Settlement Visa - Spouse Letter Of Support - (Uk)

Hi all,

I am putting the last bits of my supporting documents folder together and decided that I needed to get the sponsors letter out of the way.... September will soon fly round.

Something I have been putting off as there is a big age difference and don't really know how to make it sound more smooth.... normal... not a big issue....(if you understand what I mean). Maybe its just me?

Anyway, had a go at it.... grabbed ideas from all over the place and cobbled this together.....

Would any of the more experienced amongst you like to Critique the content it for me.

Thanks in advance

VFS

Global

2nd Floor, Regent House

183 Rajdamri Road

Lumpini, Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

Dated Sometime September 2011

Dear Sirs,

Re : Application for a Settlement Visa by Ms XXXXXX

I write in support of my wife, Ms XXXXX's application to come and live with me, in the United Kingdom.

Brief Background

I am a British National. I am fifty-eight years old, a qualified professional and employed as a Health & Safety & Human Resources manager in a firm in the North West of England and have been for the past 9 years.

I am legally married to XXXXXX who is a Thai national. Before we married, XXXXXX was single and at twenty-one, had not been married or had any serious relationships or children. I was divorced, with one son who is grown up, he lives away from home and is self-supporting.

Relationship History

We met on the 20th March 2011 when I was onholiday visiting a friend who lives on the outskirts of Pattaya. XXXXXX was visiting her Aunty YYYYY with her mother, her Aunty also lives just outside Pattaya. There was attraction on both sides and I eventually asked her if she would like to go out for dinner. XXXXXX speaks and understands English at a good level as she was undertaking a part time college course taught in English.

Over the next few days we struck up a close friendship that quickly developed into a relationship. For the remainder of my month in Thailand we were inseparable. We stayed together at my Hotel, apart from a 4 day visit to her village where I met the remainder of her family and after I asked forher parents' permission, we decided to get engaged and had our engagement celebration in the village.

With her parents blessing, we both returned to Pattaya, as I had already paid for the Hotel for a month, we travelled out on days from there for the remainder of my holiday time in Thailand developing our relationship.

In due course I had to return to England in April. Myself and XXXXXX made plans that she would go back and live with her parents in the Buriram area, working on the family farm / rubber plantation and returning to apart time college course that she has been undertaking for the past two years. I would help to support her whilst we were apart and we planned that if all went well, I would return and we would Marry after six months (we felt that this would give us both time to test our relationship whilst being apart, even thoughwe had very strong feelings, lots in common, and similar plans and wants for the future).

During the following five months, we were in contact constantly,we talked every day, sometimes as much as 4 or 5 times per day for extended periods of time, by phone or on Skype with web cam, we would also send eachother SMS messages etc.

We both were finding it harder and harder to be apart so after 5 months and a lot of planning I returned to Thailand, XXXXXX met me and my son (who had come to Thailand with me to be my best man) at the airport, and after obtaining all the documentation required from Bangkok we had both a traditional Thai Buddhist wedding with all the family in her village and then a legally registered one at the local amphor.

Current Circumstances

I am a salaried professional and my basic salary is £ZZZZZ per month gross, £ZZZZZ net. I also have a benefits package that includes a company car, free fuel, mobile telephone and calls. I rent a three bedroom property in the village of SSSSSS in Lancashire.

I live reasonably well in the UK, spending my salary on myself and saving a reasonable amount each month. I can comfortably afford to support XXXXXX both now and when she comes to the UK, although she wishes to eventually work in the UK to contribute to the financial pot. We have talked about her working in a local Thai restaurant where I am sure she could obtain afront of House position.

In addition to the above, I have a reasonable amount of savings that I can draw upon if required.

At the time of presenting this Application, I am about to return to the UK, where over the next few months, time will be spent decorating our house and planning our future days together, I hope to return to Thailand late December, when I can collect and bring my wife XXXXXX back to the UK where we can live together.

Future Plans

We both wish to live as man and wife in the UK for the foreseeable future, returning to Thailand over the coming years annually for family holiday visits, and to prepare for my possible retirement in about 10 years.

I thank you for taking the time to read this support letter and trust that you will view XXXXXX's application favorably and allow us to live as man and wife in the UK.

