Me Giving Back To The Board

fm2002

Ok as I'm a foodie and am looking forward to sampling CR finest foods I decided I'd put some effort into consolidating the "Good Restaurants in CR" thread. Went through all 14 pages and listed in a spreadsheet (see attachment) for the most part the restaurants mentioned. First I need the people in the know to make corrections. Which ones are no longer opened, mis spelled etc. Once I have that we can start adding detail to the ones listed; cuisine, price, rating system. I've noticed that most are listed on Sven Goggle Map so if possible I would like to have a link to each in the location section of the spreadsheet. Of course along with Sven's permission I would need his help with restaurants that need to be added to his Map.Finally we would add new restaurants as they become available.This is all a work in progress and by no means am I appointing myself the expert. Instead I found the Good Restaurants Thread hard to use. Hopefully this will make it much easier.Suggestions, constructive criticism, etc. appreciated.

post-25557-0-07935200-1309167393_thumb.j

Don't forget to tryout all the various restaurants on all three floors of the Mall. As previously suggested in another thread, don't try to do them all in one day. :D

VF, any restaurants worthy of merit in there? B)

Don't forget to tryout all the various restaurants on all three floors of the Mall. As previously suggested in another thread, don't try to do them all in one day. :D

I won’t touch that “worthy of merit” comment but there is something for everyone, from cheap to expensive and from Thai to Farang. The Japanese places are popular and even saw the owner of Da Vinci next to us in Fuji today.

Lots of choice under one roof, out of the rain, no loud music, cool clean air, no traffic, no pollution, no bugs, and clean bathrooms. On top of that, shopping and people watching at its best in the Rai. :)

I won't touch that "worthy of merit" comment but there is something for everyone, from cheap to expensive and from Thai to Farang. The Japanese places are popular and even saw the owner of Da Vinci next to us in Fuji today.

Lots of choice under one roof, out of the rain, no loud music, cool clean air, no traffic, no pollution, no bugs, and clean bathrooms. On top of that, shopping and people watching at its best in the Rai. :)

Fair enough, looking forward to checking the place out. What's it like for big bike parking?

Edited by Garry

I won't touch that "worthy of merit" comment but there is something for everyone, from cheap to expensive and from Thai to Farang. The Japanese places are popular and even saw the owner of Da Vinci next to us in Fuji today.

Fair enough, looking forward to checking the place out. What's it like for big bike parking?

The MCs are supposed to park in one of two areas, one covered one uncovered. For a bike like yours you would probably want to go when there is plenty of elbow room. I have not tried yet to bribe someone to park with the cars underground.B)

Next to Tops are parking places or disabled. The first one is occupied by bikes. From whom I dont know. I think you can join them. Not my favorate solution because also that lot is for disabled and the covered parking for bikes is 2 meters from there.

I would guess the spreadsheet ought to be in the "Good Restaurants in CR" thread.

I debated posting it there and I agree it's ultimate home should be there, but wanted to give it more attention by starting on it's own thread.

Hey Kandahar you post alot about restaurants and quite a few on the list come from you (Limbo and Sven too). How about giving it a look and see what needs to be corrected?

Sounds like a plan!

It would be great to be able to not only read about a restaurant, but find it on the map directly from the restaurant guide page.

Great idea! :)

Thanks. Kind of envision it like a WikiRai for restaurants. However I need to learn a few things on how to do it. For example you cannot upload a excel file to TVF. So I will definitely need help on different levels; technical, guide structure and of course restaurants.

I suspect some will be apprehensive at first, but I hope once it gets going they will come on board.

Any and all restaurants are welcome. Theres no such thing as bad input. However I would suspect chains like McDonalds, Fuji and MK are pretty much the same everywhere you go.

Sounds like a plan!

It would be great to be able to not only read about a restaurant, but find it on the map directly from the restaurant guide page.

Great idea! :)

Thanks. Kind of envision it like a WikiRai for restaurants. However I need to learn a few things on how to do it. For example you cannot upload a excel file to TVF. So I will definitely need help on different levels; technical, guide structure and of course restaurants.

I suspect some will be apprehensive at first, but I hope once it gets going they will come on board.

Maybe it could link from the Google map to the spreadsheet? I'm not sure where you could upload it to though, that's above my pay grade :)

Another thought, not sure if it would work or not, maybe it doesn't have to be a spreadsheet? I mean you could use your spreadsheet to store the information on and have a Restaurant review page somewhere, if you have a blog or hosting site anywhere?

I'm just brainstorming here. I don't know how practical that might be.

:)

Quote fm2002:"I've noticed that most are listed on Sven Goggle Map so if possible I would like to have a link to each in the location section of the spreadsheet."

Concerning linking any given restaurant to Sven's map, that is easy, whether you stay with the spreadsheet version or go with a different format. Just find the restaurant on his map, right-click on the icon of that restaurant and select "Center map here" and then select zoom, zoom zoom until you have gotten as close as you can. At that point, go to the upper right hand corner of the map and click on the "Link" icon. Drop boxes open there and you can copy the URL from the "Paste Link" box. Copy the URL in that box and paste it into whatever you are typing your review in.

For example, here is the link for Nice Kitchen in close-up concerning its location on the map.

http://maps.google.c...0.0014,0.002411

Click on it and it shows the restaurant icon for Nice Kitchen centered in the map. To see where you are in the city at that point, right click on the icon and zoom out until you see other landmarks that you are familiar with.

