What Size Reel For Bungsamran And Ocean Fishing

gray42

I want to use the same spinning reels when fishing in the ocean for king mackerel, barracuda, snapper as the reels that i'm going to use for large catfish in parks like Bungsamran. I am wondering what size of reel will work for both ocean and large freshwater fish. I am looking at the Shimano Thunnus CI4 reel in either the 8000 or 12000 size... http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Thunnus-CI%3Csup%3E4%3C/sup%3E-Saltwater-Spinning-Reels/product/10210060/-1743962 Will the 8000 size be large enough?

Question is does it have a bait runner, i have found that one of the desirable traits for fishing bungsamran. If not i would advise against buying it.

Sorry just read it again and saw it had a baitrunner on it. I would go for the biggest size available just because you can crank up the drag more. That is really needed for if the fish decides to go under the pier in BSR.

Neither the New Shimano baitrunners nor the new Thunnus are up to Mekong Catfish, that is, if you expect the reel to give you years of use as opposed to months. As with the old Thunnis (which had similar internals to Shimano Long Cast) the internals are unlikely suitable, although I am not sure what the "direct drive mechanism is, unless its simple cogs, it will go wrong very quickly. Getting very bad reports about the new baitrunner too.

Dont be fooled by the cost...look at the internals, (wormshaft mechanisms simply are not robust enough for Mekong Catfish fishing) and/or use tried and tested products. We are at a loss as to what we will use for Mekong Catfish on Bungsamran once stock of the old baitrunners runs out...Id stick with a old 6500 Baitrunner if you can find one, or go much more expensive and get Daiwa Saltega's or Shimano Stellas, niether of which have a baitrunner unfortunately.

Fishing in thailand converted me to multiplier reels, Few years ago i bought my first multiplier and cant imagine going back to a spinning reel,

Buy yourself a nice accurate BX400-500 and send your thumb to school :D

I've never heard the term "multiplier" reel, but I think it's the same as what we call a conventional reel here in the United States, right? I have quite a few conventional saltwater reels, but I was hoping to find a good spinning reel with a baitrunner feature that I could use. Sounds like maybe no spinning reel with a baitrunner except for maybe the old model Shimano Baitrunners are up to the task of Bungsamran? I could just get some more multiplier reels, but then I wouldn't have any heavy duty spinning reels.

I would only be fishing at a fishing park like Bungsamran on occasion. Not often at all. Do you think the Shimano Thunnus 12000 could handle a couple trips a year to a fishing park in Thailand?

Fishing in thailand converted me to multiplier reels, Few years ago i bought my first multiplier and cant imagine going back to a spinning reel,

See now you got me leaning towards getting a pair of new Avets or Accurates... :bah: :bah::huh: Sometimes fishing with a spinning reel is so much nicer, especially if you're not catching big fish that day. Using a heavy duty saltwater reel on smaller fish is boring, but obviously there's the chance something larger will bite......

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Edited by gray42

See now you got me leaning towards getting a pair of new Avets or Accurates... :bah: :bah::huh: Sometimes fishing with a spinning reel is so much nicer, especially if you're not catching big fish that day. Using a heavy duty saltwater reel on smaller fish is boring, but obviously there's the chance something larger will bite......

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I am converted to Accurate too.. but only for bungsamran. Other lakes like shadow lake i use my spinners. Its like this bungsamran has piers and so you have to bully the fish in. THat is done easier with a baitcaster reel then a spinning reel. But i own many rods and reels. Just one accurate though they are damm expensive. and in BSR you usually only need one rod.

I've never heard the term "multiplier" reel, but I think it's the same as what we call a conventional reel here in the United States, right? I have quite a few conventional saltwater reels, but I was hoping to find a good spinning reel with a baitrunner feature that I could use. Sounds like maybe no spinning reel with a baitrunner except for maybe the old model Shimano Baitrunners are up to the task of Bungsamran? I could just get some more multiplier reels, but then I wouldn't have any heavy duty spinning reels.

I would only be fishing at a fishing park like Bungsamran on occasion. Not often at all. Do you think the Shimano Thunnus 12000 could handle a couple trips a year to a fishing park in Thailand?

