Need Good School @ Cr For Akha Child

Nonja

I recently met a small Akha person who would benefit from schooling. I am prepared to sponsor this young person, who has some family problems. He needs kindergarten/primary day-school, as he should ideally live with his mother. I would prefer that he not go to a religious/missionary school, if possible. (The mother is a devout convert to Christianity but when I went with her to the church involved last week I was not impressed.) I then sent an email to what I thought was the best option as a school here in CR, but I have had no response. I am trying again, obliquely. What I want to know is, are Akha kids unwelcome in Thai schools? Yes, there could be several reasons why I have had no response. The administrator might not not speak English is one possible reason. I phrased the email very simply, and as they advertise they have an English program, this does not look good: if the admin could not respond in English, they could have consuted with their English Department (there are several farangs employed). So, first up, I am looking at an admin that does not speak English, and/or cannot respond within a reasonable time-frame (inefficiency) or does not have the initiative to get one of their farang teachers to handle the query. Worrisome. Maybe the schools are on holidays? Maybe Akha kids are not welcome? Perhaps I am an elephant in a china shop: maybe the small child shouldn't be here in Thailand at all. It is hard to know. The child is the son of a friend's household staff, and his mother speaks no English. Perhaps the lack of response is the Thai way of saying, leave the whole thing alone.

Any suggestions, please?

Summary: Small child, mother illiterate, but she has a secure job and accommodation in CR for the time being. And it is GOOD accommodation. But, for various reasons which I won't go into, this is the end of the road for them both. If she cannot settle down happily here, there are no options other than Bangkok, so to speak. And no future at all for the child.

I really don't know what to do, and would appreciate your advice, please. So, I am looking for an Akha-friendly pre-school/primary school in the first place. The mother cannot return to her village, for reasons I will not discuss due to privacy concerns. They are both intelligent and attractive and delightful young people: the mother is scarcely out of her teens.

Thank you, if you have any suggestions to make. I would appreciate your advice.

Concerning the e-mail thing, I find that is the usual here. Getting a reply from any type of business is almost impossible. Forget the e-mail thing and go have a face to face meeting.

I know of a school that takes children such as the one you speak of but they may be overwhelmed right now. Not sure. If you don't get some good leads, PM me and I will pick you up and we will go see the folks I am thinking of. I have no idea if the school is accredited or not but they teach and the kid will be with others that share some of the same experiences.

Also, consider homeschooling if you have someone really sharp who can do it. Math, science, history and all else they teach here is great but if the kid gets the right homeschooling, with some "life" mentoring, he/she can be years ahead of other students in some other areas that count.

Kandahar, you are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you. You are quite right: I have had no luck with emails to ANY Thai business. I thought it was just me. I learn something every day. I will keep you informed as to progress. Thank you once again.

The best school for hill-tribe kids (in ChiangRai at least, and perhaps in the whole country),

is Sahasat Suksa on MaeFahLunag Road, Nam Lat, Amphoe Muang, ChiangRai 57100

It's Christian, and although I'm not, I send 2 kids there. One has some challenges,

but they deal well with that.

The best school for hill-tribe kids (in ChiangRai at least, and perhaps in the whole country),

It's Christian, and although I'm not, I send 2 kids there. One has some challenges,

Thank you very much for that information: the location is very good for this family. I will keep you informed as to progress. Thank you once again.

Does the Mother and Child have a Thai ID Card ?

What village are they from ?

There are many schools all over the place for all , generally the Akha keep their kids in schools close to the home.

Why dont you speak to the village boss she comes from or the Akha foundation ?

Thank you both for that information. We are settling a few health issues at the moment but will take on board your advice ASAP. It is much appreciated. There are a few family problems to deal with so I am afraid the Village and the Headman are not an option. Thank you once again.

Dorms (Haw Pak) are usually full. Best to apply as much beforehand as possible,

although it seems over a year before can't be done.

There are lots of orphanages that accept kids with still living parents -

which might be worth looking into.

