Hilltribe Photo Opportunity

piet pompies

I am hosting a friend who is a serious amateur photographer. I thought he would enjoy photographing some of the hilltribes as well as some interesting scenery while hiking. Any suggestions? has anyone stayed at Lisu Lodge. He will be in Chiangmai for a week in November. Any good tour operator to take three of us would be appreciated.

Any ideas welcome and appreciated.

I am hosting a friend who is a serious amateur photographer. I thought he would enjoy photographing some of the hilltribes as well as some interesting scenery while hiking. Any suggestions? has anyone stayed at Lisu Lodge. He will be in Chiangmai for a week in November. Any good tour operator to take three of us would be appreciated.

The area around Lisu Lodge is good for trekking, lots of colourful Lisu villages, other hilltribe villages as well.

I assume your photographer friend wants to photograph colourfully dressed hilltribes, etc. I like the Trekker Lodge but the villages close by are not all that interesting, mostly Lahu, who rarely dress in traditional clothing except on very special occasions or for cultural performances. Some very remote Lahu villages, such as those northwest of Soppong in Mae Hong Son, still dress up a bit but not those in the vicinity of TL.

On the other hand Trekker Lodge is much closer to Chiang Mai than Lisu Lodge if that's an issue.

Other choices are Pai (Backtrax is a small, very good trekking company there) and the aforementioned Soppong. Both are in the part of Mae Hong Son's most culturally diverse districts, and MHS is the most diverse of the northern provinces.

The area around Lisu Lodge is good for trekking, lots of colourful Lisu villages, other hilltribe villages as well.

I assume your photographer friend wants to photograph colourfully dressed hilltribes, etc. I like the Trekker Lodge but the villages close by are not all that interesting, mostly Lahu, who rarely dress in traditional clothing except on very special occasions or for cultural performances. Some very remote Lahu villages, such as those northwest of Soppong in Mae Hong Son, still dress up a bit but not those in the vicinity of TL.

On the other hand Trekker Lodge is much closer to Chiang Mai than Lisu Lodge if that's an issue.

Other choices are Pai (Backtrax is a small, very good trekking company there) and the aforementioned Soppong. Both are in the part of Mae Hong Son's most culturally diverse districts, and MHS is the most diverse of the northern provinces.

Distances are no problem. Is it easier to get to Pai from MHS or from Chiangmai? Are there interesting things to see on the way from MHS to Pai?

Is Pai OK after the floods?

Pai is fine after the floods, I was just there last week. It's equidistant from Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son, about three hours drive from either starting point. If you're already in CM it makes sense to drive from here rather than hassle with a flight to MHS.

Interesting sights from either direction, eg, national parks, waterfalls, Shan and hilltribe villages.