Yes its a conventional reel but i refure to the smaller more modern super reels which these days will do the same thing as an older but more massive conventional reel of yesteryear,

I feel quite sure it would have no problems at most fishing parks here but bungsamran is very extreme, Could be that is does,nt have enough drag to turn the fish when it tries to go under the pier or bungalow, When your stooped down with the rod between your legs grunting and groaning trying to stop the fish going under...if you dont have enough drag or the rod is,nt upto it you loose, For most fishing parks here it should suffice,

Ah anyway...burned out drag or a busted rod is,nt the end of the world :D suck it and see.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I guess now is the time to say that I actually won't be fishing Bungsamran, but TopCats on Koh Samui where I'll be living. I was using Bungsamran as an example since that seems to be a park everyone knows about. Do you guys have any experience with TopCats on Koh Samui? Should a 12000 size spinning reel be good for that park?

Edited by gray42

I guess now is the time to say that I actually won't be fishing Bungsamran, but TopCats on Koh Samui where I'll be living. I was using Bungsamran as an example since that seems to be a park everyone knows about. Do you guys have any experience with TopCats on Koh Samui? Should a 12000 size spinning reel be good for that park?

At Topcats that should be more than enough, especially spooled with 40lb mono. The lake is not large, and there are no snags at all. Their largest fish that I caught was a 75kg Mekong.

You'll catch a variety of fishes there, especially arapaima, alligator gar, red tails, siamese carp, mekong and the usual sawais.

The guides there are very friendly and good in what they do. The English boss is a little surly and quite friendly if you start a conversation with him.

Cheers.

At Topcats that should be more than enough, especially spooled with 40lb mono. The lake is not large, and there are no snags at all. Their largest fish that I caught was a 75kg Mekong.

You'll catch a variety of fishes there, especially arapaima, alligator gar, red tails, siamese carp, mekong and the usual sawais.

The guides there are very friendly and good in what they do. The English boss is a little surly and quite friendly if you start a conversation with him.

Cheers.

If there are no snags and its not bungsamran your equipment does not have to be that strong. The only reason bungsamran is special is not the size of the fish but the pier that you have to keep them away from. Maybe the fish are a bit stronger there because they have more depth there then in other fishing lakes but if your in a snag free lake a spinning reel like the shimano 6500 is more then enough. Also if the shimano 6500 is not available then try the pen 760L Liveliner.

Its cheaper and is supposed to be great for what we want. It was recommended to my by some dutch fishermen who use it for catfish or even blue sharks. Because it does not have a long spool the axel wont bent.

Just look into it (also you rufnuf)

Just another thought to throw into the mix, most 6500B's that are around are all getting quite old now, (mine are both >10 years old now) so if you have one, or buy one, you may want to look into upgrading the drag system. Especially if using high poundage braid, which is much stronger than what the reel was originally designed for.

The upgrade is quite cheap (500 Baht ish) and only takes 10-15 minutes, but its best to do it together with a complete clean and new grease, which takes an hour or so.

Personally, I much prefer spinning reels, buts that because I'm useless at casting with conventional / multiplier reels, especially those that have not been designed for casting, which will be much more susceptible to backlash.

Just another thought to throw into the mix, most 6500B's that are around are all getting quite old now, (mine are both >10 years old now) so if you have one, or buy one, you may want to look into upgrading the drag system. Especially if using high poundage braid, which is much stronger than what the reel was originally designed for.

The upgrade is quite cheap (500 Baht ish) and only takes 10-15 minutes, but its best to do it together with a complete clean and new grease, which takes an hour or so.

Personally, I much prefer spinning reels, buts that because I'm useless at casting with conventional / multiplier reels, especially those that have not been designed for casting, which will be much more susceptible to backlash.

I was like you b4, but now i am reformed. I like reels now.. but only for bungsamran. Their drags are superior. Other places you dont need that much power .

I was like you b4, but now i am reformed. I like reels now.. but only for bungsamran. Their drags are superior. Other places you dont need that much power .

I've always used conventional reels for big fish. Using spinning reels is going to be new for me :D I still plain to mainly use my conventional reels, but I want some good spinning reels as an alternative.

I much prefer casting reels. My usual weapon of choice is a Shimano Cardiff 200 and I am very happy with it (although obviously not suitable for BSR). I am also looking for a reasonably priced reel for sea fishing and maybe the odd Mekhong, any recommendations?