Edited by Frogster

hi, i would maybe describe the house you will be living in. - the rooms and layout. i presume you have included a copy of the rental agreement (and there is no restriction on allowing your wife to stay in the house?) and photos of the house. maybe put your contact details on the letter. have you supplied an index so the ECO can easily find your supporting papers? have you included your skype chat records? and included plane tickets, photos of you and her and her family, hotel receipts etc? have you got a letter from your employer?

the settlement letter is a very important letter. you can only really talk about, your relationship, and future together, your work, income and savings, and accomodation. you do not want to write too much but i would aim for 3 or 4 sides of an A4 page ( though it is completly up to you how much you write ). Maybe go into a little bit more detail on each of the topics i have mentioned.

my gf will be applying next week for settlement.

Good luck with your application

hi, i would maybe describe the house you will be living in. - the rooms and layout. i presume you have included a copy of the rental agreement (and there is no restriction on allowing your wife to stay in the house?) and photos of the house. maybe put your contact details on the letter. have you supplied an index so the ECO can easily find your supporting papers? have you included your skype chat records? and included plane tickets, photos of you and her and her family, hotel receipts etc? have you got a letter from your employer?

the settlement letter is a very important letter. you can only really talk about, your relationship, and future together, your work, income and savings, and accomodation. you do not want to write too much but i would aim for 3 or 4 sides of an A4 page ( though it is completly up to you how much you write ). Maybe go into a little bit more detail on each of the topics i have mentioned.

my gf will be applying next week for settlement.

Good luck with your application

Hi Kunash,

Firstly.... Good luck with your GFs application.

I have included a lot of what you mention already in my supporting docs folder..... didn't want to swamp the first post with loads of details but maybe I should inclued it here as it will be an important referenced part of the application.....

Appendix 1.1 Passport of Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.2 Birth Certificate of Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.3 Copy of Thai I.D. card for Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.4 C.R.O. Check for Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.5 TB Certificate issued by IMO for Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.6 A1 English Language Test Certification Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.7 Passport Identification Page of Mr ZZZZZZ

Appendix 1.8 Birth Certificate of Mr ZZZZZZ

Appendix 2.1 Council Confirmation of Register of Electors 2010 /2011

Appendix 2.2 Photographs of House of Mr ZZZZZZ

Appendix 2.3 Floor Plan of House

Appendix 2.4 Letter of support from Landlord – Change Tenancy Agreement

Appendix 2.5 Council Tax Bill 2010 & 2011

Appendix 2.6 Electricity & Gas - 12 month Statement of Account

Appendix 2.7 T V licence 2010 & 2011

Appendix 2.8 United Utilities Water Statement 2011 / 2012

Appendix 2.9 House Contents Insurance 2010 / 2011

Appendix 3.1 Certified Copy of Contract of Employment (Terms & Conditions of Employment / Service Agreement)

Appendix 3.2 Confirmation from Employer of Current & Continual Employment

Appendix 4.1 24 Monthly Pay Slips 2010 & 2011

Appendix 4.2 P60 End Of Year Certificate for 2010 and 2011

Appendix 4.3 12 months Bank Statements (Current Account)

Appendix 4.4 12 month Statement of Interest (Savings Account to April 2011)

Appendix 4.5 Copy Kassicorn Bank Book (Thailand) Savings Account 2011

Appendix 4.6 Most Recent Credit Card Statements

Appendix 4.7 Bank Confirmations of Transfer of Funds to Mrs XXXXX Bank

Appendix 5.1 Flight Confirmation Boarding Pass March / April 2011

Appendix 5.2 Photographs Holiday Pattaya

Appendix 5.3 Receipt for Hotel March / April 2011

Appendix 5.4 Photographs at Holiday Village, engagement etc

Appendix 5.5 Receipt for Hotel in Village April 2011

Appendix 5.6 Photographs Holiday with Family

Appendix 5.7 Flight Confirmation Boarding Pass September 2011

Appendix 5.8 Photographs Holiday Bangkok

Appendix 5.9 Photographs Holiday Wedding

Appendix 5.10 Photographs Holiday Honeymoon

Appendix 5.11 Photographs Holiday Family

Appendix 6.1 Records of all SMS to / from Mr ZZZZZZ & Mrs XXXXX extracted from iphone using i-phone SMS explorer

Appendix 6.2 Skype Receipt page for pre paid calling plan “Unlimited World”

Appendix 6.3 Skypemobile calls to Mrs XXXXX using Skypemobile, calls extracted using Skype export to Excel.

Appendix 6.4 SkypeVideo Call Log, extracted from Skype online record page

Appendix 6.5 Examples of screen shots of original Skype records prior to extraction.

