Oh My! Another Visa Question.

SeeJo

Just when I get confident that I am up on the Visa situation, I slip over into another situation where I don't know how to proceed.

My current "Retirement Extension" shows my "Permission to Stay" is to October 31st. But I have a situation that may require surgery when I soon leave for the U. S. A., which might mean that I may not be back before this date so as to apply and get another 12 month Retirement Extension. At one time, Americans were given automatic "Visas on Arrival" good for 60 days, renewable for another 30. So my question is; is this VOA still available, at least in some variation, that will allow me to apply for a Retirement Extension within the last 30 days of it?

All helpful info and advice will be appreciated.

No, you will only get a 30 day stamp on arrival. It is not a visa. You can do a change of visa status in Thailand to an O if you are qualified for a new retirement extension. It is unclear whether immigration currently enforces the requirement that you have 21 days left on your current permission of stay to do the change of status though. It would be safer to reenter on a tourist visa or even a single entry O if you can get one.

Not all immigration offices will do change of visa status. You'll have to ask yours. If not you can do that part in Bangkok and then the extension locally. Or you can go to Laos to get a single entry O.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

The 30 day stamp you refer to, what is it if not a "visa"? I thought all "permissions" are some form of "tourist" visa, be it 39, 60 90 days or one year of 5 years. Is is just a simple "permission to stay", only saying that on the stamp? Apparently there is much I still do not know about these things. Wouild they require proof of a ticket back out of Thailand, and when, on these 30 day stamps?

The 30 day stamp you refer to, what is it if not a "visa"? I thought all "permissions" are some form of "tourist" visa, be it 39, 60 90 days or one year of 5 years. Is is just a simple "permission to stay", only saying that on the stamp? Apparently there is much I still do not know about these things. Wouild they require proof of a ticket back out of Thailand, and when, on these 30 day stamps?

Without a visa or ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, the airline might refuse you to board.

No, the 30 day stamp is NOT a visa.

PoorSucker is correct. You will need some kind of visa (such as tourist) or at least an air ticket out of Thailand to anywhere leaving within 30 days of arrival to be assured being boarded at a US airport. That assumes the airlines are doing their jobs correctly. A tourist visa is for a 60 day stay; apply in the USA for that.

Edited by Jingthing

A lot of typos there, but I hope you understand what I mean.

Is there no way to get a 60 or other day tourist visa on arrival these days? ...and if so would that let me apply for the one year Retirement Extension in the last 21 days of it?

Or would I have to go back to a Non-Imm "o" to get back in (I can get one in the States), and then go back again for the Retirement Extension at the end of that?

No. There is no 60 day visa on arrival for you.

It sounds like you really want there to be a 60 day visa on arrival for you. Well, there isn't, so you're going to have to deal with actual options you do have, and there are many.

I already detailed in my original post here different ways you can start over in the system.

The cleanest, if you can get it, is to apply for a single entry O visa at a friendly Thai consulate in the USA. Or other ways as detailed before. I suggest at least get a tourist visa before boarding, then do a change of visa status in Thailand, then the next step, the extension.

A USA consulate may be more liberal to you based on your history there (giving you a single O based on continuing your retirement). I doubt you want to bother with an O-A application at DC or LA.

Edited by Jingthing

Best route is to get a Non Imm O visa while in the US.( 90 days) then apply for the one year ext when here, Not sure if the automatic 30 day, or the US obtained 60 day tourist (30 day extention) will work?:jap:

If a "tourist visa" will get me back in without showing a ticket out in 30 days, how do I get one and where? What exactly do I ask for?

The nearest Thai Imm. office to me is is Mai Sai.

Although I have been here over 7 years, I have not learned much about visas because I always just used a Multiple Entry Non-Imm."O" which I could get fairly close to my home in the States.

Thanks for your help.................

If a "tourist visa" will get me back in without showing a ticket out in 30 days, how do I get one and where? What exactly do I ask for?

Although I have been here over 7 years, I have not learned much about visas because I always just used a Multiple Entry Non-Imm."O" which I could get fairly close to my home in the States.

The 30 day tourist visa is automatic for US citizens.:jap: You do not have to ask for anything.

