Drinking And Lifestyle

RickThai

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Girls who like everybody!!! That is so cute. How would you say that in Thai, Puying chop tuk khun?

สาวที่ชอบทุกคน = Sauw ti chop tuk khon :jap:

That's my man. You've done your home work. But 'sao' is not Thai - it is Lao/Isan. A BKK lady of the night should be properly adressed as a หญิง or สตรี.

Yours faithfully,

ph

Girls who like everybody!!! That is so cute. How would you say that in Thai, Puying chop tuk khun?

สาวที่ชอบทุกคน = Sauw tee chop tuk khon :jap:

chop ??? or alloy?? Smiles

cannibalism??!! :(

That's my man. You've done your home work. But 'sao' is not Thai - it is Lao/Isan. A BKK lady of the night should be properly adressed as a หญิง or สตรี.

Yours faithfully,

ph

Thanks PH, I learn every day! :rolleyes:

Maybe we could start having AA meetings in the gogo bars? ;)

RESPONSE

Soooo funny!

ENDQUOTE

? Its not unusual to have meetings in bars, is it?

SC

Is it?

Personally, I'd rather go to Suzie Wong's than the Dubliners

EDIT: Apologies for ballsing up the quotes

สาวที่ชอบทุกคน = Sauw tee chop tuk khon :jap:

chop ??? or alloy?? Smiles

cannibalism??!! :(

Not at all. There are several ladies I know that always taste massage oil before buying the bottle (not too mention edible undergarments.

In fun,

RickThai

Yours faithfully,

ph

Calla prostitute สตรี :lol: You're joking I hope.

How long have you lived here?

khun means 'you'.

Apparently longer than you, ทุกคน took khun means everyone. Have someone who speaks Thai pronounce it for you.

khun means 'you'.

Apparently longer than you, ทุกคน took khun means everyone. Have someone who speaks Thai pronounce it for you.

?? I speak fluent Thai - lived here for 2 decades - you(well i doubt it) wrote in thai'took khon', not khun(as you transliterated it as). This is what one learns in kindergaten, well maybe prathom 1.

To be more polite one can use ทุกท่าน.

Edited by saraburioz

I wonder if the mods could move this to the "I speak better Thai than you" subforum.

Its under the "How long is yours ;.;" forum

Or, at the very least the Thai language forum.

I find that engaging in futile bickering with strangers sometimes gets me worked up, and encourages me to drink.

I find that if I let other people's stupidity pass me by, or if I can laugh about it quietly to myself, there is less temptation to drink.

I would like to post something scathing, but it would be just futile point-scoring, with no benefit to myself or others...

But please, feel free to deride that all you want - I apologise that I already know it is wrong and I won't feel offended.

SC

khun means 'you'.

?? I speak fluent Thai - lived here for 2 decades - you(well i doubt it) wrote in thai'took khon', not khun(as you transliterated it as). This is what one learns in kindergaten, well maybe prathom 1.

To be more polite one can use ทุกท่าน.

I realize you get pleasure in mocking people hence the dig to me, “how long have you lived here?”

I don't know if you have a problem drinking but that is what this forum is about. It is not about mocking people for the difference between khon or khun. Most people would not hear the difference said in normal conversation anyway.

If you want to demonstrate your superiority in phonetic spelling good for you but I suggest this thread is not really the place.

I have never figured out the motivation of the spelling freaks that take delight in correcting a persons spelling. It must take some perverse sense of humor or mean streak that I don't have because that is what you are talking about here. The phonetic difference in spelling khun or khon.

I sincerely hope you don't have a problem drinking because with hangups like khun or khon it is going to be a rough road for you. But if you do have a problem drinking I wish you luck in conquering it. And if you don't have a problem drinking what the heck are you doing posting on this forum???

I wonder if the mods could move this to the "I speak better Thai than you" subforum.

Its under the "How long is yours ;.;" forum

Or, at the very least the Thai language forum.