Appendix 7.1 Certified Copy of All Passport Pages Mr ZZZZZZ

Appendix 7.2 Divorce Certificate of Mr ZZZZZZ

Appendix 7.3 Certified Affirmation to Marry Mr ZZZZZZ

Appendix 7.4 Copy of All Passport Pages Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 7.7 Marriage Certificate Mr ZZZZZZ & Mrs XXXXX

Frogstar, you letter seems fine.

However, I would say that your list of supporting documents includes much which is unnecessary.

I've amended your list to what I consider necessary, and made some comments in red.

Appendix 1.1 Passport of Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.2 Birth Certificate of Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.3 Copy of Thai I.D. card for Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.5 TB Certificate issued by IMO for Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.6 A1 English Language Test Certification Mrs XXXXX

Appendix 1.7 Passport Identification Page of Mr ZZZZZZ

Appendix 2.4 Letter of support from Landlord – Change Tenancy Agreement including confirmation accommodation is suitable and she can live there.

Appendix 4.1 24 Monthly Pay Slips 2010 & 2011 Only last 6 months needed.

Appendix 4.3 12 months Bank Statements (Current Account) Only last 6 months needed.

Appendix 4.4 12 month Statement of Interest (Savings Account to April 2011) Only last 6 months needed.

Appendix 4.5 Copy Kassi corn Bank Book (Thailand) Savings Account 2011

Appendix 4.7 Bank Confirmations of Transfer of Funds to Mrs XXXXX Bank

Appendix 5.2 Photographs Holiday Pattaya*

Appendix 5.4 Photographs at Holiday Village, engagement etc *

Appendix 5.6 Photographs Holiday with Family*

Appendix 5.8 Photographs Holiday Bangkok*

Appendix 5.9 Photographs Holiday Wedding*

Appendix 5.10 Photographs Holiday Honeymoon*

Appendix 5.11 Photographs Holiday Family*

* Just a selection of each, 40 to 50 in total.

Appendix 6.1 Records of all SMS to / from Mr ZZZZZZ & Mrs XXXXX extracted from iphone using i-phone SMS explorer

Appendix 6.2 Skype Receipt page for pre paid calling plan "Unlimited World"

Appendix 6.3 Skypemobile calls to Mrs XXXXX using Skypemobile, calls extracted using Skype export to Excel.

Appendix 6.4 SkypeVideo Call Log, extracted from Skype online record page

Appendix 6.5 Examples of screen shots of original Skype records prior to extraction.

Appendix 7.1 Certified Copy of All Passport Pages Mr ZZZZZ

Appendix 7.4 Copy of All Passport Pages Mrs XXXXX Not needed, they'll have the original.

Appendix 7.7 Marriage Certificate Mr ZZZZZZ & Mrs XXXXX

Although not strictly necessary I'd also include translations of her birth certificate and your marriage certificate. You'll probably need them in the UK anyway, particularly the marriage certificate, and it'll be cheaper to get them in Thailand than in the UK.

Hope this helps.

It's not fine and far from it.

Make it more factual and objective. Example: 'I am legally married to XXXXXX who is a Thai national. Before we married, XXXXXX was single and at twenty-one, had not been married or had any serious relationships or children. I was divorced, with one son who is grown up, he lives away from home and is self-supporting.'

Both single persons free to marry. I am divorced [date.] We married on [Marriage date.]

How you met sounds awful. They ask where and that can best be described as a place within Pattaya. But stating 'Pattaya' gives the obvious impression especially when she so readily stays with you and you describe the relationship as 'inseparable.' Really, it sounds so hackneyed and indicates a relationship of the worst kind.

Make it factual, almost diary like entries of what occurred. Stop writing it as if you are telling a story or delivering a narrative. Facts! Example 'In due course I had to return to England in April. Myself and XXXXXX made plans that she would go back and live with her parents in the Buriram area, working on the family farm / rubber plantation and returning to apart time college course that she has been undertaking for the past two years. I would help to support her whilst we were apart and we planned that if all went well, I would return and we would Marry after six months (we felt that this would give us both time to test our relationship whilst being apart, even thoughwe had very strong feelings, lots in common, and similar plans and wants for the future).

Returned to England April [year?]. XXXXX returns home to Buriram. I provide financial support [ appendix - proof.] October; my planned return to Thailand. Contact maintained by [ email, phone, letter, - appendix - proof.]

Remember, someone has to analyse this by sifting for facts. Feelings, emotions, hyperbole, fine sentiments don't come in to it or are helpful.

There is a back bone, a spine to the development of a relationship and it is that [time, date, place] that you need to establish and prove by supporting evidence in the appendix; the reference to what you say. Therefore, photographs of [time, date, place, activity.] are needed as is purchases, holiday time, events, etc.

