Friends Of Farang Connection

brimacthai

We're a small group of people that want to help the Farang Connection turn things around and we're asking for your help. We know there's issues and problem and we're looking for positive input here. So my questions to the readers are these:

1) what do you like about the FC?

2) what would be your number one recommendation to FC management to improve services?

3) if you no longer come to the FC, what could they do to get your custom back?

If you can offer more direct support with your time and are willing to meet in person at the FC (some people have already done this and thanks heaps), then PM me and I will give you my email and phone number.

Please keep you replies short and to the point, we can respond to facts not emotions. If you're not sure if your response will fit the rules set out by TV, then PM me and I will respond in kind.

We're serious about changing things at the FC, to make it a better place and provide better services to their clientele, so please, no venting or abusive responses, if you've not received good service then tell us in simple words, how the FC management can fix it for you!

Thank you in advance from the FOFC (Friends Of Farang Connection)

FYI - FC is already working on a new menu and looking for service staff that speak a higher level of English or current staff will be receiving English Language lessons and service training, to improve their services to the clientele. And the answer is yes... these services are available in Surin.

Edited by brimacthai

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without coming across negative or over critical, the greatest benefit for positive [and survivable] change for FC would be to have Sunni sell the place to a competent and intelligence Farang, who might understand the quality dimensions and dedication it would take to operate an establishment of it's standing.

It's quite clear from the time of Marty's deeper illness and subsequent passing, it has gone from a keen operation to an embarrassment. Shouldn't surprise anyone that the good Thai folks are running it into the ground with attached indifferent and disarray.

If there is really a collective concern towards it's future, It might be suggested to purchase [and operated] the place as a collective. Though, I can't imagine what she might be asking for the place - lock, stock, and barrel.....it just might be a decent value and investment in the long run. As it's quite obvious that they haven't a clue nor do they give a rat's arse, as she is not willing to bring in someone that could manged and run the place daily as Kurt and Martin had designed and envisioned.

Can't imagine there would be any such quick-fix or future for FC if things continue on the downward spiral.

I only go in to FC about twice a month, to have a beer with the regulars, but this is what I have found.

The English language problem is there. I'm not sure how bad it is because I speak Thai to the staff.

The problem that I found with the staff was the fact that they don't seem to want to be there. They are usually sitting at the table next to the bar looking totally bored. What happened to service with a smile? It is also, usually, necessary to shout across to them when you want something.

So a bit more hospitality. A little greeting when you arrive "Good Morning/afternoon/evening". Is there something I can get you? etc. Maybe also every now and then someone to come over to the tables and ask if anything else is required.

I haven't eaten in there for along time so I don't know about the food.

Without coming across negative or over critical, the greatest benefit for positive [and survivable] change for FC would be to have Sunni sell the place to a competent and intelligence Farang, who might understand the quality dimensions and dedication it would take to operate an establishment of it's standing.

It's quite clear from the time of Marty's deeper illness and subsequent passing, it has gone from a keen operation to an embarrassment. Shouldn't surprise anyone that the good Thai folks are running it into the ground with attached indifferent and disarray.

If there is really a collective concern towards it's future, It might be suggested to purchase [and operated] the place as a collective. Though, I can't imagine what she might be asking for the place - lock, stock, and barrel.....it just might be a decent value and investment in the long run. As it's quite obvious that they haven't a clue nor do they give a rat's arse, as she is not willing to bring in someone that could manged and run the place daily as Kurt and Martin had designed and envisioned.

Can't imagine there would be any such quick-fix or future for FC if things continue on the downward spiral.

Thanks for your input, not sure I understand what you're saying or suggesting but thanks anyways... BTW... we're not looking for "quick" fixes, just suggestions on what could be different to improve the experience for the writer.

One thing I can say is that not many people (in fact no one) is giving credit to S. for at least trying to salvage the FC. I already said she is in way over her head and is asking for help. Many of the issues you've mentioned were just as hard (if not harder) on her.

If she didn't care we wouldn't be helping.

I only go in to FC about twice a month, to have a beer with the regulars, but this is what I have found.

The English language problem is there. I'm not sure how bad it is because I speak Thai to the staff.

The problem that I found with the staff was the fact that they don't seem to want to be there. They are usually sitting at the table next to the bar looking totally bored. What happened to service with a smile? It is also, usually, necessary to shout across to them when you want something.

So a bit more hospitality. A little greeting when you arrive "Good Morning/afternoon/evening". Is there something I can get you? etc. Maybe also every now and then someone to come over to the tables and ask if anything else is required.