I find that engaging in futile bickering with strangers sometimes gets me worked up, and encourages me to drink.

I find that if I let other people's stupidity pass me by, or if I can laugh about it quietly to myself, there is less temptation to drink.

I would like to post something scathing, but it would be just futile point-scoring, with no benefit to myself or others...

But please, feel free to deride that all you want - I apologise that I already know it is wrong and I won't feel offended.

SC

Agreed SC, no derision here and this is certainly not the place to discuss the intricacies of speaking or writing Thai. Unless of course we discuss the differences of speaking/writing Thai, sober vs. drunk.

ANOTHER POSTER:

I realize you get pleasure in mocking people hence the dig to me, "how long have you lived here?"

I don't know if you have a problem drinking but that is what this forum is about. It is not about mocking people for the difference between khon or khun. Most people would not hear the difference said in normal conversation anyway.

If you want to demonstrate your superiority in phonetic spelling good for you but I suggest this thread is not really the place.

I have never figured out the motivation of the spelling freaks that take delight in correcting a persons spelling. It must take some perverse sense of humor or mean streak that I don't have because that is what you are talking about here. The phonetic difference in spelling khun or khon.

I sincerely hope you don't have a problem drinking because with hangups like khun or khon it is going to be a rough road for you. But if you do have a problem drinking I wish you luck in conquering it. And if you don't have a problem drinking what the heck are you doing posting on this

ENDQUTE

Maybe he was just looking for a fight. That was why Begbie went to the pub [Trainspotting]. Maybe he wanted what we have, and was willing to go to any lengths to get it [AA], but didn't see the need to drink, We can all speculate on the motives of strangers - I quite enjoy it, and I hope others do too.

I am a little surprised by how people who are former AA participants frequent this thread - AA makes a point of the importance of helping other alcoholics, but as a former member, why bother? I mean that inquisitively, not negatively - I do appreciate the debate, and I can see the similarities / common threads, even if the bickerers cannot....

SC

Anyway, its pronounced "<deleted>", to rhyme with "gateaux"

...Unless of course we discuss the differences of speaking/writing Thai, sober vs. drunk.

Haawwaayayayafukker

I speak most foreign languages better drunk, the problem is matching the language to the listener

SC

...Unless of course we discuss the differences of speaking/writing Thai, sober vs. drunk.

Haawwaayayayafukker

I speak most foreign languages better drunk, the problem is matching the language to the listener

SC

When I was drinking, I always thought I was doing everything great when I was drunk. Hahahaha!!!!

I realize you get pleasure in mocking people hence the dig to me, “how long have you lived here?”

I sincerely hope you don't have a problem drinking because with hangups like khun or khon it is going to be a rough road for you. But if you do have a problem drinking I wish you luck in conquering it. And if you don't have a problem drinking what the heck are you doing posting on this forum???

Firstly, there is a huge difference between khon and khun. Most people WOULD hear the difference in conversation. I just find it sad that many expats live here for more than 1 year, say and are too lazy to learn the language. If you live in a tourist are and have no interest in Thai people or culture, fine. Seems that you are too arrogant to accept a bit of help in learning. Are you American by any chance? also, if you are a member of AA, how the hell can you practise the 12th step if you can't speak Thai?

I din't come here for availibilty of cheap prostitutes as the OP suggests, so maybe I shouldn't post here. Many people it seems, if not most in Pattaya, substitute their alcohol addiction with sex. calling prostitutes, "girls who like everyone" is IMHO a pathetic way to justiofy your addiction. Do you really take your girlfriend to go go bars? these girls don't want to marry old foreigners, most of them are already married or in a relationship. They're out to screw old foriegners.You have issues to deal with if you care bout what these girls think about you - they dono't. Be a man of integrity and stop being a hypocrite - stay way from go go bars and 'girls who like everyone'. If you do, do't try to justify it by talking about it on internet forums, like it's a normal thing to do. Would you tell your family back home that you lve a life with prostitutes?

However, i want to reduce my drinking and am looking into spending less time in bars.