But reduce these to facts. You are submitting a document of application. You are not trying to win this month's most romantic story in 'Take a Break' magazine.

Personally, I'd be dubious over your relationship for the reasons suggested earlier. You need to take out the age issue as that is your personal perception and fear, which others may not share. therefore, why highlight it. After all it is not an issue.

For some one in HR management you should be able to write the same kind of application that would constitute a report for work; objective, minimal and factual.

Take out the flannel and anything that you are clearly sensitive about.

It rings alarm bells.

Finally, the appendix lists suggested are over indulgent. The key material you need to consider is financial support, accomodation in the UK and relationship.

the first two are simple - factual. The latter needs to be the same. Time, date and place with all the trivia of an established relationship. For example life together really is, as the fast Show puts it, about 'Today I have been eating mainly ...'

The point is there is a minutiate thta you are going to list; the shopping, buying, visiting, birthdays, events, occasions etc etc. That is it.

You can group all that stuff in the suggested appendix and see that actually it is narrow ranging in its compass.

Be more confident in your style, less apologetic in approach and more demanding of outcome. it should be a formality after all.

Edited by housepainter

Ther is no reason to qoute age, I did mine by just giving them facts ,E.G proof of work, accomadtion, Income, ETC no need to write a story

Edited by 7by7
Unnecessary full quote of preceding post removed.

The facts are contained in the application form and the supporting documents.

The purpose of the sponsor's letter is to introduce sponsor and applicant and give any information, such as the history of their relationship, which may help the ECO reach a decision but is not contained in the VAF form or supporting documents.

Frogstar, to me your letter does just that; but it is up to you whose advice you follow.

I'm with housepainter and 7b7 on this, your original draft provides so much waffle that the ECO will probably speed read it and may miss the salient points. The ECO needs to be convinced that your relationship is genuine, you are already married, well you will be, but more importantly he or she needs to be convinced that you can support her in the UK, and they don't have a lot of time to make their decision.

I have re-worked your letter, feel free to do with it as you please, as 7by7 says, it's really up to you, it's your application.

Also, again as 7by7 has pointed out, don't overwhelm the ECO with supporting document's, his amended list is nearer the mark, but even then don't overdo the photos.

Entry Clearance Officer

UKBA

UK Embassy

Bangkok

Dated Sometime September 2011

Dear Sir or Madam

Re : Application for a Settlement Visa by Ms XXXXXX

I write in support of my wife, Mrs XXXXX's application to settle with me in the United Kingdom.

Brief Background

I am a British National and am a professional Health & Safety & Human Resources manager and have been in my current employment for 9 years, I am financially sound and able to support my family.

I am legally married to XXXXXX , before our marriage XXXXXX had not previously been married, I was divorced, with child who lives away from home and is self-supporting.

Relationship History

We met on the 20th March 2011 whilst I was on holiday in Thailand, we developed a close friendship that developed into a relationship. I visited her village where I met members of her family and, after I had asked her parents' permission, we were engaged to be married.

I returned to England in April, as originally planned. During the following five months, we were in contact constantly, we talked daily discussing our future plans, we communicated by phone or on Skype with web cam, we also send each other SMS messages etc; evidence of our contact's are contained with the supporting documents folder.

I returned to Thailand, XXXXXX and after obtaining the necessary documentation we were legally married at my wife's Amphur on XXXX 2011, this was followed by traditional Thai Buddhist wedding with her family members and friends, my son travelled with me from the UK to act as my "best man".

Current Circumstances

I am a salaried professional with a net salary of £ZZZZZ per month, evidence is supplied in the supporting documents folder, I am in receipt of benefits package that includes a company car, fuel, mobile telephone and calls for company and private use. I rent a three bedroom property in the village of SSSSSS in Lancashire, evidence of my home and my wife's ability to live there is contained in the evidence folder.

My salary allows me to live reasonably well in the UK, with an excess of income over expenditure. I am already supporting my wife and am confident that I can show I am able to support XXXXXX at our home in the UK. She wishes to eventually work in the UK to enable to contribute to the financial pot, we have discussed various positions that might be suitable for her.

At the time of writing this letter of support, I am about to return to the UK, where time will be spent decorating our house and planning our future together. It is my intention to return to Thailand late December, and travel with my wife to our home in the UK .

I thank you for taking the time to read this letter of support, I trust that we have been able to provide sufficient evidence that we are in a genuine and subsisting relationship, and that I am able to fully support my wife in our home in the UK.

