New Work Permit Requirements From The Labor Department

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did not come here to live just to drink, party, and screw the lovely ladies.

Well, ok.

But I have had nothing but trouble and resistance since I came just 3 months ago. I am strongly considering leaving and going to Mexico-where I speak the language. And at least when a Mexican f**ks you, he gives you the courtesy of a reach around!

A whole 3 months? You expect that everything to bend to your demands when you've been here for 3 months? Unless you're registered to practice in Thailand already how could you honestly think that any hospital would be interested? Even qualified Thai people need time to gain trust of employers or business partners when starting out in new roles. First start by building up contacts of Thai medical pracitioners. Also your attitude about Thailand and Mexico begs the question why do you even bother if that how you think you'll be treated? In any case I don't understand how this relates to the Work Permit rules?

Writing a letter or emailing will do NOTHING.

Go to these places in person and talk to people whole can recognize your skills. Everything in Thailand is face to face assessment before ANY papers have relevance. No chance a Thai will hire you, or sign off, or give advice, if they haven't seen you themselves.

And as noted 3 months will give you absolutely no handle on the Thai mentality and ways. Mexicans will be more likely to understand a Western mind set, since they are more used to them with USA right next door.

It is simply bizarre for medical facilities/organizations that purport themselves to be "world class" to not respond with at least a quick email to acknowledge the persons inquiry/ time/ efforts. I am familiar with someone in a similar situation that did indeed visit multiple facilities "in person" face to face, provide cover letter, resume and educational documents only to NEVER again hear from them. To the contrary, the very same person emailed Taiwan National University School of Medicine with an inquiry at 5AM and had a very courteous and eloquent response from the Dean himself within 5 hours.

In the case of the OP, he is a seasoned practitioner that is offering voluntary expertise, not a fledgeling student knocking on doors for opportunities. Medical facilities that expound their professionalism and expertise but fail to provide even a courtesy followup note "boggle the mind" and in addition contradicts their self purported professionalism.

I suspect part of the issue may be the lower level people dealt with face to face that simply fail to follow up at appropriate levels, attitude, lack of motivation, laziness, competence, etc etc. not to mention a system in which "connections' is often crucially important.

Edited by atyclb

To emigrate to the US you have to take an HIV test and a TB test and show lung x-rays. I wonder why they don't test for these things too? Syphilis seems a bit odd, but then I guess they are worried about people with untreated syphilis? goodness knows there appear to be enough crazy westerners in Thailand, don't need any extras.

I think you are referring to immigrants as those who emigrate are leaving...

And what does that have to do with the issue at hand as 99.999999 percent of foreigners coming here to work are on a NON-immigrant visa? :blink:

Maybe the govt. would like a stool sample as well....

I was just noting the illogicality of the syphilis test as opposed to other tests that would make more sense, which point seems to have been totally missed.

Not saying I expect logic, mind you, just that they could be requiring more tests than they already do if we were going to compare it to how other countries work.

I see your point, when my wife got her green card I remember she had to do a physical exam which looked for any tattoos on the body, good thing they don't do that here for many of the expat's sake with the new religious tattoo initiative; I've seen more tattoos here than in the Navy :lol:

It's pretty obvious that they want us here if we can 'prove our worth' so to speak but don't want us here if we can't!! Also, maybe fewer people will bother to get a work permit and this will lead to extra 'revenue' to the usual suspects when finding Aliens working without said permit!!!

Thailand, still proving to be ultra Nationalistic, inward looking and backwards, just what one should expect from a 3rd world mentality with an old elite in control. :(

Where ya from freddy? You one of those Brits that gets all riled up with all the foreigners coming to the UK to live on the benefits that your tax provides? The ones that work illegally? The ones that the BNP stirs the pot on? The ones that the centrist UK government turns a blind eye to?

Don't you just love it here freddy?

It's pretty obvious that they want us here if we can 'prove our worth' so to speak but don't want us here if we can't!! Also, maybe fewer people will bother to get a work permit and this will lead to extra 'revenue' to the usual suspects when finding Aliens working without said permit!!!

Thailand, still proving to be ultra Nationalistic, inward looking and backwards, just what one should expect from a 3rd world mentality with an old elite in control. :(

Before you lament over what you call the 3rd world mentality - spend a few thoughts on how it works in any of the 1st worlds. Can anybody just come and get a work permit without proving by any means that he is qualified for the job? If you apply for a job in your home country, do you mention your degree in your resume and attach some documents to it?

Some people bash on Thailand as a 3rd world country every and each time it makes a step closer to the first world.

