Thai Tourism Industry Expected To Generate Bt600 Bln This Year

webfact

Tourism Industry Expected to Generate Bt600 Bln This Year

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is confident that the improvement of the local political situation will help push foreign tourist arrivals to reach the target of 17 million for the whole year. Achieving the targeted number of visitors would result in 600 billion baht in revenue for the country.

Tourism Authority of Thailand, or TAT, Governor Surapol Svetserani, said the tourism industry has made a remarkable recovery from last year's political crisis, and if there is no further political violence, the TAT is confident that Thailand will welcome up to 16.8 to 17 million foreign visitors this year, bringing at least 600 billion baht into the country.

He further said more foreign tourists, particularly from Asian countries like Japan, are visiting Thailand.

As for this rainy season, Surapol said the TAT plans to organize several activities to promote domestic tourism. He estimated domestic tourism will generate at least 430 to 450 billion baht in revenue this year.

Surapol added that risk factors like political instability and natural disasters may hurt foreign tourists' confidence. However, he is hoping that the upcoming general election will proceed smoothly, as it would help increase foreign confidence in Thailand.

The TAT governor today presided over a ceremony to present an award to Marco Sturio from Switzerland, who is the winner of the “Most Amazing Show on Earth,” an article and photo competition. The contest saw participants from all across the globe sharing their travel stories and unique and memorable experiences about Thailand in the form of photo essays. The winning entries can be seen on www.tourismthailand.org.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-17

footer_n.gif

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is confident that the improvement of the local political situation will help push foreign tourist arrivals to reach the target of 17 million for the whole year.

It's very comforting to know that the local political situation will be improved for the rest of the year -- for awhile I have been worrying about the potential for problems after the election. Thanks, TAT!

TAT: Japanese tourists returning to Thailand

BANGKOK, 18 June 2011 (NNT) – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has reported that the number of Japanese visitors in Thailand is rebounding while expecting the total number of foreign tourists this year to reach 15.5-16.8 million.

According to TAT Governor Surapol Svetasreni, 8.2 million foreigners have traveled to Thailand since January 2011, increasing by 24.36 percent from the same period last year. Visitors from disaster-stricken Japan have also started to return to the Kingdom with a 10 percent rise in their number during the first five months of this year.

The TAT anticipates as many as 15.5-16.8 million foreign tourists within Thailand throughout this year, generating about 600 billion THB of income. Domestic tourism is also expected to create a circulation of 430 billion THB.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-18 footer_n.gif

TAT is confident that Thailand will welcome up to 16.8 to 17 million foreign visitors this year, bringing at least 600 billion baht into the country

Which works out to an average spend of 36,000 baht per visitor. Which in turn, taking into account the average length of stay, means the average hasn't moved significantly in years. So much for luring the "high-quality tourists" in significant numbers. And given the strengthening of the baht against most foreign currencies, it may actually be a step backwards.

Around US$1000-1200 per head... Always make me wonder why the TAT always want more *high dollar* tourists, with 18 million of the *other type* rocking up they're not going to moving the average up.

Doesn't matter how much they spend per day, they will always spend more... if they stay LONGER!

Edited by PaulHamon

Possibly someone can tell me where all these tourists go.

In Chiang Mai over the past 5 years there has been a steady decline in the tourist trade irrespective of what the figures state. This is very evident to Thai and foreign business owners.

As for this rainy season, Surapol said the TAT plans to organize several activities to promote domestic tourism.

So what's he gonne do,count the victims that have to flee their flooded homes as tourists.

The political situation --well no one knows what will happen--it's IFF's-- TAT every month you come out with these predictions/expectations and ridiculous figures. HAVE you asked why Asians are arriving? and why Europeans are not.

One thing is NEW Asians are not aware of the rip offs here as they are mollycoddled in group tours and rarely see Thailand. The Europeans are now more aware of the rip offs - half that stay here on holidays get the message after their first visit, not many word of mouth recommendations, the others here are aware-speak about them but NO ONE from TAT does anything about it, and if they know and getting good money to promote, they fail to do their job.

How important is tourism to Thailand?

A rough percentage for example.. my friend says it's very small... but I'm unsure..

Between 6% and 8% of GDP, it depends how you calculate it.

As for this rainy season, Surapol said the TAT plans to organize several activities to promote domestic tourism.

So what's he gonne do,count the victims that have to flee their flooded homes as tourists.

The political situation --well no one knows what will happen--it's IFF's-- TAT every month you come out with these predictions/expectations and ridiculous figures. HAVE you asked why Asians are arriving? and why Europeans are not.

One thing is NEW Asians are not aware of the rip offs here as they are mollycoddled in group tours and rarely see Thailand. The Europeans are now more aware of the rip offs - half that stay here on holidays get the message after their first visit, not many word of mouth recommendations, the others here are aware-speak about them but NO ONE from TAT does anything about it, and if they know and getting good money to promote, they fail to do their job.

Maybe because it the NEW Asians who have the money and the Europeans are suffering because of recession?

Possibly someone can tell me where all these tourists go.

In Chiang Mai over the past 5 years there has been a steady decline in the tourist trade irrespective of what the figures state. This is very evident to Thai and foreign business owners.

Could be that the make up of the tourists are different i.e. tour groups rather than FIT's , thus spending patterns and habits are different.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is confident that the improvement of the local political situation will help push foreign tourist arrivals to reach the target of 17 million for the whole year.

It's very comforting to know that the local political situation will be improved for the rest of the year -- for awhile I have been worrying about the potential for problems after the election. Thanks, TAT!

clap2.gif

A rough percentage for example.. my friend says it's very small... but I'm unsure..

10% was the last said figure, it was in topic recent.

This figure is far too low, when you consider the different types of tourists you have. 10% that can be calculated,from spending in big shops large food outlets, tour transport booked etc.

On the other hand you have this vast hidden reliance of street venders -markets-longer stayers-I wouldn't be surprised if the figure weren't 20% when you take in other monies spent here, as there are tourists and visitors, and the tolerated :lol:

Edited by ginjag

What are the big contributors to GDP then? Just curious

agriculture: 11.6%

industry: 43.3%

services: 45.1%

As of Nov 2010

Tourism is part of services.

As of Nov 2010

Curious to know what else is part of services? Financial services?

As of Nov 2010

Try sex industry, people trafficking, drugs ...the black economy. :lol:

Nigeria and Thailand have the world's largest black economies, both accounting for more than 70% of official GDP

http://www.economist.com/node/324323

As of Nov 2010

Nigeria and Thailand have the world's largest black economies, both accounting for more than 70% of official GDP

Just for argument sake, a report written 12 years ago may not be as accurate today as when it was written. Also, a noticeable exception to the table is Indonesia, where I would wager the percentage is higher.

Notwithstanding the above, the sex industry is very much a part of the tourism industry. I would hazard a guess that tourism and related services would easily account for over 20% of GDP.

As of Nov 2010

[

Just for argument sake, a report written 12 years ago may not be as accurate today as when it was written. Also, a noticeable exception to the table is Indonesia, where I would wager the percentage is higher.

Notwithstanding the above, the sex industry is very much a part of the tourism industry. I would hazard a guess that tourism and related services would easily account for over 20% of GDP.

Black economies can never, by definition, be accurately defined. A person's guesstimate will depend upon their personal experiences. Walk around any street market, look at the stalls selling copied DVDs, copied designer label clothes and shoes, copied high end goods and gadgets. Add to this the grey economy, the state sponsored double pricing for tourists, from National parks to tuk tuks.