Edited by theoldgit

Kev

I also agree with a lot of what <housepainter> says. Your original letter is as if you are writing to an agony aunt column about how it started out so well.....

Take out the emotive comments and write in a simple structure that your submitted documents support in the same order.

Make it easy for the ECO to tick the boxes he/she needs to tick. Remember, the ECO has "heard it all before".

Good luck.

Thank you one and all........

I wrote the original letter after being told by various others that in the support letter, I should mention "being in love", "how we met", "names addresses", "reasons", and the "story" of our meeting etc....

Some on here (and another forum) liked it, some didn't...

There are very opposite and opposing views as to what to include what not to include and how to structure it... It pretty much boils down to two schools of thought.....Tell them everything - (Story type letter) or Fact and nothing but the Fact (Brief Factual type letter), and I can see good reasons for both arguments... but still confused, and still left wondering.

I am happy to go either way and do whatever is going to give me the best chance, If only some one could say.... This is the best way to succeed (Because .... FACT) ????

I guess its a toss of the coin at the moment as to what to do. However I must say I like the Old Git's version, and am leaning slightly that way, thanks....

Thanks again everyone.

Would tend to agree the letter can be a bit more matter of fact especially in the relationship section. Rather than detail the numbers of calls etc. I know it is very cheeky to rewrite a letter for someone I don't know but please forgive my presumptuousness!!

Brief Background

I am a British National and am a professional Health & Safety & Human Resources manager and have been in my current employment for 9 years, I am financially sound and able to support my family.

I married XXXXXXXX on and enclose a copy of our marriage certificate. I understand it is not necessary to provide a translation into English.

Relationship History

I first met XXXXXXXXX on the 20th March 2011 whilst I was on holiday in Thailand. Over the next five months this developed into a strong relationship. I enclose copies of phone bills, Skype Headers and SMS messages (see section in supporting documents folder) showing frequent daily contact.

I returned to Thailand, XXXXXX and we were legally married at my wife's Amphur on XXXX 2011, this was followed by traditional Thai Buddhist wedding with her family members and friends, my son travelled with me from the UK to act as my "best man". Photocopies of relevant pages from our passports are in the documents bundle.

Please find labelled and dated photographs documenting our relationship.

Current Circumstances

I am a salaried professional with a net salary of £ZZZZZ per month. I am in receipt of benefits package that includes a company car, fuel, mobile telephone and calls for company and private use. I rent a three bedroom property in the village of SSSSSS in Lancashire, evidence of my home and my wife's ability to live there is contained in the evidence folder. I enclose a copy of my tenancy agreement and letter from my landlord confirming permission for my wife to live at the address.

I enclose my last six months wage slips and bank statements confirming my ability to provide for my wife without recourse to public funds. My wife will be able to work once she has been issued with a settlement visa and this will provide extra family income.

Unfortunately due to work pressures I am about to return to the UK but intend to return to Thailand late December, and travel with my wife to our home should her visa application be successful.

I thank you for taking the time to read this letter of support, I trust that we have been able to provide sufficient evidence that we are in a genuine and subsisting relationship, and that I am able to fully support my wife in our home in the UK.

Please feel free to contact us on XXXXXXXXXXXXX should you have any questions regarding this application.

Yours etc

i too would go for a factual letter.

and in the letter, if you are referring the ECO to your documents folder, to see a photocopy of a passport, foor example, i would write a reference in the letter so they can easily find it. for example

I have included a copy of my passport with relevant visa stamps (see section ??)

it makes it so much easier for the eco to find it

Edited by kunash

On mine - albeit 14 years ago (almost to the day!) - I added that I had a Bupa policy that would be extended to cover her so that there would be not recourse to the NHS or public purse. I think that little things like that help show that your are interested in being together as H & W and will not cost the Bitish tax payer a jot (of course kids will cost - NHS, schooling, child allowance etc - but they will be British anyway by vitue of you - so no worries).

On mine - albeit 14 years ago (almost to the day!) - I added that I had a Bupa policy that would be extended to cover her so that there would be not recourse to the NHS or public purse. I think that little things like that help show that your are interested in being together as H & W and will not cost the Bitish tax payer a jot (of course kids will cost - NHS, schooling, child allowance etc - but they will be British anyway by vitue of you - so no worries).

On a settlement visa the applicant is entitled to full NHS treatment. The ECO should only be interested in the merits of the application. The more 'waffle' the quicker the scan.

• 4 weeks later...

And having read the subsequent posts to mine I would add this:

Think professionally.

