Land Dept Claims 90% Of Prime Phuket Land Controlled By Foreigners

I thought over 99 % of Thai business was already in foreign hands...when you count also the Thai Chinese in. Original Thais are of farmers of factory workers, hardly factory staff.

The Thai attitude towards foreigners let me decide in 2006 to leave this country with my business.

Can you ever imagine a farang being mayor of a big city in Thailand, like a Maroccan born man mayor or Rotterdam, or 7 out of 150 members of parlement in Netherlands of non-Dutch birth.

When you farangs finally understand you are ONLY and ONLY tolerated and never accepted when you leave a lot of money, knowledge etc.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look at it mathematically,,, checking out ownership of 1 Billion rai at a rate of 100 per day with (let's be generous on Thai Official work effort) 300 working days per year, it will take 33,333 years to get it done.

so the 40 people who own 12% of Thailand's wealth want a bit more?

i seem to remember something like this emerging from Phuket before - methinks some official has got a bit of a complex? (forgive the pun)

Yes sounds like a bit of nationalistic chest pumping so the Chinese autocracy can make a land grab and blame it on farang... what else is new?

The term foreigner can mean other races, not just white.

A politician coming up with such an anti-foreigner agenda in Germany and most other parts of Europe would immediately be branded a NAZI and be out of his job after a big public outcry would rumble through the media.

This is one of the days where I think that the Thais would like it best if all foreigners would just land at the airport, toss their cash, credit cards and valuables onto the runway, take a photo and then bugger off back home. Wouldn't such travel be a nice niche? You would not even need a VIsa since the airplane would simply make a u-turn on the runway and bring you back to where you came from.

This all is again a grim reminder to the fact that us foreigners here in Thailand are second class people to them, not worth a toss... Why not worldwide do an eye-for-an-eye retribution and strip all Thai people off the land they have been granted to legally own by a 100% and ban >only Thai people< worldwide in all countries from owning land, threatening them to be deported and punished? Wouldn't that be just fair after all that "Farangs get out of here" bullshit Thai authorities come up with on a frequent basis?

I'm here since 20 years now and even though it would ruin my own business, I strongly believe that Thailand would really deserve that people of all nations would suddenly realize how much most of the nicely smiling Thais dislike (or should I say hate?) foreigners and as a result never return here again, and bring their money elsewhere. A total collaps of the Thai economy as a result of their stupid ongoing anti-farang-agenda - wouldn't you just love to see that?

What I believe is that 90% of prime Phuket land is in the hands of filthy rich Thai/Chinese families... and I'm quite certain that I am as close to the truth as one can be. What they want is the remaining 10%... Give us white people a break, would you, please?

It seems that the Democat party is going to lose the elections in Phuket too. First Bangkok, now Phuket. Time therefore to whip up populist sentiment. Did the land department gave out a list with the land, shoppiongcenters and hotels Thai elite holds abroad? Probably not.

I wonder how this will affect married couples. The authorities know that when a foreigner marries a poor Thai woman, and they buy a house together, which is put in her name, that the money came from the foreigner. I suppose we all have to find ways to make it look like the money came from her. The silly consequence is that if the land is confiscated, the Thai wife will lose both her home and husband. .....

If a Foreigner marries a Thai girl and they buy land/house in the Thai Wifes name, the foreigner has to sign a document at the Land Office (when the House / Land is transferred from 1 owner to another) that states, that the money to buy the house/land was from the Wife before they got married. So I don't see a problem there.

It is explained here: Foreigners are not allowed to have co-ownership in land together with a Thai spouse. http://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/land-ownership-and-thai-spouse.html

Yes.. Those pesky farangs, coming to thailand, spending massive amounts of money (to Thais) to then put the land in a Thai name and not own it..

Grrrr.. What will they think of next... time for a crackdown !!

This is going to do wonders for the real estate market here, just at a time when they need all the help they can get. :(

Well at just put me off a 10 Mio land investment- good one thai ministers. Will invest in your competing countries. Soverign risk getting far too high in Thai now IMO.

Between the REDS 'likely' to win, to taksin coming back, to miliatary coup, to changes in foreign biz\land rules, etc. It all a joke....

