New Work Permit Requirements From The Labor Department

Ah, the 'sky is falling crowd' is up early this morning.

THE 'I'VE WORKED EVERYWHERE AND IT HAS NEVER BEEN AS HARD AS THIS' GUY

- We've got an British citizen (with EU treaty rights) stating how 'easy' it was for him to get WP's for other EU countries, ignoring the fact (deliberately and disingenuously)that these things are automatic for him, given his rights as an EU citizen. He uses this a comparison with Thailand....

- This same bloke should ask check back at his own home country (the UK) and the absolute balls up they made of the Highly Skilled Migrant Permit visa, which made a number of radical changes through the life of the visa, changes which at one point meant that people who'd been living in the UK for 3 years were also of a sudden 'unqualified' to live there and were forced to move home. It took a High Court challenge for the Home Office to change their tune on that one.

THE "I'M HERE TO HELP THOSE POOR THAI FOLK" DOCTOR

- Then we have a Doctor from the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave (etc) get all worked up that it has taken him THREE WHOLE MONTHS to basically get nowhere. This despite the fact that if a foreign doctor wants go to the US they have to re-qualify and many of them work as nurses while they go through this process. A process which can take years, and years.

- Perhaps this doctor wants to try out working as a nurse first in a Thai hospital. That way he can both help people AND screw pretty Thai girls?

AND THE REST OF YOU - IT IS A MARKETING EXERCISE

And then we have the rest of the mob.....getting worked up over the fact when the reality is that that all this thread is about is a marketing exercise by Sunbelt.

What they've done is left out a rather unimportant piece of information that somewhere in the OP to get you all worked up so you go running into his arms (for a fee of course).

Clever marketing I guess, but I guess he knows how to get the TV crowd who are scared of their own shadows in Thailand to run to his arms.

Edited by samran

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Post criticizing grammar have been deleted, they are off-topic.

There is a difference in comprehending English and interpreting it. With regulations such as the ones proposed, it is the interpretation that matters. Let's spend a little less time criticizing the perceived weaknesses of posters and more on the implications of the regulations.

Big election happening and not knowing who will win the Immigration Department heads, are making new rules and acting tough, in hopes this will prevent their getting canned before August.

Most of these rules are sheer idiocy, but makes them look active and 'tough on crime by foreigners', a soft easy target.

Big election happening and not knowing who will win the Immigration Department heads, are making new rules and acting tough, in hopes this will prevent their getting canned before August.

Most of these rules are sheer idiocy, but makes them look active and 'tough on crime by foreigners', a soft easy target.

I think you are confusing western election politics with Thai election politics.

That kind of thing doesn't rate a mention here.

What gets you elected is how many 100 or 500 baht notes you stick to bags of rice you give out, how good looking our candidates are, and whether you can speak an Issan dialect or not.

I did not come here to live just to drink, party, and screw the lovely ladies.

Well, ok.

But I have had nothing but trouble and resistance since I came just 3 months ago. I am strongly considering leaving and going to Mexico-where I speak the language. And at least when a Mexican f**ks you, he gives you the courtesy of a reach around!

A whole 3 months? You expect that everything to bend to your demands when you've been here for 3 months? Unless you're registered to practice in Thailand already how could you honestly think that any hospital would be interested? Even qualified Thai people need time to gain trust of employers or business partners when starting out in new roles. First start by building up contacts of Thai medical pracitioners. Also your attitude about Thailand and Mexico begs the question why do you even bother if that how you think you'll be treated? In any case I don't understand how this relates to the Work Permit rules?

What is a 'reach around'?

It's pretty obvious that they want us here if we can 'prove our worth' so to speak but don't want us here if we can't!! Also, maybe fewer people will bother to get a work permit and this will lead to extra 'revenue' to the usual suspects when finding Aliens working without said permit!!!

Thailand, still proving to be ultra Nationalistic, inward looking and backwards, just what one should expect from a 3rd world mentality with an old elite in control. :(

Before you lament over what you call the 3rd world mentality - spend a few thoughts on how it works in any of the 1st worlds. Can anybody just come and get a work permit without proving by any means that he is qualified for the job?

