Nightlife Korat

stumpdog

Hi, will be visiting Korat next January, would appreciate any input on nighlife, hotels etc.

Many thanks,

SD.

your best bet would be the choapraya hotel as it it is near to the nightlife, although there is not a lot of clubs. thier is a place, mainly thai but none the less it is very good and has a few venues all together it is near another hotel called Sima Thani Hotel

if you plan a long stay a reasonable place is M in korat for a month long stay about 8000bht and you have a very good bar 'friends bar' run by a nice bloke named robert and you can meet a couple of expats that can give you some sound advice about what is going on

We've stayed at the Jalprayar hotel. The bed was very hard, the hardest i've ever slept on. :D

But it is in the central part of the town, almost opposite Ginza Plaza.

We've also stayed at the Korart hotel, which was a better room, imo. - Although we were woken up each morning by barking dogs. :o

Korart hotel also has an attached bar and disco.

The biggest shopping mall in Korart, called The Mall, has a bar either on the ground floor or the basement, i can't quite remember :D

It also has a beer garden, or at least had.

Edited by markt

very true about the beds a bloody nightmare

It was quite funny when we went to have a look at the Jalprayar hotel. They showed us a room on the first floor, which we liked. We paid for a couple of nights then returned an hour later with our bags.

But when we returned they checked us into a room on the third floor. :o

I asked the bell boy why they hadn't given us the room they first showd us, he said it had been taken.

After we'd settled into the room, we went down to the room on the first floor (the one they originally showed us) and the maid was cleaning it. So we asked her if it was occupied? - No, it was empty she said. :D

very true about the beds a bloody nightmare

It was quite funny when we went to have a look at the Jalprayar hotel. They showed us a room on the first floor, which we liked. We paid for a couple of nights then returned an hour later with our bags.

But when we returned they checked us into a room on the third floor. :o

I asked the bell boy why they hadn't given us the room they first showd us, he said it had been taken.

After we'd settled into the room, we went down to the room on the first floor (the one they originally showed us) and the maid was cleaning it. So we asked her if it was occupied? - No, it was empty she said. :D

:D TIT that we all know and love

we spent one night in the hotel, woke up feeling cr+p and booked out. then back to the sima tani

The last time we were in Korat several months back we stayed at the Sri Pattana. During the Vietnam War days it was right in the middle of the nite life area but now not much going on although there are a few restaurants down the street from the hotel where a number of the expat community seem to hang out. I was told the VFW has their meetings above the Pasinee Restaurant and a place called Jack's a little further down was ok but dont know if it's still open. The food at Pasinee was pretty good.

Korat?

stickmanbangkok.com wrote an excellent scathing article back in July about the place. Read it.

I went there for a long (too long!) weekend accompanying holidaying friends who wanted to see the "real Thailand". In a word BORING. There is a monument to a local heroine (Suranaree) (5mins) and a pottery village a few klicks out (nothing much). Appears to be mainly an administrative centre although there are a large number of new factories in the surrounding area and not being curious I don't know or care what they were producing

Anyway there are a large number of hotels in the central area, some best avoided, some probably OK for a night. I have a city map in front of me and have given up counting the hotels. Anyway Ratchaphruk Grand is pretty centrally located and is of a high standard about 1500/night and is the one I would recoomend if only because I sayed there and didn't have to pay. I have heard Sri Pattana recommended -looks OK from the outside. Sima Thani, Royal Princess and Galley White also apparently good to very good but not central (I've only seen the Simi).

If you mean Bangkok style nightlife forget it. There are pick up bars but they appear geared to Thais and Japanese.

There are discos of the Thai variety and I can recommend a large one located opposite The Khorat hotel. The singers were very good and a good sized lively crowd of mainly younger more affluent locals. Mostly drunk but happy.

Western Restaurants. Two that we found. One run by a Swiss, excellent but expensive & not easy to find, and a very excellent Mexican (central). Otherwise as else mentioned there is the small Pasinee (Lebanese/norwegian) (which stickmanbangkok says is the only redeeming feature of Korat) and a couple of others along the same bit of road. Seem to be monopolised by english teachers and ageing american veterans who got stoned, forgot to go home, married a local woman who they now can't stand the sight of, so spend their days nursing a glass of tiger beer..

