Ready Made Microwave Indian Curries

bobroper

I have been living in Thailand for a few years and what I really miss (can't cook) is the ready made microwave Indian curries which, when I was in the UK, I purchased from Sainsburys and other large supermarkets.

I live in Bangkok (not the touristy area) and I was wondering if anybody knows if I can purchase these meals either online or in a store. I know there is an online store in Chiang Mai (something sausage) where they are readily available, but that's Chiang Mai.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi!

You can buy these in indian shops.

I once bought them in one of the shops in Phaurat (little India).

Map

Go down the little alley next to India Emporium department store.

There are a couple of Indian grocery stores. At least one of those

stores has them.

What you are looking for is M.T.R. brand curries ,packed in Aluminium foil. I microwave them( remove contents from aluminium)- 1min.40 secs. does the job. About 20 different kinds. Try Laxmi stores, 390 Chakrapetch Road, Phahurat. or Nisa Sachdev, 329 Soi Protooleck Lek ( near Gurdwara,a Sikh temple and a big multi storey emporium)Chakraphet road. Both these shops are in Little India. They are lovely curries.

The Rang Mahal brand of curries is mostly pretty good. Not cheap, though, at 200+ Baht for most of the dishes. Available from the like of Villa and Tops. (Occasionally seen them in Lotus and Big C, but not recently.)

M.T.R. are authentic Indian Curries , made in India, imported into Thailand, Depending on recipe, the majority are B60 ,, some B70. As they are made for Indians, in India, they are vegetarian, but very lovely, If you must have meat , you can add .

I should add ,Little India has heaps of restaurants, both Northern and Southern, Veg and non-veg. Very cheap to reasonably expensive. Most are located in the area between Chackraphet Road and the Klong behind it. Many little lanes as well have many nosh houses in them.This is where the Indians live, so everything is to Indian taste. Not many farang frequent the area. I love it.Sadly i live live over 400 kilometres from there , and only get there once a year. to pig out. However I do get a good range of M.T.R. curries sent by road freight to me,so I don't suffer terminal deprivation.

AFarang

Yes, I understand.

I reside in Bang Khae, so it's not too far to Little India/China town and I know the area quite well.

It's a matter therefore of stocking up on these curries and hopefully enjoying at a later date.

Next week I will be travelling to Chakraphet Road (about an hour by bus) and will let you know how I get on.

Regards

AFarang

Yes, I understand.

I reside in Bang Khae, so it's not too far to Little India/China town and I know the area quite well.

It's a matter therefore of stocking up on these curries and hopefully enjoying at a later date.

Next week I will be travelling to Chakraphet Road (about an hour by bus) and will let you know how I get on.

Regards

If you have not been there before, you may be in for quite a pleasant surprise. Nisa's shop is a proper Indian grocery .Very well stocked with imported groceries from India.Her clientele is 99.999% Indian, mainly Indian ladies As i remarked before , very few farang know about it or go there. A family sell Samosas at the entrance to the little Soi she is in. Fresh made and cooked in front of you. Extra lovely. Drool, drool.I love Masala dhosa for breakfast .There is a restaurant ,mainly makes sweets, cakes etc, but have a veg. restaurant as well ,in the soi located nearest the Klong. It has 2 entrances - one on the main soi, the other in the lane beside it. The best ones I have found in L.I. I miss not having the ability to go there weekly. I was living in Bkk. for many years, and took my children there weekly . for lunch. When they were about 4 and 6, we started. They enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

afarang

Went to Little India this week and purchased a few MTR curries from Nisa (Rita). Have tried two of them and as you say, very lovely, and if you want you can add meat.

Went to another shop in that soi and purchased just two packets of Haldiram's ready made curry. Yet to try these but I will certainly be back to Nisa's store and purchase in bulk.

Again, thank's for your help.

Regards

afarang

Went to Little India this week and purchased a few MTR curries from Nisa (Rita). Have tried two of them and as you say, very lovely, and if you want you can add meat.

Went to another shop in that soi and purchased just two packets of Haldiram's ready made curry. Yet to try these but I will certainly be back to Nisa's store and purchase in bulk.

Again, thank's for your help.

Regards

My pleasure. My personal favourites are : Dal Fry, Dal Makhani. Palak Paneer, Mixed Veg., Alu Muttar, Shahi Paneer, Paneer Butter Masala.It is a nice shop ,isn't it.?Did you try the samosas at the entrance to the Soi? For my kids , it was a compulsory stop.Before going to a restaurant for lunch. I hope you have many more enjoyable meals,Bill

Are these frozen?

No, they are packed in Alum. foil. They were originally developed for the Indian Army Soldiers in hardship posts,where there were no fresh markets. They were so well received they were licenced for commercial manufacture. You can either heat them in boiling water in their packs or ,as I do put some rice in a bowl, empty the contents of the pack on top, whack 'em in the microwave ( me -for 1min.40 seconds at full power), and they are ready to eat. As they are pre- cooked. Enjoy !!!

Are these frozen?

No, they are packed in Alum. foil. They were originally developed for the Indian Army Soldiers in hardship posts,where there were no fresh markets. They were so well received they were licenced for commercial manufacture. You can either heat them in boiling water in their packs or ,as I do put some rice in a bowl, empty the contents of the pack on top, whack 'em in the microwave ( me -for 1min.40 seconds at full power), and they are ready to eat. As they are pre- cooked. Enjoy !!!

Great, good to know they travel well then, I will definitely go look for these next time I am in Bangkok.

They travel well .I live in deepest ,darkest Buriram, near the Cambodian border. I get my supplies sent by road transport. No problems, although the concept of speedy delivery ,does not exist. About 8 days from Bkk. to here.

What you are looking for is M.T.R. brand curries ,packed in Aluminium foil. I microwave them( remove contents from aluminium)- 1min.40 secs. does the job. About 20 different kinds. Try Laxmi stores, 390 Chakrapetch Road, Phahurat. or Nisa Sachdev, 329 Soi Protooleck Lek ( near Gurdwara,a Sikh temple and a big multi storey emporium)Chakraphet road. Both these shops are in Little India. They are lovely curries.

How to go to Little India by Bus from Rama-4 and where to stop to visit Nisa for her MTR curries?

How to go to Little India by Bus from Rama-4 and where to stop to visit Nisa for her MTR curries?

Sorry,it is many years since I came from that direction, I think you catch Bus number 4. Which will run , eventually ,along Yaowarat Road( ask conductor). . It should turn left,out of Yaowarat, in Chinatown. If it does ,you get off at the first stop after turning. On the other side of the road , you will see a laneway, filled with shops .That is the bottom end of Chinatown. Big crowds in there ,but walk through(slowly, due to so many people) and at its end you will be in Little India. Everything will become clear to you ,then. Sorry once again ,I have been out of Bkk. for about 12 years,. Memory is a bit rusty.

• 3 weeks later...