If you are married to a USA citizen and get a green card then you do not need a work permit.

"Drop you wallets off at the airport and go back home ." is the motto of LOS.

LOL. That advice was the same way back when all that foreigners came here for was sex. Now, 40 years on, it's the same advice to people trying to actually work here. Why bother? Just get laid here but get a real job in a real economy somewhere else.

Just saying.

There is no requirement for a degree to get a WP.

If one however claims to have a degree then one has to be able to show the proper certs showing it.

Easy as pie.

So if its not a requirement then just dont show one..

If true hardly worth the urgent thread and breaking news email alert.

It is if you are a TEFL'd brickie from Scunthorpe who has just moved #74 from Misty's into his no-window flat in Klongtoey or the former cabbie who is moonlighting as a manager at NEP while he waits for his mate to bring his transcripts over.

Honestly, this is bordering on the ridiculous!

I have applied for my work permit since the 21st of March '11 and until now, I have still not received it! I have no idea why and the labour office are not giving out any reasons. Funnily enough, when I asked them if I don't get my work permit before my visa runs out in a few days, i was told that my visa is not their problem. I suspect they will ask me for all this new information, cause delays and then I'll have to start the whole process again. More money in the Thai systems pockets.

I have to ask, how many of us expats have copies or access to our education certificates? I know I didn't carry them with me to LOS! I don't have a degree and my previous employer here in Thailand has closed his business and moved away some years ago, so where does that leave me?

It feels like another "tea money tax" coming in for all of us expats that don't fit the criteria. As some of the replies state, it seems that Thailand is constantly making it more difficult for us to live here, work here even after police visiting me for "monetary gifts" or free products. I am sure we will be able to pay if we don't have the qualifications but I have to ask, I am 40+ year old and cant think what my educational qualifications have to do with setting up a business here.. ...anyone?

"Extensions of work permits (WP 5) will now also require a map to the office and a medical certificate. The medical certificate is valid for only 6 months so annual renewal of work permits will now require a new medical certificate including the exam for the usual diseases and the syphilis test."

Really!! what has my health got to do with this and the diseases they check for are a joke too! We all know it is easy to go to a doctor and get a med cert without any testing done. Just another money making scam for us expats to dance to. Is it not enough that we pay through the nose to set up our business's? It's like a we're in a living circus with us jumping through very small hoops of fire whilst doused in petrol!

I can understand why more and more expats leave Thailand but then again, isn't this what "they want" because if it is not, some one is doing a sure fire job to make it feel this way.

Isn't it enough that us business owners that go through all the correct motions, spend money, employ thai staff, travel back and forth for visas, pay tea money, pay our taxes to make business get so much red tape when their attention should be on those that don't have work permits and just seem to be left quietly alone - what gives????

"Drop you wallets off at the airport and go back home ." is the motto of LOS.

This a whole new ball game. So they are implying that anyone who doesn't have a degree Blah Blah Blah will not get a work Permit ? So all these people who invest ZILLIONS into this country will no longer be accepted ? Does this include the mafia ? Looks like more ex-pats might be asking their loved ones to vote for Thaksin's entourage back in, since he has said will make things easier for Farangs ?

Can you point us to where he said this? If i remember correctly he was in office when they doubled the marriage and retirement extension requirements and made it where Americans had to make 50,000 per month to get a business visa. I also remember it being mentioned that one of his classmates said that Thaksin hated falangs.

I remember reading somewhere that the new Syphilis test that's going to be introduced is really a veiled test for HIV. I can't remember where I read it, maybe it was on here somewhere.

Could maybe make more sense.

While testing is Always Good [TM], why test coming employees for a disease that is very rare among people who'd apply for working permits, only transmits by very close contact and is easily curable, in primary stages with a single shot?

Keeping the DNA for a future register, maybe?

It's more sinister than that, people who are HIV+ can show up as a false positive for certain types of Syphilis.

Sinister?

Use condoms.

Religiously.

am i from a different part of thailand to everyone else??? , i have had a WP for the last 6 years and have NEVER shown a Uni Degree, my Medical has never involved more then a doctor checking to see if i breath !! ....

i think this is a load of old hype, and shouldnt have been posted by sunbelt ...

a friend is getting a new work permit next week, so i will report back if these ' new ' rules are in fact happening

am i from a different part of thailand to everyone else??? , i have had a WP for the last 6 years and have NEVER shown a Uni Degree, my Medical has never involved more then a doctor checking to see if i breath !! ....

i think this is a load of old hype, and shouldnt have been posted by sunbelt ...

a friend is getting a new work permit next week, so i will report back if these ' new ' rules are in fact happening

I pick up my 2-year renewal tmw. I will see if they ask for the medical. (I went today and got one, just in case!)

