Friends Of Farang Connection

brimacthai

The success of any business hinges upon the perceived value of the product or service it sells.

Not going to disagree, however you had better make sure you have a captive audience or customers first.

You can have the best value product in the world, if noone is buying your product you are screwed.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to wonder what Sunni's attitude would be towards said business if she wasn't reasonably comfortable [post-Martin].

A better chance that she is not dependent on FC for a living - now or for the future.

Seems as she is just going through the motions.....just for the sake of it.

[/quoteI might even be more suspicious that FOFC is not a small collective at all, but the grandiose angst of one person whose concerns are disturbing.;)

Or possilby Romantic. but on which front, who knows ?

Checking their website, it does look like Lady S. has her fingers in a few pies and if this place is such a chore, she should just sell it and relax. I have no idea about what a proper price would be.

If she needs cash for the place, she could dump one her cars and use the proceeds for upgrading the restaurant. That would show some real commitment on her part. If she is looking for someone to come in and pass her cash, then that is a different story. Like I said before, she should have been taking notes before her husband passed and been ready to step-in to keep the place moving.

Any reason why she doesn't want to sell the place and move on? It does seem like this type of business is not the right type for her.

TheWalkingMan

...she could dump one her cars and use the proceeds for upgrading the restaurant.

Looking at the cars and the nature of the pictures I would speculate that only one of the cars is "owned" by the FC itself, they are acting as an agent for Hertz or another franchise outlet in a nearby city judging by the comment on the site about a transport fee if the car needs to be shipped in for the renter. The other vehicles are interesting there is an older dark blue pickup in their line up, this looks like it belongs to a friend or relation and is rented out informally - by that I mean with no insurance cover other than the 2+1 that I would expect the car to carry. The insurance is probably for "any driver" but will almost certainly exclude car hire/rental.

One of the sentences on the site states that if you are involved in an accident you pay. I would suggest that you would be paying a lot as I have the impression that the insurance cover is zero unless you are getting one of the proper rental cars subbed in from outside. In which case you will be paying a commission fee to be one stage further away from the proper agent, which IMO just adds hassle in the event of a problem. I would be interested to see what wording was offered if you asked in an email about the car insurance on the cars for rent.

I recall martin posting his Car Rental Agreement Form in these forums some years ago, it was laughable.

Checking their website, it does look like Lady S. has her fingers in a few pies and if this place is such a chore, she should just sell it and relax. I have no idea about what a proper price would be.

If she needs cash for the place, she could dump one her cars and use the proceeds for upgrading the restaurant. That would show some real commitment on her part. If she is looking for someone to come in and pass her cash, then that is a different story. Like I said before, she should have been taking notes before her husband passed and been ready to step-in to keep the place moving.

Any reason why she doesn't want to sell the place and move on? It does seem like this type of business is not the right type for her.

TheWalkingMan

Ever heard a Thai admit something like that.I'm sure that she thinks she built the business to what it was before Martin passed away and Martin's presence was just a coincidence.

...she could dump one her cars and use the proceeds for upgrading the restaurant.

Looking at the cars and the nature of the pictures I would speculate that only one of the cars is "owned" by the FC itself, they are acting as an agent for Hertz or another franchise outlet in a nearby city judging by the comment on the site about a transport fee if the car needs to be shipped in for the renter. The other vehicles are interesting there is an older dark blue pickup in their line up, this looks like it belongs to a friend or relation and is rented out informally - by that I mean with no insurance cover other than the 2+1 that I would expect the car to carry. The insurance is probably for "any driver" but will almost certainly exclude car hire/rental.

One of the sentences on the site states that if you are involved in an accident you pay. I would suggest that you would be paying a lot as I have the impression that the insurance cover is zero unless you are getting one of the proper rental cars subbed in from outside. In which case you will be paying a commission fee to be one stage further away from the proper agent, which IMO just adds hassle in the event of a problem. I would be interested to see what wording was offered if you asked in an email about the car insurance on the cars for rent.

I recall martin posting his Car Rental Agreement Form in these forums some years ago, it was laughable.

As it was Martin who had a number of irons in the fire at his height - restaurant, rental properties, tours and accommodations, vehicle rentals, etc. I guess this was the natural evolution to expand. The subliminal credit that [ex-Missus] she seems to be taking for granted is a bit of falsehood. I believe that she has neither the skill nor the inclination to operating Martin's crumbling empire. So it goes. If it crumbles, it crumbles. Especially, the beloved FC - which seems to have established this sort of iconic reckoning throughout the Surin community, less the mythological standing from the outside world. Years and years ago, it was the only beacon. Today there are a number of Farang-oriented establishments throughout the broader Surin region that have stepped-in to "relieve the burden" from the once famed FC. Like any such universal cycles, they will pass. Noted....Martin is probably less rolling in his grave but having a good chuckle.

Who I wonder are these so called "Friends", and for those who might be interested to tag on, how does one join up? :whistling:

Like a political movement, Nick?

Yes....."friends"

A membership on one.;)

Who I wonder are these so called "Friends", and for those who might be interested to tag on, how does one join up? :whistling:

Hi Prakhonchai Nick,

If you're interested then PM with your email and we'll connect. There's a couple of people offering some help now, some really good ideas that are simple to implement, just good ol advice on how S. can maybe turn things around.

My involvement and intentions have been clear from the outset, some people just struggle with the fact that sometimes people help someone because they can.

Cheers!

Hi Prakhonchai Nick,

If you're interested then PM with your email and we'll connect. There's a couple of people offering some help now, some really good ideas that are simple to implement, just good ol advice on how S. can maybe turn things around.

My involvement and intentions have been clear from the outset, some people just struggle with the fact that sometimes people help someone because they can.

Cheers!

