Yoga/Meditation In Chiang Rai?

MfGlove

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Chiang Rai but I am looking for something therapeutic and mindful to do on my free time. Meditation and yoga has always interested me but I never had time to practice back home. I'd love to feed my mind and body with these disciplines and would be eager to learn. Does anyone know of any good yoga or meditation studios? I've emailed Katharina Bless at her Nada Yoga studio and she replied but she currently isn't in Chiang Rai and won't be that often anymore. I have been reading about sacred sound meditation and it's affect on mind expansion which is why I contacted her. With that said, I am however just a beginner but eager and excited to start so any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Aaron

Don’t know how we ended up on the mailing list but Prataap Jai advertises the following: Move your body!  Prataap Jai offers weekly movement lessons, from dance and yoga to workshops on meditation and Tai Chi.  All classes are taught in both Thai and English to appeal to both foreign and local communities.

recently in Aye's Deli, I noticed a couple notices...

one for AA meetings, one by the same person for meetings for meditation.

not sure why it's better to meditate in a group, but nevermind that.

A while back I met someone just back from a vipassana meditation course somewhere

just west of ChiangSaen, at a temple. Not far from the lake, I think, maybe west of there on the south side.

He liked it, and was clearly charged up,

almost electrified, it seemed.

Not sure if I ever put info about that in the chiangraiprovince site,

although I remember intending to do so. Maybe i discovered the temple name, maybe not...

anyway, there's meditation in lots of temples.

Found it: under massage (weirdly, sorry): "At Ban Muang Noi, Amphoe Wiang Pa Pao is the physically humble Sunshine House, where massage and meditation are taught. 80 km from Chiang Mai, just before the Hot Spring tourist trap, is a small turn-off across a fast stream. Several kilometers up a newly paved road is the Mae Tho River Valley royal agricultural project for Black Lahu, Lisu, Karen, Hmong and Akha resident peoples. In 1986, Ban Muang Noi Trekker Lodge opened there. A German Dharma teacher, Asokananda, then opened his Ayurvedic massage and Vipassana meditation center on the side of Doi Mot (Mu 8, Huai Nam Rin, or Lin, depending on one's abilities with l's and r's). E-mail [email protected] or [email protected] for more detailed information."

That's near the Hot Springs just this side of the CM/CR border, up in the hills by Trekker Lodge (maybe changed now,

not sure. Haven't been up in those hills for quite a while).

see also

http://www.lostinthailand.com/thailand-guides/thailand-guides/Chiang_Rai/Meditation_Centres.html

and

http://www.thaiguidetothailand.com/lifestyle-and-culture/northern-insight-meditation-center-vipassana-meditation/

Hope that helps.

I'm surprised that somebody has not yet mentioned the yoga classes at Chiang Rai Condotel daily aroud 5PM. Or is that perhaps where the " Katharina Bless at her Nada Yoga studio" was located? Anyway the classes at CRC appear well attended and I overhear that the attendees are complimentary. I have never participated myself.

Thanks a lot everyone! I'll check out CRC and see if it's the same as Mrs. Bless' class. Keep the info coming! Appreciated.

The room used for Yoga is by the pool.They have a notice by their door of times..Lessons are in the daytime too..Many locals go and I think they speak English as well...As the notice is in English and Thai.

PS park outside not in the Condo carpark as this is not allowed unless you are a resident..Good Luck