Oh My! Another Visa Question.

SeeJo

This is getting tangential but I do seriously doubt that most long term US expats have health insurance good in the US. You like the O-A. Good for you. Again, it's an option with pros and cons like other options. I personally think most expats in the OP's situation wouldn't use it, but the OP gets to make that choice.

Scorpio Wrote: "Your link seems to be spot on BUT how did you get the idea that you were not required to do a 90 day report with a Non Imm O. That is WRONG. Hope that is not discovered."

I got that idea because I used Non-Imm. "O" for 7 years (except for the last time when I got a Retirement Extension) and never reported and never got faulted for it. It could be that some of that could be explained by the fact that some of my stays were 90 days or less, but certainly not nearly all. It is a mystery to me too, & now that you all have brought it to my attention I will try to report as necessary. I just got back from reporting at Mae Sai where I was 4 days late with my current 90 day notification, but they never mentioned it. As I understand it they could have charged me 200 b per day over the 90.

Thanks to all the help I received from Scorpio and Jingthing, my plans have jelled and I want to run it by you if you have time. There are so many variables for me this trip back, especially not knowing the result of the tests, Xrays and operation if I have to have one, that it now seems workable and flexible to wait until Sept 12th to get a one way ticket back. I have now booked this trip, and it seems to me that I have a choice; (1) the option of going for a renewal of the Retirement Extension BEFORE leaving, so as to have it in hand regardless of how things turn out for me in the States and thereby precluding me from having to go through the hoops in converting to a Non-Imm. "O" after getting back. (I would have lost my R/E if I had to go past the Oct 31st deadline and then have to come back in on some form of Tourist or Non-Imm. "O" Visa).

....OR (2) - after things shake out there I could get some form of Visa there in the States before coming back and then have to go through the whole procedure of converting to a Non-Imm."O" again so as to be able to apply for another R/E (which would mean another trip to Chaing mai for the financial letter).

Though not perfect, this appears the most workable situation for me. All comments appreciated.

Either you are a smooth operator or very lucky. I got fined 2000 baht for being a few days late in reporting because I assumed the one year extention started the clock again.

Obviously #1 is the best bet with #2 a fall back position.

Good Luck with the health issue and the Visa.

Sorry to be so long in replying, but I am having to do so from email confirmations of your posts. For some reason TV Home pops up quickly, but the Forums page has been taking longer and longer to come up and now almost never - ??. But occasionally this page pops up, only showing my last post??? but thankfully giving me a place to post a reply.

Any way, Harsu/KimoMax seems to have covered the thing for me, in that there are so many reasons a U.S. Expat can (and in most circumstances in my opinion, should have a U. S. Doctor), that the question is moot. Thailand has some excellent hospital facilities, but none are close enough to me for convenience, and as to them or doctors, I will keep using my U. S. Doctor/Hospital of longstanding every chance I can, especially for the serious stuff, thank you. I go see my family when I can affort the plane fare.

I live on a small SS check every month, cannot affort Thai Medical insurance, and U. S. Medicare cannot be used in Thailand. This would not be self-evident except to American Expats.

I like only the quickest, least painful route to living in Thailand and am not married to any particular way. A Retirement Visa, if one can be gotten at an Honorary Consul in the States, is about as easy for me to get as a Tourist or O-A, and if no other thing is needed after coming back to Thailand, then that is maybe the way for me to go, especially if it is renewable in a year with a "Retirement Extension". The Police Chief in my little U. S. town is a friend of long standing, as is my U.S doctor for the medical certification. so these would be easy for me.

JingThing, I am not a Howard Coselle type (more like Don Meredith rest his soul), but do love having and using a wide vocabulary in most circumstances, and when I run across a word I am unfamiliar with, I add it in. Thanks for " tangential". I'll look it up.

Scorpio, I am neither smooth nor lucky. But even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile. Thanks for the good wishes.

I do sincerely thank you all for your nice posts and all the help. I can now move forward with confidence.

SeeJo

A Retirement Visa, if one can be gotten at an Honorary Consul in the States, is about as easy for me to get as a Tourist or O-A, and if no other thing is needed after coming back to Thailand, then that is maybe the way for me to go, especially if it is renewable in a year with a "Retirement Extension".
O-A is a retirement visa, available I think only at D.C, NYC, LA, and Chicago. An O visa (single or multiple) is not a retirement visa. My advice stands get a single entry O at a friendly consulate and extend as you have been in Thailand, but you know your personal situation better than anyone.

Sorry, I did not know that an "O-A is a "Retirement" Visa. I was confused I guess, because you can a "Retirement Extension" off the Non-Imm. "O" Visa.

I understand JingThing,that you advise a single entry "O" gotten in the U. S., but this makes me want to ask again (as in my #1 on an earlier post) if I can just get another Retirement Extension off of my existing one, before going to the States as ticketed on Sept. 12th? If so, this appears to be the most painless, since I would assume nothing else is needed?? Such as going to Chiang Mai for another financial letter?

Sorry to be so dense.

Most offices accept extension applications 30 days early and often will accept proof of travel to allow even earlier. Jomtien allows two months early with no excuses needed. You are leaving Sept 12 and your permission is until late October? That's over 30 days. You will have to ask your office if they will do it earlier with proof of travel out. I don't think you ever spelled out that question before. That would be the overwhelming no brainer if I now read you correctly IF they will allow it that early. Of course you must also apply for a REENTRY PERMIT at that time to keep the new extension alive when you reenter.

Edited by Jingthing

JingThing, yes I believeI mentioned before, that my current Retirement Extension (my first one ever) isto Oct 31st and that I have gotten a ticket to the U. S. leaving onSept 12th. So from what yousay, especially with my medical situation and my ticket in hand (E-Ticket) Ishould be able to get a back to back Retirement Extension a little early. Chai mai?

Your explicit question about early application wasn't clear to me. Sorry about that for both of us. I have NO IDEA whether they will accept your early application or not. Many offices will do so with good excuse and proof which you will have. If I were you, I would definitely try it.

Edited by Jingthing

SeeJo,

You may be granted an early extension application. Check with your nearest Immigration office if they will accept based on travel and medical reasons.

Your dates of extension expiration and your planned departure were clearly stated in your original post.

If they will not extend early, then no need to spend the time and money for an income cert.

All the other options of applying for a new visa can be used. Whichever is most convenient for you.

Nice to have options just in case.

Edited by KimoMax

SeeJo,

You may be granted an early extension application. Check with your nearest Immigration office if they will accept based on travel and medical reasons.

Your dates of extension expiration and your planned departure were clearly stated in your original post.

If they will not extend early, then no need to spend the time and money for an income cert.

All the other options of applying for a new visa can be used. Whichever is most convenient for you.

Nice to have options just in case.

I don't believe he explicitly ASKED in the OP if he could apply for an extension early. He asked about 'visa on entry'. In any case, that doesn't matter now, his first priority should be to explore an early extension (and don't forget the permit!).

His question --

o my question is; is this VOA still available, at least in some variation, that will allow me to apply for a Retirement Extension within the last 30 days of it?
Edited by Jingthing

OK to everyone. I will take my e-ticket and go to Mae Sai about a week before leaving on sept 12th. and try to get another 12 month Retirement Extension. If they will not do it for me, I will get one of the Non-Imm. "O" Visas or a Retirement Visa in the States. Yes it is nice to have options and thanks to you, I know most of them now.

I will post again and let you know what happened at Mae Sai.

Regards.

SeeJo