Unbelievable.

Spot on and totally blatant discrimination. There again Thailand's Human Rights record is appalling. How many Thai bar, restaurant, hotel, vendor owners have to have a Uni Degree to operate a business? Cheer up folks, after the election there will be very little business to do in Thailand anyway, unless you are a gunman, nurse of doctor. Thailand wants to be one of the business power houses of Asia, but I can't see it if they continue to make life unnecessarily difficult for those who want to bring work to the Country. I understand the administration in Cambodia is far less tiresome than Thailand, so see you all there in a couple of years time, if not before.

Maybe you should also get your facts straight.

Australia only requires a 'post high school diploma'. A hair dressing diploma is a post high school diploma. There is a world of difference between that and a degree.

And not all working holiday visas are limited to twelve months as you claim.

Er, um,....no it doesn't. The rules are more stringent than that, unless you are saying 'hair dressing' is counted as a tertiary degree?

The requirements below for a Thai person to go to Australia on a Work AND holiday visa, as opposed to a Working Holiday visa which has traditionally been available to Brits and EU'ers.

http://www.immi.gov....eligibility.htm

You may be eligible for this visa if you:

-are aged 18 to 30 years (inclusive) on the date you apply

-hold a Thai passport

-meet educational requirements

-have functional English

-have a letter of support from your government

-are not accompanied by dependent children

-have not previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday (417) or Work and Holiday (462) visa

-meet character, health and evidence of funds requirements.

Education requirements

You must hold tertiary qualifications.

Tertiary qualifications include the following:

Doctoral degree

Masters degree

Graduate diploma

Graduate certificate

Bachelor degree

Associate degree

Advanced diploma

Diploma level qualifications.

My point remains is that a Thai can qualify for this scheme without having a degree. An advanced diploma and 'diploma level qualifications' are not a degree!

Here is an example of a diploma course:

http://www.cengage.e...technology.aspx

Before you lament over what you call the 3rd world mentality - spend a few thoughts on how it works in any of the 1st worlds. Can anybody just come and get a work permit without proving by any means that he is qualified for the job? If you apply for a job in your home country, do you mention your degree in your resume and attach some documents to it?

Some people bash on Thailand as a 3rd world country every and each time it makes a step closer to the first world.

As a uk citizen i have had work permits in france, germany, switzerland, austria, I dont recall being asked for a degree in any of these countrys.

The way you write it it sounds as if in those countries work permits can be obtained like bus tickets. But as citizen of the countries you mention I can guarantee it is not. I'm tempted to mention that the fact you don't recall... is not any proof that you or your employer did not have had to submit any documents showing that you had a degree. But I don't want to get in an argument with you about this.

There's no need for a work permit being a construction worker, or something similar in Germany, or any other European countries. But I pretty much doubt that you could teach at a school in Germany, just being from the UK.........:jap:

I would imagine "New applicants for work permits will now be required to provide proof of their Education Certificate (BA, BS, MA, MS, PhD) and a reference letter from the previous employer confirming employment." is going to be a big problem for bar and restaurant owners who don't have a university education.

'Education Certificate'........dosnt state degree...O'levels, C.S.E.s G.C.S.E.s, A'Levels, any college certificate will probablt suffice...lets not jump to conclusions.

Unbelievable.

Spot on and totally blatant discrimination. There again Thailand's Human Rights record is appalling. How many Thai bar, restaurant, hotel, vendor owners have to have a Uni Degree to operate a business? Cheer up folks, after the election there will be very little business to do in Thailand anyway, unless you are a gunman, nurse of doctor. Thailand wants to be one of the business power houses of Asia, but I can't see it if they continue to make life unnecessarily difficult for those who want to bring work to the Country. I understand the administration in Cambodia is far less tiresome than Thailand, so see you all there in a couple of years time, if not before.

Ah yes, we have a winner! The "discrimination - I'm going to Cambodia" post. You forgot the "nail in the coffin" line. I would have given you a 10/10 for that.

You'd do well to go back and read the previous couple of pages. There is nothing controversial.

As it turns out is that if you claim to have a degree, you must show one. If you don't have a degree, then don't claim it, and no need to show it.

If you have only finished 4th grade, like most of the 'sky is falling' mob, then you can still get a work permit.