Edited by scorpio1945

Best route is to get a Non Imm O visa while in the US.( 90 days) then apply for the one year ext when here, Not sure if the automatic 30 day, or the US obtained 60 day tourist (30 day extention) will work?:jap:

Change of visa status (30 day stamp or TR conversion to O for qualified retirement applicants) most definitely IS available in Thailand at some offices. Not sure about the OP's office but in case it isn't the conversion can be done in Bangkok. Some offices may enforce the at least 21 days left on current permission to stay rule to do the conversion, so that makes a 30 day stamp risky. You CANNOT do a retirement extension DIRECTLY from a 30 day stamp or TR, that's why you need the change of visa status if you don't already have an O.

Yes, agreed on the best route if he can get it.

The 30 day tourist visa is automatic for US citizens.:jap:

Not a visa, but yes you get an automatic 30 day permission to stay on air arrival. Not 60, and there is no way to apply for that at the airport either.

Tourist visas/O visas, go to the Thai consulate you usually use in the US.

You will be boarded with ANY kind of visa, so a tourist one obtained in the US will be fine.

Now you are saying you have never used retirement extensions and have always use multi-O's from the US? That's rather odd for a long term retiree here.

Edited by Jingthing

Tourist visas/O visas, go to the Thai consulate you usually use in the US.

You will be boarded with ANY kind of visa, so a tourist one obtained in the US will be fine.

Now you are saying you have never used retirement extensions and have always use multi-O's from the US? That's rather odd for a long term retiree here.

No, I did not say I have never used a Retirement Extention ( re-reading my posts will indicate that I have, though I was vague about it ). The last time I got a visa was at the tail end of my last Non-Imm. "O", and it was my first Retirement Extension (the one I am on now, which expires Oct 31st).

OK..... if I understand correctly;

* the 30 day VOA is no good for me because I would have to show a flight back out witin that 30 days - plus, the airline might not let me board..

* a "60 day Tourist Visa" (30 days extension) would work but I would have to get it in the U. S.to have in hand before coming back, and then convert to a Non-Imm."O" after getting back here (would have to do this in BKK - cannot do in Mae Sai). After that I could then go back to Retirement Extensions, (applying in the last 21 days of a Non-Imm. "O" gotten in the States.

* But the best thing would be to get a 90 day or one year Non-Imm "O" at my usual place in the States, then go back to the Retirement Extensions at the end of that.

Do I have it now, or do I still need correcting???

No, I did not say I have never used a Retirement Extention ( re-reading my posts will indicate that I have, though I was vague about it ). The last time I got a visa was at the tail end of my last Non-Imm. "O", and it was my first Retirement Extension (the one I am on now, which expires Oct 31st).

* the 30 day VOA is no good for me because I would have to show a flight back out witin that 30 days - plus, the airline might not let me board..

* a "60 day Tourist Visa" (30 days extension) would work but I would have to get it in the U. S.to have in hand before coming back, and then convert to a Non-Imm."O" after getting back here (would have to do this in BKK - cannot do in Mae Sai). After that I could then go back to Retirement Extensions, (applying in the last 21 days of a Non-Imm. "O" gotten in the States.

* But the best thing would be to get a 90 day or one year Non-Imm "O" at my usual place in the States, then go back to the Retirement Extensions at the end of that.

Some corrections.

1. You can be boarded with no visa and an air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival.

2. The 21 day rule you've got ass backwards. There is a rule sometimes enforced that you need to have AT LEAST 21 DAYS left on your current permission to stay to apply for a change of visa status in Thailand as part of a two step process with the retirement extension being the second step. You see that's a problem if arriving on a 30 day stamp, TIME PRESSURE to start the process at immigration (if they enforce the rule must then be done within 9 days of arrival). So that means on a 30 day stamp, if they enforce this, you must apply between 30 days out and 21 days out. After that, too late, it wouldn't be wise to wait for the very last day (21 days out).

There is no rule about applying 21 days BEFORE for an extension. For that, most offices accept applications from 30 days out to the last day.

3. Yes, arriving with a single entry O visa would be your most painless option. Especially in a case like yours where you know your local office won't do the change of visa status forcing you to do that in Bangkok.

Simple advice -- go for the single entry O from the US. You don't need a multi.

Edited by Jingthing

Some corrections.

1. You can be boarded with no visa and an air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival.

2. The 21 day rule you've got ass backwards. There is a rule sometimes enforced that you need to have AT LEAST 21 DAYS left on your current permission to stay to apply for a change of visa status in Thailand as part of a two step process with the retirement extension being the second step. You see that's a problem if arriving on a 30 day stamp, TIME PRESSURE to start the process at immigration (if they enforce the rule must then be done within 9 days of arrival). So that means on a 30 day stamp, if they enforce this, you must apply between 30 days out and 21 days out. After that, too late, it wouldn't be wise to wait for the very last day (21 days out).