A friend of mine runs Love Home, also in Nam Lad, and for hilltribe kids

(most of whom attend Sahasat Suksa).

he had a website, but I haven't checked that in a while.

his English is not good...

there are so many orphanages an "urban legend" has sprung up about them selling organs!

I would have thought that the school at nam lat is the o ly real option although not sure.But maybe they will not take a child who is not registered in a home book in the area. May not apply to this school but does for main stream schools.Good luck.

Thank you both for these contributions. It is an important issue. I am sure all this information will be of use to others. I will summarise all the suggestions, and eventually do a report, just in case someone else wants to sponsor a child also. Hopefuly, I'll get to go and see each and every one of the various places which have been recommended. That would be the best way to do a report. It may take me a little time. I'm thinking at the moment , what with the child's health issues and his mother's family estrangement issues (Domestic Violence to an unimaginable extent, including the death of his sibling), that I must be very careful about emerging above the firing line and must do nothing which might endanger them. I think I need to lie low for a while, and just think very carefully about what is the best for them both. I am new to this and somewhat out of my depth.

I just need to clarify:

An Akha child, who might, or might not, have official paperwork, even if a farang pays all costs, can still not be educated in Thailand without the appropriate paperwork? Even at an expensive private school? Goodness.

I had presumed (stupidly, of course) that if I paid all the fees a school would take the child without asking too many questions. I am going to have to be very careful here. I'm not too sure about the appropriate paperwork.

Alack, alas. I will keep you informed.

Most of the hill tribes are well set up already with funding from various charities from around the world.

Coming to Thailand and seeing how they live is a big culture shock for many and want to help where they can , however , most things are in place for them already or they know where to go .

As for the Akha people along with Lisu , Lahu and all the others, theres about 90 different

ethnic tribes throughout Thailand , most dont get any help at all from the governments here

unless of course they have the Thai ID card or papers. Hospital care, schooling etc is not possible , yet in the villages they have set up their own schools and clinics or know where to go for aid.

Travel is strictly out of the question also , as to be caught in town without an ID card will

result in a fine and possible deportation .

We as foreigners see the problems but as foreigners we have no say , its not our business . We would react as many countries do with the influx of foreigners entering your own countries without papers ,

America/Mexico , Europe /Western Bloc etc etc .

If we were caught living here without papers etc etc we would be deported , thankfully the Thais allow the tribes to stay as long as they do not depend on the state. I think even though we feel there are many

poor people here, I would say personally that in this country they are far better off than

those of Africa and India etc . My advice is if you want to help , do so , but beware of being scammed.

Most of the hill tribes are well set up already with funding from various charities from around the world.

Coming to Thailand and seeing how they live is a big culture shock for many and want to help where they can , however , most things are in place for them already or they know where to go .

As for the Akha people along with Lisu , Lahu and all the others, theres about 90 different

ethnic tribes throughout Thailand , most dont get any help at all from the governments here

unless of course they have the Thai ID card or papers. Hospital care, schooling etc is not possible , yet in the villages they have set up their own schools and clinics or know where to go for aid.

Travel is strictly out of the question also , as to be caught in town without an ID card will

We as foreigners see the problems but as foreigners we have no say , its not our business . We would react as many countries do with the influx of foreigners entering your own countries without papers ,

If we were caught living here without papers etc etc we would be deported , thankfully the Thais allow the tribes to stay as long as they do not depend on the state. I think even though we feel there are many

poor people here, I would say personally that in this country they are far better off than

those of Africa and India etc . My advice is if you want to help , do so , but beware of being scammed.

[/qu

???????

90???!!! You must be referring to the sub-categories as there are only seven wich are Karen, Lahu, Hmong, Lisu, Akha, Mien, and Padaung.

Thank you all for your comments. I do appreciate them all. As I said, I am new here and know nothing. I am keen to learn.

I am not concerned about being scammed, although I am well aware that it is a possibility. In this case, I have not been asked for help: I have seen the mother and young son in trouble, and offered help. She can't even ask for help, as she doesn't speak English and only speaks a tiny bit of Thai. And if my help doesn't work, that will be my problem, and not because I have been scammed. Hey, maybe I can't help them: but I tried. And at the very least, they will know they had a friend, sometime, somewhere.

