Work permits necessary for volunteers?

Does someone working as a volunteer for an NGO need a work permit to do so? Some friends of mine have non-O visas sponsored by a local NGO but they have no work permits. I thought Thai law required work permits for all work in Thailand, whether paid or not. They say NGO vols don't need work permits.

I'm wondering what are the facts of the situation?

NGO work is work, and are interpreted as work, and requires a work permit.

The Thai law defines "work" as:

" to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit"

If it's a United Nations or Thai Goverment sponsored organization, foreigners might not need a work permit.

So your friends appears to work illegal.

Thanks, Fester, that's pretty much what I thought. Come to think of it, very few of the NGOers I know seem to have work permits. With Thaksin's current NGO-phobic stance, I'd think most vols without work permits would be rushing to correct their vulnerability.

The only exceptions are (according to the quite clear law, http://www.doe.go.th/workpermit/aliens_act.htm ):

--- snip --

Section 4. This Act does not apply to the performance of a specific duty by aliens in the Kingdom in the following capacities:

(1) as members of a diplomatic mission;

(2) as members of a consular mission;

(3) as representatives of member countries and officials of the United Nations Organization and its specialized agencies;

(4) as personal servants coming from foreign countries to work regularly for persons in (1),(2) or (3);

(5) as persons who perform duty or mission under an agreement concluded between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government of international organization;

(6) as persons who perform duty or mission for the benefit of education, culture, art, sport of other activities as may be prescribed by the Royal Decree;

(7) as persons permitted by the Government of Thailand to enter and perform any duty or mission.

--- snip ---

A follow up question on Non Thai Government / U.N.backed registration procedures.

What government Dept.would a E.U based and registered charity organisation who wished to expand their community works/welfare operations (voluntary) to Thailand actually seek permission to and register with.

I have a friend who has his own NGO and gets small E.U/U.S/Aust. funding designated for oversea suistainability programmes.(secular)and is......

Also:

Another guy I know wants to join a Buddist Monistery and study religion.

Can he apply for a Missionary Visa?

I seem to remember reading something a long time ago about...

::o:

• 2 weeks later...

It would be fantastic to either obtain a list or create a list of all NGO's in Thailand.  Incredibly useful.  Perhaps those that are international, those that are local, and those that are Thai.

Where do we start?  Which Ministry deals with NGO's.

Not all will have websites.  If there is a Governmental website, the other thing is, will the information be in English or Thai.

Cheers

Thank you for the reply.

I did'nt consider a Google/Yahoo web search as I searched the list of Governmental websites, in fact what I envisage is that every charity has to register itself in Thailand, I would think same in the rest of the world.  Where/who do they register with, and is that database available.

I've found a couple of lists, however it would make sense to

goto the root of the tree, as opposed to a branch.

Thanks  :o

That's very kind, thank you ::o: We'll have to see how it goes.

This list is the best i've found.  The only issue I have with it, is that it does'nt list the big international organisations.

http://www.piatom.com/ngo.html

And there's this, web portal for Thai NGO's

http://www.thaingo.org/eng/

NGO Regulation in east and southeast Asia: a comparitive perspective

http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/ngo.html

You know, it;'s interesting, everytime I think i've mapped Thailand on the web, I come across 20 new websites and organisations that I had no idea existed, strange, but also refreshing.  I'll post some URL's with a new topic.

Cheers

Always in the most obvious places..

Work permit for charity workers

Foreign volunteer workers with non-profit organizations should have work permits even if they are not paid for the work they do.

Foreigners have to a have work permit for any work they do. It’s not difficult; just have the non-profit organization apply with a document stating that you have joined them as a volunteer.

Foreign volunteers should have work permits because they may become involved with officials.

For example, if you need to report to the police that your wallet was stolen while you were doing volunteer work, the officers may ask [what you were doing when the theft took place]. They may then ask to see your work permit.

::o:

When I suggested "Always in the most obvious places"..

Work permit for charity workers

Foreign volunteer workers with non-profit organizations should have work permits even if they are not paid for the work they do....etc

I was ref. to....

http://www.thaivisa.com/462.0.html

Case of eyes wide shut. :cool:

rup bpea tahn la song met deum nahm bpai doo ay...