There is no rule about applying 21 days BEFORE for an extension. For that, most offices accept applications from 30 days out to the last day.

3. Yes, arriving with a single entry O visa would be your most painless option. Especially in a case like yours where you know your local office won't do the change of visa status forcing you to do that in Bangkok.

Simple advice -- go for the single entry O from the US. You don't need a multi.

Thanks to Jingthing and others.

It appears Jingthing's best solution for me would be to get a Non-Imm. "O" in the States before coming, to be sure to have the surest usable vehicle for going back to using Retirement Extensions. This way if my surgery causes me to go past my current Retirement Extension expiration of Oct 31st, I will have what I need to apply again without "converting".

I have this question: Since I never reported in to Thai Immigration every 90 days while on Non-Imm. "O" for 7 years, and assume it is not required as I always understood, does one have to report in every 90 days if on a Retirement Extension?? (I have not done so on the RE I am on now).

Here seems to me to be a pretty good guide and attempt at presenting the convoluted, ever changing process of getting a one year "Retirement Extension", with the caveat that in Thailand nothing in the Visa process is consistent for long, and largely depends on the individual Imm. officer's interpretation and mood of the day. I would like your comments Jingthing (and any others), of this site: http://www.wpcoe.com/visa/ if you have time, before I recommend it to others.

Thanks to all.

On retirement extensions, yes, you are required to report every 90 days (if you haven't left Thailand). If you do leave Thailand, your reporting date is reset to start the day you arrive back; then report 90 days from that date. A general note, it really is worth learning the rules here, it can make things go smoother.

Although I advise a single entry O visa obtained in the US to the OP, be aware that there is a fair chance that will be denied. Not all consulates will agree that retiring in Thailand is a good reason to grant that, and may tell you to apply for an O-A in D.C. or LA. So in that case, you could get a tourist visa, and there are always the options of doing change of visa status from tourist or 30 day stamp in Bangkok, or you can easily get a single entry O in Laos.

Good luck with your surgery, BTW.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, thanks to Jingthing and all.

On the 90 day reporting, I wonder if that can be done at your local police station as I had been told. Last time I did that the guy manning the small local office just said, "Okay Okay. Mi bpen ri. We know you." He did not fill out any form or ask me for any. Does this appear to be "normal"? Methinks it best to bolly on up to Mae Sai and do it there. I am now 2 days past the 90 days.

It appears Jingthing's best solution for me would be to get a Non-Imm. "O" in the States before coming, to be sure to have the surest usable vehicle for going back to using Retirement Extensions. This way if my surgery causes me to go past my current Retirement Extension expiration of Oct 31st, I will have what I need to apply again without "converting".

I have this question: Since I never reported in to Thai Immigration every 90 days while on Non-Imm. "O" for 7 years, and assume it is not required as I always understood, does one have to report in every 90 days if on a Retirement Extension?? (I have not done so on the RE I am on now).

Here seems to me to be a pretty good guide and attempt at presenting the convoluted, ever changing process of getting a one year "Retirement Extension", with the caveat that in Thailand nothing in the Visa process is consistent for long, and largely depends on the individual Imm. officer's interpretation and mood of the day. I would like your comments Jingthing (and any others), of this site: http://www.wpcoe.com/visa/ if you have time, before I recommend it to others.

Thanks to all.

Your link seems to be spot on BUT how did you get the idea that you were not required to do a 90 day report with a Non Imm O. That is WRONG. Hope that is not discovered.:o

As Scorpio says, most definately do need to the 90 day reporting, but the good news is that you can just post up the required paperwork and photocopies needed to Mae Sai. Make sure you do it with a few days to 'spare' and send the letter recorded delivery so that you have a record you've sent it up. Usually get your stamped form back within the week.

Thanks to all.

Your link seems to be spot on BUT how did you get the idea that you were not required to do a 90 day report with a Non Imm O. That is WRONG. Hope that is not discovered.:o

Scorpio Wrote: "Your link seems to be spot on BUT how did you get the idea that you were not required to do a 90 day report with a Non Imm O. That is WRONG. Hope that is not discovered."

I got that idea because I used Non-Imm. "O" for 7 years (except for the last time when I got a Retirement Extension) and never reported and never got faulted for it. It could be that some of that could be explained by the fact that some of my stays were 90 days or less, but certainly not nearly all. It is a mystery to me too, & now that you all have brought it to my attention I will try to report as necessary. I just got back from reporting at Mae Sai where I was 4 days late with my current 90 day notification, but they never mentioned it. As I understand it they could have charged me 200 b per day over the 90.