How would you present any argument / facts / information?

How would you expect to be represented in court?

For example, by a rambling, emotive, rhetorical lawyer ............ or ............... by a factually informed, detailed, succinct lawyer.

Any tugging at heart strings can be added and contained to a sentence. As can any plea.

Short and simple.

Remember someone has to read it. And they do say keep it to one side of A4 or you're lost.

• 1 year later...

Here's another letter of support hot off the press for critique. Any comments would be most welcomed:

Entry Clearance Officer xxxxxxxx,
UKBA, UK Embassy xxxx Road,
14 Wireless Road xxxxxxx,
Lumpini, Pathumwan xxxxxxx.
Bangkok. 10330. xxxxxxxxxxx.
Thailand xxx xxx UK.
April xxth 2013
Dear Sir or Madam
Re: Application for a UK Settlement Visa – xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
I am writing in support of my wife, xxxxxx xxxxx, in respect of her visa application to settle with me in the United Kingdom.
Brief Background
I am a British national and have been living in Thailand since October 2007 (see file section x). I am a fully qualified accountant (see file section x) and so have the option of returning to the profession when resettled in the UK. Initially however, my wife and I would be living off my savings (see file section x), so will not require recourse to public funds, and Xxxxxxx herself is very keen to find employment as soon as possible and start contributing to the family income. In addition, my parents have kindly offered to let us stay at their house rent-free for as long as we need – see file section x for more information.
Relationship History
Xxxxxxx and I first met in March of 2009 at the birthday party of a mutual friend in xxxxxx, Thailand. We started seeing each other shortly after that, eventually moving in together in September 2009. We have lived together in xxxxxxx in 4 different rented properties since then (see file section x) and were married in Bangkok on 3rd April 2013. Our Thai marriage documents plus English translations are included in file section x.
Although never previously married, Xxxxxxx has an 8 year old daughter called Yxxxxx. As a single parent, Xxxxxxx mostly worked away from home to support her family and Yxxxxx was largely raised by her grandparents. Since we’ve been together it’s been my privilege to lend some financial support to Xxxxxx’s family and we’ve enjoyed having Yxxxxx stay with us every year during her school holidays. For the last year, Yxxxxx has stayed with us full-time in xxxxxxx, but we have decided for the sake of minimal disruption and an easier transition, that it would be preferable to make a separate visa application for Yxxxxx to join us in the UK when we are fully settled. In the interim she will return to stay with her grandparents in xxxxx, north-east Thailand.
Current Circumstances
At the time of writing I have returned to the UK to obtain the remaining documents required for Xxxxxx’s visa application and I’m also using this opportunity to explore employment prospects and potential areas in which to live. Xxxxxxx will of course remain in Thailand to await the outcome of her application and is already very excited at the prospect of life in the UK. We have discussed in great detail our plans of where to live, where we’ll work, places we’ll visit etc….so I thank you for taking the time to read this letter of support and trust that we have been able to provide sufficient evidence that we are in a genuine and subsisting relationship and that I am able to fully support my wife in the UK.
Xxxxxxx has included my UK contact details in section x of the application form. Should you require any further information from me please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Yours faithfully,
xxxxxx xxxxxx

Hi Tony. Yes, I meet the financial requirement via having instant access savings of over £62,500 for the required 6 month period.

In my draft letter above:

" Initially however, my wife and I would be living off my savings (see file section x)".......

Edited by TCA

Any comments on someone else's letter will be purely personal views. The letter is basically fine, and some of the content is unnecessary but can be left in. For instance, the ECO is not really interested in your plans on where you will work and visit, etc. He is only interested that you meet the financial requirement.

I do think you need to be careful in your comments about your wife's daughter. Your wife will be looking at proving sole responsibility sometime in the future, and your letter does have some negative connotations. For instance, saying "Yxxxxx was largely raised by her grandparents" is not actually wrong, as this is permissible, but already the ECO will be thinking that your wife did not have sole responsibility. I would take the opportunity here to lay the groundwork for a future settlement application by mentioning the many things that show your wife's sole responsibility, and your reluctance to leave the child behind, etc, and you can then refer back to this letter whenever the settlement application is made.

Take out "Since we’ve been together it’s been my privilege to lend some financial support to Xxxxxx’s family" and put in something that reinforces the fact that you have financially supported your wife and her child since you met. There's actually quite a lot of stuff you could put in this paragraph, but you don't want to overdo it. It is, however, important for the future.

