Phuket Fishing Park

Marksamui

I went on Saturday and found the park is under new management since late last month.

No changes apart from the price. 1,500b to fish or 2,500b to fish with meat etc.

Not sure what they are planing to do but it was not busy and won't be at the new prices unless they make some changes (get some bigger fish!)

On the plus side I did have a couple of big Redtails on the 1st and 2nd cast :)

did you pay the 1500 to fish??? That's steep!

They should drain the place, keep the red tails, carp and bigger mekongs. Then put in some features. Pretty much start again.

Mind you, If the average size of the sawaii was 20kg then it might be worth 300 to 400 baht a day to fish. Not 500, definately not 1000 and 1500 is a joke.

2500! :cheesy: oh Please!

Do you guys have any idea what it cost to run a whole fishing Lake?? apparently not...

No wonder the former owner had to sell it since she was not making any money at all with the prices they had.

One redtail cost around 12,000 baht only to buy... who has to replace that when it dies? you?

You can always go to Kathu fishing pond...

They should drain the place, keep the red tails, carp and bigger mekongs. Then put in some features. Pretty much start again.

Mind you, If the average size of the sawaii was 20kg then it might be worth 300 to 400 baht a day to fish. Not 500, definately not 1000 and 1500 is a joke.

Do you guys have any idea what it cost to run a whole fishing Lake?? apparently not...

No wonder the former owner had to sell it since she was not making any money at all with the prices they had.

One redtail cost around 12,000 baht only to buy... who has to replace that when it dies? you?

Strange that places like shadow lake and bungsamran can function with much lower costs. (ok they dont have redtails but i think mekong not sawai arent cheap either.

Its all about how much money someone wants to make and how fast. I think prices like that are crazy. And you see that its not busy so people dont accept those kind of prices anymore. People vote with their feet.

Bungsamran got avoided because of its dual pricing now it has no dual prices if you have license and i see a lot more expats fishing there. High prices might not be a problem for a tourist but for most expats who like to fish often they are.

There are times i go fishing 3 times a week nobody would pay that, i thik its better to have more clients at lower prices then a few at higher ones.

THere are bell curbes that show how pricing affects sales they show the same. Most people dont have good business sense. I rather make 10 sales with 100 baht profit then 1 with 500.

The point is that Phuket fishing park is just not good enough to warrent charging 1500 bht a day to fish, quality and size of fish are not there, I feel this place is now doomed unless many many tourists keep going, I used to fish here a lot but now it is way to expensive plus as I have mentioned just not good enough to want to pay 1500 bht.

Edited by kenny999

Yes I would pay if the redtail dies. They clearly state and even ask you to sign a form before you fish to stick to the rules. The rules state that any fish dies that is the fishermans fault you will compensate the fishing park 1,000b per kilo.

I do not know the cost to run the fishing park but the price needs to be set so that people can afford to fish. No doubt the owner has to make a set revenue per month to breakeven so if he makes that via 10 anglers paying 1,500b or 25 anglers paying 600b what is the difference? They just need to charge something which justifies the fishing. I think the current cost is too expensive for that venue unless they can improve it. The best way to improve a fishing park for the angler is bigger fish.....

Or you can go too pilot 101 and fish for redtails 500bht per rod,

That's exactly why I did go to Kathu etc.

Funny though if red tails are 12,000. A fish shop in Phuket had baby arapaima for 2000 baht. Better filling them with those then?

It doesnt matter how much it costs. What matters is competing with other places of a similar standard and clearly Phukets fishing park doesnt warrant the price.

Charge all you want to cover the costs but you wont have enough customers and you'll fail anyway.

Or you can go too pilot 101 and fish for redtails 500bht per rod,

What and where is pilot 101? Can you provide some details?? Thanks

I think he means Pilot 111 its in Bangna. I fished there at the weekend and had a great time. (Once I learned the ropes).

The location is on my Google maps guide here:- Freshwater Fishing spots in Thailand (note that its been recently updated with a few more spots and new info)

It costs THB 500 per person per day, has 8 ponds, some dedicated to 3 ponds for Giant Snakeheads, 1 for Striped Snakeheads, 2 for Barramundi, and 1 for Redtail Catfish, and one stock pond which is not used for fishing.

Nice little restaurant there too.

Edited by quiksilva

• 4 weeks later...

So is the new owner Thai or foreign?

What happened to the French owner before? Has he left Phuket? He first told me he was wanting to sell the place about 2 years ago.

Met a man today who fished Phuket fishing park recently, Australian owner and the fishing appears too be very good, cost of fishing was 1000bht might have a drive up there and have a look and see if anything has changed.

What happened to the French owner before? Has he left Phuket? He first told me he was wanting to sell the place about 2 years ago.

Met a man today who fished Phuket fishing park recently, Australian owner and the fishing appears too be very good, cost of fishing was 1000bht might have a drive up there and have a look and see if anything has changed.

But I have too say that with places like BSR and Cha Am charging a fraction of what Phuket fishing park charge it is almost worth making the trip to these 2 fantastic places, Tourist Island equals big charges!!!!

But I have too say that with places like BSR and Cha Am charging a fraction of what Phuket fishing park charge it is almost worth making the trip to these 2 fantastic places, Tourist Island equals big charges!!!!

Kenny, Cha Am is cheap but in my experience (you probably been there more times then me) there are loads of small fish not many bigger ones. (saw your nice fish on that pic but those are more exception then rule ?)

I am probably going there again with my dad, not really for the fishing but because its on the way to krabi.

Kenny, Cha Am is cheap but in my experience (you probably been there more times then me) there are loads of small fish not many bigger ones. (saw your nice fish on that pic but those are more exception then rule ?)

I am probably going there again with my dad, not really for the fishing but because its on the way to krabi.

With the really good deals that come up on domestic flights you are definately better off flying to Bangkok for a week and experiencing the best fishing Thailand has at very reasonable prices.

You can stay in a nice hotel and get to all the venues with cheap Taxis unlike Phuket.

• 2 weeks later...

The point is that Phuket fishing park is just not good enough to warrent charging 1500 bht a day to fish, quality and size of fish are not there, I feel this place is now doomed unless many many tourists keep going, I used to fish here a lot but now it is way to expensive plus as I have mentioned just not good enough to want to pay 1500 bht.

The price for expats living in thailand and bringing their greencard with them, its still 1000 baht for fishing, tourists without the greencard will pay 1500 baht. better to ask first than make your own assumptions.

If you do not have the greencard, ask at the counter and they will provide you one free of charge!