Thanks to all the help I received from Scorpio and Jingthing, my plans have jelled and I want to run it by you if you have time. There are so many variables for me this trip back, especially not knowing the result of the tests, Xrays and operation if I have to have one, that it now seems workable and flexible to wait until Sept 12th to get a one way ticket back. I have now booked this trip, and it seems to me that I have a choice; (1) the option of going for a renewal of the Retirement Extension BEFORE leaving, so as to have it in hand regardless of how things turn out for me in the States and thereby precluding me from having to go through the hoops in converting to a Non-Imm. "O" after getting back. (I would have lost my R/E if I had to go past the Oct 31st deadline and then have to come back in on some form of Tourist or Non-Imm. "O" Visa).

....OR (2) - after things shake out there I could get some form of Visa there in the States before coming back and then have to go through the whole procedure of converting to a Non-Imm."O" again so as to be able to apply for another R/E (which would mean another trip to Chaing mai for the financial letter).

Though not perfect, this appears the most workable situation for me. All comments appreciated.

SeeJo,

Just get a new Retirement Visa good for 1 year from the Thai Embassy or Consulte in the States.

Don't mess with the tourist visa or 3 month O visa and then converting etc.

Just get a new police report and medical, submit the income requirement.

There is a Thai (race) Lady that has a office across the street (SSR services suite 100 606 N Larchmont first floor) (one building south-east) from the LA Consulate that does notary and also sells the Money Orders for paying for your Visa. That office can also submit your visa app and get it back for you to pick up next day.

It is a legitimate service recognised by the consulate there.

small fee but not bad. think about $25 more than the Visa fees and includes the Notary fee.

Side note: Maybe that is one reason LA requires Notary........... Not Thailand, but dealing with Thai peoples...........

Edited by KimoMax

SeeJo,

Just get a new Retirement Visa good for 1 year from the Thai Embassy or Consulte in the States.

Don't mess with the tourist visa or 3 month O visa and then converting etc.

Just get a new police report and medical, submit the income requirement.

There is a Thai (race) Lady that has a office across the street (606 N Larchmont first floor) (one building south-east) from the LA Consulate that does notary and also sells the Money Orders for paying for your Visa. That office can also submit your visa app and get it back for you to pick up next day.

It is a legitimate service recognised by the consulate there.

small fee but not bad. think about $25 more than the Visa fees and includes the Notary fee.

Side note: Maybe that is one reason LA requires Notary........... Not Thailand, but dealing with Thai peoples...........

Many of us feel what you suggest is more of a bother than the methods suggested not dealing with an O-A. However, that is another option. If the OP tries that, go for the MULTIPLE entry one.

Getting a Local Police report is easy. any local police or sheriff front desk and they will have police records run a name check on you and issue a letter for about $10.

Most doctors, especially your own personal physician will issue the medical form without any problems.

I personally have found it just much easier to take care of it in one time, instead of getting a tourist visa, or a temp O visa and then having to go ther more hoops again for extensions or conversions here in Thailand.

My opinion from my experiences doing it all the routes suggested by others.

Why would a long term expat in Thailand have a personal physician in the US? Many times, docs in the US insist on actually performing the clinical tests implied on the medical form (that would be very expensive). Police report? Some expats no longer have a real local US residence to get one from. It's a choice for sure and each person's situation will be different -- weigh the pros and cons.

First of all, the OP said he was going to the states for Surgery. So obviousely he would have insurance there, an address and a Doctor who can issue the med cert which asks for Elephantitis, third stage syphliss, and Polio and other seldom seen medical conditions.

If a person is physically in the USA and has an ID (passport etc) they can get a name check done for a visa at any police desk. Yes there are Transient's without homes in the US, and Police will accomodate homeless and transients.

Many US citizens still have some type of address in the States. Does not mean you have to be physically present at the address. Could be a family member, friend, po box with a street address, etc.

Most Retired Expats from the US also have health insurance. PPO and HMO. Many have to chose a primary doctor.

A person can also shop various Doc in the Box shops for a Doc that will not do all these unnecessary tests. they know these illnesses are extremely rare in the US and will sign the form after doing a brief physical examination for a normal doc visit price.

These are not big issues for most, if it is, then do it the complicated run around way.

Edited to include doctor shopping and people with residence

Edited by KimoMax