As I said, the thoughts above are personal, and it's up to you want to include. The ECO will be checking that the financial requirement ( and the accommodation requirement) is met, and that your relationship is genuine. Beyond that, he will not have much interest in the letter as your application is fairly straightforward ( that's a good thing ).

Tony M

Thanks very much Tony. You've hit on my main area of concern - details about my wife's daughter. It almost crossed my mind that I shouldn't mention her at all and leave that for my wife's supporting letter?

I'll take out the bit about being raised by grandparents as you are correct in that it needn't be highlighted. In fact, maybe it would also be better not to mention that she's only lived with us this past year? From memory there's no requirement to detail this (only does the child live with us now), so maybe omit this completely?

Financial support would then be implied given we're altogether?

There's photographic evidence of her daughter with us every year but of course in other sections of the file I mention my wife and I living together without mention of her daughter. Messy....

Edited by TCA

Thanks very much Tony. You've hit on my main area of concern - details about my wife's daughter. It almost crossed my mind that I shouldn't mention her at all and leave that for my wife's supporting letter?

I'll take out the bit about being raised by grandparents as you are correct in that it needn't be highlighted. In fact, maybe it would also be better not to mention that she's only lived with us this past year? From memory there's no requirement to detail this (only does the child live with us now), so maybe omit this completely?

Financial support would then be implied given we're altogether?

There's photographic evidence of her daughter with us every year but of course in other sections of the file I mention my wife and I living together without mention of her daughter. Messy....

I obviously cannot advise you to say anything that is not true. You have a good opportunity to set the scene for a future settlement application, and the truth,as you have said it, does not seem to harm any "sole responsibility " argument. What I am saying is that you should emphasise the relevant points, and keep evidence ( for instance that your wife's daughter was in school where you now live, evidence of financial support, etc).

The application form does ask where children live, and with whom, so you will have to put that on the form. The ECO can also phone the child's grandparents to confirm information, so the truth is always best. But your supporting letter gives you the opportunity to explain the background.

Thanks again Tony. I certainly won't be writing anything that isn't true, I'm just wondering whether keeping information to a minimum might absolve me from giving too much "unnecessary" information. Looking at the form itself, it only asks if the applicant has children, do they live with the applicant and will they be part of the application? So yes, yes and no.

How about I replace that whole section with:

"Although never previously married, Xxxxxx has an 8 year old daughter called Zzzzzz who lives with us and attends school in xxxxxx. After much deliberating, it’s with reluctance that we’ve decided it would be better to make a separate visa application for Zzzzzz to join us in the UK at a later date. We feel the transition for her would be much easier when we are settled in our own accommodation, gainfully employed and had time to check out local schools etc… In the interim, Zzzzzz would stay with her grandparents in Thailand and attend school locally. We are also making provisions for her to receive additional English language tuition in the meantime, which we feel can only help when she arrives in the UK."

Not a word of a lie told and no need to mention how long her daughter has lived with us. Doesn't contradict anything in the application form. As for proof, we can probably use her end of term school report but of course previous years and next years would be from her old school in her parent's village. Nothing can change that.

As for proof of financial support, that has taken the form of bank transfers from my wife's account to her mum's account (although not easy to spot unless we get access to the mother-in-law's bank statements), but we don't have that info as I didn't think relevant to my wife's settlement application. Currently any money being sent is for her mum and dad, as opposed to for her daughter. Obviously by living with us her daughter is provided for and there's no money changing hands in that respect.

I'm getting a bit lost in what I'm trying to prove here. Am I correct in presuming that none of this is required for my wife's visa application and this is only for her child's application later?

Edited to say: I do have a recent hospital bill for my wife's daughter and can show withdrawals from my bank account paying for this. This was intended to be included with an analysis of bank transactions (from my wife's account and my account) showing withdrawals from my sterling foreign currency account and deposits into her Thai baht account on the same days for our daily use ongoing. By way of demonstrating a financial relationship.

Edited by TCA

Thanks again Tony. I certainly won't be writing anything that isn't true, I'm just wondering whether keeping information to a minimum might absolve me from giving too much "unnecessary" information. Looking at the form itself, it only asks if the applicant has children, do they live with the applicant and will they be part of the application? So yes, yes and no.

How about I replace that whole section with:

"Although never previously married, Xxxxxx has an 8 year old daughter called Zzzzzz who lives with us and attends school in xxxxxx. After much deliberating, it’s with reluctance that we’ve decided it would be better to make a separate visa application for Zzzzzz to join us in the UK at a later date. We feel the transition for her would be much easier when we are settled in our own accommodation, gainfully employed and had time to check out local schools etc… In the interim, Zzzzzz would stay with her grandparents in Thailand and attend school locally. We are also making provisions for her to receive additional English language tuition in the meantime, which we feel can only help when she arrives in the UK."