My point remains is that a Thai can qualify for this scheme without having a degree. An advanced diploma and 'diploma level qualifications' are not a degree!

Here is an example of a diploma course:

http://www.cengage.e...technology.aspx

Seems you've highlighted a good point. The programme seems to have evolved since I looked at it last. Back when it was first signed, I recall that Thai's basically had to be university grads, and only from a select top tier set of universities. Appears that they've significantly relaxed the rules. Not a bad thing when it comes to WHV's in my opinion...

Naiharn, you're right regards Working Holiday Visas - Australia only allows degree holders of a certain age and only for one year!

No electricians welcome!

Oh, sorry, you meant Thailand!!

From the Australian Immigration Website:

Aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) - this means you can apply for a visa when you are 30 years of age;

If you have any dependent children they will not be able to be to accompany you in Australia while you hold the visa;

You must have sufficient funds (generally deemed to be at least- AU$5,000) to support your trip and purchase a return airfare;

Additionally, for Thailand:

• You must hold a degree or post high school diploma from an accredited institution;

• You must provide documentary evidence of your English level when you lodge your visa application; and

You must obtain a letter of approval from the Office of Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups in Bangkok.

Get your 'facts' straight.

Australia only requires a 'post high school diploma'. A hair dressing diploma is a post high school diploma. There is a world of difference between that and a degree.

Correct, it does work a little better in favor of Thais coming to Australia. Ie they can work for a single employer for 6 months (for Australias in Thailand only 3 months with one employer). BUT they also need a letter of support from the Government and to prove their English ability.

I have applied for the working holiday visa for Thailand. All I needed to show was my University degree and the minimum funds required. No need to have any level of Thai language skills, no reference from the Australian governement etc. So it goes a little both way.

Only issue is that Thailand take their sweet time processing the applications. Mine has been in since February and still 'no decision' from Thailand back to the Thai Embassy in Canberra. Hopefully it's been decided on by November when I go back to see my family. But who knows!

Australia would process it in a timely manner. 5 months is well I guess Thai style of doing things.

The difference many are forgetting is that most Westerners don't want to do those 'blue collar' jobs back in their home country, or being cleaning maids, etc. Every country wants to only let in those who will contribute something to their society. True we don't drain any financial resources from the Government when we are here (or are ever entitle too), but we do have an effect on infrastructure just by being here and using it, which already can;'t really support the thai population (same as back in Australia).

I don't see a problem for requiring a degree when a degree should be required for the job (no different to back home). I'm sure people without a degree can contribute something as well (but likely more often not). A degree is an easy way to decide whether someone is likely to have something to offer without subjective 'work experience' and someone relying on their gauge of how siginificant this is. As everything it all comes down to the paper you have to show what you know. (or SHOULD know).

Have now had time for a closer look at the documents appended by Sunbelt.

Regarding form WP1 for new work permits what the form actually says under Documents Checklist in Thai only is as follows:

4. Copies of evidence of education and copies of evidence of work experience. (In case these are not available the applicant must complete the form, as specified in the regulations)."

5. Copy of professional licence, in cases where the law requires a licence to practise a particular profession.

Further down the form there is another similar list of documents in English and Thai as follows:

3.3 Copy of certificate of education,or

Recommendation of previous employer describing nature of work and working period of an applicant who was employed, or

Recommendation of a prospective employer describing that an applicant has proper knowledge and experience for engaging the work.

I can't see any wording that suggests that applicants must have a degree to apply for a work permit. In fact the form seems to provide several options for employees who don't have evidence of their education or work experience. It also seems that the prospective employer is permitted to make the argument for employers who can't provide any evidence of their education or work experience. Looking at a checklist that I translated from WP1 several years ago I note that copies of educational certificates was a requirement then.

Perhaps Sunbelt was told by the Labour Ministry that they are going to demand documentation way over what they request on their apparently new forms. Otherwise I think this could have been a poorly worded post written by a farang at Sunbelt who hadn't examined the forms before appendeding them.

I have been closely associated with Thailand for over 20 years, and I have to think long and hard to see a single step the government bureaucracy has made towards first world efficiency.

you haven't looked very hard then.

Clearly you've never applied for a Thai passport or ID card or Drivers License.

Especially the passports, wonderfully efficient. No forms to fill in. E-passport, three days later. Better than anything I've experienced in Australia or the UK.

Ever applied for a UK working visa when not married to a UK citizen? An absolute joke. And recently, they've actually restricted the number of work permits they've handed out to 1500 per month!