Well I live in a first world country, and I'll tell you how it works here. Firstly the normal way Thais come to my country is by applying for Permanent Residence. Thousands receive this every year. Having got this they don't need ANY WORK PERMIT, and can work in almost any job, as long as they have the qualifications for that particular job. The hundreds of Thai cooks working in my own city do not need either a degree or work permit to do their jobs.The cleaning lady that cleans my office each night does also not need a degree or work permit. My accountant Thai friend does need a degree simply because he is an accountant, not because he is a foreigner. He still does NOT need a work permit. Get it?

Another way Thais work in my country is by coming here as students. Each student is allowed to work about 20 hours per week. No work permit. No blood test! (Why the hell does the Thai government need to know a person's blood type? How can this POSSIBLY effect his suitability to work?)

If you apply for a job in your home country, do you mention your degree in your resume and attach some documents to it?

That depends on the job and is not a blanket demand from the government, furthermore it applies equally to citizens and foreigners. No employer here would prefer to see my testamur (which is just a certificate with bugger-all information) in preference to a transcript of my academic record.

Some people bash on Thailand as a 3rd world country every and each time it makes a step closer to the first world.

And just what IS the step towards the first world that is evident in the news item?

I have been closely associated with Thailand for over 20 years, and I have to think long and hard to see a single step the government bureaucracy has made towards first world efficiency. In terms of treatment of foreigners, things have definitely gone backwards (which makes me very grateful I no longer have to put up with all that crap).

A few other thoughts about Thai bureaucracy:

- can't they in this day and age issue proper forms in PDF format, with text as text, not as horribly scanned barely readable images? (I recently applied for a visa to China, and they had proper PDF forms on their website)

- what is this OBSESSION with photos? The other day I saw a demand for TEN photos to accompany an application in Thailand! Most interactions with governments in the West don't require any photos, or if they do, one is enough.

- I have a degree, but I'm damned if I am going to carry my original testamur with me to show 3rd world morons that I am educated to the level they like. I have a transcript from my university which is a proper official document, and shows far more detail than the testamur!

- English on Thai government websites (a good one is the Teacher's Council of Thailand) is deplorable, and often unfathomable. If you point this out to them and suggest how they could fix it, even OFFER to help fix it (as I have done on a few occasions) you will be ignored. By contrast most information on government websites in my country is provided in numerous languages including Thai, translated by native Thai speakers.

- I have it on good authority that is far easier and less bureaucratic to get long-stay visas and work permits in China than in Thailand. Now Thais tend to be very proud of their country. Wonder how they think when it's pointed out that they look more insular, paranoid and bureaucratic than the world's largest and most notorious Communist Dictatorship?

Please Clarify.

Do all Work Permits require a University Degree ? I have never had to show in the past (I dont have one). I am Married to a Thai and wish to apply for O Visa, how does this apply to me. I would like to come see you to get this sorted out. Please call me 086780 3801. MB

I have been closely associated with Thailand for over 20 years, and I have to think long and hard to see a single step the government bureaucracy has made towards first world efficiency.

you haven't looked very hard then.

Clearly you've never applied for a Thai passport or ID card or Drivers License.

Especially the passports, wonderfully efficient. No forms to fill in. E-passport, three days later. Better than anything I've experienced in Australia or the UK.

Ever applied for a UK working visa when not married to a UK citizen? An absolute joke. And recently, they've actually restricted the number of work permits they've handed out to 1500 per month!

Imagine of Thailand did a similar thing. I suspect the Thai Visa servers would go into meltdown with the confection rage of the TV punters...

Please Clarify.

Do all Work Permits require a University Degree ? I have never had to show in the past (I dont have one). I am Married to a Thai and wish to apply for O Visa, how does this apply to me. I would like to come see you to get this sorted out. Please call me 086780 3801. MB

All that has happened is that if you declare on the form you have a university degree, you now have to show it.

If you've never finished university, you don't have to show it.

I did not come here to live just to drink, party, and screw the lovely ladies.

Well, ok.

But I have had nothing but trouble and resistance since I came just 3 months ago. I am strongly considering leaving and going to Mexico-where I speak the language. And at least when a Mexican f**ks you, he gives you the courtesy of a reach around!