I haven't eaten in there for along time so I don't know about the food.

Thanks for your suggestions, we agree pretty much with everything you've mentioned. All of this is being worked on now. There's a long way to go but we believe we can help S. turn it around.

Like z said, a manager is needed but finding a Farang that can do that may prove to be hard to do, with pay, work permits etc. I think starting with the simple things like you've mentioned and updating the menu is a great place to start... one step at a time

Thanks again for you great input... much appreciated!

I think it's quiet simple.A Thai can not run a foreigner oriented bar,same as a foreigner can not run the Thai version.

Agreed, but I also feel that we can help improve things at the FC, S. is a pretty good western cook and as long as the menu reflects the dishes she's good at (and quality stock is used), then things will improve. I think with help, a direct foreigner manager may not be needed. But someone more in line as a business adviser may be more affordable and effective than a business manager at this point in time.

I think it's quiet simple.A Thai can not run a foreigner oriented bar,same as a foreigner can not run the Thai version.

Agreed, but I also feel that we can help improve things at the FC, S. is a pretty good western cook and as long as the menu reflects the dishes she's good at (and quality stock is used), then things will improve. I think with help, a direct foreigner manager may not be needed. But someone more in line as a business adviser may be more affordable and effective than a business manager at this point in time.

All quite true.

But the parties in question need to able to absorb sensible advice and counsel.

One would need in-house hands on direction.

All quite true.

One would need in-house hands on direction.

Absolutely! 100% right, And that's what we're looking for... sensible advice and counsel. Thanks mate!

You've hit the nail on the head with your post, i used to go there upto quite recently at least 3 times a week when in town,but the staff are thin on the ground and slow to serve the customer , and you never get a smile from any of the staff like before, especaily the boss, it's past i'ts sell by date the FC , The sportsman opposite is more friendly and better food IMHO.

That's my honest opinion.

Good to see people coming together to save something they believe in. Is Sunne the type to take on the advice, implement what is needed and consistently follow through? That is a real big question as it would be a miserable situation if you guys put in a wasted effort.

Didn't she take notes when her husband was running the place? All the issues mentioned before make me think that she does not have a head for this category of business.

TheWalkingMan

Sadly few places stay the same, even under the same owner. It may be time to think that it has become what it is now and if you cannot accept it as that patronise another place. I find the passion of people to retain a memory of Martin rather touching but posibly misguided. In fact this whole thread seems misguided, if a place does not provide what you need so what there are many others or start one. Martins wife does not have to be Martin and the bar does not have to be as it was.

Edited by harrry

Sadly few places stay the same, even under the same owner. It may be time to think that it has become what it is now and if you cannot accept it as that patronise another place. I find the passion of people to retain a memory of Martin rather touching but posibly misguided. In fact this whole thread seems misguided, if a place does not provide what you need so what there are many others or start one. Martins wife does not have to be Martin and the bar does not have to be as it was.

Thanks for your thoughts Harry but miss-guided or not... it's always worth a try... we have to do something and giving it one more go has to be worth the effort, if we can't get back the old customers then at least we can try to make it a better experience for the new ones... just as many new people arrive today as they did last year or ten years ago... so if we're able to turn it around then in a couple of years from now not many will remember the bad times when people we're sick, relationships stretched and service sucked.

I've been going there off and on for 6 years, there was a gap of two years when I didn't like what was going on and didn't go there... things change, doesn't matter if we're active or not... things change, some times for the better sometimes not..l. but they do change, I like to think that being part of the solution is a heck of a lot more fun... and I never walk away from anything without saying... I gave it my best!

I'm just looking for a few more people that feel the same way, to at least give some advice and guidance that can help.

Good to see people coming together to save something they believe in. Is Sunne the type to take on the advice, implement what is needed and consistently follow through? That is a real big question as it would be a miserable situation if you guys put in a wasted effort.

Didn't she take notes when her husband was running the place? All the issues mentioned before make me think that she does not have a head for this category of business.

TheWalkingMan

Hi TWM, my thoughts too, and no she didn't take enough notes but there's nothing we can do about the past. I believe S. is willing to take on advice, if she wasn't then I wouldn't be wasting my time that's for sure and the request for help came from her not me... I've just decided to help where I can.

The FOFC are there to help in the long run... if we just dump a bunch of help and leave it at that then nothing will be accomplished, it's going to take time and a fair amount of luck. If one finds the right support then one doesn't have to know everything... but one does have to know where to go for help and then be willing to act on that.