SIMPLY do as some do- tax foreigners MORE to own up to certain amount per individual for personal usage (Business different naturally). Then the Ministers will gain huge amounts in extra taxes, etc. BUT No they cannot make it that simplistic- the fear of the unknown has put me off large purchases in thailand. Many with far more than me feel the same....risk simply too high.

If i had a voice i would suggest 3% more tax to foreigners to own up to 1 RAI for personal usage in their own name. If wish to be greedy make it 5%. better than current rules.

WHAT happened to the rule stating if foreigner invests over 40 Mil baht in thai they entitled to put 1 RAI in own name. Is that still around? Yet will not help 95% of us. Who have no interest or cannot afford to invest 40 mil baht in thai. plus we really do not believe it as even the national anthem states ' every inch of thai belong to Thai'. Yet in our homeland they can buy whatever they wish, within reason. Only exception being HUGE commodity biz's or certain industries.

Personally they can own whatever they wish to in our land. COME on simply make it more fair for us to have our slice of paradise as well, without any concerns. Or we rent.... invest elsewhere as most do IMO.

Fear and greed rules the world- currently as an investor I fear Thailand. Not good for Thai economy going forward if they wish to run things correctly. Stick to Condos....MY 2 Cents.

Cheers JAY

so the 40 people who own 12% of Thailand's wealth want a bit more?

i seem to remember something like this emerging from Phuket before - methinks some official has got a bit of a complex? (forgive the pun)

Yes sounds like a bit of nationalistic chest pumping so the Chinese autocracy can make a land grab and blame it on farang... what else is new?

The term foreigner can mean other races, not just white.

Very true but is that what they mean or do they mean just westerners?

Chiang Mai music scene slaughtered. Now this. At least the musicians get to take their instruments home with them. This announcement is talking about confiscating the land, which of course means the developments upon that land.

The story we know: Man falls in love with charming Thai lady. Marries, builds house, lays out cash to help the extended family, then those same in laws decide it's time for divorce and throw him out, with nothing. The same charming Thai lady marries new sucker ... ad infinitum

Can you see any similarity with this new threat?

the day before the general election blame it all not on the local ruling class, but on those pesky foreigners - so confused voters would cast their vote on the status quo and "social order" parties.

nationalistic frenzy is the best way to divert an attention from the real (and not an imaginary) social issues, like poverty and lack of justice.

kun sriracha is a good lapdog of the army, that's why he was appointed a member of Constitution Drafting Committee back in 2007, why he got a cushy job in the one of the most corrupted governmental departments and why he has spoken now about the foreigners

The election has got nothing to do with it, as just how many Thai's will even get to hear about this as they are insulated from the rest of the world and even their own country most of the time when it comes to serious news. If they had intentioned it to garner votes then they would have released a statement at least 2 weeks ago and publicised the fact in Thai newspapers. Even then I don't think that it would have any affect on swaying voters votes. Maybe Phuket would be an exception but that will be Democrat anyway as the mid-South is Abhisit all the way, so no change there either!!

Why is it nationalistic and not understandable? Foreigners owning land has been illegal for a long time already. Foreigners buying land are doing it in a very dark grey area of the law and should know the risks if they cheat the law. Prosecuting foreigners who own land illegally of course will hurt Thailand in many other ways so they better be careful what they do. But I can understand it. If large areas of land are held illegally by foreigners I guess at some point there will be somebody who starts doing something against it.

They keep going back to the same bag of tricks!

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

"... and - oh - btw - greedy farang scofflaws are the cause of all problems here in almost-heaven..."

Next: a dusty strawman caricature of George Soros is being hauled out of a secret vault to be cleaned and prepared for deployment.

A few weeks ago in one of the English language papers I thought I read an article about Thai land law reform, and there it was strongly suggested that the new law should include an amnesty for foreigners holding land via Thai nominees. I think it even mentioned granting legal title to them for small holdings with a private dwelling. Now all of a sudden they are going to steal the farang's land and house, and deport him? Somebody seems to have got of of bed on the wrong side this morning.

No worries in Australia,

We have already sold off the land to foreigners such as the Hong Kong Chinese.

And all quite legally!