A whole 3 months? You expect that everything to bend to your demands when you've been here for 3 months? Unless you're registered to practice in Thailand already how could you honestly think that any hospital would be interested? Even qualified Thai people need time to gain trust of employers or business partners when starting out in new roles. First start by building up contacts of Thai medical pracitioners. Also your attitude about Thailand and Mexico begs the question why do you even bother if that how you think you'll be treated? In any case I don't understand how this relates to the Work Permit rules?

Writing a letter or emailing will do NOTHING.

Go to these places in person and talk to people whole can recognize your skills. Everything in Thailand is face to face assessment before ANY papers have relevance. No chance a Thai will hire you, or sign off, or give advice, if they haven't seen you themselves.

And as noted 3 months will give you absolutely no handle on the Thai mentality and ways. Mexicans will be more likely to understand a Western mind set, since they are more used to them with USA right next door.

Edited by animatic

I don't think they have specified that a degree is required for a work permit, although the specific request for educational credentials for renewals as well as new work permits may be heading in that direction. The form asks for qualifications and experience commensurate with the job and I would guess that significant experience will be accepted in most cases without a degree with the exceptions of jobs like teaching that require a degree and a teaching certificate for the measly pay offered in Thai schools. Unfortunately they don't care whether those foreigners who fail to make the cut have Thai families or not and obviously think they should go home.

On a related issue: Thailand has a Working Holiday treaty with Australia. Young citizens from Thailand and Australia can work in the other country for a period of up to 2 years. But Australians only qualify if they have degrees. No Australian electricians welcome! Our showers are already fine!

Perhaps the millions of Burmese labourers who now do most of the heavy lifting in the Thai economy will soon also need to produce degree certificates while Thais sit around in their villages living on social security and the proceeds of selling their low quality rice to the government for twice the global price of high quality rice. In 2015 they have to allow ASEAN nationals to work freely as doctors, nurses, accountants, auditors and surveyors.

When you say 'freely', what exactly do you mean? Do you mean, 'no work permit required, but still need (possibly difficult-to-obtain) visa'? Or visa and work permit will be a formality? Or, perhaps, 'no official restriction, but we'll make sure no non-Thais get through' ?

What about professions besides ones you've mentioned?

Do you have a link describing the 2015 Asean rules?

They will probably get a lot of Filipino accountants and nurses and perhaps some Burmese coming to Thailand to work for companies that appreciate a better knowledge of English but these will be ones that fail to get better paid jobs in Singapore.

Didn't really bother to go trough the thread, but there isn't any change..........just another action to tighten the rules.

Regarding the proof of education:

OR you have to proof that you have completed a certain relevant education as a BA, MBA, etc. (degrees and transcripts)

OR you must have a letter from a previous employer that you do have certain abilities allowing you to work in the Kingdom

OR you must have a letter from your future employer stating that you do have certain abilities which are valuable to him.

Regarding the medical certificate: I needed one on every renewell, but not specifically for blood type and/or any specific disease

Pictures: may have been changed.

I think that Sunbelt was remembered by the nearest immigration office on how things should be taken care of.

For teachers: Usually the Immigration or Labor Department doesn't ask for a degree.......it's more the Ministry of Education, they also ask for a certificate of good behavior. Ministry of Edcuation will submit a 'teachers' license' instead of employer letters of educational documents. Well, at least this was the case until now (Chonburi province)

Please Clarify.

To clarify: All work permits require an education certificate. They did not specify that the minimum must be a BA or BS but that you must show an education certificate. Apologies if the original post was unclear, it should have read : eg: BA, BS, etc.

Additionally, please note that the office is closed after 6 p.m. so any participation by us would take place when we are open, so apologies to anyone who felt that their questions were not answered after that, everyone was at home.

I'm confused.

Section 3.3 of the form attached by Sunbelt and the better ones from the MoL site states as the requirement:-

Copy of certificate of education OR

Recommendation from previous employer OR

Recommendation from prospective employer

Why confused? It's clear as water.

Obviously, most posters are so anxious to post a load of crap, that they didn't see your post, which explains it all.

Please Clarify.

To clarify: All work permits require an education certificate. They did not specify that the minimum must be a BA or BS but that you must show an education certificate. Apologies if the original post was unclear, it should have read : eg: BA, BS, etc.

