New Work Permit Requirements From The Labor Department

Where in the report does it say that this only valid for teachers?

It doesn't, but that would be the most logical thing - of course logic is in short supply around these parts.

If it were in fact "the most logical thing" why is not mentioned in the report?

I am not the only one who would appreciate an answer to this. Have you noticed?

Give Sunbelt a call. They'll answer all your questions, and no doubt help you with your next WP application. - Might be a bit pricey though.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember reading somewhere that the new Syphilis test that's going to be introduced is really a veiled test for HIV. I can't remember where I read it, maybe it was on here somewhere.

Could maybe make more sense.

While testing is Always Good [TM], why test coming employees for a disease that is very rare among people who'd apply for working permits, only transmits by very close contact and is easily curable, in primary stages with a single shot?

Keeping the DNA for a future register, maybe?

Kepping the DNA for ...yeah right like they are orgainized enough for something like that. 1984 it ain't.

I feel That Sunbelt has be very iresponsible for the original post, and not at all professional, as for a large international Lawyer company it is a ricoulous post, and is not really verified. If Sunbelt behave like this I for one would never use them.There is no mention on the department of employment website about this change.

http://www.labour.go.th

http://www.doe.go.th

Pinball

Nice bit of free publicity for sunbelt.

The size of the photograph required has changed.

You have always had to show your educational certificates to obtain a work permit. Even if you are the managing director in a Thai company. It's part of the paperwork. History of past employment has always been asked about. Nothing has changed as far as I can see - Apart from the size of the photo.

The photo has got smaller, and this was in place earlier on this year in BKK...

Maybe it is not a bad thing,i know a French guy who is teaching English and he does not speak the language very well.

Anyone taught by him is not learning anything useful .

I feel That Sunbelt has be very iresponsible for the original post, and not at all professional, as for a large international Lawyer company it is a ricoulous post, and is not really verified. If Sunbelt behave like this I for one would never use them.There is no mention on the department of employment website about this change.

Pinball

There is nothing irresponsible in anything Sunbelt have posted......it's the TV loonies that have turned this post into something its not...all the normal references to xenophiobia, conspiracy theories and the"I am farang" and demand to be treated differently and if I cant comply with the requirements...I demand the Thai authrorities change the rules for me becasue I am a farang you know.....;)

As other posters have mentioned, WP in Thailand are pretty easy to get in comparision with many other countries.....Many years ago i worked in China before it opened up and had to comply with all the normal paperwork stuff plus a days medical inclusive of HIV tests and a whole host of other nasties and to cap it all off a two hour "political interview" with the Chinese security police, which If I had deemed to have failed would have resulted in me not being able to work in the country....

Thailand's WP requirements are very easy in comparision...:whistling:

Maybe it is not a bad thing,i know a French guy who is teaching English and he does not speak the language very well.

Anyone taught by him is not learning anything useful .

One could suggest there are vast number of 1st languge "English teachers" in Thailand to which the same remarks could apply as well :rolleyes:

so what will they do with the tens of thousands of burmese, lao, and khmers working for a pittance in thailand ?

or do the new regulations only apply to farangs ?

I think they had different kind of work permit because their WP applications doesn't need to have "Non B or Non O" visa.

I am in the process of setting up a Thai company that will be employing at least 25 Thai citizens. I personally, however, do not have a university degree. Does that mean that while I will be employing 25 Thai citizens and paying their salaries, I won't be able to even get a work permit for myself?

Pinball

There is nothing irresponsible in anything Sunbelt have posted......it's the TV loonies that have turned this post into something its not...all the normal references to xenophiobia, conspiracy theories and the"I am farang" and demand to be treated differently and if I cant comply with the requirements...I demand the Thai authrorities change the rules for me becasue I am a farang you know.....;)

As other posters have mentioned, WP in Thailand are pretty easy to get in comparision with many other countries.....Many years ago i worked in China before it opened up and had to comply with all the normal paperwork stuff plus a days medical inclusive of HIV tests and a whole host of other nasties and to cap it all off a two hour "political interview" with the Chinese security police, which If I had deemed to have failed would have resulted in me not being able to work in the country....

Thailand's WP requirements are very easy in comparision...:whistling:

Theres nothing irresponsible nor unethical in the original pos by Sunbelt. Just a shame no one saw through their marketing angle sooner.