Right now the help and advice is being taken seriously and as things improve I think that will get better and or easier once results are apparent.

I have copied this from the other thread:-

Good luck with your efforts - as you, say, you have nothing to lose.

I believe that there has to be a will/desire to succeed.

Not by the FOFC (who's intentions are clearly honourable, if not a little late) but by the owners/management and - by extension - the staff.

Slightly stereotyped approach but has the owner put together a business plan. What does she want to achieve, how does she expect to achieve that objective and what does she need to change to achieve that.

The plan that was in place was Martin's. He is no longer with us so I would suggest that plan should change to reflect the changed circumstances.

It looks like enough FOFC may have stepped up to the plate and can offer sound advice. However, unless they wish to acquire the business this will HAVE to be the owner's plan for it to stand a chance of working.

Personally, I would suggest a clean sheet of paper and even a change of name. There seems to have been enough 'bad will' created that has out-weighed any goodwill created by Martin. This, of course, not unusual in a business where there was one dominant partner - the impact is magnified when it is a Farang establishment in a foreign country.

Yep. The bottom line.

There is a lot of truth in this, but it is not the complete story. It is the start point that then needs to be addressed.

I have to believe that a Thai CAN run a Falang business.

Many Thais are not capable of running any business - their natural traits are not conducive to good business management and discipline. However, they are very capable of learning - if the desire is there.

In my case I had to establish the business framework and standards that I required. Once I knew what I wanted it was a case of teaching the Thais these 'standards' and how to maintain them. The business also had to operate consistently without my direct involvement and the times I visited the UK.

I am very proud of my missus for the diligence she has displayed in running 'her' business. I could not be sure of her capabilities until these were put to the test. It is almost to my shame that she surpassed my expectations. Do we get it right all the time ? Most certainly not, that would be impossible, but we have a dam_n good try at consistently hitting those standards.

If Sunee has a genuine will to succeed then the efforts of FOFC will not be in vain. I repeat my best wishes to them for taking a genuine interest.

Not by the FOFC (who's intentions are clearly honourable, if not a little late) but by the owners/management and - by extension - the staff.

Slightly stereotyped approach but has the owner put together a business plan. What does she want to achieve, how does she expect to achieve that objective and what does she need to change to achieve that.

The plan that was in place was Martin's. He is no longer with us so I would suggest that plan should change to reflect the changed circumstances.

It looks like enough FOFC may have stepped up to the plate and can offer sound advice. However, unless they wish to acquire the business this will HAVE to be the owner's plan for it to stand a chance of working.

Personally, I would suggest a clean sheet of paper and even a change of name. There seems to have been enough 'bad will' created that has out-weighed any goodwill created by Martin. This, of course, not unusual in a business where there was one dominant partner - the impact is magnified when it is a Farang establishment in a foreign country.

Thanks for your words of support, I hope the "never too late" works out... we're at square one here so any recommendations or ideas are most welcomed. I have noted your suggestions and thanks heaps.

I don't think there's ever enough support, we'll start with the easy things that can start to change the customers perspective and build from there.

Wise words CH, however I suggest before she even puts forward a business plan, the owner should decide what her core business is.

You cannot be all things to all people, what exctly is the FC? A tour/visa service with car rentals, a real estate business, is it a restaurant that serves alcohol or is it a bar that serves food?

Once the owner has identified her core business (after either selling, closing or leasing out the other parts?) she had better identify her target audience, who will be her main source of income, visitors, full time expats or semi resident expats?

She had better learn to get ruthless PDQ if she is serious about running a business not a charity for friends or family members, of course face will play a part as well, is she willing to roll her sleeves up and get stuck in?

That menu should be whittled down to say her 15 most popular dishes, that should solve the problems with lack of food, where is the food sourced, low stock can be replenished by picking up a phone and phoning just down the road.

Another poster mentioned about Thai/English translations, no need , print a numbered menu in English and order by the number on the menu, if egg and chips is number 12 order number 12.

Is the owner willing to pay a decent salary and listen to suggestions from staff, my mrs speaks perfect English but sorry it will take a lot more that 8,000 baht per month to get her.

Not being funny, asking because I really have no idea, how many farang actually live full time with say a 50km radius of Surin?

Has the owner considered selling a share of the business now for a quick cash injection and sell out altogether later, what exactly are her future plans.

Are the premises owned or leased?

The above are just random, bullet thoughts, but these are questions she should be asking as a bare minimum.