Since it seemed like a secret society, with nobody seemingly supporting you, I was merely trying to elicit information.

I rarely go to Surin, and have no interest in furthering the cause. Others may though, hence my post.

Hi Prakhonchai Nick,

Cheers!

Since it seemed like a secret society, with nobody seemingly supporting you, I was merely trying to elicit information.

I rarely go to Surin, and have no interest in furthering the cause. Others may though, hence my post.

No problem Nick, sorry don't know you so took you interest as genuine... my bad!

Edited by brimacthai

What sounds so strange to me is why this particular bar needs to be revived while there are several more farang bars in the near neighbourhood.Martin has passed away and it was his bar,but life goes on.

You think any Thai would come help you as a farang if your business was suffering?Sounds more like the OP has a personal interest in that bar but just don't want to admit it.

Edited by janverbeem

What sounds so strange to me is why this particular bar needs to be revived while there are several more farang bars in the near neighbourhood.Martin has passed away and it was his bar,but life goes on.

You think any Thai would come help you as a farang if your business was suffering?Sounds more like the OP has a personal interest in that bar but just don't want to admit it.

yeah that must be it...

Yep. Suspicious from the get go.

I have a different take on this whole drama.

I'm of the opinion that there really isn't any such good intent to revive, support, or "save" FC [per se]. But instead to maintain the old Farang circle in Surin.....sort of a retain the old Farang school in Surin crowd. FC is just a convenient and logical conduit to a means. Has nothing to do with "assisting" Sunni and the establishment at hand.

Frankly, I don't believe there is much great interest amongst those loyal Surin Farang, as if you know anything about this circle - they're not that loyal except to themselves. The motives of a collective is self-serving.

Well for his sake I hope its personal and not financial.

I concur with everything you say BTW.

Nothing more than a glorified 7-11 if you ask me.

Well for his sake I hope its personal and not financial.

I concur with everything you say BTW.

Nothing more than a glorified 7-11 if you ask me.

Yep....not ever worth the effort to save.

One poster asked for updates on the process:

1) The girls have told me that they have started reviewing the old menu and should have this ready for reprint next week.

If there is anything you would like to see included in the menu, your favorite dish (talking about food of course LOL), then post it here or PM me and I will forward your request.

2) Apparently a new colour for the inside of the FC was considered by S. some time ago, but not acted on yet, the girls are interested if anyone here has any recommended colours? Again I will forward your suggestions to S.

3) English Language training for the staff will start soon, a local ELS has been asked to put together a training module and schedule for wait-staff.

I noted that a couple people offered up their Thai wives, GF's and/or partners for a managers job, when asked to provide details of their abilities and wage they may want to earn, all has gone quiet. If there is anyone out there that would like to be considered, then PM me or go to the FC and see S. about this. We all know that a good manager will always make an establishment far more money than the fees they want for their services. So let S. know your interest.

In fact with any of these items or requests (if you're so suspicious of my intentions), take your suggestions, statements and ideas... to the FC (you thought I was going to say something else didn't you? whistling.gif ) and see S about them. I am by no way in charge of anything, just helping a friend.

You do remember what a friend is right? biggrin.gif

And Z... I noticed that you still haven't taken me up on my offer to join in on one of the community programs... invite is still open mate!

^

With all extended respect, some might simply and confusingly ask: Why?

If you remember you wanted some details on some of our community efforts in one of your earlier posts (sorry it may have been in a different thread on TV), so I suggested that maybe you should join us on one and see for yourself, to quest your thirst for knowledge and proof of course...

Apologies if I read your earlier post and intent wrongly.

I have been reading many reports about this place, but especially about the "Lady Dragon" and her thai boyfriend attitudes, IMHO, a place which do not have respect for their customers do not deserve any efforts from others to be "saved", as already suggested, the best thing is for the place to change ownership, save your good intention for whom deserve them, honestly!

I have been reading many reports about this place, but especially about the "Lady Dragon" and her thai boyfriend attitudes, IMHO, a place which do not have respect for their customers do not deserve any efforts from others to be "saved", as already suggested, the best thing is for the place to change ownership, save your good intention for whom deserve them, honestly!

I myself have never had a problem with the owner, have you ever been in there ? if so and you have read reports i suppose it all depends what attitude you go in there with

I myself have never had a problem with the owner, have you ever been in there ? if so and you have read reports i suppose it all depends what attitude you go in there with

Again, agree with cr ;):D

Cockney you might well be right in what you said, however, statistically is unlikely, i can understand some odd ones turning up with some issues, but when you start having 2, 3, 10, 20,....people, more or less pointing out at a certain familiar vibe going on there, it must to be some truth on it, what do you think?

Read some where before about a name change and colour scheme so here is my suggestion in memory of Martin why do we not paint it blue and white and call the place the Chelsea bar, that should keep a lot off the riff raff out like north Londoner's , scouser's and mancs not forgetting the Geordie's LOL

post-30776-0-44431100-1309405222_thumb.g

Cockney you might well be right in what you said, however, statistically is unlikely, i can understand some odd ones turning up with some issues, but when you start having 2, 3, 10, 20,....people, more or less pointing out at a certain familiar vibe going on there, it must to be some truth on it, what do you think?

we might both be right but you have to show me some proof of what you have read , on the other hand may just be some people not being happy with the place for some reason or another , easiest place to start spreading rumor's of how great a place is or how bad a place is, is a forum, only way you can find out is pay a visit

Read some where before about a name change and colour scheme so here is my suggestion in memory of Martin why do we not paint it blue and white and call the place the Chelsea bar, that should keep a lot off the riff raff out like north Londoner's , scouser's and mancs not forgetting the Geordie's LOL

Yes....that's what Surin needs. A little cliquey-like club members only atmosphere.