Yeah I think most people eventually migrate on to conventional reels, but the prospect of losing so much time due to birds nests, when I could be fishing.... well.... let's just say.. maybe later :)

Yeah I think most people eventually migrate on to conventional reels, but the prospect of losing so much time due to birds nests, when I could be fishing.... well.... let's just say.. maybe later :)

Sure it will take you more the a couple of days to get the hang of it. But after that you wont have that many birds nest and most are quite easy to solve. But to each his or her own. I was fishing BSR last night and had almost no real birds nests.

But i still like spinning a lot for the other waters like shadow lake and so on. I think its just a matter of selecting the right stuff for the right place. I fish with an 4.7ft rod at BSR while i fish with much longer rods at shadow lake. Of course if costs money to have different sets of equipment we all know that so for many of us it might not be the best way.

But i fish that much that i justify it for myself. I spend no time in bars so i save a lot :D :D

I learned how to cast a conventional reel that didn't have a magnetic cast control, so it took quite a while to learn, but lots of reels now have magnetic cast control which makes it very easy to cast without bird nests. just dial the cast control way up while you're learning and slowly work your way down until you get the hang of it. Everyone will birds nest every now and then... it's inevitable. But I have my spinning reels get twisted up every now and then also.

I learned how to cast a conventional reel that didn't have a magnetic cast control, so it took quite a while to learn, but lots of reels now have magnetic cast control which makes it very easy to cast without bird nests. just dial the cast control way up while you're learning and slowly work your way down until you get the hang of it. Everyone will birds nest every now and then... it's inevitable. But I have my spinning reels get twisted up every now and then also.

I got some kind of cast control on it but i back it off as much as possible because i want to cast great distances. But that does give me the occasional birds nest or the ball of lam exploding mid air. All in all i don't loose that much time. Most are quite easy to solve.

But my 2 rod with shimano 6500 does outcast my 140 meter rod with accurate reel. But for control and playing the fish and smooth brake the accurate is much better. But i think with a 2 meter rod i would cast just as far if not further. But i have opted for the ultra short rod because of the easy to play the fishes then when the come close to the pier.

A few days ago i started using shock lead but the knot was not that good so i fouled up many times. It was also night time so i had a lot of birds nests and exploding balls of lam. But i think with a better knot and day time i can cast it out just as well.

I have been using shock leaders for many years for saltwater uptide boat fishing in the UK and I have never had a problem with a properly tied and trimmed blood knot. More often than not a 6-12 Lb bs main line to a tapered 15-60 Lb tapered shock leader ( Daiwa ). Other than the knot catching a little weed from time to time I never had a problem casting and catching in the rod rings.

Blood Knot

I have been using shock leaders for many years for saltwater uptide boat fishing in the UK and I have never had a problem with a properly tied and trimmed blood knot. More often than not a 6-12 Lb bs main line to a tapered 15-60 Lb tapered shock leader ( Daiwa ). Other than the knot catching a little weed from time to time I never had a problem casting and catching in the rod rings.

Blood Knot

Are you working with spinning or casting reels ? With spinning reels i never had a problem either. Casting reels can work a bit different. I used the blood not too for connecting the two lines. Now i used the albright knot and it seems a bit smoother.

Casting reels/multipliers. I only recently bought a spinning reel, a Penn Liveliner 760L. My first spinning reel for 30+ years as I have used multipliers exclusively since the early 1970's.

I intend to get to grips with my old Accurate multiplier once I get new bearings in it. It is an old Boss 460 ( cant remember exact model number but a few years old now ) which suffers a common fault regarding bearings seizing in the earlier models. I am quite happy with my Abu 6500/7000 series multipliers and Daiwa SL50SH for casting and rarely suffer overruns/birds nests. Currently my biggest reels are a couple of 6/0 and 9/0 senators which are superb for wreck fishing for conger eels and a rather fancifull Fin Nor 30Lb class twin speed. I am currently looking for a reasonably powerful rod for Cat fishing that is suitable for travel purposes. The long Free Spirit Cat tamers would be ok had they been 4 piece. I understand that the Loomis stik that's around 4'9" is ideal for BSR due to the piers. Hoping to try out Dreamlake in Chiang Mai in a couple of months when I return to Thailand for a few days vacation/fishing.