Wise words CH, however I suggest before she even puts forward a business plan, the owner should decide what her core business is.

You cannot be all things to all people, what exctly is the FC? A tour/visa service with car rentals, a real estate business, is it a restaurant that serves alcohol or is it a bar that serves food?

Once the owner has identified her core business (after either selling, closing or leasing out the other parts?) she had better identify her target audience, who will be her main source of income, visitors, full time expats or semi resident expats?

She had better learn to get ruthless PDQ if she is serious about running a business not a charity for friends or family members, of course face will play a part as well, is she willing to roll her sleeves up and get stuck in?

That menu should be whittled down to say her 15 most popular dishes, that should solve the problems with lack of food, where is the food sourced, low stock can be replenished by picking up a phone and phoning just down the road.

Another poster mentioned about Thai/English translations, no need , print a numbered menu in English and order by the number on the menu, if egg and chips is number 12 order number 12.

Is the owner willing to pay a decent salary and listen to suggestions from staff, my mrs speaks perfect English but sorry it will take a lot more that 8,000 baht per month to get her.

Not being funny, asking because I really have no idea, how many farang actually live full time with say a 50km radius of Surin?

Has the owner considered selling a share of the business now for a quick cash injection and sell out altogether later, what exactly are her future plans.

Are the premises owned or leased?

The above are just random, bullet thoughts, but these are questions she should be asking as a bare minimum.

Thanks RGS, your very valid and important points have been noted. Some of these questions are already being covered. I too can see the value in spending a reasonable amount for someone that can be trusted to be in charge of the front-end, register and other staff. This one point alone can make or break the turn around... it's something the FC is looking at and agrees is needed sooner than later... this will allow S to concentrate on improving the kitchen, etc.

What is need is someone who can speak at least good English and someone who can manage the front-end of a restaurant/bar or bar/restaurant. A switched on person in this role will make considerably more for the FC than they're getting paid, whatever that amount is.

rgs - We do not differ in our approach.

My 'clean sheet' approach would identify all the points you raise.

I am not trying to turn this into an academic exercise - the plan outcome will largely depend on the ability of the owner (and her advisers).

A simple menu (with all items ALWAYS available) is the key. The top 10 sellers forming the basis of the menu. It can be extended later the menu, and other areas of operation, must have a solid foundation to give a consistent product and service every time.

Product, price and service are the key areas for me.

The owner's financial situation may dictate pricing but I would start by adding up all my costs and see what I need to take to achieve breakeven.

rgs - We do not differ in our approach.

My 'clean sheet' approach would identify all the points you raise.

I am not trying to turn this into an academic exercise - the plan outcome will largely depend on the ability of the owner (and her advisers).

A simple menu (with all items ALWAYS available) is the key. The top 10 sellers forming the basis of the menu. It can be extended later the menu, and other areas of operation, must have a solid foundation to give a consistent product and service every time.

Product, price and service are the key areas for me.

The owner's financial situation may dictate pricing but I would start by adding up all my costs and see what I need to take to achieve breakeven.

Thanks for that information, menu is one of the first things for the FC to update.

Good luck with this!

Me and my cousin were regular visitors while we worked on a project up that way and I've not been back since Martin passed.

I only have good memories of the place though and hope you all find a way to get it back on it's feet again.

Good luck with this!

Me and my cousin were regular visitors while we worked on a project up that way and I've not been back since Martin passed.

I only have good memories of the place though and hope you all find a way to get it back on it's feet again.

Hi HD, thanks for the kind words, I hope next time you're in Surin, things will be much better..., it will never be the same but it can get better and still be a place to rest, eat and drink.

Cheers.

This will be our final response on this thread.

We wish to thank everyone for their valuable input. All points, recommendations and suggestions have been noted and will help us to put together a strategy for the FC.

There is clearly still a lot of support for the FC and those TV members who have also offered their time we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

More than 330 views in less than 16 hours, maybe not a record but very inspiring all the same, thanks.

If you would like to add more recommendations or suggestions then please PM me, if you want to offer more direct support then also PM me and I'll send you my email and phone number.

Thanks again everyone and I hope you will soon see a new FC that provides good drink, good food and the most important request made... great, happy, friendly, smiling, don't let my glass get empty, English speaking... service!

Oh yes almost forgot... a menu that actually has food that's available on it!

Don't forget that if you have a service or products to sell, that you think will be a benefit to the FC, let us know so we can forward your details to the management team at the FC. Again just PM me.

Cheers,

FOFC

This will be our final response on this thread.