Imagine of Thailand did a similar thing. I suspect the Thai Visa servers would go into meltdown with the confection rage of the TV punters...

I am also impressed by the service provided by government offices that are used almost exclusively by Thai citizens who are nowadays viewed at voters who can cause trouble for the politicians in charge at the various ministries. District offices and driver and vehicle licensing centres issue documents almost instantaneously at nil or a nominal cost. Unfortunately it is a very different story at government offices that are patronised exclusively by foreigners, including Immigration and the Labour Ministry's work permit offices. Prices are relatively high and service is often abominable. Working methods have often not been changed for decades, e.g. the red alien books issued since the 20s that you have to keep for the rest of your life but they fall to pieces after a few years. What is galling is to know that government departments are capable of giving excellent service to the public, yet choose not to in the case of foreigners.

I don't know if any mentioned this before, didn't have time to read all post but I saw some questions in the beginning regarding the degree.

The degree is actually only needed if you are looking to work for an employer in Thailand as I understand from the documents. If you are starting your own business you need to show evidence that you have experience and skills in the proposed business activity, which leaves the matter open to interpretation by officer and hence.......

For example opening a dive shop or teaching business for a diver or a teacher with experience should not be a problem I think?

Naiharn, you're right regards Working Holiday Visas - Australia only allows degree holders of a certain age and only for one year!

No electricians welcome!

Oh, sorry, you meant Thailand!!

From the Australian Immigration Website:

Aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) - this means you can apply for a visa when you are 30 years of age;

If you have any dependent children they will not be able to be to accompany you in Australia while you hold the visa;

You must have sufficient funds (generally deemed to be at least- AU$5,000) to support your trip and purchase a return airfare;

Additionally, for Thailand:

• You must hold a degree or post high school diploma from an accredited institution;

• You must provide documentary evidence of your English level when you lodge your visa application; and

You must obtain a letter of approval from the Office of Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups in Bangkok.

Get your 'facts' straight.

Correct, it does work a little better in favor of Thais coming to Australia. Ie they can work for a single employer for 6 months (for Australias in Thailand only 3 months with one employer). BUT they also need a letter of support from the Government and to prove their English ability.

I have applied for the working holiday visa for Thailand. All I needed to show was my University degree and the minimum funds required. No need to have any level of Thai language skills, no reference from the Australian governement etc. So it goes a little both way.

Only issue is that Thailand take their sweet time processing the applications. Mine has been in since February and still 'no decision' from Thailand back to the Thai Embassy in Canberra. Hopefully it's been decided on by November when I go back to see my family. But who knows!

Australia would process it in a timely manner. 5 months is well I guess Thai style of doing things.

The difference many are forgetting is that most Westerners don't want to do those 'blue collar' jobs back in their home country, or being cleaning maids, etc. Every country wants to only let in those who will contribute something to their society. True we don't drain any financial resources from the Government when we are here (or are ever entitle too), but we do have an effect on infrastructure just by being here and using it, which already can;'t really support the thai population (same as back in Australia).

I don't see a problem for requiring a degree when a degree should be required for the job (no different to back home). I'm sure people without a degree can contribute something as well (but likely more often not). A degree is an easy way to decide whether someone is likely to have something to offer without subjective 'work experience' and someone relying on their gauge of how siginificant this is. As everything it all comes down to the paper you have to show what you know. (or SHOULD know).

It seems I may have worded my original comment on this subject badly. I really meant to point out that for some people who wish to work in Thailand a degree is officially required. Yes, Australia does require, more-or-less (though a little less), the same thing in reverse, thanks to Samran for making that clear.

As regards the English language requirement versus no-Thai-requirement, a person coming to work in Australia really does need to know English

to do most jobs. There is no hope of surviving just in Thai, unless you work totally in Thai restaurants. The reverse is not true. There are plenty of jobs an Australian can do in Thailand with no Thai language skills, simply because English is so widely used in Thailand.

Regarding 'blue collar' jobs, and no-one wanting to do them in their home country. There are plenty of blue collar jobs in Australia that are highly regarded, and can be extremely well paid: e.g. electrician, plumber, miner, tradesman in mining industry. None of them require a degree. There might be many such people who would like to do such a job in Thailand but can't under the work & holiday arrangements. On the other hand I doubt any highly paid tradesman would bother with a scheme that only allows him 3 months (with peanuts for pay) in a particular job.