Additionally, please note that the office is closed after 6 p.m. so any participation by us would take place when we are open, so apologies to anyone who felt that their questions were not answered after that, everyone was at home.

Sunbelt, in your OP you submit a WP form and the required documents, in there is clearly stated:

Regarding the proof of education:

OR you have to proof that you have completed a certain relevant education as a BA, MBA, etc. (degrees and transcripts)

OR you must have a letter from a previous employer that you do have certain abilities allowing you to work in the Kingdom

OR you must have a letter from your future employer stating that you do have certain abilities which are valuable to him.

I don't think they have specified that a degree is required for a work permit, although the specific request for educational credentials for renewals as well as new work permits may be heading in that direction. The form asks for qualifications and experience commensurate with the job and I would guess that significant experience will be accepted in most cases without a degree with the exceptions of jobs like teaching that require a degree and a teaching certificate for the measly pay offered in Thai schools. Unfortunately they don't care whether those foreigners who fail to make the cut have Thai families or not and obviously think they should go home.

On a related issue: Thailand has a Working Holiday treaty with Australia. Young citizens from Thailand and Australia can work in the other country for a period of up to 2 years. But Australians only qualify if they have degrees. No Australian electricians welcome! Our showers are already fine!

Perhaps the millions of Burmese labourers who now do most of the heavy lifting in the Thai economy will soon also need to produce degree certificates while Thais sit around in their villages living on social security and the proceeds of selling their low quality rice to the government for twice the global price of high quality rice. In 2015 they have to allow ASEAN nationals to work freely as doctors, nurses, accountants, auditors and surveyors.

When you say 'freely', what exactly do you mean? Do you mean, 'no work permit required, but still need (possibly difficult-to-obtain) visa'? Or visa and work permit will be a formality? Or, perhaps, 'no official restriction, but we'll make sure no non-Thais get through' ?

What about professions besides ones you've mentioned?

Do you have a link describing the 2015 Asean rules?

They will probably get a lot of Filipino accountants and nurses and perhaps some Burmese coming to Thailand to work for companies that appreciate a better knowledge of English but these will be ones that fail to get better paid jobs in Singapore.

If you look at the Thai Australia working holiday agreement, it is reciprocal. Thai's going to Australia need a degree, as well as a English language test. Coming the other way, it is only a degree.

As for Burmese (as well as Cambodian and Lao nationals) they can work in Thailand under the migrant labour programme, which is entirely separate to the normal WP system.

Please Clarify.

I haven't seen a education document of mine in 30 years.

Never needed them at all anywhere else.

90% of my work had no educational equivalents when I started till more recently, and back then they were asking me to teach the courses, which I turned down.

I don't plan on teaching,

but plan on working periodically and so want the WP, to be legal.

What degrees I may have are totally irrelevant to my work.

So this all comes across as useless paper-make-work for the bureaucrats. Or to make them look active before new government job appraisals. What <deleted>.

Syphilis is the least of my happily married worries.

Edited by animatic

I have been closely associated with Thailand for over 20 years, and I have to think long and hard to see a single step the government bureaucracy has made towards first world efficiency.

What a ridiculous comment!

Of course I haven't applied for a Thai passport, as I'm not Thai.

And only an extremely tiny percentage of immigrants to Thailand ever reach that 'nirvana'!

As far as a drivers licence is concerned, there is indisputably less bureaucracy for a Thai getting a licence in my country than vica verca.

There is however far more testing of actual driving ability, but that is another matter :-)

Ever applied for a UK working visa when not married to a UK citizen?

Yes I have actually. Applied and got a working holiday visa to the UK. It was a breeze as I remember.

Naiharn, you're right regards Working Holiday Visas - Australia only allows degree holders of a certain age and only for one year!

No electricians welcome!

Oh, sorry, you meant Thailand!!

From the Australian Immigration Website:

Aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) - this means you can apply for a visa when you are 30 years of age;

If you have any dependent children they will not be able to be to accompany you in Australia while you hold the visa;

You must have sufficient funds (generally deemed to be at least- AU$5,000) to support your trip and purchase a return airfare;

Additionally, for Thailand:

• You must hold a degree or post high school diploma from an accredited institution;

• You must provide documentary evidence of your English level when you lodge your visa application; and

You must obtain a letter of approval from the Office of Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups in Bangkok.