Not a word of a lie told and no need to mention how long her daughter has lived with us. Doesn't contradict anything in the application form. As for proof, we can probably use her end of term school report but of course previous years and next years would be from her old school in her parent's village. Nothing can change that.

As for proof of financial support, that has taken the form of bank transfers from my wife's account to her mum's account (although not easy to spot unless we get access to the mother-in-law's bank statements), but we don't have that info as I didn't think relevant to my wife's settlement application. Currently any money being sent is for her mum and dad, as opposed to for her daughter. Obviously by living with us her daughter is provided for and there's no money changing hands in that respect.

I'm getting a bit lost in what I'm trying to prove here. Am I correct in presuming that none of this is required for my wife's visa application and this is only for her child's application later?

Edited to say: I do have a recent hospital bill for my wife's daughter and can show withdrawals from my bank account paying for this. This was intended to be included with an analysis of bank transactions (from my wife's account and my account) showing withdrawals from my sterling foreign currency account and deposits into her Thai baht account on the same days for our daily use ongoing. By way of demonstrating a financial relationship.

Yes, this is for any future application for your wife's daughter. Setting the scene, so to speak. You don't need to include documentary evidence concerning the child in your wife's application, just be aware of it for the future. There is no harm in including detail in your current supporting letter which can be referred to in the child's future application. But now is a good time to start preparing, for instance the grandparents bank statements as they will be very useful in the future in showing financial support to the child through them.

Your replacement paragraph looks okay. I would add a little something to say that, although grandparents will be looking after the child on a day to day basis, your wife will be in constant contact by phone/Skype/etc in order to maintain contact, care and control.

Brillliant Tony, thanks. I'll make the amends to the letter and we'll be mindful of retaining documents for the child application later. That's something else ticked off the list.

Probably next is a letter from my wife as the applicant. Will do some googling to see what others have used but can't see it being radically different to my sponsor letter. Except perhaps with poorer grammar! ;)

Brillliant Tony, thanks. I'll make the amends to the letter and we'll be mindful of retaining documents for the child application later. That's something else ticked off the list.

Probably next is a letter from my wife as the applicant. Will do some googling to see what others have used but can't see it being radically different to my sponsor letter. Except perhaps with poorer grammar! wink.png

She doesn't have to provide a letter of support. It is not a requirement. Your letter can contain all of the required information, as you live together anyway. If you want to provide a letter from her, you can, but in more than 3 years of submitting visa applications I never submitted a letter from the applicant.

She doesn't have to provide a letter of support. It is not a requirement. Your letter can contain all of the required information, as you live together anyway. If you want to provide a letter from her, you can, but in more than 3 years of submitting visa applications I never submitted a letter from the applicant.

That's good to know. Not sure I could add anything that's not in my supporting letter anyway. The only reason I can think for doing so, would be further laying of groundwork for her daughter's future application. Again it wouldn't say much more than in my sponsor letter but perhaps it also has to be said from the mother herself? Not sure.

That's good to know. Not sure I could add anything that's not in my supporting letter anyway. The only reason I can think for doing so, would be further laying of groundwork for her daughter's future application. Again it wouldn't say much more than in my sponsor letter but perhaps it also has to be said from the mother herself? Not sure.

At this stage a letter from your wife about her daughter won't make any difference to her application. When it comes to submitting an application for the child, then your wife is really the main sponsor ( although you will also be a sponsor, mainly financially ?). A letter from her at that time will then be a good thing to provide.

That sounds reasonable. I was just thinking in terms of this laying of groundwork re a future application for her daughter, it might sound better coming from the mother herself now at this point in time, rather than from me as sponsor.

i.e. something from the mum now as opposed to nothing. But if you think covering this in the sponsor letter is sufficient, I think I'll go minus an applicant letter.

Edited by TCA

That sounds reasonable. I was just thinking in terms of this laying of groundwork re a future application for her daughter, it might sound better coming from the mother herself now at this point in time, rather than from me as sponsor.

i.e. something from the mum now as opposed to nothing. But if you think covering this in the sponsor letter is sufficient, I think I'll go minus an applicant letter.

It's personal choice. Certainly, if you think it adds to the application, or the future application, then no problem with having a letter from your wife. I get the feeling it will make you feel better, so go for it.