12 Month Me Visa Australia With Nfs

Good afternoon

I have been reading this forum and have learnt a lot over the last 6 months.

My Thai Gf has been to Australia once already for 3 months between January and March this year. I have been living in Thailand with her since March this year. In September we plan on applying for a a 12 month ME visa and get married whilst in Australia. From what I have read on here, it is likely they will place 8503 condition on her visa, which means we will have to go back to Thailand to apply for spouse visa. My question is this: If we return to Thailand after the first 3 months in Australia, and apply for spouse visa, what are they likely to do with her current 12 month ME visa. I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before, but I have read a lot through the pages and cannot find anyone in quite the same situation. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Edited by Paultl

That is an awfully big assumption that you will be able to get a 12 month M/Entry.

I had a very good migration agent (got 6 months for my tgf) and I have been personally told by a senior Australian officer at the embassy that 6 months is not normally given, the norm being 3 months.

You would prob be aware that std processing is now up to 13 months also.

I would get the 309 done asap. and try for what ever you feel lucky to get time wise for a 676 tourist visa.

But i don't like your chances of a 12 month ME

If the OP means a 12 month tourist visa with exit every three months then it is quite likely that having gotten an initial three month tourist visa she will be granted a 12 month multi exit re entry visa.

This has been the norm for many of us who have gone down the same path.

What condition you get on your visa is hard to say but my girlfriend did not have the 8503 condition on her visa. If you do have to go back to Thailand her visa to Australia should still be valid it will be more a matter of getting the timing right for when she can come back.

If the OP means a 12 month tourist visa with exit every three months then it is quite likely that having gotten an initial three month tourist visa she will be granted a 12 month multi exit re entry visa.

What condition you get on your visa is hard to say but my girlfriend did not have the 8503 condition on her visa. If you do have to go back to Thailand her visa to Australia should still be valid it will be more a matter of getting the timing right for when she can come back.

I would be interested to know how many people here have had partners, friends etc who have been granted 12 months multiple entry. From my experience they are not handed out like candy. Would be very interested to hear of other people experiences.

Bridge

Thanks for your reply Tolley,

Yes a 12 month tourist visa with exit every three months is exactly what I mean, from reading on here it seams most people have the 8503, if thats the case i wonder if when returning to Thailand within the first 3 months of the Visa, applying for Spouse visa then returning to Australia again on the same tourist visa again would be out of the question, or can they cancel that tourist visa on you and make you re-apply for a new one.

Thanks for your reply Tolley,

Yes a 12 month tourist visa with exit every three months is exactly what I mean, from reading on here it seams most people have the 8503, if thats the case i wonder if when returning to Thailand within the first 3 months of the Visa, applying for Spouse visa then returning to Australia again on the same tourist visa again would be out of the question, or can they cancel that tourist visa on you and make you re-apply for a new one.

I would be interested to know how many people here have had partners, friends etc who have been granted 12 months multiple entry. From my experience they are not handed out like candy. Would be very interested to hear of other people experiences.

Bridge

Hi Bridge, I would also like to know this.

My TGF has just been granted another 3 months tourist visa with condition 8503 . It was made very clear that we wanted a 12 month multi entry visa when the application was submitted at the Embassy. one June 29, the visa was dated july 4, so pretty quick considering there was a weekend in there, Unfortunatelt not the visa we wanted but wwe can live with it. Not sure what we do next time though. As she lives in the far NE it is a hassle to apply all the time, not to mention the cost!!

Anyway we will enjoy the next 3 months in Australia and work out our next plan.

My GF has had 2 12 month visas but this year when we applied for a 12 month visa we only got a three month one.

Maybe there has been a change in policy on this I don't know.

But previously I know a number of people who got a three month visa initially and then a 12 month visa.

• 2 months later...

Just an update, we applied for Tourist Visa on 23/9/11, got a message back today to say it was ready for collection at VFS, just picked it up, 3 Month, multiple entry, valid for 12 months, NO conditions attatched and NO medical asked for, cant believe it, exactly what we planned for, thanks to those who posted advice.

Just an update, we applied for Tourist Visa on 23/9/11, got a message back today to say it was ready for collection at VFS, just picked it up, 3 Month, multiple entry, valid for 12 months, NO conditions attatched and NO medical asked for, cant believe it, exactly what we planned for, thanks to those who posted advice.

Congratulations.

I'm just a little confused. Is this a standard 3 month TV just with multiple entries or am i misreading something?

I thought medicals were only required for anything over 3 months.

My partner is here in oz on her second TV. The first one was 3 months and this one is for 6 months which she needed a medical clearance for.

Congratulations.

I'm just a little confused. Is this a standard 3 month TV just with multiple entries or am i misreading something?

I thought medicals were only required for anything over 3 months.

My partner is here in oz on her second TV. The first one was 3 months and this one is for 6 months which she needed a medical clearance for.

If the visa permits the holder to remain in Australia for more than 3 months continuously. For example 6 months single entry, then x-ray required. As a 12 month ME max 3 month stay doesn't, no x-ray. Kind of makes a mockery of the health requirement doesn't it?

He has the 12 month multi entry allowing for stays of no longer tham 3 months during the life of visa, as each stay is only 3 months max....no xray is required same as a 3 month tourist visa.