Get your 'facts' straight.

Thanks for the clarification Sunbelt :)

I would point out though that the form section 3.3 does use the word OR :-

Copy of certificate of education OR

Recommendation from previous employer OR

Recommendation from prospective employer

To emigrate to the US you have to take an HIV test and a TB test and show lung x-rays. I wonder why they don't test for these things too? Syphilis seems a bit odd, but then I guess they are worried about people with untreated syphilis? goodness knows there appear to be enough crazy westerners in Thailand, don't need any extras.

To all concerned:

I have just consulted with Khun Chollada of Pattaya International Law Service Centre. I have been advised "not to worry" about this new work permit requirement information posted here!

Go and see her if you are still uncertain.

Regards and good day

What a ridiculous comment!

Of course I haven't applied for a Thai passport, as I'm not Thai.

And only an extremely tiny percentage of immigrants to Thailand ever reach that 'nirvana'!

As far as a drivers licence is concerned, there is indisputably less bureaucracy for a Thai getting a licence in my country than vica verca.

There is however far more testing of actual driving ability, but that is another matter :-)

Ever applied for a UK working visa when not married to a UK citizen?

Yes I have actually. Applied and got a working holiday visa to the UK. It was a breeze as I remember.

I agree with all your statements. And it is true about the actual driving test- maybe this is a reason that Thai roads are so dangerous... the drivers are not really tested properly. I would like to point-out however that the Work Permit and a Working Holiday visa are not the same thing. I also had no problem getting a Working Holiday visa for the UK, but this is because I am a Common Wealth citizen, and again, it is not actually a Work Permit.

Naiharn, you're right regards Working Holiday Visas - Australia only allows degree holders of a certain age and only for one year!

No electricians welcome!

Oh, sorry, you meant Thailand!!

From the Australian Immigration Website:

Aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) - this means you can apply for a visa when you are 30 years of age;

If you have any dependent children they will not be able to be to accompany you in Australia while you hold the visa;

You must have sufficient funds (generally deemed to be at least- AU$5,000) to support your trip and purchase a return airfare;

Additionally, for Thailand:

• You must hold a degree or post high school diploma from an accredited institution;

• You must provide documentary evidence of your English level when you lodge your visa application; and

You must obtain a letter of approval from the Office of Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups in Bangkok.

Get your 'facts' straight.

Maybe you should also get your facts straight.

Australia only requires a 'post high school diploma'. A hair dressing diploma is a post high school diploma. There is a world of difference between that and a degree.

And not all working holiday visas are limited to twelve months as you claim.

To emigrate to the US you have to take an HIV test and a TB test and show lung x-rays. I wonder why they don't test for these things too? Syphilis seems a bit odd, but then I guess they are worried about people with untreated syphilis? goodness knows there appear to be enough crazy westerners in Thailand, don't need any extras.

I think you are referring to immigrants as those who emigrate are leaving...

And what does that have to do with the issue at hand as 99.999999 percent of foreigners coming here to work are on a NON-immigrant visa? :blink:

Maybe the govt. would like a stool sample as well....

I think you are referring to immigrants as those who emigrate are leaving...

And what does that have to do with the issue at hand as 99.999999 percent of foreigners coming here to work are on a NON-immigrant visa? :blink:

Maybe the govt. would like a stool sample as well....

I was just noting the illogicality of the syphilis test as opposed to other tests that would make more sense, which point seems to have been totally missed.

Not saying I expect logic, mind you, just that they could be requiring more tests than they already do if we were going to compare it to how other countries work.

Ah, the 'sky is falling crowd' is up early this morning.

THE 'I'VE WORKED EVERYWHERE AND IT HAS NEVER BEEN AS HARD AS THIS' GUY

- We've got an British citizen (with EU treaty rights) stating how 'easy' it was for him to get WP's for other EU countries, ignoring the fact (deliberately and disingenuously)that these things are automatic for him, given his rights as an EU citizen. He uses this a comparison with Thailand....