We wish to thank everyone for their valuable input. All points, recommendations and suggestions have been noted and will help us to put together a strategy for the FC.

There is clearly still a lot of support for the FC and those TV members who have also offered their time we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

More than 330 views in less than 16 hours, maybe not a record but very inspiring all the same, thanks.

If you would like to add more recommendations or suggestions then please PM me, if you want to offer more direct support then also PM me and I'll send you my email and phone number.

Thanks again everyone and I hope you will soon see a new FC that provides good drink, good food and the most important request made... great, happy, friendly, smiling, don't let my glass get empty, English speaking... service!

Oh yes almost forgot... a menu that actually has food that's available on it!

Don't forget that if you have a service or products to sell, that you think will be a benefit to the FC, let us know so we can forward your details to the management team at the FC. Again just PM me.

Cheers,

FOFC

Sounds as if you've taken over operations already. Or perhaps you're just the unofficial spokesman.

Your subliminal matter suggest that you might have some coming influence. Or not.

All this trivial obsession over a dying Farang hang-out.

I might even be more suspicious that FOFC is not a small collective at all, but the grandiose angst of one person whose concerns are disturbing.;)

My first thought was a re-branding to The Farang Correction and get a change of use permit to create the first S&M club at Surin's Bus station.

I think it's quiet simple. A Thai can not run a foreigner oriented bar,same as a foreigner can not run the Thai version.
For this business to be successful in marketing to non-Thais, the person that runs it must be open to criticism and ideas that are alien the the normal Thai response to business ideas.

A greeting when people walk in or even passing is important.

The investment in expending energy and a bit of money creates a return, so few Thais in these small businesses understand this and only ever look at the business premisses and themselves through their own eyes. Take that first impression - the moment a customer walks in for the first time - a business has three seconds to make a good first impression. Does FC do this? Even if busy with another customer a quick glance and nod of the head is enough to cope with serving one person and greet the new comer.

But if you mention this issue, the response from the waiting staff will be "why should I smile? - I don't know them - they not customer - they just walk past." is it any wonder. Why stop at place that marketed at farang if they can not be bothered to invest in a smile? They do not need to go OTT in the Pattaya-bar fashion unless FC is a bar for rentals which I don't believe it is.

I've not been to FC (doubt I ever will) but I would guess that the shop environment would benefit from a good clean and a touch up of paint in places. (Most places do) The time to do this would be just before high season - if Surin has one. But a list of Monthly/Weekly and daily tasks as a check list is needed to build and maintain standards.

...a pretty good western cook and as long as the menu reflects the dishes she's good at (and quality stock is used), then things will improve. I think with help, a direct foreigner manager may not be needed.

The stuff that I have read about FC in Thai Visa forums and the other farang-Thai web sites (TD to name one) consistently report bad service, with hit and miss catering. If I were to visit for Sunday lunch tomorrow and ordered a roast lamb and tried to use the free internet while I drunk a pint of Guinness what would I get? (Would the glass be chilled? Probably get ice put in it!)

Stock control would be the first issue - why have a menu if you are not monitoring how many egg & bacons you are selling, I doubt there is any form of written record or how much of each is sold weekly/monthly. I bet reordering is done by "judgement" and eye. Clearly this does not work as people have reported repeated "Mi - Mee!" responses when ordering. If there is a high and low season set up two or three menus, in rainy season a hearty pumpkin soup with bread roll in hot season sell home made ice creams flavoured with mango or durian (can use the paste) etc. With a bus station there they should be turning away customers.

Internet.

Martin had some good ideas in the right direction but IMHO implementation was haphazard in places. The fact that FC is top Google result is great, great for people that know where they are aiming for. But if you Google a few food related words +Surin, you get the bad food reviews pop up.

FC awareness among the established expat and tourist community is already in existence, all be it positive/negative depending where you look and when the web-information was written. New tourists are using new web media channels to explore and gather information, I don't see a Twitter presence for FC and if you look on Facebook you get a Bangkok based dating agency. To the average back packer this suggests that the FC is the Surin recruiting office for mail-order brides.

QR codes, very popular these days - I can think of half a dozen uses to promote the FC image.

I have no idea if the hallowed Elephant round up is worth watching but from the way Martin promoted it I wondered if he was in fact the Thailand Travel Agency regional ambassador, the old web site was a cluttered place - the current version has gone the other way.

Some of the best pictures of the business are NOT owned by FC, compare this....

