamb derivitives, colourings and flavourings - as is more likely). It's about as near to real lamb meat as a frozen chicken nugget is to..........chicken.

Problem(?) is that it tastes ruddy marvelous and I tend to keep my consumption down to 1 or 2 each year (makes them all the more special, for that, as well as stopping me becoming Billy Bunter).

I'd certainly like to find a LOS vendor, though, assuming that is what the OP was also enquiring after (if not, I'm happy to start my own Thread).;)

A picture paints a thousand words, it is said:

post-142608-0-90906700-1319364579_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to yell "I'm Spartacus", tutsiwarrior. It was hijacked long before you chipped in and I agree, it is very easy to go off-topic in any thread but particularly with regard to food (most of us, me included, would have to hold our hands up in guilt to that one, on occasion).

A British doner kebab is guite distinctive in that it looks more like a huge Frankfurter of processed lamb (or lamb derivitives, colourings and flavourings - as is more likely). It's about as near to real lamb meat as a frozen chicken nugget is to..........chicken.

Problem(?) is that it tastes ruddy marvelous and I tend to keep my consumption down to 1 or 2 each year (makes them all the more special, for that, as well as stopping me becoming Billy Bunter).

I'd certainly like to find a LOS vendor, though, assuming that is what the OP was also enquiring after (if not, I'm happy to start my own Thread).;)

A picture paints a thousand words, it is said:

In the US, this type of processed meat first showed up in Greek restaurants. I have enjoyed them for at least 40 years. In Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Israel, and Turkey, I have had the same type of processed meat, even if the spices and maybe meat mixture are a little different. Only in Turkey was the term'"doner" used (although the term is used throughout Europe as well.)

Regardless, while I still love the Greek variation the best, all are pretty darn good (although the singularly best I ever ate were in Gaziantep, Turkey.) I have yet to find a great one in Thailand, but still, pretty much any one is at least tasty.

• 3 weeks later...