We should know that expat lawyers or lawyers acting for expats make their money from the general ignorance of expats in Thailand. There seems to be a general sense of paranoid hystaria amongst many, I guess. People think they need lawyers to protect them, when in reality most tasks from visa applications, work permits, tax records etc can be done more quickly and easily using a good secratary, Thai friend, or collegue.

I am in the process of setting up a Thai company that will be employing at least 25 Thai citizens. I personally, however, do not have a university degree. Does that mean that while I will be employing 25 Thai citizens and paying their salaries, I won't be able to even get a work permit for myself?

You will get a work permit if you meet the requirements according to your business.

If you job requires that you must have a degree (for example teaching english in a government school) then you must have a degree.

Read the thread again.

Just a reminder: This topic is about Work Permit Requirements; it's not about Sunbelt. Please focus on the topic to avoid having your post deleted and a warning issued.

You will get a work permit if you meet the requirements according to your business.

If you job requires that you must have a degree (for example teaching english in a government school) then you must have a degree.

Read the thread again.

So if it's my own business?

New applicants for work permits will now be required to provide proof of their Education Certificate (BA, BS, MA, MS, PhD)

Are foriegners allowed to pay (buy) them as the rest of the populations in kwailand do?

New applicants for work permits will now be required to provide proof of their Education Certificate (BA, BS, MA, MS, PhD)

All I can see is a big hole in this proof of their education to be presented by the applicant for Work permit.

As it looks from the information provided there is going to be a rip-roaring business to (buy) them from the Diploma Mills as is the case with a good percentage of the populations in kwailand do?

The only way to prevent fraud is to do as I did when hiring qualified employees.

The applicant send a written request to the school graduated from requesting a TRANSCRIPT for which the applicant has to pay the school Registrars office a fee and for the school Registrar to send the TRANSCRIPT to the address of the intended employer by registered mail. In the case of the Work permit the address of that office in Thailand.

Note: The fingerprints of the applicant must never be on the TRANSCRIPT.

It looks to me that the applicant in the Thai Work Permit case comes Waltzing into the Work Permit office with the evidence of education in his/her hands making the whole affair nothing but a JOKE. Like so many things in Thailand to give the place the look of being right up there with the rest of the world. I.e. all them signs along Royal Road 7 and 9 warning motorist that the road is Speed Camera controlled, what a big laugh that is, but to a tourist or prospective business person having intentions of doing business in Thailand, it looks great.

Edited by swerver

Read the thread again.

So if it's my own business?

It's your own business (49% foreign 51% Thai) your highest qualification can be a 50metre swimming badge.

For the file you must submit your highest educational certificate.. If you have a degree - give them a copy of a certificate. If you don't have a degree. You do not give them a copy.

Read the first post.

It says that applicants must provide proof that they have a degree. - This is the clever part. The part that Sunbelt leave out - If they have a degree or a degree is required for their job.

If it is your company you do not need one. Unless something drastically has indeed changed. In which case I am sure Sunbelt can can clarify as they opened this can of worms.

I've opened and owned a company in Thailand and have been asked by a immigration offical for my degree certificate. I told her I didn't have one. She looked at me aghast.

Turns out she had only ever processed teachers work permits before. I spoke to the man in charge and we laughed it off. Honestly, this has been blown way out of proportion please.....

Edited by Geekfreaklover

That is why I bring my 5 certificates to Thailand.

One question?

If my certificates are in French, are they going to accept them?

I would guess so providing you dont intend "teaching English"....:whistling:

Teaching English would not be a problem for me! If they accept my strong accent :D So proud of living in a French-English country :)

That is why I bring my 5 certificates to Thailand.

One question?

If my certificates are in French, are they going to accept them?

I would guess so providing you dont intend "teaching English"....:whistling:

They would probably even accept it for teaching English. It's the degree that matters, not the experience or language knowledge.

:whistling:

I am so thrilled to know my NYU & CiA degrees were never

exposed as New York Un-Employed 'n' Culinary Institute of Amsterdam ( learned to bake brownies&stew mushrooms) , but besides the cookin' , I cannot imagine where

to get a degree in Poo-ying management or rock&roll a go-go management.

True story , whatever our lawyer had gotten me

as a name for what I did at Rock Hard , whenever I showed it to any police or immigration people ,

they had no idea what it said ???

At least that's what they told me !