I know what this forum is about. I drink too much - is that good enough for you mr moderator?

I stayed sober once for over a year. It's essential to stay away from bars in the first 2/3 months. the temptation is way too much.

Firstly, there is a huge difference between khon and khun. Most people WOULD hear the difference in conversation. I just find it sad that many expats live here for more than 1 year, say and are too lazy to learn the language. If you live in a tourist are and have no interest in Thai people or culture, fine. Seems that you are too arrogant to accept a bit of help in learning. Are you American by any chance? also, if you are a member of AA, how the hell can you practise the 12th step if you can't speak Thai?

I din't come here for availibilty of cheap prostitutes as the OP suggests, so maybe I shouldn't post here. Many people it seems, if not most in Pattaya, substitute their alcohol addiction with sex. calling prostitutes, "girls who like everyone" is IMHO a pathetic way to justiofy your addiction. Do you really take your girlfriend to go go bars? these girls don't want to marry old foreigners, most of them are already married or in a relationship. They're out to screw old foriegners.You have issues to deal with if you care bout what these girls think about you - they dono't. Be a man of integrity and stop being a hypocrite - stay way from go go bars and 'girls who like everyone'. If you do, do't try to justify it by talking about it on internet forums, like it's a normal thing to do. Would you tell your family back home that you lve a life with prostitutes?

However, i want to reduce my drinking and am looking into spending less time in bars.

I know what this forum is about. I drink too much - is that good enough for you mr moderator?

I stayed sober once for over a year. It's essential to stay away from bars in the first 2/3 months. the temptation is way too much.

You missed my point. So I will repeat it. People who correct phonetic spelling deserve a whole other forum. It is enough to correct actual spelling where you can look up words in a dictionary and that is offensive enough and prohibited by TV rules most times but phonetic spelling depends on how a person speaks as there no definitive source to phonetically spell Thai words. So you don't know how I say khun. You don't know if anyone would understand me if I say took khun. You are being offensive just for the heck of being offensive. You seem to get pleasure out of making yourself look big and me look small. You could have said, “try saying khon.” But instead you made a degrading remark based on how long I have lived in Thailand. It was uncalled for. It was impolite. It was just plain mean.

The second uninformed and offensive part of your post is, “Many people it seems, if not most in Pattaya, substitute their alcohol addiction with sex. calling prostitutes, "girls who like everyone" is IMHO a pathetic way to justify your addiction.” End quote.

1.You don't know everyone who lives in Pattaya.

2.You are slandering many many people who do live in Pattaya.

3.In any event what if they are? Isn't sex between consenting adults a better thing to do than get drunk? Did God die and leave you in charge to change the rules? Are you starting a campaign to outlaw prostitution in Thailand on Thai Visa?

IMO substituting sex for drunkenness is a definite step up.

I don't live in Pattaya. My GF does not work in a bar. We go to Pattaya a few times a year to shop and for entertainment. She likes to go to a couple of go go bars. I took her to male as well as female go go bars and she prefers the female ones. We also go to Thai disco bars outside of Pattaya to dance and at those bars they have coyote dancers who are better looking than go go dancers and also available for take out if you didn't know it. My GF likes going to Thai Disco bars; most Thai women do. I would tell you who we have run into at some of the disco bars but it is a no no to mention some names here. Get real. If you have never seen a coyote dancer get just as naked as a go go dancer then you have left the club too early. Your naivety as well as your parochialism surprises me for a long time Thai resident.

You do bring up one interesting point. 12th step and Thai people. I can only speak for myself. I would never 12th step a Thai. Matter of fact I would not 12th step anyone. I have been asked to go on interventions and to help 12 step people and have refused. Just me. I don't do it.

If on the other hand a person asks me for information I am more than willing to help and there is AA information printed in the Thai language. I keep a pamphlet in the house just in case. There was a guy who went to Pattaya AA meetings who took every Thai pamphlet that our group had paid for and distributed them to drunk Thais in bars. He got rather expensive as the pamphlets have to be paid for out of meeting donations and I never saw a Thai show up at a meeting.

