How To Go To Chiang Rai (From Bkk)

annilicious

I'm going to Chiang Rai for volunteer activity but I have to save money as much as I can, so I cut the airplane.

Now my choice are the bus and the train.

My plan is leaving bkk after work on Thursday 14th around 9-10pm and then back to bkk on Sunday night or Monday morning. (start working on Tuesday 19)

need information about the train and the bus, how much and how long does it take.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take Sombat Tour (google it for site). Afraid you may have to leave Bkk earliers because most buses leave around 7 pm to 8:30 pm. One-way trip is around 900 Baht (VIP Class). Cheaper fares available on other trips. Bring something to cover your eyes during the trip. Might help you sleep better.

Train service to Chiang Rai is not available. Nearest station is Chiang Mai which is 3.5 hours by bus to Chiang Rai. Good luck.

no train?..too bad..i never take the train in my whole life =(

So,

Sombat tour has 2 route tho

1. Ngao-Pa Yao-Chiang Rai/ vip 581THB, first class 904THB

2. Nakon Sawan-Tak-Lampang-Pa Yao- Chiang Rai/ VIP 610

Could you confirm which one should I take?

I appreciate your kind advise. Khob Khun Ka =)

You could come by train...To Chiangmai and have a 3hr bus ride from there. Aircon 1st class and VIP busses go several times a day. THe train ride is long and slow but can be quite comfortable and you can get a good nights sleep and some nice views. Just be a bit careful of your valuables and acepting open drinks from strangers.

You could take either route because it both ends at Chiang Rai. The Ngao-Phayao-CRai route is a bit shorter than the other that goes through Tak and Lampang Province. However, if I drive a car, I take the Tak/Lampang route because it is a divided highway (much safer). Trip takes around 11 hours. So be forewarned. Bus has a toilet on board. Bus makes that goes through Ngao makes a stop at Pitsanuloke for a late night snack.

So,

So,

Really no loss on the train. not that glamorus - Never agian for me.

Bus is really what time works best for you and what is avalable when you get there to the bus station.

@Harrry - I would love to take the train but it seems I ain't got much time cuz i have to be at Chiang Rai on 14 Thu morning then go to Laos with other people. We are building school in Laos, cement mixing and construction stuff, so energy must be saved smile.gif

@Jubby - round trip to CEI is around 5000THB (14-17 holiday season) sad.gif

@toybits - I might take Ggao-Phayao-CRai route tho,,,time save smile.gif

@JeffreyMcCollum - well, i don't really afraid of burglar bcuz i got nth to be crook LOLand yeah, bus is the best choice for me inthis situation biggrin.gif

Thank you all for your kind advise! khob khun mak mak ka!jap.gif

note - *not advertisement* recruit for volunteer at Nam Pook village (Laos)- build the school- adventure tripdonate and for more info, google the mirrorfoundation.orgsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by annilicious

If you need to be there Thursday morning, you'll have to leave Wednesday night.

Buses leave Mo Chit bus station at around 7pm to arrive at around 7 am

There's an Air Asia flight at 7:40pm, arrives in CR an hour and 20 minutes later, flying would give you more time to do your work, also more power!

If you do want, or need, to take the bus, you can buy the ticket at the bus station.

Good luck with your volunteer work. I hope you enjoy Laos :)

@bifftastic

Thank you very much for your advise =)

I would love to fly but i spent most of the money for the donation and construction so i have limited budget for this trip LOL

I'm taking the bus leaving bkk at 19.50 on 14 Thursday. gotta be very hectic cuz i get off work at 5.30 think I should take PM sick leave tho hahahaha+

woooo! cant wait for the day i dont have to see my bossy boss! :D

Sombat Tour route #2 is better, smoother, and much safer. I prefer to drive or ride a bus on that routing if available.

I have driven route #1 many times. Lots of undivided mountain winding highway. Vehicles passing on blind curves etc.

Travel times are about the same, but I personally think route #2 is quicker even if a little bit further milage.

If you can afford to fly, you should, given the short working trip (should be less than 2,000 each war including taxes especially with Air Asia or 1 2 Go Air. Smetimes also have special fare promo's).