I have taken to making my own maps when I want to show where something is because:

1. I don't want to keep asking Sven to put something on the map for me. He has a real life and I hate to bother him.

2. Some of the items on the map are off enough that it would be misleading to someone trying to find it. Sven has corrected locations many times but things move anyway. I don't know why that happens. It has happened on some of the maps I have created in the past and sometimes, even after I make the correction, the next time I look, the thing has gone back to the wrong location.

That said, his map is already a lot of work done and a great start to the project you have undertaken.

However you do it, hours of operation, days of operation and phone number would be a good bit of info to have at your disposal. It sucks to drive, or walk, as we sometimes do, to a place for dinner and then find that the place is closed.

Edited by kandahar

Google Maps are really easy to setup so just do a separate restaurant map. Taking a photo of the front of the establishment when you go there and then posting that in the place marker is a nice touch. That ought to keep you busy for a few days. ;)

Thanks Scorpio,

I guess I'll have to a reccy in the SUV first to see what I'm up for.

It will be nice to see a dedicated restuarant map, seperate to all the other maps. As VF says, the maps are easy to make, add photos and info.

Looking forward to coming home. I'll be back in town in one month :D :jap:

Edited by Garry

Hi everyone,

I just saw this topic and I think it is a very good idea. Also to have a separate map for this because the present Chiang Rai map is already cluttered with almost 200 different places.

And to start a new map is very easy. Looking forward to see this project up and running!

:D:huh::)

• 3 weeks later...

Slow. It would be great help if some of the old timers could have a look at the list and tell me which ones are no longer open?! For example I looked for Tree House restaurant yesterday. I drove around and around and couldn't find it. Not saying it isn't there and in all honesty I only glanced at Sven's map before heading out, but I couldn't find it. Will try again. Been to a few of the others on the list. Once I've visited, photographed and did a personal review I'll start learning how to either add to Sven's map or start my own.

Have patience. AS with everything up here in the Rai things move slowly.

So, how is the map progressing? :)

Tree House is located on the South-East Corner of the Traffic lite just south of the Police Station.

Don't know the name of the streets, but the main street that goes from the nite bizzare to the new bridge over the Mae Kock river.

Slow. It would be great help if some of the old timers could have a look at the list and tell me which ones are no longer open?! For example I looked for Tree House restaurant yesterday. I drove around and around and couldn't find it. Not saying it isn't there and in all honesty I only glanced at Sven's map before heading out, but I couldn't find it. Will try again. Been to a few of the others on the list. Once I've visited, photographed and did a personal review I'll start learning how to either add to Sven's map or start my own.

Really, Sven's map is about a good as it gets. Here is a link that shows a little more of a close up as to the location of Tree House. However, do not look for a sign that has TREE HOUSE printed on it. If you click on this link, it should show Tree House in close-up on the map.

http://maps.google.c....00292,0.004823

About the map. When you open it, you can select, in the upper right hand corner, earth (map) view or satellite view. Satellite view allows a picture that I understand better because I can see the shapes of other things in the vicinity, even roof colors and that helps me to find things when I am out and about on the ground. You can also zoom in, using several methods, such as using the scrolling wheel on your mouse if you have one, adjusting the zoom slider bar on the left of the map, or right clicking on any icon and select zoom, again and again, until you are at the view you want.

Tree House on Sven's map misses the actual location by just a bit. It is actually located just to the left and up from where it appears on the map. It is, as KimoMax states, the building on THAT corner.

A good way to find anything that has been listed on the map is to find it in the legend on the left, click on the legend entry and it takes you right to the item you are searching for on the map.

You cannot add to Sven's map. He left it open for editing by anyone in the beginning but some people started playing and moving things miles away just for fun so he locked it. He is the only one who can make adjustments but if you PM him with a clear note about what you want to add or move, he is pretty good about taking care of that.

If you're keen on building your own map, stop by here any time and I can walk you through the basics in about five minutes. Just make sure you already have signed up with Google and have a log-in and ID for a G-mail address. Once you have that, all is easy.

Edited by kandahar

I forgot to mention that you can click and hold any point on the map and drag the map around, left, right up and down. That is much handier than the left, right, up, down arrows on the upper left corner of the map.

Edited by kandahar

Here is a link to a new Google-map that only have (and hopefully will have) locations for restaurants, bars and coffeshops in Chiang Rai province!

Restaurants, bars and coffeshops in Chiang Rai

Maybe we should start a new topic "Restaurants, bars and coffeeshops in Chiang Rai" and the moderator can replace the old one? ;)

:D:unsure::D

edit: It is open for everyone to contribute! We will see how that will go :huh:

Edited by svenivan

Here is a link to a new Google-map that only have (and hopefully will have) locations for restaurants, bars and coffeshops in Chiang Rai province!

Maybe we should start a new topic "Restaurants, bars and coffeeshops in Chiang Rai" and the moderator can replace the old one? ;)

Nice job. Thanks. I'll add a couple of places later.

Thanks Sven, more info for my SatNav in CR :)

Perfect Sven ! So will people be able to add to this or will it have to be submitted to you and you add it ?

Then can we have a map with only hotels in Chiang Rai. Then maybe one for hairdressers, please.

Good idea!

And maybe you can start a map with address to stupid people! :blink:

"FM2002: Perfect Sven ! So will people be able to add to this or will it have to be submitted to you and you add it ?"

Open for everyone to add restaurants, bars and coffeeshops!

:DB):D