As far as cutting down on your drinking, IMO there are only two speeds to drinking, full ahead or full stop. Literally millions have tried to find something in between but in the end they all arrive at the same conclusion, full ahead or full stop. There are a lot of people and organizations out there trying to make a buck telling you otherwise but the great majority agree with me. Go ahead try and cut back. I did for 20 years. When you hit bottom try AA.

Stop bickering about spellinz.you must have understood to childishly reply.. Foodlands the place to meet the Girlz.Just sit outside with a SixPak of Coke and they find you. Never did the Bars, but never went short of ATM Ringers either. Its true the Thai Girls think more of a Non Drinker,they left home because of drunken Husbands quite often.

A friend of mine - who has been in rehab and sober for 10 months - recently went on holiday to Thailand. Yes, he is a bit of a sex-pat but he works hard for his money and is a grown up and can spend it as he wishes.

He told me that he had the best holiday in all the years he has been going to Thailand.

Good for him!!! Glad to hear he had a good time while staying sober...It can be done. :)

Maybe we could start having AA meetings in the gogo bars? ;)

I was there and saw it at the time - he had the room next to mine. Two bottles of vodka a day at least and he had "bought" six girls from a bar to do whatever. When we got home, he could never remember his holiday. And was as white as what he was two weeks before. One time, I had been swimming and come back to my room. There he was getting his toenails cut etc. "Pats, have you been to the beach?" Yes. "Where is it?" 20 meters that way...

I hope he will continue... He's taking me out for lunch next week and said that it's ok if I have a glass of wine he'll just stick to his fizzy water. But, he sounds great on the phone. Much more awake and not sad anymore. I'm a bit proud of him and myself for pushing him to do what he had to do. The guy could not leave his flat, would call me up - give me money to buy booze etc. In the end, I said no. If you can't get to the shop yourself then f off.

And the good thing is - he remembers all that, and the friendship i have and will continue to give. Some drunks just zone off.

Gosh my English is orrible!! Come back to my room should read came back...

Edited by Patsycat

I'll do a PS here before i hit the Sales - yummy. New Shoes!!!

I know he will talk to me about my alcoholism, but perhaps in a nicer friend to friend situation. Remember this and that and all the falling over situations etc.

It may be cooler to come from a friend who i have seen, full faced, go through the crap - explain to me the ins and outs and ups and downs and around abouts about this addiction.

I hope you all have a great weekend (I hear it is alcohol free!!) and have a laugh at the shaky people on Monday!!!

Kisses

Thanks for getting this thread back on track, patsycat.

To those who have been bickering/quibbling/flaming each other: cease and desist, or you'll find your posting rights in jeopardy. :realangry: :realangry: :realangry: :realangry:

Excellent!! How do you plan on doing that? For me it is AA and working the 12 steps. It really has changed my life. My sobriety is so much better than when I gave up booze for a year on my own, about 10-11 years ago. I am happy and enjoying life and as I posted earlier I am fine going to bars and being around people who are drinking. I would agree that staying away from environments where you may be tempted to drink at the beginning of your sobriety is a very good idea. As far as controlled drinking, that is not an option for me.....Tried it, didn't work.

Tried a lot of other things as well: the geographical cure; the drinking only wine cure; the only have a drink after 6pm cure; the only drinking beer cure; the only drinking on weekends cure; etc, etc, etc.

Edited by GrahamF

From the responses, it seems it is possible to keep the lifestyle of regularly buying affection while staying sober. However it seems to me that perhaps you could be happier and have more respect for yourself and others, if you gave up that part of your lifestyle entirely.

Having been there and done that, (a long time ago), I knew that even as a 19 year old, I never really felt proud about myself when it came to that aspect of my life.

That's partly why I used to drink so much, so that I could let my 'reptile brain' take charge and do things that deep, inside I knew wasn't something I'd want my parents to know about.

