BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Ned

Chemical Pollution.....blood Toxins

...and we are none the wiser.

As far as cancer goes, there's one hundred and thirty umpteenth millions of things that are carcinogenic to a lesser or greater degree. I guess that article sabaijai posted means I might cut down a bit on the coffee though. Didnt know it was that bad.

Anyways, it's hard to say if the figures quoted in the Economist are of any relevance to Thailand, and CM in particular. From looking at the state of the environment here, I will keep eating regularly at the veggie restaurants since the people working there are generally more aware of trying to eat healthy than the average Thai, who still eats what he or she feels like without worrying too much, and hasn't thought much about the use of pesticides or GMOs.

You could of course argue that worrying about things might actually cause greater strain on you in the long run than consuming small quantities of harmful chemicals, and that the 'ignorance is bliss' formula will make sure happy-go-lucky types live longer than neurotics such as myself. You probably have a point, too. :-)

Either way, the trend towards ecologically grown food will probably continue here, just keep your eyes open.

Here's a recent article about organic food in the Bangkok Post, by the way:

Green choice (Bangkok Post 21 October)

A Farang MD with holistic leanings in Bangkok.

A holistic Farang MD in Thialand.....where did you find him/her?

A holistic doctor (with a PHd, not an MD) in Chiang Mai asked me to get tests from him to help work out a health program for me, but I have only used him for testing.

He is a located near a police station near Koh San Road in Bangkok and his name is Capek.

I can PM you his e-mail address if you want it. :o

A Farang MD with holistic leanings in Bangkok.

A holistic Farang MD in Thialand.....where did you find him/her?

A holistic doctor (with a PHd, not an MD) in Chiang Mai asked me to get tests from him to help work out a health program for me, but I have only used him for testing.

He is a located near a police station near Koh San Road in Bangkok and his name is Capek.

I can PM you his e-mail address if you want it. :o

I live in the north so it wouldn't help me but I believe in an earlier post someone suggest that people might want to get tested so I guess they could contact you and you could let them know..ok? You lived in Bangkok then? If so I'm surprised that the results didn't show some quantity of lead since there is enough lead in the air there to definitely show up on a heavy metal test, at least I think so. Did you get the test to just rule out the possibility of blood toxins as part of a diagnosis? I've never had a physician (which of course the PhD. was not) suggest that I get tested for toxins.

I live in Chiang Mai.

I only went to Bangkok to get the tests.

The PhD is one of Chiang Mai's large community of foreign Detox experts.

He has a lot of experience with holistic methods and has worked all over the world.

He also claims to have studied medicine in Germany but dropped out because he disagreed with their methods.

You are right, I'm sure that a regular medical doctor wouldn't recommend these kind of tests.

Edited by Judge

Hey if anyone in CM wants to be sure sure sure they're getting organic produce to go to the Asoke veg restaurant on the way to the airport. I've heard stories regarding the lengths that the Asoke group goes to to assure Asoke organic standards. The Asoke veg restaurant is a safe bet for "safe" vegetables and fruit.

Are there any good quality vegetarian retaurants near Thapae Gate?

Please don't say Aum! :o

Hey  if anyone in CM wants to be sure sure sure they're getting organic produce to go to the Asoke veg restaurant on the way to the airport. I've heard stories regarding the lengths that the Asoke group goes to to assure Asoke organic standards. The Asoke veg restaurant is a safe bet for "safe" vegetables and fruit.

Can you post their location, phone number, or web site? The Asoke people are known for having developed alot of organic techniques and I'd like to connect with them but so far have not been able to.

...and we are none the wiser.

As far as cancer goes, there's one hundred and thirty umpteenth millions of things that are carcinogenic to a lesser or greater degree. I guess that article sabaijai posted means I might cut down a bit on the coffee though. Didnt know it was that bad.

Anyways, it's hard to say if the figures quoted in the Economist are of any relevance to Thailand, and CM in particular. From looking at the state of the environment here, I will keep eating regularly at the veggie restaurants since the people working there are generally more aware of trying to eat healthy than the average Thai, who still eats what he or she feels like without worrying too much, and hasn't thought much about the use of pesticides or GMOs.

You could of course argue that worrying about things might actually cause greater strain on you in the long run than consuming small quantities of harmful chemicals, and that the 'ignorance is bliss' formula will make sure happy-go-lucky types live longer than neurotics such as myself. You probably have a point, too. :-)

Either way, the trend towards ecologically grown food will probably continue here, just keep your eyes open.

Here's a recent article about organic food in the Bangkok Post, by the way:

Green choice (Bangkok Post 21 October)

Excellent article.

Hi Chownah I would like to help you but dont know much about them myself.

Its nice to know some of the TV crowd isnt sleeping and so Bush like.

Here are two guys connected with the group who are Farang and do -mail some and are helpful too.

"Troy Santos" <troysantos@gmail.com> gave me the info and should know something more about the group

"francis martorell" <frankperma@hotmail.com> is also someone who knows more about them

Hi Chownah I would like to help you but dont know much about them myself.

Its nice to know some of the TV crowd isnt sleeping and so Bush like.

Here are two guys connected with the group who are Farang and do -mail some and are helpful too.

"Troy Santos" <troysantos@gmail.com>  gave me the info and should know something more about the group

"francis martorell" <frankperma@hotmail.com>  is also someone who knows more about them

Thanks for the contacts.

I belive 25% of that article because sometime the writer and the reporter are not the same person. The good article should to reference the name of lab tested and who is the populations of this testing. If just say by some sources of meterial means not reliable.

CM is a big city and has problems like in Bangkok in air pollution majority.But the CM is open area can dilute polluted substances from the city. The geography and climatic of CM. can disperse many toxic particles out side the city easily.

If the toxic tested that show in article has shown what is the chemical substances effect to people such as Pb, CO, NOx or any heavy metals or toxic gases. I will believe this article.

You are right to be sceptical about newspaper articles, orchidexpert.

We dont know how carefully journalists check their sources, of course. But it is rather rare that daily newspapers present sources and detailed information about how tests are carried out and facts analysed - this kind of information is usually only published in scientific magazines. I agree it is unfortunate.

I am not sure your analysis of dispersion in the CM region is 100% correct, when it comes to air pollution - the Inversion layer effectis clearly visible in the air in Chiang Mai, especially during the hot season. Even though Bangkok may be subject to more pollution than C.M. in absolute numbers, Chiang Mai city's location in a valley would seem likely to make the air circulation conditions worse than for Bangkok, which is situated on an alluvial plain without surrounding mountains.

I do not claim to be an expert on this, as there are many variables to consider, but the truth is the air quality in CM, at least during the past five hot seasons, has been quite bad.

Flying from CM to Bangkok during the hot season on a number of occasions, I have noticed the air at least feels fresher in Bangkok than in CM.

The sea breeze helps alot in Bangkok. In CM we get that stale air filled with everything from traffic exaust to the smoke from everyone and their dog burning plastic garbage.

cv

I agree vic, I have always felt CM residents should address the problem of their dogs burning plastic garbage. To be fair, it's not a completely canine problem, the cats smoke too much as well.