Good luck with your four month old application. Given that passports now only take 3 days, you should get your visa any day now! :)

I have it on good authority that is far easier and less bureaucratic to get long-stay visas and work permits in China than in Thailand. Now Thais tend to be very proud of their country. Wonder how they think when it's pointed out that they look more insular, paranoid and bureaucratic than the world's largest and most notorious Communist Dictatorship?

absolutely.

i lived and worked in china and it was relatively easy, and same for some friends of mine who got a student visa.

oh and if you pay them well there's also plenty of visa agencies involved in dodgy operations and gray areas...

as far as farang visas are concerned, only myanmar beats thailand.

I have had WP and been a Civil Servant working for Ministry of Interior and years ago worked illegally as teacher (before grad school). once recently... one woman officer strangely asked to see my proof of education on a WP renewal. It was the 'interview' part and the company lawyer representing me looked baffled as did I. After a long silence I asked if there was any way around it cause it was not easy to do and in fact had never been asked for before. She said "No. You must show proof of education (BA and MBA).

I went back to the office and took my framed diplomas off the wall and went back in and put them on her desk. They covered the desk. We all laughed and she instructed some girl to make photocopies. Then I was granted the renewal and we left. Sometimes they even make up whatever rules they feel like right there on the spot, depending on the horoscope, perhaps.

Is it now an absolute requirement of a WP to have a degree ??

If not why is 'proof' required ??

Sunbelt Legal Advisors are a team of International Advisors working together with Thai Licensed Lawyers to bring you accurate advice and definitive legal services regarding all your requirements for living and working in Thailand . We offer competitive rates on company set-up and registration, work permits, one year visa, accounting, virtual offices, and more. We are a full service business, legal and property center for foreigners.

I'm amazed that Sunbelt came up with the story. Isn't it in their deepest interest to sort visas ans work permits out? :jap:

It would have been very surprising indeed if they would have made it faster, more transparent, more fair (like allowing foreigners to access the social system if they pay taxes or to allow 100% ownership if we already have to come up with 100% of the money) - but NO, everything just gets more complicated and xenophobic.

This is one of the reason why next year, I will stop doing business here, I will fire my 3 Thai employees and luckily stop having to pay the ridiculous prices for all the necessary processes of applications, 'renewals', visa runs (which I still had to do for reasons no one could explain to me) every 3 months etc. etc. etc.

Thailand to the Thais - there you go.

Thailand, country of the Free - what a cynical joke.

There are other beautiful countries around which welcome foreign capital (be it financial or intellectual capital) with open arms, and where at least 50% of the population can speak more English than 'elo weh do you cam fom'.

Edited by pepi2005

I am not sure why people are filling up this thread with irrelevant posts about the requirements for foreigners to work in Australia. Why not post this stuff on a website about foreigners living and working in Australia where they might actually be of interest?

For those who are still interested in applying for or renewing work permits in Thailand all the forms are available here in clean printable format on the Department of Employment's website as opposed the virtually illegible scans provided by the OP. http://wp.doe.go.th/downloadform

I note that syphilis test required is still only tertiary stage syphilis. So it should still be possible to test positive for it and present a medical certificate to the effect that you are only in stage 1 or 2 which is acceptable. LOL.

What the OP didn't point out and which might be of some significance is the appearance of this question in forms WP1 and WP5:

"Work recommendation of prospective employer describing reason for not employing a person of Thai nationality together with supporting evidences."

It is only speculation at this point but this could indeed be the thin end of the wedge. One can easily envisage Labour Ministry officials puzzling over why a monoglot farang with only high school education and no evidence even of that needs to be employed when there are thousands of Thai bachelors degree and master degree graduates in a relevant discipline who would love to do the job for a fraction of the salary. It is not clear what supporting evidences (sic) will be acceptable on this point. Other countries require evidence that the position was advertised in suitable media and that no locals with appropriate qualifications and experience applied.

It would have been very surprising indeed if they would have made it faster, more transparent, more fair (like allowing foreigners to access the social system if they pay taxes or to allow 100% ownership if we already have to come up with 100% of the money) - but NO, everything just gets more complicated and xenophobic.

You have full access to the social security system, if you pay social tax which is compulsory for all employees now, including company directors since last year. You get a social security card which you can use for medical treatment and you can claim a pension with at least 15 years' contribution in the unlikely event there is anything left in the fund to pay out by then.

There are other beautiful countries around which welcome foreign capital (be it financial or intellectual capital) with open arms, and where at least 50% of the population can speak more English than 'elo weh do you cam fom'.

It is pretty obvious which elements of Thai society you associate with. You would probably find conversation with them easier, if you troubled to learn the language.