Reminds me on Hongcouver and never mind, he was only carefully not to spill the baby with the water... it's here very much the same problem, up Chiang Mai large scale Orange/Tangerine plantations and other agricultural produce, wasn't it one of the brainchilds of the in 2006 ousted government with absolute majority rule, but then as I can remember it's supposed to be middle eastern "investors" in the "ailing" rice producing sector - today a kilo is 40 Baht which couple of years ago was just less then half that... chekc the www. for chinese "investment" in Madagascar... humangous plots!

It never ceases to amaze me that when this subject arises from time to time, they always hurl the accusations at the purchasers of land and never the sellers.

Please note if you purchased your land using a Thai company, this company will have gone through an approval process. If approved it will have been stamped as approved by an agent of the Thai government and they will have accepted the fee.

Then when the purchase was carried through, the process would be stamped and approved by an agent of the Thai Govt. and they will have accepted the fee and any taxes due.

People who "mouth off" like this particular individual should start looking inwards at their own culpability in this matter and consider the can of worms they might stir up for themselves if they decide to do anything about it.

If they want to change the law now to affect future purchases that's up to them but they should not look retrospectively at past aquisitions where they have clearly been complicite by approval.

I used to in the past get upset by the fact that so many foreigners owned so much of England. Then I thought about it and recognized that they couldn't pack it in a suitcase and take it away. It's still England and they are just taking care of part of it for a while and paying for the privelege.

Cheers.

But AIS & DTAC is ok to be held by Nominees

There is a question mark about DTAC's Thainess, raised by one of it's competitors on account of them breaking the rules as they are challenging them on what nationality the owners are. DTAC claim that they are Thai owned and their competitor states otherwise. Or something along those lines.

This is going to do wonders for the real estate market here, just at a time when they need all the help they can get. :(

And I strongly suspect the value of real estate is going to plummet for a while after the election. If and I think it is a BIG IF, they manage to push through this legislation and more importantly implement it, there could be an awful lot or properties, both large and small that will be demolished. It will then be up to the Thais who buy the land to rebuild the properties, particularly hotels and rental properties to an acceptable standard and to run them. The Thai Law Makers could do well to looking at how other Countries manage the sale of land, not only for private use, but commercial as well. I wonder if the Thai bureaucracy is in cahoots with My Wife? I wonder what life is like in Cambodia on my own and will I get Thai Visa there?

Edited by robertson468

Hey Somchai who wants a free resort. These stupid bloody farangs have come here and invested billions of baht developing our land and created one of the most popular tourist destinations in South East Asia. Tourists are comming by the thousands every year to stay in these places developed by farangs, bringing thier wallets with them. Somchai we can be rich all we have to do is draft a law kick them out and all thier wealth will be ours for the taking and perfectly legal no scams required.

90 % .......so what ! we are driving your economy...why o why dont you get it? i want to start a business here in Thailand, but now i am seriously thinking about relocating to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam..or even Philippines!

Some one please get real, at least Thaksin knew where the money was coming from !

well pis_sed of !

These are extremely tiny, insecure, fearful, and small men, who are constantly trying to drum up the waves of nationalist sentiment. They are hopelessly behind the curve. The current land laws were put into effect about 50 years ago, to prevent the Vietnamese people from acquiring massive amounts of land here. The laws are hopelessly outdated, and like so many things in this incredibly unprogressive nation that we love and call home, need to be re-visited, and revised. This nonsense about Pattaya beachfront land being 90% foreign owned, is simply a scare tactic, meant to help get Abhisit re-elected. Status quo, and nothing more than that. There is no intelligence behind it. No creativity. No brains at all. Just powermongering, by very, very weak men.

I was about to outsource task from my danish company to a thai company..................... but hell no, why do i want to support a country like this. Time to go to cambodia and vietnam to find partners. No tax or salary to thais

You're right Koratfarang and for you this message came just in time: this is a sheer schizofrenic chauvinistic dodgy reaction and attitude from Thailand, clearly demonstrating their fears of having to fairly compete against other [neighboring] countries. Protectionism of the highest degree. This country is not ready for ASEAN (and will never be)!!! Time indeed to start looking at more genuine hospitality in Cambodia, Vietnam and even Laos and no longer waste our time [and money] in this country...

enough est assez, is genoeg und genug...