The Mall (smart shopping complex) had the usual pizza parlour, MacDonalds and a sizzler steakhouse. 2 bars on the lower ground floor opposite each other. One had an outside patio area. I wouldn't call it a garden. Problem overloud live music. The two bars appeared to be trying to drown out the competition. Good for a couple of overpriced beers but not for an evening out. There are two other department stores both called Klang

Otherwise a large number of bars but catering to Thais.

Getting around. No taxis. Plenty tuk tuks but central area got very busy and air , to me, was polluted. Plenty of mini-buses but no route maps so unless you have a local companion not much use.

Exception Ratchaphruk had taxis (not metered) and 10-12 seat minibuse. Cost for minibus with driver 1500/day plus gas -go anywhere. I thought good value but then I didn't pay.

To be fair it doesn't purport to be a tourist destination and I got the impression of a thriving, happy, population. We weren't accosted, touted, or cheated once. I saw no begging.

Next time we'll try the Jomsurang hotel.

By the way, does anyone know if The Mall still has the beer garden?

:o

Yes , the two bars on the ground floor of the mall are still there . It is still very noisy but not a bad place to sip a few beers and listen to Thai live music .

To the OP , I started a thread similer to yours about a year ago , look back in the Isaan forum pages and you will find alot of good replies .

............... Seem to be monopolised by english teachers and ageing american veterans who got stoned, forgot to go home, married a local woman who they now can't stand the sight of, so spend their days nursing a glass of tiger beer.........

Hey. I resent (or is that resemble) that remark. :o

keg_pounding_sm_clr.gif

While Korat may never appear in TAT's "Unseen Thailand" promotions it is a very pleasant place to live. Big enough to have what you need; small enough to feel friendly and relaxed. And, compared to the more touristy locations it is quite inexpensive. One can live a very nice life here on surprisingly little money.

And, if you need some big city excitement, Surin is only a couple of hours away....

Hi, will be visiting Korat next January, would appreciate any input on nighlife, hotels etc.

Many thanks,

SD.

Will be visiting Korat next week, alone. Been there once before. Stayed at the Chaophya hotel. Decent, clean and safe. Best of all, it's cheap Baht 480/night. It has an active bar/Karaoke joint on the ground floor (if that's your kind of thing) and a restaurant with live Thai music across the driveway.

Exit the hotel turn right and walk about 1 km is a western-style open-air bar/beer garden which plays fairly good Country & Western music. Cannot remember the name of the bar (either Texas, or Dallas). Lots of goodlooking waitresses, mostly University undergraduates.

Turn left of the hotel 1/2 km away is a nightclub/disco (Galaxy?). Loud music, younger crowd, interesting people.

Lots of streetwalkers outside the hotel till late at night.

January is the perfect time for Korat weather-wise. Cool.

Cheers!

Buadhai,

I have no doubt Korat is a very pleasant place to live. Relaxed, friendly and although it may be one of Thailands largest cities (I ain't going to get into the argument of whether its 2nd or 5th or whatever) it is not imposing. I rather liked it.

But it ain't a tourist destination and thats the point I tried to get across and I bet most expat residents prefer it that way.

When I finally decide where to settle down permanently it won't be Phuket or Pattaya - god forbid - OK for a short break. In fact Korat is on my shortlist.

Surin, you say. I went there once. Didn't see too many people. Now I know, probably sleeping off the hedonist, drunken excesses of the previous night. It's difficult to think of how best to describe the level of intoxicating vibrancy and dynamism of the place....anyway that's insulted the Surin residents so not a bad days work.

before my house was ready,I spend a lot of time at Sima Thani.

Easy to find on the outskirts of Korat city ( mainroad to Bkk)

Limited English,but friendly staff

Reasonable good buffet

Reasonable prices ( from about 900-2500 baht for resp. room / suite)

Simple furnished

Damaged interior (wall paper),carpet

Very limited TV access

Most of the time ,I always enjoyed my stays (from a couple of days till a couple of weeks)

• 2 weeks later...