As it appears that there is no 8503 condition then they can apply for a more substantive visa at any time....I believe that once the substantive visa is granted then the 12 month ME visa would be cancelled.

My wife got a 12 month ME after one 3 month tourist visa. There was no 8503 condition on it, that was nearly 5 years ago.

Dont forget when you want a 6 or 12 month visa then you have to tick the right box on the application form

OK i am missing something here so pardon my ignorance.lol

What is the advantage of a 12 month ME visa when you can only stay in the country no longer than 3 months?

Why not just apply for a defacto visa?

It means that the holder can travel to Oz multiple times without applying and paying for further visas.....if the holder does 4 trips on the one visa then the saving is around 330 bucks

Defacto visas are not easy to get and cost a bucketload of money, also there is a fairly lengthy processing time.

Edited by gburns57au
  • Like 1

OK i am missing something here so pardon my ignorance.lol

What is the advantage of a 12 month ME visa when you can only stay in the country no longer than 3 months?

Why not just apply for a defacto visa?

It means that the holder can travel to Oz multiple times without applying and paying for further visas.....if the holder does 4 trips on the one visa then the saving is around 330 bucks

Defacto visas are not easy to get and cost a bucketload of money, also there is a fairly lengthy processing time.

I know that but cant see the logic in it.

Been told that the 12 month ME TV is very hard to get. Factoring in the extra flights in and out, it would end up very expensive.

IMO if you can get a 12 month ME visa you should just about be right for a defacto visa which enables ME's if needed.

IIRC the defacto visa is about 3k and takes around 4 months. Mate just got one for his partner and seemed pretty basic and as long as the criteria is met not really difficult.

Just curious as to what reasoning you can give for needing a 12 month TV as we had a bit of difficulty getting the 6 month. In the end they took it on board that after spending time together in Thailand, then a 3 month TV in oz we wanted a 6 month TV for oz to push us over the 12 month minimum requirement to then apply for a defacto visa.

The honesty seemed to do the trick.

Been told that the 12 month ME TV is very hard to get. Factoring in the extra flights in and out, it would end up very expensive.

IMO if you can get a 12 month ME visa you should just about be right for a defacto visa which enables ME's if needed.

IIRC the defacto visa is about 3k and takes around 4 months. Mate just got one for his partner and seemed pretty basic and as long as the criteria is met not really difficult.

Just curious as to what reasoning you can give for needing a 12 month TV as we had a bit of difficulty getting the 6 month. In the end they took it on board that after spending time together in Thailand, then a 3 month TV in oz we wanted a 6 month TV for oz to push us over the 12 month minimum requirement to then apply for a defacto visa.

For a defacto visa you have to show you have been living together as a couple for 12 months, not everyone can do that.

Not sure but I dont think time spent together on tourist visas counts toward the 12 month requirement

Edited by gburns57au

For a defacto visa you have to show you have been living together as a couple for 12 months, not everyone can do that.

Not sure but I dont think time spent together on tourist visas counts toward the 12 month requirement

You have to show that you have been in a relationship for 12 months which doesnt necessarily mean living together. As long as you can prove the relationship existed with emails, phone calls, financial support and in my case time in Thailand and time living together in oz during TV's the 12 month minimum is met.

As you quite rightly posted, not everyone can necessarily maintain a relationship living together for 12 months consecutively hence the relationship criteria. This especially applies to someone who works in oz full time.

really it all boils down to being able to prove that you have been together at least 12 months and that i meet all financial criteria to provide support, there shouldnt really be a drama.

For her fourth visit to Oz my lady was granted a multi entry visa valid for twelve months. Wasn't applied for, and was of little use, as that was when I moved to Thailand. :rolleyes:

To clear a few things up, if you apply for PR in Australia while holding a valid visa (can't do so if 8503 on arrival visa) you continue on under the conditions of your visa until it expires. i.e. the end of the 3m stay.

At that stage a Bridging Visa A (that you applied for with the PR applic) kicks in. It allows a stay until the application is decided and has the same conditions as your previous visa. If you want to work during this period you need to apply for permission. (unless your first visa allowed you to do so)

If you want to travel out of Oz during this period you need to apply for a Bridging visa B first. Do not try to use your ME tourist visa. You will no longer have that status nor visa.

Ok, just to clear things up for everyone. The reason for applying for this visa was, from vast research on this forum as well as others i found that the 12 month ME visa was unlikely to have any conditions attached to it, meaning we can apply for a spouse visa in Australia (we will be married by the time we arrive on Oz), this means no time apart, no expensive tickets for me or my partner to visit each other, i can continue my work in Australia instead of taking so much time off coming to Thailand. The cost of the visa is the same, so if they refused that visa and only gave her 3 months then we have lost nothing. I hope this clears up the confusion.

That does clear things up and once again well done.

Just wondering what time frames others have had between granting of TV's.

My partner received a 3 month TV for OZ last November. She then went back in February and in April this year applied for a 6 month TV which was granted.

She was told by the officer at the time that she would not be granted another TV so soon.

Should this be taken as gospel and still attempt to try for say a ME TV?

I appreciate some of you have been granted numerous TV's but just wondering over what period of time?