Warning! Viber Etc Are Not Free Here

I was quite surprised when I got my last AIS monthly statement charging me for what they claim have been 12 SMS to an undisclosed international number. I called AIS for clarification since I knew I haven't sent any such SMS abroad. They sent me a code to get the invoice details on the web.

There I found out that the number to which I had allegedly sent an SMS was the number of my SIL in New York Now. I positively knew that I had not used my phone's SMS services for these texts. I knew I had used "VIBER" a free text and VoI service... or maybe not so free.

So I called AIS again and told them so. They called me back a day later and explained that AIS charges a fee 9 THB for each text sent by VIBER.

So to make a long story short, VIBER is NOT free! Do not believe their advertisement. Although I do not use any services of AIS, although I send a text using my WiFi and Internet connection, AIS still charges 9 THB per text.

Now, I call that cheating, but I want to warn everybody who is using VIBER: It's not free, despite their advertisement.

I confess I am not familiar with Viber, but a quick read indicates it uses your WiFi or 3G connection for VoIP calls, and it includes a messaging app (similar to Whatsapp). With it you can send messages (not SMSes per se) to other registered Viber users. If the recipient is not a Viber user then you will default to the iPhone SMS platform, and the GSM network, in your case using AIS. Hence you paid 9.63 baht per SMS.

Is you SIL a registered Viber user? Did you use the Viber messaging app? Did you have 3G or WiFi?

Maybe remove the SIM and try to use the Viber messaging app?

You should probably re-review the Viber FAQs.

http://www.viberfaq.com/can-i-send-text-messages-with-viber/

I confess I am not familiar with Viber, but a quick read indicates it uses your WiFi or 3G connection for VoIP calls, and it includes a messaging app (similar to Whatsapp). With it you can send messages (not SMSes per se) to other registered Viber users. If the recipient is not a Viber user then you will default to the iPhone SMS platform, and the GSM network, in your case using AIS. Hence you paid 9.63 baht per SMS.

Is you SIL a registered Viber user? Did you use the Viber messaging app? Did you have 3G or WiFi?

Maybe remove the SIM and try to use the Viber messaging app?

You should probably re-review the Viber FAQs.

http://www.viberfaq.com/can-i-send-text-messages-with-viber/

Yes, yes and yes: SIL is a registered Viber user, Yes I used Viber and yes I used my home LAN with WiFi.

I had the same idea and switched the iPhone to Airplane Mode, but then Viber does not work anymore.

Moreover, Viber does not work (anymore) on an iPad (no phone services on the iPad!)

I read the whole web-site of Viber, including their FAQ, no hint about that. And no email address to contact them either.

But the person from AIS specifically confirmed that AIS is charging me for every and any text or call made through Viber.

Airplane mode turns off the GSM, 3G and WiFi radios. I specifically recommended removing the SIM, essentially turning GSM off and taking AIS out of the loop, and using WiFi and the Viber application. Can you send a Viber message?

It seems like the Viber messaging application defaults to GSM (AIS) if the recipient is not a registered Viber user. In your case it seems like the Viber application is not working for you properly, so SMSes get routed via GSM. Maybe the recipient has to be on line? Or maybe Viber needs to be properly configured?

In any event, this appears to be a Viber issue rather than an AIS issue. AIS is simply charging you for an international SMS, which is what you appear to be sending. AIS is not aware that these are "Viber messages". You might look at "Whatsapp" as that messaging app. seems to be widely accepted. And maybe an IM app. can address your messaging needs?

I think you can post in the Viber FAQ and a Viber support person will reply.

Edited by lomatopo

Airplane mode turns off the GSM, 3G and WiFi radios. I specifically recommended removing the SIM, essentially turning GSM off and taking AIS out of the loop, and using WiFi and the Viber application. Can you send a Viber message?

It seems like the Viber messaging application defaults to GSM (AIS) if the recipient is not a registered Viber user. In your case it seems like the Viber application is not working for you properly, so SMSes get routed via GSM. Maybe the recipient has to be on line? Or maybe Viber needs to be properly configured?

In any event, this appears to be a Viber issue rather than an AIS issue. AIS is simply charging you for an international SMS, which is what you appear to be sending. AIS is not aware that these are "Viber messages". You might look at "Whatsapp" as that messaging app. seems to be widely accepted. And maybe an IM app. can address your messaging needs?

I think you can post in the Viber FAQ and a Viber support person will reply.

Thanks Iomatop for your valuable input. I will continue to find out what is really happening.

Of course, Airplane mode switches off WiFi but I can switch it on again without leaving Airplane mode.

What upset me was the information given by AIS, that they know of Viber and that they do charge for Viber calls and texts.

Meanwhile I use WhatsApp for text and multimedia files, but with WhatApp I cannot talk to others.

Use whatsapp to send text and use viber to call. That solves problem

Hi all,

This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

I saw the concerns raised in this forum and I'd like to respond:

Viber is a totally FREE application. We don't charge you for anything - not for the application, nor for the calls or texts.

Viber allows the option to dial a REGULAR CALL from within the application (a cellular call, just like calls from your main iPhone app) for users' convenience. This doesn't mean that we (Viber) benefit from these calls.

We cared to add a warning message once a user decides to use this option and place a regular call from inside Viber.

Also - of course, Viber uses 3G data when it makes a call. WiFi, however, is completely free.

If you have more questions, let me know,

Viber.