@bifftastic

Thank you very much for your advise =)

I would love to fly but i spent most of the money for the donation and construction so i have limited budget for this trip LOL

I'm taking the bus leaving bkk at 19.50 on 14 Thursday. gotta be very hectic cuz i get off work at 5.30 think I should take PM sick leave tho hahahaha+

woooo! cant wait for the day i dont have to see my bossy boss! :D

BTS to Mo Chit and taxi 50 baht to the bus station :) Taxis are waiting outside the BTS station.

My wife has taken the bus many times on that route, but I can't remember the name of the company! I see the bus all the time in Chiang Saen...sorry can't remember!

have a good trip and enjoy your volunteering! :)

If you can, it would be nice to see some photos after you get back!

Try Siam First Tour, VIP cost 672 BAHT (BKK-CR) and look at the link below for pictures.

Siam First Tour <--- pictures

If you plan to cross to Laos, so maybe you should book a ticket that go straight to Chiang Khong. Where will you be crossing the border?

For direct route BKK-Chiang Khong cost standard price 634 BAHT and VIP 739 BATH.

Their website.

http://www.siamfirst.co.th/index.asp

Edited by konjianghai

Another website to check all bus route, reserve - buy ticket ect.. P.S only in TH language though.

You can choose your main station in BKK, final destination (provincial or district) , various Bus company to pick.

http://www.thairoute.com/homepage/

Oh Siam First leave from Mo Chit and from their Main Garage at Wat Samian Naree. Contact them for more info.

Edited by konjianghai

Thank you khonjianghai for your advise.

But I booked the round trip ticket with Sombat Tour already :(

I will arrive Chiang Rai around 4 in the morning so what should I do while waiting for other people in 8am?

any recommend?

and I also have to wait for the bus back to bkk on 17th around 8pm.

i might have 4 hours available before leaving Chiang Rai.

by the way, i went to Chiang Rai last year for volunteering in early morning and I just had a great coffee around Por Khun Meng Rai monument.

and that was all i do before leaving to the mountain.

I will arrive Chiang Rai around 4 in the morning so what should I do while waiting for other people in 8am?

any recommend?

by the way, i went to Chiang Rai last year for volunteering in early morning and I just had a great coffee around Por Khun Meng Rai monument.

As the bus terminal is about 6km out of town and CR is not the liviest at that time of the morning I think it may be best to just sit and wait and read.

On the way back I am sure you will find something for 4 hrs but if you like my wife and I could give you a quick drive round the town if you do not mind old people. PM me if you do not get a better offer.

any recommend?

As the bus terminal is about 6km out of town and CR is not the liviest at that time of the morning I think it may be best to just sit and wait and read.

On the way back I am sure you will find something for 4 hrs but if you like my wife and I could give you a quick drive round the town if you do not mind old people. PM me if you do not get a better offer.

ok, maybe reading in a good coffee shop is the best one

I would love to do the tour and I don't mind old people but my plan was walking down the street and feel CR life with my backpack :D

Thank you for your offer. I appreciate that :)

any recommend?

ok, maybe reading in a good coffee shop is the best one

I would love to do the tour and I don't mind old people but my plan was walking down the street and feel CR life with my backpack :D

Thank you for your offer. I appreciate that :)

A 2hr Massage in Jetyod Rd would be my way of losing a couple of hours, followed by breakfast in the Thai-Chinese restaurant that is near by .

• 2 weeks later...

Getting in so early at about 4 or 5 am, stop by the WCH Hamburger downtown near the old bus station.

They are open 24 hours days a week. They shoulc have coffee, liquid refreshments, and maybe even a western style reakfast.

Or Pizza or Burgers if your so inclined.

They also have a couple of Big Screen Tv's with True UBC programing.

Just an idea to help pass time until you meeet with your friends or group.

I no longer endorse the Thai chinese restaurant after eating there for many years due to recent Farang overpricing and their attitude toward foreigners.

It may be possible to get a thai massage in the old town area, but not sure where at these early hours.