2371009822_d0c300ee3e_z.jpg?zz=1(Copyright grantthai@Flickr)

With this:

inside2.jpg...and the second picture is publicising the food !! <deleted>!

Does it really take me criticising the place in this post to suggest a nice stage managed picture of a couple on non-drunk regulars wearing ironed shirts in the foreground with others (staff) sitting at tables in the background, I like the samlor with the monks, getting some color in the above picture and by doing so highlights the lack of color in the FC building. Is dirty white really still in fashion this year?

Consider the time of day when the pictures should be taken, Thais will just do it (maybe) when they feel like it, no consideration to the golden hour of photography when the sun is at the perfect angle to filter the light, makes a huge difference. Can all be done on a cheap digital camera, does not cost more, just need to install a brain.

The tour business illustrations are very poor, seriously my 11 year old Thai niece takes better pictures, framed correctly and the verticals are not a drunken angles. The silks could be wall paper samples. All those pictures need to be taken when the sun is near the horizon (depending on the best illumination for the subject)

Example: "Khow Pra Viharn: This is definately the most spectacular of the sites" Click for Relevant Image.

This definitely made me spill my coffee, it's a spectacular picture of a tree. (Note spelling error!)

Is this tour cross-boarder still on, if so are flak jackets and extra life insurance included? *

The other point of interest to Thai Immigration will be at the bottom of the page: "All the tours are with two British drivers, English & Thai tour guides." Do the British drivers/tour guides have Work Permits? That would be interesting as both "Driver" and "Tour Guide" are jobs reserved for Thai nationals only.

The car hire business is a good earner I assume, so why are the pictures so bad? Consistently different and bad.

What is better; a picture of the pick-up taken at the point of sunset outside a bar (?) or at a local beauty spot if there is such a thing?

The link exchange for Yorkies' beer fund is hidden in plain sight (no Beer for Yorkie) - promote the concept of driving in rural Thailand, write a few paragraphs about the local places to visit.

With any business that is in retail needing bums on seats the mantra is location, location, location. With a web presence the need is for content, content, content.

Content needs to be useful, spelt correctly and up to date*. The copyright info on the FC site is 2010. Does the administrator monitor usage and craft pages to fill in the gaps in marketing? Silly question, as the nice clean style of the site is let down with poor quality and scant content - the picture used to promote the food is of an empty restaurant.

This is the issue - there is a LOT of good solid free business advice (some of it written above), but if the mentality is that they can't be bothered to smile at new customers or have menu items in stock what is the point?

Sell it on to someone that has a business brain. (No, I do not want to buy it.)

The success of any business hinges upon the perceived value of the product or service it sells.

Value is not simply a monetary consideration, price is simply one part of the calculation.

You could probably sum up value in the restaurant business as being:

price + quality + availability + service

So let's take a look at each of these in the light of recent comments about FC

Price - Most people seems to find the prices acceptable, only really issue seems to be the rumoured double pricing for regulars and passing trade.

Quality - It would seem that quite a few people have an issue with the quality of the food, a quick Google also brings back a lot on negativity in the results for FC.

Availability - Even back when Martin was still alive, there were often multiple choices missing from the menu, and this is understandable, this happens in just about every restaurant from time to time. However, it would appear that the situation has become much worse in recent months.

Service - The service used to be OK (note I say OK, not good or great), but since Martin is no longer there to make sure the staff actually work, this has become a major problem. I'll vouch for this 100% through experience, I don't go into the FC much any more, I pop in now and again when I feel like reading the newspaper, but two weeks ago I walked in, sat at a table, lit a cigarette and waited. When I finished my cigarette and one of the waitresses had yet to acknowledge I was there, I got up and walked out.

Looking at things this way we can clearly develop a set of coals, which once achieved, should improve the FC experience.

price - no real problem, but the double pricing needs to be stopped if it is actually a reality.

quality - It's not as simple as finding a new cook, like many Farang restaurants, the menu at FC is full of dishes that the chef has probably never tasted in a Western environment. How can a Thai cook make good Western food when they don't even know how it's supposed to taste? My advice would be to cut the menu down, and specialise in a handful of farang dishes, making sure the chef can actually cook each one of them. Obviously keep the breakfasts, sandwiches and that kind of thing.

availability - offering a small menu would also help significantly with this problem

service - This has to change entirely and it's going to take somebody supervising who is not scared to tell the waitresses to get off their <deleted>, stop playing with their mobile phones and start doing some work. This means teaching the value of greeting customers and monitoring the tables to make sure people do not need to shout across the restaurant to get their attention.