Pm Dubbed "the Slave Master"

george

Ridicule once a year is ok: Thaksin

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra appeared in a good mood yesterday when speaking to Government House reporters about the end-of-year nicknames dealt out to his Cabinet members and, of course, himself.

Thaksin said he viewed the annual practice as "political fun-poking" ahead of serious business in the New Year.

The premier's apparent good humour came as allegations were levelled that the media had been "reined in" during the past year.

In a statement released earlier this week, the Thai Journalists Associa-|tion charged that the government |wielded state and financial power |to intimidate the media, resulting in |self-censorship becoming common practice at many news organisa-|tions.

"It's OK to me. At least the reporters had a good time thinking of the names for me and other ministers. We are pleased to be subjects of ridicule once a year," Thaksin said yesterday.

Addressing Government House reporters, the prime minister was lavish in his praise for their "mature understanding" of political matters. He said they had asked creative questions and consequently written good articles.

"You have improved much from when I first took office in 2001. And this has helped me to work more happily," he said.

Thaksin was dubbed "The Slave Master" for his alleged strategy of enticing the electorate to spend anticipated future earnings today, thus fuelling consumer-driven economic growth, but also chaining voters to their credit lines.

His government was branded "Ua Athorn" (We Care), in sly reference to its policy of boosting its popularity with handouts of low-priced goods and services.

A number of other Cabinet members were also given monikers by Government House reporters.

Agriculture Minister Somsak Thepsuthin said he thought the nickname "Hundred Tongues for Mega Projects" did not correctly explain his performance during the past 12 months. However, he said he held no grudge against the reporters, because didn't think they meant any ill feeling.

The Government House press corps said Somsak was awarded the name for his smooth-talking promotion of expensive projects.

Culture Minister Anurak Jureemas, who was dubbed the "Political Puppet" because of his docile subservience to Chat Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa, said he accepted any criticism from the media, even if it wasn't completely accurate.

--The Nation 2003-12-31