What Do You Like About Chiang Rai? Dislikes?

Trebek

FINAL UPDATE:

I saw a couple of the Dutch guys and told them the story. They said they would talk to him and what he did wasn't cool. They then shook my hand. His name is Gip or something like that.

Sometimes I wondered if it was appropiate to reveal this incident here, but since we are on the subject of Dutch in CR I told it as it all unfolded. My impression is still a good one.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread has served its purpose (until we got off the subject....once or twice). I appreciate you all for responding, and I hope to meet many of you this summer.

Cheers,

Trebek

hello mr trebek

i have just browsed the response from your first post last year,i was a bit taken back with one or two of the responses there was a few distasteful words mentions for me if somebody said something to me that i did not like i would sort it out face to face rather than post it on a forum were the guy is asking whats the place like to bring his son too.

i dont know how old your son his but in my case i have two kids that have so far have not given me a moments trouble they travel on average four hours a day to go and come home from school because we choose to live in a village just outside of chaingrai i make sacrafices to pay the school fees but when i see on public transport buses in the uk "its cool to be in school"because they wont go to school even though its free and then i read in the newspapers that the best way to reform the so many little yobos is to send them on all expensives paid holidays i think the sacrafices i make here are worhwhile.

i dont want to go on too much about chaingrai but for me overall its the best place in the world to live i first came here over 18 years ago built a house 15 years ago and rest assured i will die here later than sooner i hope.

if you are serious about living in chaingrai give it a chance the positives far outweigh the negatives

Thanks Soap,

I'll try to make down there in a month or two to check the area out. It seems like the place in Thailand that suits me the most, but you never really know what a place is like until you go there.

Cheers,

Trebek

• 4 years later...

Some things change, some don't. Maybe just the faces change. For all the bitchin' about the newbie chatterboxes who have taken over the forum, it seems that the originals outdid the newbies. I guess the originals just forgot.

Some other things have changed. Some others haven't. I'll have to read this thread again in a hundred years and see what else is new.

Thanks Tyree for your contribution, even if it didn't contribute much :D .

I am up to 26 Dutch Chiang Rai residents in the mean time (I started to count the women as well). The same color of passport, the same national hymn, the same language, the same national football-team, the same overinflated self-conscience.

Long live the Queen!

But as Mymechew pointed out: Permanently at war with each other, which is a national characteristic. That is why we are so peaceful to the outer world.

Some of them seem to be escaped from lunitic asylums, some act normal but are crazy as well. With other words: Normal Dutch people!

Always divided into changing factions, always gossipping about those not present.

But over all they are OK!

There are some exceptions however, which I would prefer to be Americans or something like that, so that they wouldn't be Dutch.

But I can't change anything about that.

Anyhow, the first Dutchman in 'Thailand' was Cornelis Houtman (1595).

Have a nice weekend, all of you (and I even mean this horrible, annoying, loud and fat Dutchman who is always yelling at other people - between the first and the sixth glass he is OK, but after twelve glasses he becomes a pain in the a)!

Limbo.

PS. I personally like Australians :o

I like you too.