- This same bloke should ask check back at his own home country (the UK) and the absolute balls up they made of the Highly Skilled Migrant Permit visa, which made a number of radical changes through the life of the visa, changes which at one point meant that people who'd been living in the UK for 3 years were also of a sudden 'unqualified' to live there and were forced to move home. It took a High Court challenge for the Home Office to change their tune on that one.

THE "I'M HERE TO HELP THOSE POOR THAI FOLK" DOCTOR

- Then we have a Doctor from the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave (etc) get all worked up that it has taken him THREE WHOLE MONTHS to basically get nowhere. This despite the fact that if a foreign doctor wants go to the US they have to re-qualify and many of them work as nurses while they go through this process. A process which can take years, and years.

- Perhaps this doctor wants to try out working as a nurse first in a Thai hospital. That way he can both help people AND screw pretty Thai girls?

AND THE REST OF YOU - IT IS A MARKETING EXERCISE

And then we have the rest of the mob.....getting worked up over the fact when the reality is that that all this thread is about is a marketing exercise by Sunbelt.

What they've done is left out a rather unimportant piece of information that somewhere in the OP to get you all worked up so you go running into his arms (for a fee of course).

Clever marketing I guess, but I guess he knows how to get the TV crowd who are scared of their own shadows in Thailand to run to his arms.

Thanks for your summary.

You forgot the guy who says a syphillis test is a veiled HIV test. One has to have some imagination to come with this! I also liked the one who said he can't feed his wife and daughter any more now... LOL!

The only change seems to be that IF you say you have a degree, you need to show the certificate. I am surprised this is news, I gave them copies because I said I had them. The more signifant change is the size of the photograph from 2 inch to the more reasonable and international-standard "passport size", as they can make you run out and get a new picture before they accept the application, thus costing you at least half an hour of time.

Edited by tombkk

That is why I bring my 5 certificates to Thailand.

One question?

If my certificates are in French, are they going to accept them?

I had my German certs translated. Why would you expect a government officer (in any country) to read many languages?

Maybe you should also get your facts straight.

Australia only requires a 'post high school diploma'. A hair dressing diploma is a post high school diploma. There is a world of difference between that and a degree.

And not all working holiday visas are limited to twelve months as you claim.

Er, um,....no it doesn't. The rules are more stringent than that, unless you are saying 'hair dressing' is counted as a tertiary degree?

The requirements below for a Thai person to go to Australia on a Work AND holiday visa, as opposed to a Working Holiday visa which has traditionally been available to Brits and EU'ers.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/thailand/eligibility.htm

You may be eligible for this visa if you:

-are aged 18 to 30 years (inclusive) on the date you apply

-hold a Thai passport

-meet educational requirements

-have functional English

-have a letter of support from your government

-are not accompanied by dependent children

-have not previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday (417) or Work and Holiday (462) visa

-meet character, health and evidence of funds requirements.

Education requirements

You must hold tertiary qualifications.

Tertiary qualifications include the following:

Doctoral degree

Masters degree

Graduate diploma

Graduate certificate

Bachelor degree

Associate degree

Advanced diploma

Diploma level qualifications.

Note: Tertiary qualifications do not include the following:

Certificate IV

Certificate III

Certificate II

Certificate I

senior secondary school level qualifications.

Functional English requirements

You must have functional English and provide documentary evidence of your English level when you lodge your visa application. Otherwise, you may be refused the visa.

You must provide evidence that you have done one of the following:

Achieved an IELTS average band score of at least 4.5 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening in a test conducted no more than two years before lodging the visa application. For visa purposes you only need to sit the General Training Module.

Achieved a TOEFL score of 133 on a computer based test, or 450 on a paper based test or 45-46 on an internet-based test, no more than two years before lodging the visa application.

Passed the Occupational English Test no more than two years before lodging the visa application.

Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education at an educational institution in which all instruction was in English.

Completed at least five years of secondary education (high school) at an educational institution in which all instruction was in English.

Completed a post-secondary qualification that required at least two years of full-time study or training, in which all tuition was in English.

Successfully completed, in Australia, at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma or associate diploma at an institution or institutions where all the instruction was in English.

Edited by samran