Just as an aside, I grew up in Papua New Guinea, and have lived in a lot of places, so I am not fresh out of the suburbs. I have seen a thing or two. I am not horrified, but practical.

I know there are many missionary and religious and aid organisations and NGOS here. And that there is also the traditional back-up of the village and the headman.

Sometimes we think that, because there are all these organisations in place, there should be no problem.

Sometimes people fall through the cracks.

In this case, due to certain problems relating to domestic violence, many of those supports fall away. In this case, we cannot fall back on the Catholic Church, for example, due to its teachings which state that marriage cannot be dissolved. We must remain in hiding due to violence. One child dead already. No protection from the state, whether we are legal or illegal. No way to go back to the village.

I am still thinking. Thank you all for your supports and contributions.

90???!!! You must be referring to the sub-categories as there are only seven wich are Karen, Lahu, Hmong, Lisu, Akha, Mien, and Padaung.

Here are the top 40 :

Akha

Bru

Cham

Chinese (primarily Chaozhou and Hakka)

Chong

Hmong

Karen

Khmer

Khmu

Kuy

Lahu

Lanna (Northern Thai)

Lao

Lawa

Lisu

Lolo (Yi)

Lü (Tai Lü)

Lua

Malay

Mani (Negrito)

Mlabri

Moken

Mon

Nyahkur (Nyah Kur, Chao-bon)

Palaung (De'ang)

Pear

Phai

Phu Thai

Phuan

Saek

Sa'och

Shan

So

Southern Thai

Tai Dam (Black Tai)

Tai Nüa

Thai

Urak Lawoi

Vietnamese

Yao/Iu Mien

On top of this you have the break off sub-sections , I will do my best to find the sub-section

tribes .

Here are the top 40 :

Akha

Bru

Cham

Chinese (primarily Chaozhou and Hakka)

Chong

Hmong

Karen

Khmer

Khmu

Kuy

Lahu

Lanna (Northern Thai)

Lao

Lawa

Lisu

Lolo (Yi)

Lü (Tai Lü)

Lua

Malay

Mani (Negrito)

Mlabri

Moken

Mon

Nyahkur (Nyah Kur, Chao-bon)

Palaung (De'ang)

Pear

Phai

Phu Thai

Phuan

Saek

Sa'och

Shan

So

Southern Thai

Tai Dam (Black Tai)

Tai Nüa

Thai

Urak Lawoi

Vietnamese

Yao/Iu Mien

On top of this you have the break off sub-sections , I will do my best to find the sub-section

tribes .

:wai: Thank you kind sir although an ethnic group isn't really the same as a hill-tribe and the maximum is around 40 by all accounts. Lets look at No4 in your Top 40 which is the Chinese who are the major ethnic minority (14%), they need Government help to polish their gold and wash their BMW's do they? ;)

Edited by skybluestu

"the top 40" :

Top in what way? Many I've not heard of; others which I have heard of (well, one, the Suay), aren't there.

Southern Thai? Thai?

Padaung isn't there - perhaps as they're a sub-set of Karen (who are no more of a tribe than the Kachin)?

Wa isn't there - I've met Wa here (not many)... the 'related' Lawa are there, but...

well, it's tough enumerating tribes (anywhere), but I'm wondering how (and why) this list was drawn up.

merely curious, is all...

"the top 40" :

Top in what way? Many I've not heard of; others which I have heard of (well, one, the Suay), aren't there.

Southern Thai? Thai?

Padaung isn't there - perhaps as they're a sub-set of Karen (who are no more of a tribe than the Kachin)?

Wa isn't there - I've met Wa here (not many)... the 'related' Lawa are there, but...

well, it's tough enumerating tribes (anywhere), but I'm wondering how (and why) this list was drawn up.