Just a thought.

RickThai

From the responses, it seems it is possible to keep the lifestyle of regularly buying affection while staying sober. However it seems to me that perhaps you could be happier and have more respect for yourself and others, if you gave up that part of your lifestyle entirely.

Having been there and done that, (a long time ago), I knew that even as a 19 year old, I never really felt proud about myself when it came to that aspect of my life.

That's partly why I used to drink so much, so that I could let my 'reptile brain' take charge and do things that deep, inside I knew wasn't something I'd want my parents to know about.

Just a thought.

RickThai

Once we can look down on something, its very easy to stop doing it. And once we've found a daft (woman - original term edited by moderator) willing to shag us for nothing (no offence intended) we can easily look down on others not so lucky.

The 12-step programme I aspire to examines how we consider our relationship to others, and seeks to recompense our wrongs toward them; it makes no consideration of our expenditure or their profession,

If you don't want to whore; don't do it - it may lead you to drink, If you want to do it - think whether you really do or not; maybe its an excuse to drink.

I know some quite sober whoremongers...

SC

When I was drunk I could go home and get drunk and watch meaningless things on TV or listen to music and imagine I was composing my thoughts for my next great novel. I even used to make notes of my brilliant inebriated ideas. Upon reading them in the morning I discovered they were just drunk ramblings.

Now, when sober and horny there is no escape into booze. I am either horny or not horny. I am not horny when recently satiated; if not I am horny.

I have also noticed another phenomenon. “Them that has gets.” When I have a woman other women seem to come out of the woodwork after me. Maybe I walk different or display an air of confidence that I don't have when alone. If I was drunk I would not notice the signals sent by the other ladies. Nothing a Thai woman does is coincidence every action has a meaning.

My daft (woman - original term edited by moderator) willing to shag me for nothing is a sweetheart. While I would normally think she must have a screw loose, she appears at least on the surface, to be one of the brightest women I have met since coming to Thailand.

One of the mixed blessings of age is, I have gone from six shooter to a single shot revolver. It takes me a while to cock it again. So she has little trouble keeping me from straying. And drink? Heck no. I could not keep up with her while drunk, no way. And I do feel since I am not paying I owe her a decent experience. That's only fair.

To me, the pay for play, thing encourages drinking because since I am the one paying her pleasure is not my concern and I can be as drunk and horrible in bed as I want.

I don't think anyone really thinks a man being drunk contributes to excellence in the bedroom. But perhaps this is only me as I have few inhibitions drunk or sober. I have known some women who were great drunk and awful sober but it is a fine line between a great courtesan and a sloppy drunk confined to the toilet. Note the barf sink at Gulliver's in Bangkok.

... calling prostitutes, "girls who like everyone" is IMHO a pathetic way to justiofy your addiction..

I assume you have mixed up multiple posts. My wife was the one who used that term one night when her sister pulled over to make a cell phone call. There was a large building across the street (we were in Kamphangphet) that looked to be some kind of a private club. I asked my wife what the building was and she in turn, asked her sister (who is a teacher). My wife then told me that it was a building where men go to find "girls who like everyone".

Rather than "pathetic" which indicates feeling sorrow or sad for someone, I thought the use of the phrase was a very 'nice' way to indicate a brothel.

As you know, one of the beautiful things about language is the rich and varied ways to describe things. Just as important as words and grammer, are style and tone. Using coarse and demeaning language serves no useful purpose to my mind, and often gets in the way of communication.

Using warm and kinder words to describe something, displays a creativity and respect for both the subject and the readers/listeners. Apparently some posters enjoyed the euphenism (sp) and lastly, I can assure you that my wife has no addiction (sexual, drink, or otherwise) and goes through life trying to be a compassionate and understanding person. Its took a long time (we've been married 36 years), but some of her niceness has finally started to penetrate my "engineer mindset" and I've become to realize that how you say something, is often more important than what you are saying.

Wishing you well,

RickThai