If you look up ethnic tribes of

Thailand in wikipedia they list the top 40 tribes, all the others are sub-tribes, break off

sections of the main. As for the comments from SBS, I suggest maybe you take a field trip one

day in to the mountains , Doi Mae Salong, Doi Tung , Doi Wa Wee and take a look at the poor Chinese

tribes living there, many are poorer than some Akha people who have had many donations. Most

help for the Chinese tribes here comes from donations from Taiwan.

"the top 40" :

Southern Thai? Thai?

Thailand in wikipedia they list the top 40 tribes, all the others are sub-tribes, break off

sections of the main. As for the comments from SBS, I suggest maybe you take a field trip one

day in to the mountains , Doi Mae Salong, Doi Tung , Doi Wa Wee and take a look at the poor Chinese

tribes living there, many are poorer than some Akha people who have had many donations. Most

The list of 40 you copied and pasted from Wikipedia aren't the 'top 40' ethnic tribes, they are the 40 ethnic GROUPS that make up the whole population of Thailand (#37 is Thai!) and should not be confused with hill-tribes. Hill-Tribe is a term used to describe various tribal people who migrated from China & Tibet to Thailand over the last few centuries which is why, despite all originating from China, groups such as Chinese, Hmong, Akha, Lahu andYao/Mien are listed separately in your top 40. So the 'Chinese tribes that are poorer than some Akha people' comment is a bit odd as Akha are a Chinese tribe.

But, as usual, Jubby is right and this has nowt to do with the original topic so I'll bid you good day sir ;)

ps...I've been to the Doi's you mentioned a fair few times.

"the top 40" :

Southern Thai? Thai?

The list of 40 you copied and pasted from Wikipedia aren't the 'top 40' ethnic tribes, they are the 40 ethnic GROUPS that make up the whole population of Thailand (#37 is Thai!) and should not be confused with hill-tribes. Hill-Tribe is a term used to describe various tribal people who migrated from China & Tibet to Thailand over the last few centuries which is why, despite all originating from China, groups such as Chinese, Hmong, Akha, Lahu andYao/Mien are listed separately in your top 40. So the 'Chinese tribes that are poorer than some Akha people' comment is a bit odd as Akha are a Chinese tribe.

But, as usual, Jubby is right and this has nowt to do with the original topic so I'll bid you good day sir ;)

pps...The help for the chinese tribes from Taiwan that you refer to would exclusively be for the Kuomintang at Doi Mae Salong wouldn't it? The KMT are not a Hill-Tribe!

"the top 40" :

Southern Thai? Thai?

pps...The help for the chinese tribes from Taiwan that you refer to would exclusively be for the Kuomintang at Doi Mae Salong wouldn't it? The KMT are not a Hill-Tribe!

I was under the impression that the hill tribe people originate from Burma (Myanmar) , China , Laos,

Vietnam , Cambodia etc but mostly from China. The hill tribe people who get the donations from

Taiwan - I was refering to the Chinese hill tribes from Doi Wa Wee, I will inquire about what group they are from .

Yes , the information on Groups of Ethnics in Thailand are about 40 and not just hill tribe.

anyway , its information we are now all aware of.

Thank you very much for that information: the location is very good for this family. I will keep you informed as to progress. Thank you once again.

There is an Aka organization in Chiang Rai run by a half thai/ half aussie girl that is non religious. While I don't think they could house this child she knows most of the schools and if you want to email her she will be glad to give you some suggestions. The web site is: http://ayui.org/

Could be she might consider herself a bit old to be referred to as a "girl"...

I wouldn't worry about her feeling that, she seems from the website to be a person who has really done her best for a group of kids. The websitw is impressive and I would like to visit there sometime to see if I can revise my dislike of NGOs.

"the top 40" :

Southern Thai? Thai?

Please excuse the spelling but I got the information about the Chinese tribe in Doi Wa Wee, they are called

GING HAW , they said they dont know the English spelling of the name but when they told me that was

how it was pronounced , I hope that helps.

I am sure that there are many tribes in the mountains that we have never known about but making

inquiries and knowing a little bit helps rather than to just presume there are only a few tribes

even if they are not from the mountains .